Feminist clique

awesome crazy spinster, i feel the same way, i really don't know if i want kids, i mean maybe eventually, but seeing how much we have taken away from my mom and how much she gave up for us i dont really think i would want a kid. but u r right and as for those idiots the thing is they know thatit gets on my nerves, "im not a guy i dont want to be treated like one"(quote) but i do think that the kitchen standard should be held against us, i love cooking, but i know so many guys who do to.....and as much as i hate to say it goes both ways, in society today (at least where i am and i have a tendancy to prove myself) if a girl were to take shop instead of cooking it would be fine, and if they made fun of her she would probrably prove them wrong, if a guy though took cooking they would kind of get made fun of, at least with the people i know, but dont worry i still think men have more rights then us and that once there is a women president there will be no more stupid problem!!

i'm definitely a feminist!! i once heard some people saying ( i think on the radio??) that if females knew that they could control anything, they would have already ruled the world by now

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like babies... as long as I can hand them back. ;) An adorable baby came into the place where I work the other day. Sooooo cute... I smiled at her and she just kept smiling back.

And I love that Rebecca West quote. One of these days, when I have money, I am gonna get the shirt.

you know what shirt's my favorite? other than the "THIS is what a feminist looks like" one because i already have that one. it's the one with this huge long quote on it:

"because women's work is never done and is underpaid or unpaid or boring or repetitious and we're the first to get fired and what we look like is more important than what we do and if we get raped it's our fault and if we get beaten we must have provoked it and if we raise our voices we're nagging b----es and if we enjoy sex we're nymphos and if we don't we're frigid and if we love women it's because we can't get a "real" man and if we ask our doctor too many questions we're neurotic and/or pushy and if we expect childcare we're selfish and if we stand up for our rights we're aggressive and "unfeminine" and if we don't we're typical weak females and if we want to get married we're out to trap a man and if we don't we're unnatural and because we still can't get an adequate safe contraceptive but men can walk on the moon and if we can't cope or don't want a pregnancy we're made to feel guilty about abortion and... for lots and lots of other reasons we are part of the women's liberation movement."

i absolutely LOVE this quote. it's just too bad that it's too long to put up in my aim profile or as my sig. :rolleyes:

As a feminist, there's something I hate : rappers (sp ?), their machism !!!!! Why do they have to show almost naked women in their video clips ??? Are those women stupid ?? Because tthey accept to be treated as animals, as objects !!! :angry:
What do you think girls ?

I agree Sophie! It's sick. And I can't stand to listen to rap music either.

My sociology teacher handed us this note supplement thing, full of quotes about what feminism is. The Rebecca West quote was on it! I will post the other quotes when I have more time...

aliaschica47 said:
awesome crazy spinster, i feel the same way, i really don't know if i want kids, i mean maybe eventually, but seeing how much we have taken away from my mom and how much she gave up for us i dont really think i would want a kid. but u r right and as for those idiots the thing is they know thatit gets on my nerves, "im not a guy i dont want to be treated like one"(quote) but i do think that the kitchen standard should be held against us, i love cooking, but i know so many guys who do to.....and as much as i hate to say it goes both ways, in society today (at least where i am and i have a tendancy to prove myself) if a girl were to take shop instead of cooking it would be fine, and if they made fun of her she would probrably prove them wrong, if a guy though took cooking they would kind of get made fun of, at least with the people i know, but dont worry i still think men have more rights then us and that once there is a women president there will be no more stupid problem!!
lol...i'm a feminist too, and when i told some people, some of these guys started bothering me, asking why i think women are better than men, and i was trying to tell them that i just want the 2 to be equal...i mean, all the guys in our school think that guys are better at sports then the girls, it's soooo stupid!

anyways, yeah, i agree, we need a woman president. when a woman runs for president, i bet a lot of guys are going to get really angry...lol...

Okay, here are some notable quotes from that handout my sociology prof gave us...

"Feminism is the radical notion taht women are people."- Cheris Kramerae and Paula Treichler

"The issue is not the gender difference but the difference gender makes."- Catherine MacKinnon

"Feminism means commitment to the equality of women with men."- Denise Carmody

"A feminist is one who supports the theory that women should have political, economic, and social rights equal to those of men."- Webster

"Feminism is about how we raise our children and how we treat our friends. It is about learning to respect ourselves, our bodies, and our own ideas. It is about how we embrace the concerns of others and how we value the work we do."- Laura Derrick

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men and women are created equal."- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

"What perculiarly signifies the situation of woman is that she- a free and autonomous being like all human creatures- nevertheless finds herself living in a world where men compel her to assume the status of the Other... To emancipate woman is to refuse to confine her to the relations she bears to man, not to deny them to her."- Simone de Beauvoir

"I believe in equality. Women should get paid the same as men and be able to have the jobs we want. No one should tell me what to do with my body or my kids. But I am not what you would call a feminist."- Denise Mallory

"I don't use the term 'women's movement'- I believe that men must be part of the feminist movement, and they must feel that they have a major role to play in the eradication of sexism. The term 'women's movement' reproduces the notion that somehow feminism is this plantation that only women should labor on... Feminism as a critique of masculinity can be life-affirming for black men. I can quote the statistics about black male homicide and say 'Patriarchy is part of this and if you really care about black men, as an endangered species- a word I don't like to use but one that resonates for people- then feminism has something to offer black men in the struggle for their lives.' As long as feminism gets identified as 'it's about women,' people think: 'I don't have to listen. I don't have to read. I don't have to engage.'"- bell hooks

Existentialist said:
"A feminist is one who supports the theory that women should have political, economic, and social rights equal to those of men."- Webster
i like this one the best. the others are great but i like this one because it's precise, succinct, and difficult to argue with. the key word in there (and in almost all the other quotes) is "EQUAL." so many people have the mistaken assumption that feminists just want to take over the world and destroy all men. :rolleyes:

Back