Politics Female President

Should/Will A Woman Be Elected As President?

• Yes, They Should and Will

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, They Should, but No They won't

• No, They Shouldn't

• Unsure - Depends on the candidate

• Total voters
Actually, this discussion is open to examples from all areas--such as what noggi brought up.

There's no reason to limit discussion to America when AA caters to people around the world.

Jamison said:
I agree.  It seems people always peg her as 'too liberal', or bring up her being married to Bill as their reasons for not liking her.  She's a democrat!  She's supposed to be liberal.  It's rather refreshing to see someone who's not tiptoeing on the border of conservatism and liberalism.  Plus she has my beliefs and I think would make a great leader.

I would definitely vote for her...but if she doesn't run than Obama...I like him.
[post="1280520"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

As a democrat, she is rather liberal... but only because both democrats and republicans seem to be more towards the middle. Look at Kerry - he was a conservative democrat. Many democrats feel that if they are TOO liberal, it will make people uncomfortable.

People also call her a bit of a "b*tch"... but y'know what? Why do women have to be all "sugar and spice and everything nice"? She stands up for what she believes in and speaks her mind. I'd vote for her.

I'd also vote for Obama. He's a good man. He spoke at my friend's college (we live in IL, she goes to school here, but I go to a WI school) and my friend said he was brilliant.

Kewii said:
Actually, this discussion is open to examples from all areas--such as what noggi brought up. 

There's no reason to limit discussion to America when AA caters to people around the world.
[post="1445890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I didn't mean it like that. But we were talking about open mindedness of liberals in a presidential standpoint in America. Liberalism and Conservativism seem to be somewhat different across the pond to what they are in America, and I was just pointing out that while openmindedness might be common place for a conservative thinker in Britain, you don't always see that over here.

obviously it depends on the candidate. i mean, we shouldn't just have a woman president for the sake of it. but if the candidate is right for it, it doesn't matter gender, sexuality, religion etc.

m-c

acting_chica said:
obviously it depends on the candidate. i mean, we shouldn't just have a woman president for the sake of it. but if the candidate is right for it, it doesn't matter gender, sexuality, religion etc.

m-c
[post="1447049"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I agree. We shouldn't judge a candidate on gender. If they're the right person then they should be elected.

I voted for the first option. I do think we will have a female president at some point in time. I think it would be intresting.

i disagree when people say that Hilary is too liberal. she seems to be way more moderate now than she appeared to be 5 years ago. i honestly think that we'll have a Black (what the heck is the right term? that always seems to be the question) president before we have a female president. not that i agree with it, but it seems to be the way American society swings.

as for female presidents, many countries internationally have already had female presidents and prime ministers. i think there was even a female running for VP in the US back in the 80s.

Hm, here in Germany we'll have the next election in September, and we have two main candidates:

The current chancellor, Mr. Schröder, and a woman from the green party, Angela Merkel.

She has really good chances to become the first female chancellor here....

And I think it could be worth a try.

/end german..back to the us ;)

i was under the impression that Angela Merkel was the leader of the CDU. And the New York Times reported that she is much more popular than Schroeder and is expected to win. But I could be wrong on this - I'm not German, so I don't know a great deal about German politics.

xdancer said:
i was under the impression that Angela Merkel was the leader of the CDU.  And the New York Times reported that she is much more popular than Schroeder and is expected to win.  But I could be wrong on this - I'm not German, so I don't know a great deal about German politics.

:blush: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ARRRGH, when I say "green party", I usually mean the CDU..er...I always mess them up. :blush:

Yes, and I said she has really good chances.

It's not because she's that more popular than Schröder, it's more because the people are sick of Schröder, some are willing to accept anything but Schröder.

Celina said:
not because she's that more popular than Schröder, it's more because the people are sick of Schröder, some are willing to accept anything but Schröder.
[post="1450588"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
hmm...i didn't know that. that's really interesting. i guess it's kind of like in America - this past election, some people just wanted anyone but Bush.

xdancer said:
hmm...i didn't know that.  that's really interesting.  i guess it's kind of like in America - this past election, some people just wanted anyone but Bush.
[post="1451940"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

A lot of people wanted anyone but Bush. I know very few people who were really passionate about any of the candidates...especially Kerry.

I'd like to see a female president someday...but we'll just have to see about that.

We have elections here in Sweden in one year.. There are really just 2 candidates.. our current minister Göran Persson of the social democratics.. (don't like him.. though he is the father of a friends girlfriend.. small country here lol.. sorry getting off topic) and Fredric Reinfeldt from the right side.. don't like him either.. I'm not really fond of any party here.. But at the moment it looks like Göran Persson will have to move out of office..finally.. :smiley: Sadly our foreign minister that was a popular candidate.. that could have been our first female prime minister, Anna Lind, was murdered 2 years ago, and though I don't like the social democratic party, she was a good candidate and very popular here and I don't see another female candidate in the next years here.. Not that the sex matter, but we have never had a female prime minister here so it would be fun to have that someday..

I didn't mean it like that. But we were talking about open mindedness of liberals in a presidential standpoint in America. Liberalism and Conservativism seem to be somewhat different across the pond to what they are in America, and I was just pointing out that while openmindedness might be common place for a conservative thinker in Britain, you don't always see that over here.

Conservatism is conservatism. Whether your a religious conservative or a memeber of the Conservative party.

Wouldn't you openmindness in the sense of not having a femal pm is not a conservative trait full stop.

noggi16 said:
Conservatism is conservatism. Whether your a religious conservative or a memeber of the Conservative party.

Wouldn't you openmindness in the sense of not having a femal pm is not a conservative trait full stop.
[post="1467771"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't think that's so. Sure conservatism has the same definition in Britain and the US, and just going by the definition all conservatives should be the same...but they aren't. Look at Pat Robertson...he's a conservative, but there are very few who agree with what he said the other day. Conservatism in all basic sense is just to maintain the existing or traditional order, such as with government. If that were the case then you would see more conservatives protecting abortion, because it is part of the existing order, but that's not the case. Religious conservatives come into play with those aspects, and I would say the vast majority of conservatives in the states are religious conservatives foremost, and then social conservatives. With that there seems to be a lack of openmindedness to the fact that women make mistakes and could need abortions, the fact that gays cannot help being gay anymore than you and I can help being straight, and the fact that there are many more religions besides Christianity in the world. Now all of this may not be the case in Britain (haven't quite gotten too deep into British politics in my studies yet), but it definitely is the case over here. That's all I was trying to point out. In Britain you might find more of a liberal/conservative...over here there aren't that many of them.

As to your second point, maybe it's because my brain's fried from my heavy classload, but I didn't understand any of that.

I don't think that's so. Sure conservatism has the same definition in Britain and the US, and just going by the definition all conservatives should be the same...but they aren't. Look at Pat Robertson...he's a conservative, but there are very few who agree with what he said the other day. Conservatism in all basic sense is just to maintain the existing or traditional order, such as with government. If that were the case then you would see more conservatives protecting abortion, because it is part of the existing order, but that's not the case. Religious conservatives come into play with those aspects, and I would say the vast majority of conservatives in the states are religious conservatives foremost, and then social conservatives. With that there seems to be a lack of openmindedness to the fact that women make mistakes and could need abortions, the fact that gays cannot help being gay anymore than you and I can help being straight, and the fact that there are many more religions besides Christianity in the world. Now all of this may not be the case in Britain (haven't quite gotten too deep into British politics in my studies yet), but it definitely is the case over here. That's all I was trying to point out. In Britain you might find more of a liberal/conservative...over here there aren't that many of them.

So I accept the point that there are more religious conservatives in America, our social conservatives are not particulary regressive, they just don't like change and there aren't that many of them. If you do ever get to British politics and do Thatcher, you'll see its pretty difficult to reconcile Thatcherism and any kind of religion.

However I would argue in response that the movement of women forward in society is not a "conservative" trait despite the evidence of Thatcher. Thatcherism, as well as being, economically, the most lassiez faire government I have ever studied also had a strong moral content and emphasis on family. Thatcher never used her platform to promote women. I very much doubt if there were ever more than two female cabinet ministers under her.

That is why conservatives are more likely to have a female president, because its not about society or women or sisterhood, its about individual achievement.

Now, whether this would work with religious conservatives, I think it would.

The real question is why has religious conservatism become such a big force. They were obviously always there but never banned together in the same way.
Trust me when I tell you, that you if your conservative lobby was economically minded in Thatcher/Regan way, you would hate it just as much. One of my fellows in my politics group describe them as "mean." Because lots of them (including me) would cut all state subsidy, drop taxes, emasculate unions. I'd be asking which I wanted least?

I dont think that being conservative or liberal makes a womam more likely to be voted in which ever she would be. Isnt Hillary Clitnton going to be the Demcrats choice next election anyway, and she's not conservative?

Back