Federation surplus

Why was Brett Jones allowed off the hook so easily?

This thread was posted 24 March 2008, and he responded 3 September 2008, six months later?

He ignored the customers on this forum for almost a year (10 months according to Captain8472, and 2 years according to Uileag) but kept their money.

Captain8472 said his $500 was held for almost 10 months with no communication from Brett until he threatened legal action.

Uileag said his emails were bounced back and not answered.

Nexuswk said he got scammed out of $800.

From Brent's Utube page----> We make the screen accurate Props with working lights and sounds that match exactly those seen on screen. Here you will find examples of our work.

All of our prop replicas are made using either screen used pieces for masters or unbuilt pieces straight out of the original molds. all of our electronics are made by the man who did it for the shows. You can not find a higher quality, more accurate product when it comes to Star Trek props. Enjoy the view!

Since Brent advertises he makes such accurate replicas, couldn't that encourage some purchasers to commit fraud later on by trying to pass his replicas as the real thing?

Brett Jones is probably one of the worst business men I have ever encountered. The $500 was charged to my credit card the instant I hit "place order", but when it came to actually giving me my merchandise he couldn't seem to care less. Getting him to respond to my emails, ship my merchandise, or give me a refund was like trying to get a kid to take out the trash or do homework...I felt like I was really pulling teeth just to get a response out of him. I mean months would go by between his responses and they were always empty promises like "I'll ship it later this week". My advice would be to never NEVER do business of any kind with him, it was horrible.

Megatron - everyone here was either shipped out their merchandise or refunded their money. Why so bitter?
This thread was posted 24 March 2008, and he responded 3 September 2008, six months later?

He ignored the customers on this forum for almost a year (10 months according to Captain8472, and 2 years according to Uileag) but kept their money.

Regardless of when the thread was posted I knew nothing of it or this forum and stumbled across it when I did.

Since Brent advertises he makes such accurate replicas, couldn't that encourage some purchasers to commit fraud later on by trying to pass his replicas as the real thing?

The fact that you even think of this is disturbing and shows more about your intentions than I think you intended.

In short, the problems in this thread were dealt with and that's why it went dead. If you have a specific issue then deal with it, otherwise you should look up the rules on baiting.

Yep, we don't need this whole argument being brought up again and flogged since it has already died of natural causes.

Megatron - everyone here was either shipped out their merchandise or refunded their money. Why so bitter?

Regardless of when the thread was posted I knew nothing of it or this forum and stumbled across it when I did.

The fact that you even think of this is disturbing and shows more about your intentions than I think you intended.

In short, the problems in this thread were dealt with and that's why it went dead. If you have a specific issue then deal with it, otherwise you should look up the rules on baiting.

You knew "nothing of this forum" and "stumbled across it"?

What a coincidence that you "stumbled across it", so long after ignoring the emails and contacts of:

1.)Captain8472 saying his $500 was held for almost 10 months.
2.)Uileag saying his emails were bounced back and not answered.
3.)Nexuswk saying he got scammed out of $800.

Their posts indicate you did not "deal with" their emails to you about not receiving their replicas you were supposed to create, in a timely manner.

That is not their fault or mine. It is yours.

Why would you find my question asking if people could try to sell your copies years later as originals, "disturbing"? It is a valid concern since you have created exact copies from "the original molds" of original props for your own gain.

I find that "disturbing".

By the way Mr. Jones, did you have a contract with the copy write holders of all of the replica props you have sold in the past? Are they licensed, approved replicas?

Tim.

I was not trying to bait anyone. I only was trying to follow up on the dialog started here since their were a few unresolved issues.

Captain8472 and everyone else who ordered merchandise deserved better.

It is obvious by Captain8472's current post, that he was "not satisfied" with his dealings with Brett and his company, and he has every right to state that.

Federation Surplus is still in business? I really don't see how, their website "has been closed" for over a year now. To answer your question about the merchandise being licensed by Paramount, I doubt it for a few reasons. If it was licensed as a real Star Trek prop I think paramount would keep a better watch on what sort of company tarnishes their name. If they were authorized by Paramount Brett Jones would have been fired or sued by the studio. The only prop replica sites I am aware of that are authorized are masterreplicas.com, and roddenberry.com.

Hello Captain. I am happy you finally received your money back after threatening legal action against Brett and his defunct company.

What I am not happy with, is how he tries to blame the people who are upset about his treatment of them.

Out of nowhere, many, many months later after this thread was started, he comes here after after the facts are presented, and tries to blame you, the others, and myself, for his business practices.

It is a very old tactic to blame the ones who expose unflattering facts about a business or persons behaviour. Brett seems to think that would go unnoticed, but it has not.

People who read this thread dread that this type of thing could happen to them. I am happy you, and the others brought it to light.

Brett's FederationSurplus website is still up but not functioning . It has some message about him not being able to get parts from a supplier as to the reason.

If that is true, then why doesn't he just hire another parts maker?

I know when someone is caught making illegal, unlicensed products, they are shut down and sometimes face legal action.

I don't know if that is the case in this instance, but I would be curious to know if Brett's FederationSurplus did have licenses for all of the replicas from the "original molds" that he has created in the past.

I originally started this thred so I think I should say something about it. Even though I do not condone the conduct of brett jones. He did eventually supply my tricorder which is of excellent quallity. he did not swindle me out of any money and as for as I am awhere he refunded everybody he could not supply props to. I dont think he is a conman, just a not so great business man.

Nexuswk, you did originally say this:

I completely agree with you this guy has scammed me out of $800 and thousands out of the rest of us I dont want to see him get away with it. but am not sure what to do as i live in the uk.

Then today you said this:

I originally started this thred so I think I should say something about it. Even though I do not condone the conduct of brett jones. He did eventually supply my tricorder which is of excellent quallity. he did not swindle me out of any money and as for as I am awhere he refunded everybody he could not supply props to. I dont think he is a conman, just a not so great business man.

If you are now happy that's great, but Uileag had to file a report with the ICCC to get results, and he still felt he was shorted $58.50. He was then berated by Brett for having the nerve to post his concerns here.

Captain8472 also had to mention legal action to get his refund.

That is not great. It also does not excuse what was done to people whose money was held for such a long time, with no product, response, or timely refunds from Brett.

Inexcusable.

Brett also never answered the question as to whether his replicas were legal, licensed replicas, or if they were illegal, unlicensed replicas.

Glad you are happy, but Captain8472 and Uileag have a different story to tell.

While I am grateful I did finally get a refund, I have to say it took way too long to get, and required a lot of effort and legal action threats on my part. I really didn't like how he came into this forum acting like we bad mouthed him for no reason, and exposed our identities. The way he said "I know who all of you are" and exposed our real names, makes it look like we were the ones in the wrong. As if were a bunch of kids who were caught by some authority figure doing something wrong.

While I am grateful I did finally get a refund, I have to say it took way too long to get, and required a lot of effort and legal action threats on my part. I really didn't like how he came into this forum acting like we bad mouthed him for no reason, and exposed our identities. The way he said "I know who all of you are" and exposed our real names, makes it look like we were the ones in the wrong. As if were a bunch of kids who were caught by some authority figure doing something wrong.

So true Captain8472.

It took way too long for you to get your money, only after you spent close to a year of ignored emails and contacts. The stress of wondering where your replica and money were only added to your frustration.

The fact both yourself and Uileag only received your monies after the threat of legal action, further supports your experiences.

It is clear that you too noticed Brett's feeble attempt at blaming you for his actions. Naming and berating people, as you mentioned, is not the way to respond.

Nobody should ever have to take the treatment you received in this instance.

You are 100% right, and now are better educated on whom you will do business with in the future.

By the way Captain8472. Do you know if Brett ever had a legal license to make his replicas?

I do not know if he has the right to make replicas or not. However, if you examine the way he runs his business it's hard to believe Paramount or the Roddenberry company would allow him to operate the way he does. When you have a franchise or a license from a major name like Star Trek, usually there is someone to watch over your shoulder to make sure you aren't giving the franchise a bad name. What do you think?

Come on guys. All you need is one comprehensive post about this situation. There's no need to continue bashing and bumping this thread up or eventually we'll think it's just sock puppets trolling. I think enough has been said on the topic. It's long done and dusted now.

Come on guys. All you need is one comprehensive post about this situation. There's no need to continue bashing and bumping this thread up or eventually we'll think it's just sock puppets trolling. I think enough has been said on the topic. It's long done and dusted now.

Brett, I mean Tim. I do not understand why you want to censor members valid concerns in an expensive business deal.

I understand what you mean, but people got the run around with this person and had to threaten legal action against him and his company to get satisfaction. His response here much later, berating those same people for their concerns, is not excusable or acceptable behaviour.

I also think it is relevant to ask Brett if his replicas were licensed, legal products sanctioned by the studios that own the copy writes.

I will not post on this again as to not upset you, and apologize for whatever reason it did. Me culpa.

Very nice - it's refreshing to see that you folks have to rehash this from "07. Holy felgercarb - everyone was made whole and the fact that Joseph Said can't get over it is something we will all have to live with.

Look folks, it's not as if I had a huge business here and took advantage of hundreds of people. I started doing this from my home and it grew into something I could offer through the internet and never took advantage of anyone. I operated on the razor's edge most of the time but always fulfilled my obligations. When an order came in I immediately paid for the electronics and started building the pieces. The electronics took months to get in good times but got increasingly difficult to obtain. I use the same supplier that Rod.com does/did. He screws them on a regular basis as you can see from their claim that they will ship when available. The secret is that they will never be available.. The difference between them and myself is that I chose not to run my business that way and closed it due to this very problem.

So let's review - I was paid by customers, I paid for the electronics when the orders came in (which was very often at least half the price of the prop). So now half of the money is gone, having been paid in advance. The rest went to supplies and at the end, to a new electronics person for R&D on getting new ones made. The tricorder electronics were a snap but the phaser electronics were near impossible to do. There's a reason that only one person makes them - he's the guy who did it originally for trek and he knows what he's doing - when he does it. In the last months of the store's existence I was bombarded with orders and fell behind so I closed the store temporarily to catch up and give Brian a chance to ship. He never did. I have paid for the holding page because I don't want customers to feel abandoned and you can still email me though the link.

I then was at the point where I had zero cash flow for 3 months - I could have opened back up and take money hand over fist, rolled down the shutters and split! I never did that. I was always dealing with customers and trying to satisfy them. All of the money was gone and the electronics have never shown. I went out and got a real job again to pay back the thousands owed to customers - to date I have refunded at least 5 thousand dollars for orders not delivered. The job I obtained has hellacious hours and I never know from one day to the next when I go in or leave work. Email was a non issue as I never had time to attend to it properly. Then when it slowed a bit I started to contact and work out deals with customers, I'd ask what they wanted to do, they'd tell me and we'd work it out. Yes, there were definitely times when I offered a refund and then had to wait to get the money together - but I always got it together, always. Sure, out of all of the people I probably left some customers hanging at times where I was unable to respond with the answer they wanted, but I always worked with them. I'd get emails from Brian saying he'd ship "that day" so I'd tell people that the electronics were on the way. I'd rather finish the piece than come up with 500 to pay them back. I even paid for new tricorder electronics and sound boards to finish some pieces. I was broke for a year and a half during this whole debacle.

Joseph Said and I worked back and forth between refund and getting the piece done - when it became obvious that I would never see the electronics for his phaser I promised the refund. He got it - bottom line - it had nothing to do with a threat from him - it had everything to do with being able to GET the money. Too bad he can't just move on, but some are stuck in the past. Bummer for him.

Captain8472 - you have no problem using my name here so why is it bad form to use yours? And I never blamed you for any of this - I was simply stating my side of things - should I not have?

Megatron - nice link to the same exact thread on another site - what's the point? How does that suppost anything? Those thread are direct copies of this one......

And to the irrelevant question of whether or not these were licensed pieces - maybe not - but neither are the Roddenberry.com pieces - they have no license to produce props or kits from Star Trek. :smiley:

Oh I am sorry, I thought this was America, I thought I had freedom of speech. I didn't realize I woke up in Russia this morning where Im not allowed to complain about failure entrepreneurs and how they frustrated me to no end. Brett listen, I am so sorry your business failed so hard, seriously. I really am so sorry that I complained about your incompetence to some guy named "Megatron" who emailed me with questions about my experiences with your business. I should have told him, "Yeah Megatron, my experience was great, and it really didn't make me think twice about ordering things online from obscure businesses". You talk about me rehashing the past, but you're in here too. I only answered questions posed to me by "Megatron" nothing more nothing less. For the record Roddenberry.com is licensed by Star Trek, as it is owned by the RODDENBERRY family; Majel Roddenberry was the CEO until she passed away.

Oh I am sorry, I thought this was America, I thought I had freedom of speech. I didn't realize I woke up in Russia this morning where Im not allowed to complain about failure entrepreneurs and how they frustrated me to no end. Brett listen, I am so sorry your business failed so hard, seriously. I really am so sorry that I complained about your incompetence to some guy named "Megatron" who emailed me with questions about my experiences with your business. I should have told him, "Yeah Megatron, my experience was great, and it really didn't make me think twice about ordering things online from obscure businesses". You talk about me rehashing the past, but you're in here too. I only answered questions posed to me by "Megatron" nothing more nothing less. For the record Roddenberry.com is licensed by Star Trek, as it is owned by the RODDENBERRY family; Majel Roddenberry was the CEO until she passed away.

Captain8472. There is no reason why you or anyone else who had problems with Federation Surplus and Brett, should apologize.

You and those who had valid complaints, have every right to to talk about it.

According to the complaints here, emails and concerns were ignored for a long period of time. In 2 cases, monies were not refunded until legal action was mentioned or taken.

I am not going to go into the rest of it because readers can see the complaints here and on the other links.

Captain8472. I do think you may have me confused with someone else though. I never emailed you.

You messaged me here on July 21st after I made a few posts, and I responded saying I agreed with you and the others who posted this thread. Maybe someone else who had a problem with Federation Surplus emailed you with questions. I don't blame you and the others for being so upset. You have every right to be. Don't let Brett or anyone else suggest otherwise.

As to Brett's recent response. I was not going to respond to it or any other posts, as I promised not to since Tim requested we refrain, but I feel a few things need to be addressed.

Brett's blaming those customers with problems is not acceptable. We all have problems in life, but his excuses in his post long after the fact, does not excuse how he ignored those customers and held on to their money.

Finally. I must respond to these two quotes made by Brett.

FederationSurplus said:
Megatron - nice link to the same exact thread on another site - what's the point? How does that suppost anything? Those thread are direct copies of this one......

One of those links had a few of the same members here mention their experiences with Brett. There also was a new, different person with the same problems.

The second link was a blog from someone entirely different as well.

FederationSurplus said:
And to the irrelevant question of whether or not these were licensed pieces - maybe not - but neither are the Roddenberry.com pieces - they have no license to produce props or kits from Star Trek.

It is relevant to question the legality of the replicas Brett created.

It is a very serious crime, to create and sell illegal, unlicensed replicas of original works.

As to whether or not Roddenberry.com has a license to create and sell their replicas I believe Captain8472 is correct in stating they are licensed.

If Roddenberry.com did not have a license, I think the studio would have worked it out to grant them one, since the owners of the site are the son and late wife of the creator of Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry. I don't believe Brett is either.

Hi all.

I just googled 'Federation Surplus' to see if their page was still up and running so I could use their contacts link to compose yet another email..

Instead I found this thread, and after reading through it would appear I will have more luck contacting the right man through this open forum.

I would like to say that all I am after is some form of communication so that I know the whereabouts of my order.

On 09/09/2007 I place an order with Federation Surplus.

Here is a copy of the order confirmation:
"Dear xxxx xxxxxxxxxx,

We hope you enjoyed shopping with 'FEDERATION SURPLUS'.
Please find below your purchase summary and order confirmation.

Purchase Summary for order #949215563:

Items
------------------------------------------------------------
Title Comm Badge - DS9/Voyager/FC/INS/NEM VELCRO
Id Vendio Stores #949215560
Quantity 1
Price $22.00
Title PHASER - HOLSTER Voyager-DS9 BOOMERANG
Id Vendio Stores #949215561
Quantity 1
Price $80.00
Title MARK X Tricorder Holster
Id Vendio Stores #949215562
Quantity 1
Price $70.00
Credits: $10.00
Sub-Total: $162.00
Shipping Carrier: USPS Priority Mail Intl
Shipping and Handling: $19.75
Grand Total: $181.75

Payment Method: paypal

Our terms of sale for your review:
Each piece is Custom Made to order. Orders will take 3 weeks to process new orders at this time.

Please contact us at fedsur@sbcglobal.net if you have any questions about the above transaction.

Thank you for your business!"

I communicated with the guy at Federation Surplus a couple of times in November 2007 to discuss an address change, and all seemed ok, no mention though of why the order was taking longer than the original 3 weeks quoted on the order confirmation. I am not a pushy person so I did not ask.

I emailed again on the 09/05/2008 to confirm that I did have a new address on my Paypal account and that this was the address that the goods should be shipped to when they were ready. Again I did not pursue the whereabouts of the goods as I had received an email earlier telling me that the guy making the props was working 92 hour 'days'? and was very much behind with the work, but promised the items would be sent asap.

Some time past with no message to tell me the goods were ready for despatch I emailed again on the 18/03/2009, message as follows:

'Hi,

It’s been 15 months since I placed my order.. any sign of it being fulfilled before we actually start making real star ships and leaving earth to explore the galaxy!?..

I understand from your website that you have been having issues with your electronic suppliers, which is a shame as I really fancied one of your hero pieces..

However my order does not require any electronics.. so I would have thought this less likely to be delayed?....

Thanks,

xxxx xxxxxxxxxx'

As you can see I have continued to maintain a positive tone to my communications as I would like to avoid things deteriorating and leaving any lasting bad feelings.

I am really just a bit upset that after nearly 2 years, despite my patients and positive attitude towards this matter that I am seemingly being ignored as I never received a response to my message and it was not sent back undelivered.

Having seen this thread and noted that the owner of Federation Surplus has stated that he has little time for emails, I hoped that maybe he would see my post and maybe we can pick up the thread and conclude our business deal.

Sorry this post has been so long winded.. just wanted to make sure that the relevant person knows which order I am talking about and see's that I have made efforts to speak to him and am not just whinging unnecessarily.

Cheers,
Adzdum

Back