Sci-Fi Favorite Type of Sci Fi

Favorite Type of Sci Fi

• Cyberpunk (ex. Blade Runner)

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Steampunk (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Space Opera/ Inter Planetary (Star Trek/ Star Wars)

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • Post-Apocolyptic (Omega Man)

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Dying Earth (Planet of the Apes)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Time Travel (Terminator)

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Alternate Universe (Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes)

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Short (Twilight Zone type things)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Plain Old Future (A Scanner Darkly)

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Other/ Not mentioned

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Total voters
1) Time Travel ('Sirens of Titan'...Vonnegut)
2) Alternate Universe ('Book of Job'...Heinlein)
3) Post-Apocolyptic ('The Lathe of Heaven'...LeGuin)
=)

I had to include 'other' with my votes to take into account alternate history works. :smiley:

Nikhaeli, welcome to Cool Sci-Fi! (y)

Space Opera/Inter-Planetary(Star Wars)
Other(Military Sci-Fi.......example: Heinlein's Starship Troopers, David Weber's Honor Harrington series)

i really dont think in terms of genre, more in individual authors.
the authors i like from the 50s, 60s or 70s are Corwainer Smith, , Ursula LeGuin, Harl Ellison, Larry Niven, Sam Delaney and Brian Aldiss.
I like long series of books like Ringworld and Dune; that whole sweeping epic thing. And i like the bizarre but well executed stuff that guys like Cordwainer Smith and R.A. Lafferty wrote.
As to newer stuff, M. John Harrison, Kay Kenyon. Kay kenyon is halfway through her own trilogy now, check it out. I liked the first two books a lot.
I read shorts anthologies a lot too.

For me, it doesn't get better than Blade Runner. I noticed a few years ago that every new science fiction movie I watch gets an initial appraisal based on how it compares to Blade Runner. I wasn't even doing this on purpose I think, just wishful thinking for more sci-fi noir.

Spece opera, alien invasions, visions of the future (distopic or utopic ), military sci fi , " X Files style"...yeah...this are my favorite sci fi genres...

And this is my first post here...hello all!!!:smiley:

Any all.
The best are always the ones with engineering, errors, escape, entrapment, and erotica.
If it has a "cookie" in it, it's always better. Be that Ivanova, Rand, Troy, 7 of 9. etc..
The Phillip K. Dick stuff as Blade Runner, Screamers, Imposter usually ... does.
The newest Outer Limits (Canadian) has many as well.
These people knows what sells me.

Not surprised that space opera/inter planetary is leading in the votes. For a lot of people, including myself, Star Wars and/or Star Trek are what got us into sci-fi to begin with.

I have to say all as well as the Beast
But I must admit I love Time travel :cool:

Terminator
12 Monkeys
Back To The future :D
Donnie Darko ( oh! could be a debate looming !)

Back