Sci-Fi Favorite Type of Sci Fi

Favorite Type of Sci Fi

• Cyberpunk (ex. Blade Runner)

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Steampunk (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Space Opera/ Inter Planetary (Star Trek/ Star Wars)

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • Post-Apocolyptic (Omega Man)

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Dying Earth (Planet of the Apes)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Time Travel (Terminator)

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Alternate Universe (Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes)

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Short (Twilight Zone type things)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Plain Old Future (A Scanner Darkly)

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Other/ Not mentioned

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Total voters
I'd have to say I mostly watch space opera, though I'm really interested in time travel
Can someone suggest a list of titles ?

Hi All

This is my thirst post here, some of my Favorites are:

Time Travel (Doctor Who), (Time Cop), (Back to the future 1, 2, 3)
Sci-Fi-Action (Matrix 1, 2), (Stargate SG1), (Stargate Atlantis)
Inter-Planetary (Star Trek), (Alien), (Aliens vs Predator), (Star Wars), (Battlestar Galactica) - From the 1970's, not the New one.
Robots (i Robot), (Terminator)

My Favorite type of Sci Fi would be any kind of Movie that deals with Time Travel going either direction,and it has to have good Special Effects oh and a good Story Line too.

I like just about any type sci fi movie. I am waiting for Joe Flanigan's two movies A Good Day For It and The Other Side to come on SyFy in 2011 and am waiting for MGM and Spyglass to give the Green Light for SG1 and SGA movies.

I really live Bruce Almighty and I robot.

Bruce Almighty because it is a really cool made movie and it includes some general wishes and believes of human beings.

And I-robot, because the story could come true sometimes. It's not that unrealistic and very imaginable.

Back To The Future first got me into sci fi. I also think this is the first movie I ever saw on VHS when I was a kid. (My dad just got a VCR that day if I remember correctly).

Then I got into Star Wars and Star Trek around the same time. Although my first experiences with both were the cartoons. The Ewok cartoon in the 80s and the Star Trek cartoon which was shown in reruns on Nickelodian.

This of course lead to watching all 3 Star Wars many times over by the age of 12.

Then I was introduced to Highlander the series. I remember watching this show every night it came on. (Xena and TNG came on the same night and channel). As I got older I have swayed more to futuristic societies like Orwell and Huxley. This I think is more of a sociological thing though.

I did pick Space Opera on the poll though, since it was in fact Star Wars and Star Trek that technically led me down the road of that sci fi craving. Recently I have enjoyed some steampunk stuff, but that is mostly Warehouse 13.

I like what is sometimes referred to as 'hard SF' - this often involves technology rooted in reality but which allows us to travel to the stars and beyond. Think Iain M Banks or Alistair Reynolds.

I am a fan of most everything mentioned. I do enjoy the Star Wars and Star Trek franchise offerings (for the most part). Zombies are also a favorite. I suppose zombies are more horror than SCIFI technically. Anyway, my wife and I are huge fans of The Walking Dead. One of the best shows on TV right now. Don't really have time to watch a lot of TV shows, but this is one of a few that I will make time for as it is extremely well done.

I clicked "other" because my favourite kind is sci-fi comedy. Red Dwarf, Hitch Hiker's Guide, and Futurama are my all-time faves. Other than the humour, all three share a sense of being lost that really appeals to me. Dave Lister and Arthur Dent are two different versions of the same character, which is the last man alive lost in space. The fact that they are very different is largely down to class (Lister is obsessed with curry and lager, while Arthur is lost without a good cup of tea). Fry from Futurama channels some of Lister's goodness and stupidity, and, being stranded 1,000 years in the future, could probably relate to his predicament. And all three have bittersweet love interests that heighten the loneliness (Kochanski, Leela, Trillian/Fenchurch).

I also enjoy the kind of whimsical "sci-fi" that's really just fantasy set in space, rather than Narnia or Hogwarts or wherever you normally find fantasy. Zathura, Larklight, The Little Prince, Marvin the Martian, etc..

Well you forgot the new type of Sci-fi, the Naturalistic Sci-fi. The first series of this kind was Battlestar Galactica Reimagined, that can't simply be associated to Space Opera, eventhough this type of sci-fi inspired BSG(2003).

Ronald D. Moore, the Executive producer, reached far beyond classical Space Opera with this serie. I mean this is realistic Sci-fi, where the mood is all about diary human life, no strange creatures, camera shots like war reporting. It feels real!

You should have proposed in the options this new type of sci-fi, wich is the same than SGU.

But as It's not there, I put BSG amongs Space Opera.

Back