Politics FCC proposes $1.2 million indecency fine for Fox!

ivand67

Sydney's Lover
Fox facing $1.2 million fine

How can the FCC have so much power in the "land of the free"?

I mean sure, there has to be regulation to some degree over what we hear and watch on TV, but a $1.2 million fine? Ever since the accident of Janet's breast, which was shown for no more than 1 ridiculous second, the FCC, with its clear ties to the Bush administration (Powell Jr.), is clearly abusing its power and stepping all over the first amendment.

As Bill Maher puts it, there is no real freedom in this country when compared to Europe.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

BTW, NBC is so scared of the FCC that they actually had to put a delay on broadcasts of NASCAR racing because someone in the public said the F-word and it was heard. I don't care about NASCAR, but if that ever happened to hockey, I'd be totally pissed. This is getting ridiculous.

This so completely ridiculous. I feel like the governernment is treating us like children, like politicians know what we can handle. I'm starting to think that the only place for free speech is the Internet.

ms.katejones said:
I'm starting to think that the only place for free speech is the Internet.
[post="1026496"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I wish THAT was true, but unfortunately some sites also run some harsh rules and force you to do things their way. I guess in that case it's a service that THEY'RE providing you, so they have the right in some ways to force you to live by their rules.

Satellite radio is gonna be awesome once Howard gets on it in 2006.

That's ridiculous! It's not like Fox had any control over the "clothing malfunction" or whatever they're calling it. :rolleyes:

And it's not like every single person in the world doesn't have nipples.

I'm just wondering who would want to watch that kind of rubbish.....

Isn't it about time this reality television craze went away?

Natalia said:
I'm just wondering who would want to watch that kind of rubbish.....

Isn't it about time this reality television craze went away?
[post="1027044"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

You're totally right... but that's just not the point.

Existentialist said:
That's ridiculous! It's not like Fox had any control over the "clothing malfunction" or whatever they're calling it.  :rolleyes:

And it's not like every single person in the world doesn't have nipples.
[post="1026747"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well, they do have control over it because it probably wasn't live so they could have edited it... and no I don't think they should show nipples before 10 PM (after 10 they should have a ton of freedom, and after 12 or 1 AM they should be able to show just about anything, IMO).

The problem is the FCC abusing its power by fining them a whopping $1.2 million which is totally insane. This year, after Janet's little nip show, they've raised the fines dollar amounts by like 10000% or some ridiculous figure like that. THAT'S the problem. And of course, their shameless abuse of power overall...

You're totally right... but that's just not the point.
I know.

But nothing about conservatism in America surprises me anymore. My country's leaders are starting to follow America's example. We are going backwards.

Natalia said:
I know.

But nothing about conservatism in America surprises me anymore. My country's leaders are starting to follow America's example. We are going backwards.
[post="1027744"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That sucks... I think we should all move to the Netherlands or Sweden... in comparison to the US, there's no conservatism over there!

I think we should all move to the Netherlands or Sweden... in comparison to the US, there's no conservatism over there!
:lol: I will never forget the two days I was more or less forced to spend in the red light district of Amsterdam (with my American male friends). :lol:

Back