FIC: I'd Rather Love and Love Well

***These are all the chapters I posted on fanfiction.net while allalias has been out of commission. I would have added a new chapter today as I'm posting it. But fanfiction.net has now died on me. So I'll PM everyone on my list when I get that extra chapter up...***

Chapters 62 through 65

“Where do we begin?” Sydney asked.

“Irina, Sark, and I have been discussing it,” Jack said. “We believe Anna Espinosa to be working for the Covenant. Sark received an offer of employment from them a few weeks ago.”

“You didn’t mention that to me,” Sydney said narrowing her eyes.

“I didn’t think it was important,” Sark replied. “I would have told you eventually, Sydney. You know that.”

“He mentions things to her?” Weiss whispered to Vaughn. “When did that happen?”

Weiss obviously wasn’t whispering soft enough because Sydney could hear him clearly. “Eric, Sark’s first name is Andrew.” She almost laughed at the shocked look on his face as his mouth dropped open. “He’s the man I’ve been running off to see for the past few months. And no, he’s not my boyfriend. Though that was a good guess on your part.”

Weiss’s mouth began to open and close as he struggled to form a reaction.

“Can we move on?” Irina asked impatiently.

“I received a job offer from the Covenant. I always intended to turn them down. I’ve gotten close to Sydney these past few months. Together, she and I deduced what they had done to her for the two years she was missing. I would never have accepted their offer of employment if it weren’t in both of our best interests. I may look and act like a monster in most of your opinions, but I could never stoop to such lows as the Covenant does. Believe that.”

“So how is this going to help us?” Vaughn asked.

“Sark is going to get in contact with the Covenant and accept their invitation. He is going to explain to them that he knows they have Kaylee and Grayson,” Jack informed them.

“I’m going to tell them that I’ll do whatever they say as long as they let me see Kaylee and my son.”

“Grayson is your kid?” Marshall practically shrieked. He noticed that no one else was having the same reaction. “And I was the only one who didn’t know about this. Typical. Leave the lowly tech guy out of all the important classified information.”

“Hey, I didn’t know about it before today either,” Sark said.

“It was all in Gray’s best interest,” Will said softly. “Kaylee wanted to decide if she was going to let you back into her life before she told you that he was your son. She didn’t want to have to go through all of that if she wasn’t even going to allow you to see him.”

“Understandable.” Sark did, in fact, understand the logic behind it, but that didn’t mean it still didn’t hurt to know that he might have never realized Grayson was his son. His child may have grown up without even knowing that his father was alive.

“She made her decision, though. Right before Anna interrupted us at the house. She was going to let you back in,” Will continued.

Sark nodded his appreciation for Will’s confession. He knew that it was hard for Will to be so civil towards him after their past history.

“Back to the plan,” Sydney said. “I don’t think that the whole Sark joining the Covenant thing is going to work. They won’t believe that he would change his loyalties that easily. Even if he can use his skills at lying to convince them, it would take him forever to learn the layouts of the building. I honestly think we don’t have that long a time to get Kaylee and Grayson out of there. Besides, we could be sacrificing one of the best assets we have, and I refuse to do that.”

“What other options do we have, Sydney?” Irina asked.

“I used to be the best agent the Covenant had ever seen. That’s why they wanted me so bad. They went to enormous lengths just to bring me to their side. Who’s to say that I don’t still have that agent somewhere inside me? I think that I have knowledge of the facilities the Covenant has. The brainwashing I had performed on myself doesn’t seem to be as solid as I would have liked it to have been at one time.”

“How is this going to help us?” Jack asked.

“I think they’re holding Kaylee at their facility in Rome. I was based there for the majority of the time I worked for the Covenant. The floor plans are running through my brain as we speak. I can see the corridors and all the possible exits. I can tell you who works in what office. Their whole operation in Rome is like an open book to me. This whole time, the CIA has had an inside source to the Covenant, but because of the strength and determination most of you present, they haven’t utilized me.”

“It would have destroyed you if the CIA had pushed you for information,” Vaughn reminded her. “We all knew that.”

“And I’m glad they didn’t. Because I avoided the trauma of that, I can remember things a lot clearer than I would have ever expected.”

“So you’re proposing what exactly?” Sark asked.

“I’m proposing we treat this like a normal mission. You, me, my mother, and my father go in. We’re four of the best agents out there. There’s no way that the Covenant can outsmart and outfight all four of us if we work together. And we have two of the best handlers the CIA has to offer, who both happen to be field trained.” Sydney smiled at Vaughn and Weiss. “They can serve as our back-up. Marshall here will stay with them wherever I have our base set up. He can do some on spot tech work if we need him to. Will, as long as the hospital gives you leave, you can come with us to Rome. I don’t know how much help you’ll be, but I know you want to be there.”

“Thank you, Sydney.” Will smiled at her.

“How can you be so sure that Kaylee is in Rome?” Irina asked. “I don’t really doubt your instinct, but if you’re wrong… If she isn’t there, we’ve wasted probably the only window of opportunity we have.”

“She’s in Rome. Trust me. Simon Walker would never have given up the location of my sister to the other organizations. It’s a known fact that he is a member of the Covenant. The Covenant would never let another organization get the upper hand on them.” Sydney looked at her father. “That is why I also know that Anna Espinosa is working with the Covenant. The purpose of Simon Walker’s gathering was to make every organization think that the Covenant had nothing to do with Kaylee and Grayson’s kidnapping. He was there to give them a solid alibi. To keep the CIA from focusing on them when they realized that the two of them had gone missing. But the Covenant had absolutely everything to do with it. I saw Walker’s face when Anna burst through the window and snatched the paper out of his hands.”

“He was expecting it,” Sark said as realization dawned on his face. “He knew she was going to be there. He knew that she was going to get to him before we did.”

“He turned the lights off in the building to help her escape,” Sydney added. “Simon Walker is in Rome as we speak, I know it. It was his base of operations just as it was mine. Since he is so deep in this whole situation, they wouldn’t take Kaylee to another facility. She’s in Rome. So are Simon and Anna.”

“Sounds convincing enough,” Weiss said. “When do we leave?”

“Now,” Will said. “The doctor told me that I could check myself out of the hospital as soon as I wanted. I asked him. He said he didn’t recommend it, but he couldn’t keep me here. I just need to sign the papers and we’re gone.”

“Good,” Sydney said standing up. She walked over to Will. “Will you do me a favor?”

“Anything, Syd.”

She slipped the engagement ring off of her finger. “Hold this for me until I come back with my sister and nephew.”

“Sure thing,” Will said taking the ring. He looked over at Sark. “I’ve been holding another engagement ring for over two years now. Kaylee couldn’t stand the sight of it, and she told me to get rid of it. But I couldn’t. I knew someday she’d regret losing the one thing she cherished the most besides her son.” He paused and then corrected himself. “Besides her son and you. I’ll hold that ring until you come back. Then I think you should give it to her. She wants it back.”

Sark nodded at Will. “Thank you.”

“Let’s go,” Sydney said as she pushed Will’s wheelchair towards the door. “We have two people who are counting on us to find them.”

“Vaughn, are you there?” Sydney said softly as she and Sark made their way into what looked like a big corporate research center. In reality, it was an elaborate cover-up for the Covenant’s main facility in Rome. The two of them were posing as a husband and wife team of engineers who were interesting in merging their small business with that of the Inganno Corporation.

“I can hear you, Syd,” Vaughn’s voice echoed back in her ear. “Too bad I can’t see you. I hear the clothes your mother found you two are quite a sight.”

“That’s an understatement.” Sydney looked down at herself. She was wearing an extremely sharp Dolce & Gabbana business suit, which consisted of black pants, a black halter dress, and a black jacket. Her mother had found her an amazing short red wig and a pair of transparent red sunglasses. It made Sydney look like she was indeed a part owner of an incredibly successful engineering corporation.

Her mother had outfitted Sark in the same fashion. He was wearing a Versace black turtleneck, knee-length duster, and black pants. The best part, in Sydney’s opinion, was the fact that he had agreed to let her spike his hair and highlight the tips a bright blue. His whole image was a complete contradiction, a clash of punk and classy businessman.

“Are you ready, darling?” Sydney asked as she slipped her hand into Sark’s.

“Let’s do this,” he said. Not missing a beat, he continued quietly so that only Sydney could hear him, “I know we’re married and all. But I just want you to know that I plan on having an affair with your little sister.”

“And I’m going to have one with our co-worker,” Sydney said back with a little giggle. “So we’re even.” She knew that it might not be the most appropriate way to act, joking around like this when her sister and nephew were kidnapped. But she also had come to realize that Sark’s strongest defense mechanisms were his complete indifference and his humor.

The couple walked hand and hand into the lobby of the Inganno Corporation. Sydney drew a paper out from her pocket and handed it to the receptionist. “James and Ripley Taylor here to see Mr. Mantovini,” she said in a British accent.

Sydney had timed their entrance so that the receptionist was on the phone with a rather important client when she handed her the paper. Since the receptionist was so distracted, she just mouthed the words seventh floor to them and pointed in the general direction of the elevators.

“Thank you,” Sark said. He placed his hand on the small of Sydney’s back and directed her to the elevators.

Luckily, no one else was around so they were able to get the whole elevator to themselves. Sydney pressed the seventh floor button. As soon as they had reached the fifth floor, Sark stretched around Sydney to press the emergency stop button. Then, he dug into his pocket and pulled out a small disc shaped object. He placed it on the receiver of the emergency phone that was in the elevator.

“Marshall, can you hear my voice?” Sark asked into the newly place disc and phone receiver.

“I can hear you loud and clear.” Marshall had programmed the disc to allow him to hear and participate in the conversations that occurred on the emergency phone. While Sydney and Sark were elsewhere, he was using some voice software he had picked up from one of his tech contacts to impersonate both of their voices and British accents. They wanted the Covenant to think that James and Ripley Taylor were stuck in the elevator for as long as they could.

Sydney threw the bag she was using as a purse on the ground and began to rifle through it. She pulled out a few canisters and handed them to Sark. Next she removed a small black pack. She handed it to Sark, lifted up her shirt, and turned her back to him. He fixed it onto her back snuggly and fastened the two Velcro strips securely over her abdomen.

Nodding at her, Sark crouched down slightly and put his hands together into a foothold. Sydney used that as leverage and pushed the emergency hatch of the elevator open. She pulled herself up on top of the elevator and then gave Sark a hand in joining her.

“There’s the ladder I remembered. The Covenant has these in all their facilities’ elevator shafts. It’s a defensive precaution in case someone cuts the facility’s power. The agents stuck in the elevators always has an escape route,” she explained.

Both of them started to climb the ladder up until Sydney signaled down to Sark, who was below her, that they had reached their destination. Sark was surprised to see Sydney suddenly disappear from view completely. When he had climbed the ladder up to the level she had disappeared at, he realized that there was a door size opening leading into a hallway.

“This place is straight out of a high-tech, sci-fi movie,” Sydney said holding out her hand to him. “There are hallways that end in dead drops and doors that lead nowhere. It’s one of the many safety measures. It’s rather suspicious when someone who’s trying to pretend they are an agent of the Covenant can’t make their way around the building or keeps opening doors that any agent would know leads nowhere.”

“Where are we?” he asked as they started walking down the hallway.

“We’re on the ninth floor. The Inganno Corporation’s false offices end on the eighth. We’re in the heart of the Covenant’s operation. Try to look evil. We need to blend in.”

“What are we doing here?” he asked.

“I’ll explain in just a moment.” Sydney stopped at an office door. She stared at the digital keypad for a moment and then punched in seven numbers. The door unlocked with a small beep from the keypad. “You think they’d change the codes when they lose one of their brainwashed agents.”

Sark stared at the rather normal looking office. “Where are we now?”

“This is Simon Walker’s office,” Sydney said with a grin. “We’re here to hack into the Covenant’s mainframe and figure out where they’re holding Kaylee and Gray.”

Sark nodded his approval and watched Sydney begin to type rapidly on the laptop that was sitting open on the desk. She began to explain what she was doing. “I figure that my password into the mainframe system won’t still be good so I’m just trying to hack a random agent’s password. Once I have that I’ll log in as them. Hopefully, he or she will have a high enough clearance for me to get the information we want.”

“There,” Sark said pointing to the right hand corner of the screen. “Looks like Lauren had access to this server. It’s only right for you to use her as a gateway into the system. Then the Covenant will think that she’s betrayed them to the CIA.”

“You’re right. It’s only fitting.” Sydney typed silently for a few more minutes. “Damn,” she hissed.

“What’s the problem?” rang Vaughn’s voice in her ear.

“I see the location that would be my best guess at where they’re holding Kaylee and Gray. I wasn’t expecting to find any information that completely spelled it out. The Covenant wouldn’t be that sloppy, no matter how confident they are getting. However, it looks like the Covenant’s system can’t be wiped from one of their secondary terminals.” Part of their plan was to distract a good portion of the Covenant’s operatives present at the facility by wiping clean the whole computer system. On their flight over to Rome, Will had helped Marshall create a rather nasty virus to do the job.

“Do you have a backup plan?” Sark asked her.

“Yes, I think I do.” Sydney began to type on the computer again. “Vaughn? I need you to tell my mother and father to get suited up. I’m sending you a location of where I want them to go. I need them in this building if we’re going to be able to pull this whole rescue mission off. Sark and I will meet them at the provided location. Get them wired up with Weiss. He’s going to have to monitor their progress while you stick with Sark and me.”

“Got it, Sydney,” Vaughn answered.

Sydney shut the laptop and turned to Sark. “Looks like we need to get back down to the first floor.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Sark was amazed at the massive amount of knowledge Sydney had begun to recall about the Covenant and their operations. When they left Simon Walker’s office, she had quickly led him down a few corridors to a door that opened right into a staircase. She had made some crack about the Covenant being a fan of M.C. Escher, and then they were rushing down eight flights of stairs.

Before she opened the door that would lead them out to the hallways of the first floor, she turned to Sark, “We’re going to have to blend in with everything around us. The Covenant cannot realize that you and I are in this building.”

“Understood,” Sark said with a curt nod.

Sydney walked through the door and began to blend herself into the steady stream of people walking up and down the hallway. Sark waited a moment and then followed her.

They walked for about five minutes, just following the stream of people, before Sark saw Sydney suddenly dart into a room. He followed her lead and found himself in what appeared to be a test site for some biological weapon.

“These are some of the labs the Covenant keeps up to enforce their cover story. They actually have been doing some good work with genetically altered foods,” Sydney explained. She walked to the back of the lab to a door that was marked ‘Emergency Door. Alarm will sound if opened.’

“Is it wise to open that?” Sark asked as Sydney pushed on the handle. No alarms rang.

“They like to keep their employees locked up inside the building. It’s just a scare tactic.” She peered out the door she had just cracked slightly. She could see her mother and father making their way over. “They’re out there.”

Sark grabbed a screwdriver off of the table next to him and put it into the crack of the door. “Let’s step back. If we’re not in the line of sight, it should make their entrance into the facility look a little less conspicuous.”

They stepped over to the side and a minute later, Jack and Irina were standing next to them.

“Explain what you need us to do,” Irina said smiling at her daughter.

“Sark and I don’t have time to create our own distraction and make it down to the second sub-basement to free Kaylee and Grayson. So we need you to go down to the first sub-basement. When you get there, there should be a room with the main Covenant computer. I sent Vaughn a map of the sub-basement I pulled off Walker’s laptop, the codes that should open the door, and the information you‘ll need to log on to the system. You’ll probably have to deal with a few armed guards. That shouldn’t be that much of a problem. First I want you to download as much information as you can off of the Covenant computer. We’re in a very opportune position, and I won’t leave until we’ve utilized it. Only after that do I want you two to wipe the system like Sark and I originally intended to do. Once that’s done, unless Weiss tells you otherwise, get as far away from the facility as you can.”

Jack nodded at his daughter and turned to leave. Irina didn’t follow him. Instead she stepped closer to her daughter and looked closely into her eyes. “You remind me of myself, Sydney.”

“As much as I hate to admit it, I am your daughter,” she said through clenched teeth.

“Everything I ever did was to keep you safe,” Irina continued. “To teach you the skills I knew you need to survive. I hope that someday you can forgive me for what I’ve done.”

Irina turned and left Sydney staring at her back as she walked away.

“Let’s go,” Sark said gently touching Sydney’s shoulder. “We have a job to do. You can figure out Irina later.”

Sydney nodded at him but still kept that far off look on her face. Sark grasped her hand and practically dragged her out of the room. “We’re out in the open now, Syd. I need you to stay with me.”

“Okay.” She scrunched her face up in concentration. “This way.”

She led him back to the elevator lobby they had originally been in the first time they were on this floor. Instead of pushing a button and waiting for any of the elevators, she opened a door marked Maintenance. What was inside didn’t have anything to do with maintenance.

The room was about the size of a phone booth. Straight in front of them were an elevator door and a keypad. Sydney punched in some numbers swiftly, and the door slid open.

“Explain,” Sark said as they stepped into the elevator.

“The sub-basements are the location of most of the top secret actions of the Covenant. It makes them incredibly hard to get to. This is the more obscure entrance. I sent my parents to the one that is easier to access. Figured you and I are young. We can handle a challenge.”

“So we’re on our way to the sub-basements. Where to from there?”

“Let’s cross that bridge when we get there.” Sydney heard something crackle in her ear. “Vaughn?” she asked.

There was no response.

“Our ear pieces aren’t working,” Sark said as he realized that he couldn’t hear Vaughn either.

“It must be a security feature I didn’t know about. There must have been a frequency blocker somewhere on the way down to the sub-basements.”

“Will the feed come back when we reach the second sub-basement?”

“I don’t know,” Sydney admitted. Suddenly, she got a confused look on her face. “This elevator ride has taken an awful long time. A lot longer than I would have thought.”

Finally, the elevator doors slid open revealing a man with his back to them. Sydney recognized him immediately. “Oh no.”

“Miss Bristow, you haven’t forgotten me,” Simon Walker said as he turned around. Noting their bewildered faces, he added, “Don’t tell me you thought you were actually being sly. The Covenant has known you were here since the second you got into the elevator.”

Sark couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

“What is so funny, Mr. Sark?” Simon asked.

“You are a bloody moron. That’s what is so funny.” Sark smirked at him. “We’ve been in this facility a lot longer than you think.”

“Oh. Good to know.” Simon motioned for a couple of the men who were standing off to the side. “Tie these two up. And do a good job about it.”

Sydney was pushed up against the wall by one of the men, and she could feel him wrapping some sort of rope tightly around her wrists. When she was turned back around, she saw they had done the same to Sark.

“Don’t you think you’re being a little overzealous in the tying?” Sydney asked. “I mean why don’t you just tie us back to back like they do in the movies and get it over with?”

“I like that suggestion,” Simon said with a devious grin. “Do it,” he ordered his men.

Sydney winced as her already rope burned hands were jarred. Within seconds, her tied up hands were tightly secured to Sark’s. The duo was ushered to a nearby cell where Simon said they should make themselves at home.

Sydney flinched as the door was slammed shut behind them. She waited a minute before muttering, “He really is a bloody moron. He actually captured us and then left us with an opportunity to form a plan and escape.” She tried to look over her shoulder at Sark. “The pack, Sark.”

“Do it,” he said forcefully.

Sydney took a deep breath. “I follow my instincts when I‘m on a mission, Sark. You know that.”

“What are you trying to say? And why are you trying to stall?”

I‘m not stalling,” Sydney said viciously. That was when Sark knew she was trying to tell him something extremely important. “Listen, I don’t think both you and I are going to make it to where Kaylee’s being held.”

“How the hell can you know that?” he practically screamed. Calming down considerably, he added, “You and I are the best spies this world has to offer right now. We’re both going to make it out of this one alive. And that’s my gut feeling.”

Sydney opened her mouth to say something else, but Sark interrupted her. “Listen, Bristow. We’re not going to die. Stop trying to stall. It’s time to use that nice pack that Marshall gave us.”

“Are you sure?” she asked. The hesitation was thick in her voice.

“Positive. We knew that this might happen when we were planning out this operation. I can take the pain if you can.”

“All right.” Sydney moved her hands, and consequently Sark’s, up to the middle of her back. She fumbled to lift her shirt up, and when she finally did, she was happy to still feel the small black pack secured tightly to her body. “Brace yourself.”

Sark felt a sharp pain in his back as Sydney unhooked the latch that was holding the CIA device to her body. It had specifically been designed as a last ditch effort to cut an agent’s bonds. Before giving it to Sydney, Marshall informed her that the pain would probably be a lot worse than she could imagine. He was quick to tell her to make sure she pointed the pack at the wall. The brunt of it would be absorbed, and it would decrease the pain inflicted upon her greatly. Tragically, Sydney wasn’t up against a wall. She was up against Sark.

The small blades that were as sharp as razors cut into Sark’s back and stayed there. Sydney ignored his growls of pain and lifted their arms up to where the blades were sticking in his back. She heard her partner give a small cry of pain as the movement shifted the blades slightly.

“Are you all right?” she whispered.

“I’m fine. Just get it over with.”

Sydney began to rub their bounded hands against the razor blades. Because of their position, it normally would have been hard to guess if the blades were even cutting the rope. However, she could feel them cutting through her hands and arms, so she figured that at least every once in a while they must be cutting through ropes.

Sark cried out a little in pain again, and Sydney realized that if she was cutting her hands and arms, she must have been cutting his as well.

Thankfully, the rope snapped, and she pulled away from his back. Turning around, she saw the extent of the damage and almost passed out. His whole back looked like it had been thrown through a grinder. She knew he would bear scars from this for the rest of his life.

“You did me a favor once,” Sydney said as she gently ran a hand over his face. He had fallen face down onto the floor when the rope broke. “I’m about to return it. And for that, I’m sorry.”

Sydney rammed her bloody right hand hard into Sark’s temple. He lost consciousness almost instantly. She got to work pulling out the razors from his back. When she got the first one out, she was glad that she had knocked him unconscious. The razor blades, so they could stick into a wall or other surface, had a rounded hook on one end. Sydney was almost afraid that she was doing more damage taking them out than what had happened when they had gone in.

She stopped a moment to get her bearings and then proceeded with her difficult task.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Sark felt himself slowing pull his mind and body back to the real world. He realized that he was lying on his stomach on the floor of what was probably the same room that Walker had thrown him and Sydney in. He could feel the throbbing pain in his back and arms, but the only thought on his mind was why did she hit him. “Syd…” he mumbled.

“I’m right here, Sark.” He could feel her hand rub the back of his neck.

“Why the hell did you hit me?”

“Because of this.” Sydney lifted Sark up into a sitting position, careful of where she placed his back. She held up one of the razor blades for him to see.

“Oh,” he said. “Thanks.”

“Anytime you need it, you know I’ll be there to knock you unconscious.” Sydney looked him over. “Are you going to be all right?”

Sark tried to stand up and felt his head explode in pain. He winced and leaned back against the wall, but he didn’t sit back down again. “I’ll be okay in a moment. I can work through the pain.”

Sydney held out her left arm for Sark to lean into. “Someday you and I are going to live in a world where we don’t have to say we can work through the pain.”

“If we pull this off, it just may happen sooner or later.” Sydney helped him hobble over to the door. “Isn’t that door locked?” he asked.

“I utilized the time you spent unconscious. Did a little lock picking with my last birthday present from Marshall.” Sydney pulled out two of her bobby pins from her hair. Sark saw that they were cleverly disguised lock picks. “They come in handy.”

Sydney pushed the door open and helped Sark out of their temporary prison. By the time they had reached the end of the hallway, Sark had managed to push off of Sydney and start walking on his own. Granted he was still wobbling and had to stop a few times to lean against the wall, but he made it to the other end walking by himself.

He was thrown when Sydney stopped and threw her hand up to her right ear. “What’s wrong?”

“My ear piece is working again,” she said. “Vaughn, can you hear me?”

“Syd!” His voice was thick with worry. “Are you all right?”

“Yeah, Sark and I are both fine.”

“You had me worried. The last time my comlink to you died, you disappeared for two years and both our lives went to hell.”

“Isn’t going to happen again,” she answered confidently. “Sark and I had a little run in with Simon Walker. He momentarily captured us, but you know there isn’t a prison that can hold me.”

“Great.”

Sark tried to figure out what was happening on the other half of Sydney’s conversation. Either his earpiece hadn’t gone back online or Sydney had hit him a lot harder than she intended and he was now deaf in one ear. He was going with the ear-piece-not-online theory.

Sydney turned and smiled at him after he heard her thank Vaughn.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“Seems like my parents held up their end of the operation and then some. They made their way to the main computer and extracted as much information as possible. It was lucky I sent them in because Gray’s location was changed a few hours ago. He’s no longer being held with my sister.”

“We have to split up, Sydney. We don’t have time to go save one and then get the other.”

Sydney got an I-know-something-you-don’t-know smile on her face. “That won’t be a problem. Grayson was being held in the same hallway where the main computer terminal is positioned. My parents wiped the computer’s memory and picked him up on their way out of the building. All three of them are sitting with Weiss and Vaughn right now.”

“So our goal is half accomplished.”

“Sark, do you remember what I said about both of us not making it to Kaylee?” she asked hesitantly.

“You’re not getting all fatalistic on me, Bristow,” Sark said with fire in his eyes. “Not now, not ever. Both of us and Kaylee are going to make it out of this one alive.”

“Oh I know that,” she replied. “I was just trying to say earlier that I think one of us might have to hang back to create a distraction.”

“Why didn’t you just say that?”

Sydney smiled at him and began to explain where the computer had said Kaylee was being held. They weren’t that far from it. The couple rushed through the hallways, no longer concerned with keeping a low profile, and Sydney continued to inform Sark. Just as she was finishing telling him the codes that should open Kaylee’s prison door, they heard someone clear his throat behind them.

“Seems to me that this operation was a lot bigger than I thought,” Walker said. “Word is that Spy Mummy and Spy Daddy were here too.”

“Nice choice of words,” Sydney said with a smug smile. “They were here. They’re not anymore. Lucky for you, we still are. Two lefts and then a right, Sark.” Sydney winked at him.

He laughed and walked towards Simon. When he was shoulder to shoulder with him, he leaned over and whispered, “Hell hath no fury like a Bristow woman. I would wish you good luck because you’re probably going to need. But truth is I’ve always thought you were a prick. And you sort of pissed me off when you sent you sent your little woman to kidnap mine. So, I‘m going to do you a favor.”

Sark made a move to continue walking away from Simon but changed his mind. Instead he punched him hard in the face. He wasn’t surprised when Simon hit the floor and didn’t get up again.

“Sorry, Syd,” he apologized.

“I was really itching for a fight,” she replied.

“You’ll still get one,” said a voice from behind her. “And by the way, Mr. Sark, I’m not his little woman. It was the other way around.”

“Go. Now,” Sydney said harshly as she turned to face Anna. Sark obeyed her command and left her and Anna in a stare down.

Sydney stared Anna down as they began to circle around one another. “I’ve been waiting for this for a long time,” Anna said.

“I aim to please,” Sydney said as she took a halfhearted swing at Anna’s head. She wasn’t surprised to watch Anna duck out of the way in plenty of time. Hitting her wasn’t the goal right now. Sydney was focusing on sizing her up and deciding what it was going to take to win this fight.

“Syd, what’s going on?” Vaughn’s voice rang through her earpiece.

“Can’t talk right now. I’m getting reacquainted with an old friend. I’ll fill you in when I’ve kicked her ass.”

Taking full advantage of the distraction Vaughn caused, Anna kicked at Sydney and struck her square in the chin. Sydney was propelled back into the wall but swiftly recovered. She kicked Anna right back in the stomach.

“You really piss me off sometimes,” Sydney said as Anna shook off the blow.

“Same here.” Anna made a move to slam her fist into Sydney’s head. Sydney blocked her and knocked her feet out from under her at the same time.

“Bet that pissed you off,” she said as she backed up. She didn’t want to end this fight quickly. Anna need to stay occupied until she was sure Sark had had enough time to save her sister.

Anna glared as she stood up. She subtly reached into her pocket and grabbed something. With Sydney momentarily distracted by her thoughts, Anna was able to fling the small knife at her face.

Sydney felt a small pain on her right cheek and put her hand up to feel it. Her hand came away with blood on it. The wound wasn’t that deep, though. “Was that supposed to stop me?” she asked.

“No,” Anna replied. “Only slow you down.”

Sydney felt her head start to spin a little, and her body started to feel really heavy. “You drugged the tip of that knife? Nice touch.”

“I thought so,” Anna said as she punched Sydney a couple times. “It also conveniently severed the link to whomever you were talking with before.”

She held her hand up to her ear. The knife had nicked the part of the earpiece that was sticking out slightly from her ear. She couldn’t hear Vaughn’s reassuring voice anymore. Hopefully he would trust her to make it out of her alive. They were so close to accomplishing their objectives that she’d really hate to have it ruined now.

Sydney took a few more punches and then kicked her opponent in the side and used the momentum created by her kick to fling Anna into the cement wall. She heard the crunch of bones breaking and saw Anna wince in pain.

“I’ve been waiting to hear that sound since Mount Aconcagua.”

“Oh?” Anna said through her pain. “You didn’t appreciate when I kicked you up the ladder and left you for dead?”

“That was your mistake. You should have made sure I had stayed dead.” Sydney gave her a hard uppercut. “I have a bad habit of coming back from the dead. Ask everyone.” She threw another few punches before the effort of movement with the combination of whatever drug Anna had sent her way made her black out slightly. Seizing the moment of weakness, Anna kicked her effectively sending Sydney sailing into the wall.

She fell into a heap at the bottom of the wall. The blow had stunned her so much that she could only helplessly listen while Anna strolled over to where she was laying. She felt a hard tug on her hair as Anna grabbed her hair viciously and picked her up.

“You’re slipping,” Anna whispered in her face. She had Sydney pinned up against the wall and was holding her hands against her throat.

“Wait,” Sydney whispered in a small, defeated voice.

“Want to beg for mercy?” Anna asked, smirking slightly.

“No, I just wanted to tell you that we’re really sisters. Seems my father really got around back in the day.”

Anna looked at her in confusion. Sydney took the moment of opportunity to smile wickedly at her opponent right before she headbunted her as hard as she could. Anna collapsed into a pile, unconscious.

“Idiot,” she muttered. As she walked away from her fallen adversary, she called, “I learned that one from my sister. Remind me to thank her when I see her next.”

Sark ran through the halls trying to desperately remember if it was two rights and then a left or one right and then one left. Or maybe it was two lefts and then two rights. Normally, he would never make a mistake like forgetting directions in a mission. The possibility of what would happen if he screwed this up was overpowering all his senses, making him a lot worse at what he did.

Sighing, he hoped he remembered correctly and took the next left.

Sydney made her way through the front lobby of the Inganno Corporation, exiting the same way she entered. If her mental concept of time was pretty accurate, she expected to see that everyone had made it to the van slightly. She had meant to defeat Anna in a little less time than it had taken. So that meant there was no way that Sark wouldn’t have rescued her sister already.

There were people running everywhere in the front lobby. “Guess Mom and Dad did an amazing job of screwing up their computer system,” she thought to herself. She tried to walk slowly and stay inconspicuous; though her battered and bruised body might give her away.

She noticed that there was a person standing in front of the main door with his arms crossed, scanning the crowd. The drug Anna has poisoned her with was still doing a job to her system so she was unable to focus on the person’s face. “That’s strange,” she thought to herself. “Everyone else is panicking, and this man is just standing calmly at the door. No care in the world. How the hell am I going to get him to move?”

“Ms. Bristow,” the man said turning to look at her. “Sydney.”

She still couldn’t make his face get into focus, but she would know that slimy voice anywhere.

“I should have known you’d have something to do with this, Sloane,” she hissed.

“You can stop trying to act tough, Sydney,” he said. “I know that Anna drugged you. Don’t try to pretend you’re in any condition to fit me.”

“But I am,” said a voice with a thick Irish accent that Sydney placed to her right. She saw this second person, or rather blob, hit Sloane squarely in the jaw. As soon as he hit the floor, her rescuer was slapping a pair of handcuffs onto his arm.

“Hello, Syd,” the man said.

“Who are you?” she squinted her eyes but the face didn’t come into focus any better.

“You don’t recognize my voice?” the man asked. “We worked together for two years to bring down the Covenant.” The man paused. “If I tell you, will you promise not to hit me?”

“I promise. I won’t hit you until you have time to explain why I would want to hit you.”

“My name’s Colin Meyer. But you know me better under another alias. Simon Walker.”

krzykty57789 said:
WHAT!?!?!?!?!
ahhh
OMG

thats so incrediably evil!!!
AHHH
lol, i totally agree. do you like killing over and over again with those cliffhangers or something? any ways, can't wait for the next update :D

simon is actuall good... ...that would explain why he did not do a great job of making sure syd and sark did not escape. thanks for the pm and th update! i can't wait to seee what happens next.

Chapter 66

“You have two seconds to explain before I kill you on this spot, Walker,” she snarled.

“Don’t bluff, Syd. I can read your facial expressions like a book.” Simon put a hand on her shoulder, which she quickly shrugged off.

“Don’t touch me,” she said very carefully with lots of anger.

“Listen. We need to get out of here. Your friends will be expecting you. I’ll explain everything and give you Arvin Sloane to take into custody if you’ll just leave with me.”

Sydney nodded. “I’ll just warn you, though. This drug should be wearing off soon. When that happens, all bets are off.”

She felt Simon gently guide her to the door. Once she was outside, she saw him quickly duck back into the building and out again.

“I had to get Sloane,” he explained.

“So, what were you saying about us working together for two years?”

“Your missing two years, to be specific. I’m going to try to fill you in as much as possible. But honestly I don’t know how much of what went on that you already know. Some of this stuff may be a little shocking to you.”

“I can take it. And let’s assume that I don’t know anything.”

“I’m an agent of MI5. I have been since I was twenty. Born and raised in Belfast. I was always a loner. Couldn’t really keep a partner. Almost lost my job a few times because of it. I got transferred to a more radical division. It was a section of MI5 dubbed Project Oceana. There are only two people out there who know of its existence and aren’t a direct participant in the project. It was very hush hush.”

“That’s nice. What does this have to do with me? You should get to the point because my vision’s starting to clear up already,” Sydney said.

“I was given a deep cover assignment for the Ocean Division because I didn’t have any attachments in my personal or professional life. Actually, it’s more like I couldn’t form personal attachments. There was a girl once that I dated for a few months.” Simon paused, lost in his thoughts.

“Must have been some girl if she can still send you into a daze now.”

“She was. We had a whirlwind kind of romance, but she was way too young for me. And I knew that I wasn’t anything special to her. I was undercover, using my Simon Walker alias in fact. I was stationed in Paris trying to infiltrate one of their crime syndicates. I met this girl. She saw me in my bad boy persona, and I think she decided to use me to make her mother mad. Her mother was really protective of her.”

“Does this perfect girl have a name?”

Simon laughed. “Yeah. Kaylee.”

“Kaylee?” Sydney asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, it was your sister. First time you meet one of you Bristow women, you remember it. Can’t say I made a huge impact on her life so I wouldn’t imagine she would put two and two together.”

Sydney thought back. “Actually when I first mentioned you to her, she said you sounded familiar.”

“Wow. Guess I wasn’t that bad.” He paused. “Moving on in the story of our time together. I infiltrated the Covenant by doing exactly what my superiors at the Oceana Division told me to. All I had to do was take a CIA agent they had deemed expendable and sell them to the Covenant. That would get me in the front door.”

“The government of the United Kingdom had me kidnapped? They thought I was expendable?” Sydney realized that Simon had been right. She was shocked at what he said, and she definitely wasn’t about to believe the bulls*** coming out of his mouth.

“I know it sounds far fetched. But my superiors thought that having someone inside the Covenant would be more important than your life. It’s hard to hear. I realize that. I’m not proud of what I did to you. I hope you believe me when I say that I did make it up to you.”

“So, you kidnapped me? Then what?”

“I was told to sell you directly to the Covenant. That was my mission. But I almost didn’t accomplish it. I was having second thoughts so I did the only thing that wouldn’t be suspicious. I called your mother, Irina Derevko, and offered for her to buy you from me. I would have let her, too, but my superiors got wind of my phone conversation while it was in progress. Let’s just say that they interrupted the negotiations.”

“You tried to sell me to my mother? I’m supposed to believe this?”

“Ask her. She’ll confirm it.” Simon gently nudged Sydney so that she veered to the right slightly. “We’re going to have to cross a few roads now. I may have to touch you to keep you from getting run over.” Sydney glared at him. “Anyway, I sold you to the Covenant. It took them six months to break you. Only they never really did.”

“What did they do to me?”

“They tried the conventional way of breaking you which didn’t work, of course. Then they decided to do a more drastic procedure. They altered your memories so that you would believe you were a free-lance assassin named Julia Thorne. I was a part of the team doing the brainwashing. I convinced the doctors to give you a memory of me. That I was your partner on quite a few missions. I made you think you trusted me greatly. It was the only thing I could think of to do to save you. I never wanted to see you turned into a monster.”

“Comforting,” she said. She heard Sloane groan from where he was positioned over Simon’s shoulder. “Let me do the honors.” She punched him hard in the head.

“Once you had accepted the Julia Thorne identity, we became partners. I was with you in Berlin. I personally rigged the explosives that collapsed St. Patrick’s Cathedral. You trusted me.”

“Why?”

“Because I was the only one who was telling you the truth. After our first few missions, I told you that your name wasn’t really Julia Thorne, but it was Sydney Bristow. I explained your whole life to you and what had happened. You didn’t believe me but you were intrigued. I was counting on that. It made you want to keep me close by, especially when I told you I could get proof. Which is why the whole time when we were away on missions together, I was slowly bringing back the memories of your previous life.”

“That was what you meant by making it up to me.” She couldn’t help but admit she was starting to believe what he was saying. It was a very convincing and detailed story.

“The Covenant began to notice that your brainwashing seemed to be wearing off. That was because I was deliberately taking it away. They gave you a solo mission that I didn’t find out about until it was too late.”

“That was when they sent me to burn down Francie’s restaurant with her inside?”

“Yes. I managed to find out discreetly. So I asked for some vacation time since my partner was otherwise occupied. They granted it to me and I was on the first flight to L.A. I was able to stop you before you set the place on fire. I explained who Francie was to you. Together we waited until the restaurant closed that night. Then we set fire to it. It was a necessary thing to do. The Covenant needed proof that you were at least willing to kill your friend, even though the timing was wrong.”

“Then I went to Geneva, right?”

“You never went to Geneva, Syd. After we burned down the restaurant, you got on the first plane back to Rome. You returned to the Covenant.”

“Sark had intel that said I went to a doctor in Geneva to get my memories back.”

“That was our cover-up story. Since, obviously, when you went back to the CIA I was still undercover, both of us knew we couldn’t let you remember me and who I really was.” Simon stopped walking when they reached a parking garage. “I have a car parked in there. Are you comfortable enough to get into a car with me?”

“Yes. I’ll trust you at least that much. But my family and friends aren’t that far away.”

“I’m just going to drive us around until I’ve explained everything to you. Is that okay?”

Sydney thought about it. She knew that her being missing would worry everyone, but they had all agreed on certain rules. If a person was went missing, you held your position for three hours after they should have showed up. Then you leave them behind. There was plenty of time left before anyone would leave her behind. “And Sark probably got Kaylee out of the facility long before I ran into Sloane and Simon,” she thought. She nodded to Simon as he started the car. “So if I didn’t go to Geneva, what happened?”

“After returning to the Covenant, their suspicions of you faded slightly. But they were still there. You and I agreed that I needed to restore all of your memories and send you back to the CIA. So during our next mission, I did just that.”

“We were in Hong Kong,” Sydney whispered.

“Yeah, we were. It was so funny. The night before you were so excited about breaking the Covenant’s hold on you, you started dancing around our hotel room. You ran smack into the coffee table. But you just kept dancing and chanting about how you wouldn’t even remember why your knee hurt the next day.”

Realization dawned on her face. “That was why my knee hurt when I woke up in that alley.”

“Yeah. I snuck some of the Covenant’s more sophisticated technology with us to Hong Kong. It took me over three hours but I put you pretty much back to normal. Like I said, we had decided that you couldn’t remember anything about me. So I just erased your memory of being in the Covenant. But I also made sure that you would be able to regain those memories somewhere down the line.”

“Thank you.”

“The procedure left you unconscious. I took you to the alley behind our hotel and watched over you from a distance until I saw you wake up.”

“What did you tell the Covenant?”

“I told them that you were supposed to rendezvous with me at a restaurant across town. You never showed up. I followed protocol and left you for dead. Sounds harsh, but it’s the way the Covenant works. Then, you showed up in the CIA’s hands again.” He looked over at her. “Do you have any questions?”

“A million,” she said staring out the window and watching Rome pass by. She looked back over at him. “But I’ll limit it to the ones that I really want to have answered. Do you know what the scar on my stomach is from?”

“You and I almost got captured on a mission in Kenya. The only way we could convince the people holding guns to our heads was if I killed you. I won’t get into details. Mainly because I don’t want to relive what you made me do to you. Sometime I’ll tell you the whole story when I can handle it. I stabbed you and left you for dead. You managed to drag yourself to the nearest hospital. I found you there one day later. First words out of your mouth were asking me if it was going to be a pretty scar.”

“I’m sorry for making you do that, Simon,” she said honestly.

“Please call me Colin. I’m not Simon Walker anymore. And I never want to be him again.”

“Okay, Colin. What was your relationship with Anna Espinosa?”

“After you left the Covenant, I pretended like I was devastated. Seems I was secretly in love with you the whole time we were partners. Anna comforted me. I used her for information. She thought we were in love and she was controlling me. She thought I was weak.”

“She was wrong.”

“Yes, she was,” Simon said with a smile. “What next?”

“In Cairo, you said we had a few great nights in Vienna. If you and I weren’t sleeping together, what the hell were you talking about?”

“I was testing you to see if you were remembering the memories of your missing two years. I said we had pent-up energy which we let out. I wanted it to sound like I meant sex. That way if you got offended, you obviously didn’t know what I was talking about. If you didn’t get offended, you knew what I was alluding to. We got into a few bar fights during our mission in Vienna. You always loved an after-mission brawl.”

“I still do,” Sydney informed him. She heard Sloane moan from his position in the back seat. “Looks like he’s having a bad dream.”

“He deserves it.”

“Damn right.” Sydney got quiet rather quickly after that comment.

“What’s the matter?”

“You said to me in Cairo that I deserved the beating you were giving me. If we were so close, why did you attack me?”

“It was by your orders. You told me to do anything I needed to to keep you from finding out your memories before they came back naturally. I had your permission to do anything except kill you. You couldn’t stand the idea of having wasted two years of your life for nothing.”

“What was with the invitation to your gathering? You asked me to wear a black dress.”

“Another test to see if you were remembering. We had a mission in Venice that you wore a black dress for. It almost got us killed.”

“My dress almost got us killed?”

“You got it stuck in the elevator door. Armed guards were chasing us. They were firing at us, and you got your damn dress stuck. I got shot in the arm because of your black dress.”

“I apologize on the behalf of my black dress.”

“Tell the dress I accept. To continue with my explanation of that gathering, you, your parents, and Sark weren’t originally supposed to be there. I was told by the Covenant that I was to auction off your sister’s location. I didn’t want to see Kaylee put into harm so I did the only thing I could. I sneaked your names onto the guest list. The higher ups didn’t even notice until it was too late, and they couldn’t even pin it on me for sure.”

“It was the only way you had to keep her safe.”

“Exactly. And I didn’t turn those lights off on you when you were fighting Anna. That was a few of the other operatives who were at the gathering. I would never have let Anna take Kaylee’s address from me if I had thought you wouldn’t stop her.”

Sydney saw the CIA van about a half-mile away from them. “I have no reason to trust what you’re saying to me is the truth. But I do.”

“I think deep down you know that I am someone you trusted once.” He pulled the car up next to the van.

“Sydney!” Vaughn yelled as he busted out of the van and saw her. “What happened?”

“I fought with Anna. She broke my earpiece.” Seeing Vaughn look from her to where Simon was getting Sloane out of the backseat, she added, “I picked up a few friends.”

Vaughn reached to pull his gun out, but Sydney placed her hand on his. “Michael Vaughn, this is Colin Meyer. He was my partner when I was with the Covenant.”

“What are you talking about, Syd? That’s Simon Walker. You hate him.”

“It’s a long story, but he’s not really Simon Walker. He helped me get away from the Covenant twice, once two years ago and once an hour ago. And he took down Sloane and offered him to me and the CIA.”

“I trust you,” Vaughn said as he relaxed. “And if you say that… Colin… is okay, then I believe you.”

“Where are my sister and Sark?” Sydney asked.

“You don’t know?” Vaughn asked.

“No, I don’t know. What’s going on?”

“I thought they would be with you.”

“They’re not. Sark was supposed to get Kaylee and leave the facility. Why the hell isn’t he here?”

“I don’t know, but he only has about one hour to get here. If he’s not here in time, we have to leave him and Kaylee behind.”

yeah i'm the first to reply.]
no not another cliffhanger!!! lol i loved it how you fitted the story about the truth behind Simon Walker. can't wait for the next update, thanks for the PM.

Chapter 67 through 68

Sark looked through the small window in the door that Sydney said was supposed to be to the room that Kaylee was being held in. He couldn’t see much since the window was pretty built up with dirt and grime. He could vaguely make out a bed with no mattress and a heap of clothes and blankets on the floor.

“Obviously no one has lived her in a while,” he mumbled to himself. “Damnit, Syd. How could you be wrong about something so important?” However, he found himself unable to walk away from that door. He still had a lot of faith in Sydney. So much faith that he was willing to break into this room before he started going from room to room searching for her. He was willing to waste some precious time just to be sure that she was truly wrong.

The lock on the door was fairly old and looked like it was about to rust out. Sark only had to kick the door once really hard to get it to open. He stared into the room, realizing that he was right in his assessment. There was really only a pile of blankets and clothes and a mattress-less bed.

When he had kicked the door, it slammed back into the wall and flung itself half closed again. He shoved it out of his way so that he could enter the room and do a full analysis of what was inside. The door smashed against the wall again, and that’s when he noticed something he had missed the first time he opened the door.

The pile of clothes and blankets jumped slightly at the loud sound of the door crashing open.

“Hello?” he said softly. Whatever was alive under there, he didn’t want to startle. “Is anyone in there?”

He heard a soft moan from underneath the blanket and made his way over to where the ‘pile’ was laying on the floor. He gently pulled the blanket back and was startled to see that it was actually Kaylee. Sydney had been right. She was being held in this room.

Kaylee looked at him with wide eyes. She looked like she had been through hell and back. Her body was thinner than normal. The clothes she was wearing were almost completely tattered. Her hair was tangled, and her eyes had large circles underneath them. It looked as if she hadn’t slept or eaten in days. Though through all the dishevelment and crazy looks, he could still see the woman he would give his life for underneath it all.

She kept staring at him with those familiar eyes, wide and innocent, as she scurried back into the corner. She desperately grasped at the floor to push herself as far away from him as she could.

“Get out of here,” she screamed. She flailed her arms up over her face, trying to block him from her line of sight.

“Kaylee, I’m not leaving without you,” Sark answered. He began to move towards her but was silenced when she screamed forcefully. “Would you keep it down? I don’t want any armed guards barreling in on us.”

“You are just a hallucination. You’re not real. You’re not real. You’re not real. You’re not real.” Kaylee kept repeating those same three words as she curled in the fetal position, wrapped her arms around her bent knees, and began rocking somewhat.

“It’s me, Kaylee. I am real.” Sark stretched his arm out towards her. “I’ve come to take you home.”

“No. I let myself believe you’d come for me once. You died on me then. You didn’t come and save me from the CIA. You’re not going to come now either. You are just a hallucination of my mind. You’re not really here. Go away. I have enough to deal with already.”

“I am here, and you do need me to stay with you. Just as much as I need you to come back to me and stay with me,” Sark said. He knew that he had to get the both of them out of the building rather quickly. Which was why he found himself getting frustrated with the woman he loved. “If you would just let me get close enough to touch you, you could see I was real.”

“It’s another one of Rambaldi’s tricks. It always is. Whenever I get an ounce of happiness, something comes up from his life’s work that takes it all away. That man is ruining my life from his grave.”

“Rambaldi’s prophecies won’t amount to anything if you refuse to let them happen. You’re strong. You can take your life in whatever direction you want. Come with me now. You’ll keep it from happening if you just come with me now.” He held out his hand to her again.

“Who are you really?” she asked. She got up from her crouching position against the wall and slowly walked to where he was standing. Making a continuous circle around his position, she kept poking him every once in a while. Finally she came to a rest and put her hand into his outstretched one.

“So now you believe I’m real?” he asked. He could see that she was gaining her wits a little. The progress made him want to scream for joy. He was starting to lose faith that he had what it would take to bring her back.

“I believe you’re real. But I can’t let you take me away from here, Andrew.”

“The Covenant really did a number on you.”

Kaylee sighed and sat down on the mattress-less bed. “I’ve only been here for two weeks. In that two weeks, they’ve destroyed everything I know. Everything about me. They only feed me twice. The one time I feel asleep, they came in and tried to perform tests on me. I haven’t slept since then. They’ve poked around in my head every single time I was too weak to fend them off. I don’t know what they’ve done exactly. All I know is that it scared me to death. They’ve told me everything they could think of to make me crack. I don’t know why they’re doing all of this. All I know is I can’t escape the hold they have on me. It still scares me to death a little. But knowing what is to come helps that.”

“You can escape the hold they have on you,” Sark said as he sat down next to her on the bed. “We escaped it once together, didn’t we?”

“What we had in Newcastle never would have lasted. It didn’t last. We can’t get that back.”

“We can get that back as long as you agreed to come leave this facility with me.”

“We can’t get it back,” she said forcefully.

“Fine. If we can’t get that specific moment back, then we can build a new life. A life that makes us just as happy.”

“I can’t do that. If I do, the Covenant will just find me again and drag me back here. Besides, I have a job to do.”

“And what job is that?” Sark really didn’t want to humor the futile conversation they were having, but he honestly didn’t know what else to do.

“Haven’t you heard the prophecy? I’m supposed to be betrayed by everyone I know including the man I loved the most. That came true. Everyone I knew either betrayed me or got ripped out of my life.”

Sark knew what she said was partially true. He had let her down at the moment she needed him the most. He would give up his whole world, even his life, to take that moment of stupidity back. As much as it hurt him, he cut her off. “Will Tippin never betrayed you.”

Kaylee ignored his comment. “I’m in the downward spiral that Rambaldi predicated for the woman in the prophecy. My job is to die, Andrew. It’s the only thing I was ever meant to do.”

“Your mother spent her whole life trying to prove to you that that very thing wasn’t true.”

“I’m willing to believe that she tried. But there’s no way she could succeed. I have a destiny. An unshakable fate. I can’t get away from it, no matter how hard I try.”

“So you’re just willing to wait here until the Covenant finally kills you?”

“No,” she said with a laugh that made Sark shudder. “That’s the beauty of it. I don’t have to wait until they’re ready. That’s why you’re here. That‘s the whole point of you showing up at this moment in time.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Before you got here, I wasn’t sure I had the strength to do what needed to be done. But now that you’re here, I know I can do it. You taught me the true meaning of strength. It’s my fate and my job. You’re here to help me finish that job.” With a surprisingly quick motion, Kaylee reached over and pulled out the gun that was in Sark’s pocket. “You brought me the only present I’ve ever really needed. I just have to push the trigger and this will all be over.”

Sark came back to his senses as he saw Kaylee lift the gun up to her head. He flung his hand out and knocked the gun out of her head. But not before it let out one shot.

Kaylee looked down at her body and was shocked to see no blood staining her tattered clothing. “Why did you do that?” she hissed at Sark. He was ruining everything she had spent the past two weeks dreaming up.

“Because I’m not going to let you die.” Sark looked down at where the bullet had grazed his side. It wasn’t bad enough that his back was in constant pain, but now he had a searing pain in his side. The pain didn‘t even matter to him that much. He would rather have the burden of it than see Kaylee dying before his eyes. Besides, it was a constant reminder to him that he was still alive. Pain was good.

“You are not going to let Rambaldi win,” he said. “That man didn’t know what havoc his predications would cause in your life when he made them hundreds of years ago. He was a good man, and I don’t think he would have liked the way you wanted this whole thing to turn out.”

“So you just want me to sit here and wait until the Covenant kills me?” Kaylee was confused as to what he was trying to get at. She had thought he had come here to help her end the pain, but instead he was just causing her more pain.

“No, I want you to come with me. I need you by my side, Kaylee.” Sark walked over to where Kaylee was still sitting on the bed. He kneeled down in front of her.

“No. You have my mother. You’ll be fine without me.” She smiled at him faintly.

“I don’t want your bloody mother. I want you. Since the first day I met you, I think you’ve been the only thing I’ve ever wanted. And even before that, I think I always had the idea of you in my head. You’re what I’ve been searching for. I just want to take you away from here and show you that we can be happy together again.”

“The Covenant won’t let that happen. They’ll come after me.”

“Let them,” he said determinately. He grabbed her hand and looked into her eyes. “I will never let anyone hurt you if I can help it. I love you.”

“And I love you. But that’s not strong enough to save me.”

“Then you really don’t know how much I love you.” Sark squeezed her hand. “I asked you once if you’d rather find the one you’re meant to be with and die the next day or live without them for the next fifty years. I wanted to let you know that I would have said the same thing. I would rather die than know a life without you by my side.”

“Don’t,” Kaylee said as she jerked her hand back from his. “Don’t make me choose between you and the fate I know is mine.”

“I’m not going to make you choose.” Sark grabbed her hand again. Whatever he did, he knew that it was important to keep touching her somehow. The connection between them made her sound a little more coherent and a lot less crazy. “You don’t have a choice. You’re coming with me if I have to drag you out of here. I will not let you surrender to death. I will not spend the rest of my life without you.”

Kaylee smiled at him again. “You’ll adjust. I’ve adjusted to the knowledge that I’m going to die. I have to die for everything to be set right.”

“Screw Rambaldi and his damn prophecy!” Sark screamed as he stood up. “You’re not going to die for that moronic cause.” He took a deep breath and started over a little more calm. “I need you. Our son needs you.”

“Our son?” Kaylee looked over at him with tears in her eyes. Sark let a smile pass onto his lips as he saw something click somewhere in her head. This was the key to convincing her to let go. “You know about Grayson?”

“Sydney told me. I had a right to know that I had a son.” He smiled at her. “Kaylee, I want you and I to leave this place. I want to go back to Newcastle with you. I want to have the life back that we had there once. I want to raise our son with you, out of the CIA and the Covenant and Rambaldi’s clutches. Just you, me, and our son.”

“I want all of that, too.” Sark’s heart broke as he watch Kaylee’s body wrench with sobs. “God, how I want all of that. But I don’t have the strength to leave this place. It‘s too hard. I don‘t have it in me. I can’t walk away from this.”

“Then, I’ll carry you.” Sark scooped her up into his arms. “You just rest. I’ll take care of everything from now on.”

Kaylee leaned her head onto Sark’s shoulder and finally let herself surrender to the sleep she had been denied for days. She felt safe again for the first time in two and a half years.

Sydney was sitting at her desk in the CIA offices when she came across the note. It must have been dropped there when she had been away from the desk. It had neither a stamp nor any address. Just her name written in very familiar handwriting.

All it said was “Come.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~One year earlier~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

It had broken her heart when Sark didn’t show up with Kaylee that day in Rome. They had waited half of an hour past the time they had agreed on to leave. Her mother and father argued with one another for twenty minutes straight about whether leaving was the right thing to do. In the end, they decided that it was.

Vaughn held Sydney’s hand the whole car drive and plane ride home to L.A. She was distraught with grief for her sister and the man she had come to realize was one of her best friends. It hurt him to see her so upset.

When they reached L.A., Sydney took her young nephew back to her house. It went unsaid that she was going to take care of him. Grayson knew her the best out of all his relatives, and Will had temporarily moved back in with Sydney. The main reason her taking Gray went unsaid was that not one person present wanted to talk about the fact that his parents were never going to be available to raise their own son.

For a week, life had gone on without much incidence or much investigation in to what had really happened. No one brought the subject up with Sydney or any of the people present that day in Rome. No one wanted to talk about it.

Sydney refused to believe that Sark and Kaylee were dead, and she was proud to tell anyone who would ask. People had begun to speculate that she was going to have a break down just like Vaughn had when she disappeared for two years.

When Sark waltzed into her house two weeks after his disappearance, she began to agree that it was possible she was losing her mind.

“You’re not real,” she whispered staring at him in shock.

“Everyone keeps telling me that. You. Your sister.”

“Kaylee,” Sydney said as she stood up and walked over to where Sark was standing. She reached her hand out cautiously to touch Sark. When she hit an actual person, she screamed.

“I told you I was real, Syd.”

She finally allowed herself to believe he was real when he called her Syd. It was said in such a familiar tone that she knew she wasn’t imagining things. She took in his appearance now that she knew this whole thing wasn’t all in her head.

He was dressed in a pullover sweater and a pair of jeans, simple clothing that, unlike his normal attire, didn‘t make him stand out in a crowd. She had to admit to herself, though, that no matter what he wore, he always seemed to look good and draw attention to himself that way. Half of his face showed signs of recovering from a massive bruise. His hands were covered in gauze. “War wounds,” Sydney thought. She could only assume that the hand injury was from the cut-up job she had done on both of them when they were tied back to back.

Sark smiled at her and limped his way over to the couch.

“You’re still hurting,” she stated.

“Pain killers help. I’ve never had my back cut up so badly before. And your sister bloody shot me in my side.” Sydney looked at him in surprise. “I’ll be okay. Listen. No one can know that I’m alive. They can’t know I’ve come to see you. Can you promise me that?”

Sydney nodded. “Is my sister all right?”

“She will be.” Sark was interrupted by a little boy running into the room. “Grayson?”

“You’re my daddy,” the young boy said.

Sark‘s mouth dropped open. Sydney believed this is the first time, ever, she had seen Sark truly astonished. “He knows who I am.”

“Me and Gray here have been having a few chats while you two have been awol. I explained to him who you were and showed him a picture. Funny thing is, the little bugger said he already met you once. You, and I quote, ‘are the nice man who hugged Mommy when she was crying’. Care to explain that?”

“No,” Sark said to Sydney. He turned his attention back to Grayson. “Hey, little man.”

“Can I see Mommy now? Aunt Sydney says that you know where she is.” Grayson crawled up into Sark’s lap.

“Didn’t think we were dead, huh, Syd?” he said with a smirk. He wrapped his arms around his son.

“I’ve learned over the years that you can’t be killed even if I try really, really hard. And believe me I have,” Sydney said and sat down next to them. “Why are you here, Sark?”

“I wanted to let you know that Kaylee and I are all right.”

“You just said that she isn’t all right. You said she would be,” Sydney corrected.

“Whatever the Covenant did to her, it took me two weeks to undo. She’s hurting inside and out. She needs our son with her. To help her heal. That’s the second reason I came here.”

“How am I supposed to explain Grayson’s sudden disappearance? I can’t just tell the CIA that he was kidnapped and I don’t really want to go after him.”

“Tell the CIA that Grayson wants to live with his grandmother for a while. Make up some bulls*** about how you think it’s the right thing for him to do. You were always good at lying when you had to.”

“My mother’s just going to love that grandmother thing.” She sighed. “But I’ll do it.”

“How is Irina these days?”

“Still flying high with her government pardon. She actually convinced the CIA to look into giving her clearance so she can become an agent. And you don’t even want to see her and my father together.”

“Like newlyweds?”

“I’ll never understand. First he hates her. Then he loves her. Then he hates that he loves but still does. It’s like a bad novel. Right now she’s closing up her business dealings in Paris while my father works on getting her that clearance. She’ll be there for a few months. I’ll let her know that she’s supposed to have Gray with her.”

“Thank you, Sydney.” Sark stood up with Grayson in his arms. “Are you ready to go home, little man?”

“Is Mommy there?”

“Yes, she is.”

“Then let’s go!” Grayson giggled as Sark tickled his stomach and threw him over his shoulder.

Sydney stood up next to Sark and touched his cheek lightly. “You’re going to be a great father.”

He smiled at her. “We can’t stay in contact with you, you know that. But we won’t be missing forever.”

“I’m sure I’ll hear from you again someday.”

Sark smirked one last time and walked out of the front door with Grayson in his arms waving goodbye to his aunt.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~Present Day~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Sydney looked over at the man sitting next to her on the plane. She watched as he fidgeted with the ring that was on his left hand. A giggle escaped her mouth.

“What?” Vaughn asked her.

“I was just remembering how much I hated that nervous habit of yours when you were married to Lauren. But now…”

“Now that you’re the one I’m married to, you find it kind of cute, right?”

“I find everything you do cute,” she admitted.

Vaughn stared out at the ocean the plane was flying over. “Now can you tell me why we both had to request off a week and fly to Australia?”

Sydney reached into a bag and pulled out a pen. She twisted it. “I got a note from Kaylee. The only word it said was come. She needs us for some reason. I’m not going to be the one to refuse her.”

“Is this a happy situation or a dangerous situation?”

“I honestly don’t know.”

cool i'm first to reply. great update, yeah Syd and Vaughn are married can't wait for the next update, i hope nothing bad happens. thanks for the PM

i can't wait to see what kaylee needs. i am so happy kaylee, sark, and grayson are together! thanks for the pm and updates!

WOWW!!!
awww :confused:
S/V got married... hehe thats adorable
oh! and kaylee needs them
dundundun :Ph34r:
great chapters
loved it
cant wait for more :D

This is the last chapter... :(

Thank you to : ALIAS4me, livesonspoilers, krzykty57789, smiley87, Alias Fan Gillian, ssmckh, and !n@$en+... your guy's constant feedback helped me to keep on truckin' with this story. Thank you a million times, guys!

Chapter 69

Sydney and Vaughn had gotten directions on how to get to Newcastle from Sydney from her father. He had been very confident that her sister and Sark would be staying as close to their old home as possible. Sydney couldn’t help by admire the landscape as they were driving through the city. Nothing in her life had ever seen as tranquil as this was.

Vaughn looked over at his wife with a worried face. “Are you all right, Sydney?”

“I can’t help but be jealous. This place is so beautiful. Kaylee and Sark get to have such a peaceful life now. No missions. No imminent death. No guns. No bombs. Just perfection.”

“You’re forgetting that they’re here to hide out from every government and terrorist organization. They have to stay in relative hiding for the rest of their lives just so no one gets their hands on their son. That doesn’t sound like perfection to me.”

“Pessimist,” Sydney growled lovingly at him. She suddenly got serious and turned to look at him. “I really love you, you know that.”

“Yeah, I do. What caused that little outburst of love? ” he asked with concern.

“I was just thinking about how horrible my life would be if you weren’t in it.”

Vaughn sighed and looked at his wife. “I know the five years we spent apart almost killed you. I’ll keep apologizing that for the rest of our lives.”

“It wasn’t your fault, and you know it. Our country has always been the top priority in both of our lives. We accepted that when we took our jobs at the CIA.”

“It’s not my top priority anymore,” Vaughn said candidly. “Not since the day Weiss decided to profess his undying love for you.”

Sydney began to laugh and cry hysterically. When she calmed down, she looked over at him. “I had forgotten all about that.”

“I don’t see how you could. That was the whole reason we ended up getting married that night.”

Sydney smiled at him and began to stare at the passing scenery again. In no time, she found herself drifting off to sleep and dreaming of the events that led up to her wedding.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

It had all started rather innocently. Dixon assigned the three of them to an easy assignment in Las Vegas. It was a simple snatch and grab job, nothing that Sydney, Vaughn, and Weiss hadn’t done successfully a million times. The objective was a new computer program that was created to locate the position of hidden weapons of mass destruction and about fifty thousand dollars in cash.

The mission went off without a hitch, and the trio found themselves in Vegas with some extra money. It turned out the price to purchase the computer program had gone up without the US government being any wiser.

To this day, Sydney can’t recall why they let Weiss talk them into gambling with the extra ten thousand dollars instead of turning it in with the rest of the cash. But that’s what they did.

Four hours into their little gambling spree, Sydney has managed to increase the money they had by two thousand dollars, Vaughn had successfully kept all the middle-aged men from pawing his fiancee, and Weiss had gotten pretty close to being completely drunk.

Eventually, they called it a night. On the way up to the suites the CIA had booked for them at the Bellagio was when Weiss confessed.

“You know, Syd, when you first joined the CIA, I really never would have guessed you would fall in love with Vaughn here. You two fought like cats and dogs.”

Vaughn chuckled. “That’s because I couldn’t convince this newcomer to the agency to settle down and follow the rules.”

“And then I convinced this law abiding government employee to break ever rule numerous times.” Sydney gave him a light kiss on the top of his nose.

“Enough with the grossness,” Weiss slurred. “What I was trying to say is that I really had a huge crush on you when you first came to the CIA and I honestly thought I had a chance with you.”

“No way!” Sydney exclaimed. She never guessed that Weiss had thought of her in that way.

The trio reached the door to Weiss’s hotel room. Vaughn dug the room key out of Weiss’s pocket, opened the door, and went inside. Sydney would have followed him, but Weiss grabbed her arm.

“Listen, Syd. I don’t think Michael there is really serious about marrying you.”

“What?!? Why do you say that?”

“Well, wouldn’t he have done it already?” Weiss asked.

“We’ve discussed it. It’s not the right time.”

“With your guys’ lives, it’ll never be the right time.”

“Are you coming?” Vaughn called from inside the room.

“In a minute,” Sydney answered. “What’s your point, Weiss?”

“I just wanted to let you know that I love you, Sydney, and I’d be happy to marry you tonight.”

Sydney laughed. She knew that her friend was rather drunk and probably would regret every single thing he had sad in the morning. “I’ll keep that in mind. Let’s go inside.”

Weiss stumbled into the room with a little help from Sydney, and she swiftly deposited him on the bed.

“We’re going to go to our room now, Weiss,” Sydney said as she stared at the moaning lump he had become on the bed. It looked like the alcohol was wearing off already.

“Keep my proposition in mind,” Weiss called out just as Vaughn shut the room door.

“What was he talking about?”

“Weiss offered to marry me tonight,” Sydney said nonchalantly.

“I don’t believe it.”

“It turns out he really doesn’t think you’re serious about marrying me. He wanted to give me a back-up plan.”

“I am serious about wanting to be your husband, Syd. We both know there just hasn’t been time to get married. At least not now.”

“I know.” Sydney put her hand on his arm to stop him in the middle of the hall. “There’s time now.”

“You want to get married now?” He shook his head in shock. This was not like her.

“Why not? We’re in Vegas. We have a little spare time. Let’s just pop down to one of those drive-thru wedding chapels and get hitched, Michael Vaughn!”

“You’re serious, aren’t you?”

Sydney smiled at him. “We can get married right now just to make it official. Then, when things slow down, we’ll have a nice ceremony with our friends and family.”

Vaughn realized that he probably couldn’t talk his way out of this one and began to quickly search his mind to come up with a solution to the predicament Sydney had just introduced. “I don’t want to rush into this.”

“So you don’t want to marry me?” Sydney asked. She was starting to get mad at him, and a voice in the back of her head was starting to suggest that maybe Weiss had been right.

“Let’s just sleep on it tonight. We can get married in the morning if we’re both still sure that we want to. It’ll make me feel better if I know you’ve thought it out a little more.”

The anger Sydney had begun to feel melted away as she realized that Vaughn was just trying to be considerate. “Deal. I’ll think about it tonight. But believe me, no matter what, I’m taking you to the altar tomorrow.”

They began to walk the rest of the way to their hotel room. When they reached the door, Sydney heard Vaughn softly curse. “What’s the matter?” she asked.

“I forgot some of our equipment by the blackjack tables. I’m going to go grab it, and then check in with Dixon. Let him know the mission was a success. I’ll be back in half of an hour.”

Vaughn was gone before Sydney could object or offer help.

She waited up for two hours but finally decided to go to bed when he still hadn’t come back. She had no idea what could have been keeping him.

In the morning, she woke up to feel the familiar weight of his body lying next to her. Like always, he had been staring at her sleeping.

“What kept you last night?” she asked.

“There was a small glitch with our mission. I worked it out on the phone with Marshall. No big deal.” He paused and looked at her intently. “Do you still want to get married?”

She smiled and nodded.

“Good. You have an hour to get ready.” He nodded towards the closet.

She noticed an unfamiliar garment bag hanging on their closet. “What is that?”

“That would be your wedding dress. I didn’t want you to have to get married in that slinky dress you wore for the mission last night.”

She smiled at him and ran over to open the bag. When she turned back, he was at the door.

“Be downstairs in that dress in an hour.” He winked at her. “I have a lot more surprises for you.”

And he did. Somehow, in the few hours he had been gone from her the night before, he had arranged an outdoor location for their wedding, a minister, and even an eight-piece string orchestra.

But, most important of all, he arranged to fly in every single person that Sydney cared about. Including her father who finally got his chance to walk his little girl down the aisle.

It was perfect except for the absence of her sister and the man she had come to trust almost as much as she trusted Vaughn. And she was slightly saddened to realize that little Grayson wouldn’t be present to carry the rings down the aisle for her.

Other than those three absent people, it was the wedding of her dreams, the one she had always hoped for but never told anyone she wanted. And that was the moment that she knew she had found her soul mate. He had known exactly what she wanted without her having to tell him.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

When Sydney woke up from her nap, she wasn’t surprised to see Vaughn smiling at her as he continued to drive. “What are you smiling about?”

“You were muttering something about loving me and finally finding the one,” he said with a smile. “And you said don’t frost the pie again. You’re going to have to explain to me what that exactly means one of these days.”

They drove on for a few more minutes in comfortable silence until she suddenly screamed for him to stop the car. He hit the brake hard, and they skidded to a stop.

“What’s wrong?”

“I saw a woman up on those cliffs,” Sydney said as she got out of the car and started climbing up to where she thought she saw a woman. Vaughn sighed, got out of the car, and followed her.

“You have us climbing up the backside of a cliff because you think you saw a woman?”

“Not just any woman. She looked like Kaylee.”

“What are the odds that you would actually spy your sister standing on a cliff from the road we were driving on?” Vaughn asked as they reached the top of the cliff. Sydney and he stopped suddenly.

“Pretty damn good,” Kaylee said as she walked up to them.

Sydney ran into her sister’s arms and hugged her tightly. The tears started flowing, and Sydney was pretty sure this time she wasn’t going to be able to get them to stop.

“Don’t cry on my dress, please,” Kaylee joked even though she was crying just as hard as Sydney.

“Your dress!” Sydney shrieked as she took a good look at it. It was a beautiful, flowing white dress that looked like it only had one purpose. “Are you getting married?”

“That’s why you’re here. I’m glad to see you brought Michael along with you.” Kaylee paused to give Vaughn a hug. As she was hugging him, she whispered in his ear. “Thank you for taking care of my sister. I don’t worry when I know you’re with her.”

Kaylee let go of her hold on Vaughn and turned back to her sister. “I’m sorry that I couldn’t come to your wedding when Michael called us. Both Andrew and I really wanted to. But we thought that Grayson might call a little too much attention to us at that moment. And attention isn’t really good in our current situation.”

“We understood,” Vaughn said as he put his arm around his sister-in-law. “So where’s the groom?”

“Oh, around somewhere playing with Gray. I swear, I cannot keep those two away from each other for more than thirty seconds. Lately, I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night to find him missing from my side. He keeps going into Gray’s room and just watching him sleep. I never realized how much he would thrive on being a father.”

“Me, either,” Vaughn admitted. “But it’s good to see you happy.”

Kaylee put her hand into her sister’s. “Let’s go. I don’t want to be late for my own wedding.”

As they started walking across the cliffs, Sydney asked, “So is it going to be just the five of us?”

“No, not really. I didn’t want anyone to miss my big day. So I used my spy mind and a few tricks I picked up from your husband to make it happen. The last thing I heard our Dad say to us is that I could do anything if I set my mind to it. And you can ask Sark, this is something I most definitely set my mind to.”

Kaylee dropped Sydney’s hand when they came over the horizon. Both Sydney and Vaughn’s mouths dropped in shock.

The scene they were looking at appeared as if it was taken straight from a canvas of a famous painting. The waves of the ocean could be seen crashing in to cliffs below, and the spray from it, the smell, the taste, was in the air all around them. There were chairs set up everywhere, and so many people were present.

Sydney pointed out her mother and father who were holding hands and sitting in the front row. She saw Grayson trying to wrestle with his father while Sark was yelling something at him about Kaylee getting mad if he dirtied his tuxedo. She never thought she’d live to see the day that Sark didn’t seem to care about his attire above all else. Her mouth dropped again when she saw Will come over and take Grayson off of Sark’s hands. It was even more surprising that the two were talking as if they were friends.

“Welcome to my wedding. I arranged for hell to freeze over so we could have it.” Kaylee winked at them. “Now go mingle. I need to stay out of sight so that Andrew doesn’t see me. Tell Dad that I’ll be ready in about ten minutes.”

Sydney hugged her sister quickly one more time and watched as she walked back down the way they had come from. Vaughn squeezed her shoulder lightly. “Marshall is here. I’m going to go talk with him. Maybe he has an idea of how your sister pulled this whole crazy thing off.”

She smiled at him and nodded. This whole situation had thrown her mind into a daze. She couldn’t comprehend that she was actually in Australia seeing her sister get married to the one man she thought she would despise for her whole life, Arvin Sloane excluded, and all of the people closest to her were there, too. Tears came to her eyes.

She heard a voice with a faint Irish accent call her name from behind her.

“Walker?” she said turning around.

“I thought I told you to call me Colin, Bristow,” he said with a cocky grin.

She laughed and gave him a large hug. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“Haven’t you heard? I’m a popular man. If you have me present at your fine gatherings, then you’ve really made it.”

She smacked him in the arm. “Seriously! I haven’t heard one word from you since we returned to the CIA that day one year ago. For all I knew, you were still being held at one of the CIA’s secret detention facilities for verification.”

Colin Meyer laughed. “No, the CIA actually only held me for two days. They verified my story with MI-6. That verification led to an investigation of the Oceana Division. To make a long story a little shorter, they found out that most of what Oceana had ordered me to do wasn’t authorized and in fact went against most of what the agency stood for.”

“At least MI-6 didn’t ask you to keep up the ruse and become a double agent,” Sydney said with a smirk. “Because I’ve been there and it’s really not a fun place to be.”

“Anyway, MI-6 saw my actions in a positive light. They said that I was one of the best agents they’ve seen in years. They offered to let me stay on with them as an agent. I turned them down.”

“Why?”

“Because I’ve grown tired of the spy game. I don’t want to have to worry about whether or not I’ve gotten mixed up in actions that are unethical or go against what the government really wants. So I walked.”

“Where did you go?”

“I used a few personal contacts I had acquired while under my Simon Walker alias to locate your sister and Sark. They were in Tuscany. I offered my services.”

“Offered your services? What are you, a male prostitute?”

“Something of the sort.” He chuckled as he saw Sydney’s jaw drop. “I’m kidding. Sark and your sister have both built up two pretty sizeable next eggs. We came to an agreement. They pay me to keep them from being noticed while they’re in hiding. I was responsible for finding the right place for them to make a home.”

“How did you know about Newcastle? I assume that you were the one who found them their home here since you said that was your job.”

“It was Will.”

“You talked with Will?”

“Kaylee was worried about him. She wanted to know that he was all right. She wanted me to tell him that she was all right. I explained who I was and what I was supposed to do. He told me to start looking in Newcastle.”

Sydney looked over to where Will was seated with Grayson in his lap. “He is an amazing man. I wish I could find someone to make him as happy as he deserves to be.”

“I have a sister,” Simon suggested.

Sydney smiled at him. She watched her husband walk over to her father and whisper something. “We should sit down. I think the ceremony is about to start.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Sark stared down the aisle at what he could only describe as the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. And probably the most ironic. Jack Bristow was leading his youngest daughter down the aisle with the intent of handing her over willingly to a man he had once said was the last man he would want to be a part of his family.

This day was not about Jack Bristow and his feelings. It was about Kaylee. Like everything in Sark’s life for the past four years, it was about Kaylee.

As she walked to him arm in arm with her father, their eyes never left each other’s. When she reached his side and Jack had taken his seat, she reached up and touched his cheek gently wiping a tear from his eye.

“I love you,” he mouthed silently.

“I know.”

The priest standing in front of them began the ceremony. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered her on this day to unite two people in the bonds of holy matrimony. Kaylee and Andrew have worked very hard and very long to make it to this day. This ceremony will be brief so that they can begin their life together as man and wife as soon as possible. Love shouldn’t be required to wait.”

Sydney smiled and squeezed Vaughn’s hand lightly.

“We start this beautiful day with the exchange of vows.” He held his hand out towards the bride. “Kaylee?”

She nodded at the priest then turned to smile at Sark as she slipped her hands into his. “I’ll start with saying I can’t believe we’re actually here. I remember the exact moment when we met. Your first words to me were ‘Um, hello…” and I was laying on the floor in a towel recovering from running right smack into you.” She smiled to herself. “That was back when you still thought I was Sydney. Lucky for me, we got over that. Probably the first time in history that the person was actually relieved that they weren’t falling in love with Sydney. Usually people aspire for that. The only problem, then, was there was still the issue of my being my mother’s daughter.”

She paused and looked out at all the people present. “I love this man with all my heart. The first moment I saw him, I knew that I had to have him in my life. As you all know I come from a very determined line of women, so when I decided I wanted him, there was nothing that could stop me. And nothing did.” She squeezed Sark’s hand. “You and I, we made it through off-the-wall prophecies, a few hidden months, thinking that you was going to betray me at any moment, your death, my disappearance, grief at different assorted moments. And then finally, I lost my mind. And you, you brought me back. You always said you would be there when I need you. And I always believed you. And you were there at all the moments when I needed you the most. You are my lifeline. You are my salvation. But most importantly, you are the father of the most important part of my world.”

“Me!” Grayson screamed from Will’s lap. Will looked around sheepishly as all eyes glared at him.

“I can’t even sum up in words how much I want and need you. If you were not here with me, if you had not been with me through…” She paused to wipe a tear from her eye. “You are the thing that keeps me going. You are what makes me get up in the morning and what makes me unafraid to fall asleep at night. My shelter, my love, my life.”

Sark smiled at her and whispered, “I wish I were allowed to kiss you.”

“Against the rules,” she said shaking her finger.

“Andrew?” the priest said motioning for Sark to begin.

“I recall the moment when I first realized that I was falling in love with you. We had escaped from some agency or another that had kidnapped us. There’s too many for me to keep track of.” Sark smirked at his soon-to-be wife. “You took me back to your house in Paris, and I asked you the most important question of my life besides the whole proposal. I asked if your would rather find the one you’re meant to be with and die the next day or live without them for the next fifty years.”

Sark turned to the people gathered. “Do you know what she said to me? ‘I’d rather love and love well then spend my life knowing what I could have had’.” He faced Kaylee and looked in her eyes. His trademark smirk was nowhere to be found on his solemn face. “That one phrase defines our whole relationship. You’re a person who shows love to the fullest and would rather die than not know that feeling. Because of you, I’ve become the same way.”

Sark took a deep breath. “I’ve done some things in the past that I’m not proud of. You’re the first woman I ever met who knew so much about me including my mistakes. You were the strongest, most brave person I’d ever met. You took a chance on a cold-blooded killer whom you saw a little bit of good in. You stuck by your instincts and defended me to everyone you held dear. You take me as I am, even when though no one understood. You still loved me through it all. That amazed me and scared me. It still does. I didn’t want to lose you now that I had found you. Because of that very thing, I did lose you. And it ruined my life. But we found each other again.”

Kaylee smiled at him. “I admit that before I met you, I was an extremely cocky, self-assured person. So much that I thought that I knew everything and I was everything I needed to be. I was wrong.” He put his hand up to her cheek and rubbed it lightly. “I was nothing. I know that now. Without you in my life, I am nothing. I would rather die now than learn to live without you. I know now that is all I need. You’re all I see. And I never want that to change.”

“If you ever get lost again, I promise I will find you no matter how long it takes or how hard it gets. I will dedicate my life to making sure that you’re never afraid of anything again. You’ve given me everything.” His eyes scanned the crowd and rested on the face of his son. “And then some. Thank you.”

The priest gave everyone present a moment to collect themselves and then continued on with the ceremony. “Andrew, do you take Kaylee to be your wife? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish, and protect her, forsaking all others and holding only unto her?”

“I do,” Sark said. He squeezed Kaylee’s hands lightly.

“Kaylee, do you take Andrew to be your husband? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish, and protect her, forsaking all others and holding only unto him?”

“I do with all my heart,” she said. Sydney was delighted to see that her sister was practically beaming.

“And now let us exchange the rings.”

Sark walked over to where Grayson was sitting. “Are you ready for your moment, little man?”

Grayson nodded and hopped off of Will’s lap. He slipped his little hand into his father’s and Sark led him up to the altar. Grayson fished two rings out of his pocket and handed them to his father.

Sark smiled at his son and motioned for him to go back to Will. “Did I do good?” Grayson whispered when he was seated on Will’s lap again.

“You were perfect, Gray,” Will answered. He returned his attention back to the altar where Sark was slipping a ring on Kaylee’s finger.

“I, Andrew, take thee, Kaylee, to be my wife- to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, and I promise my love to you forevermore.”

Kaylee had finally stopped the tears that Sark had made her shed with his vows. She didn’t really care that he was making her cry again.

“I, Kaylee, take thee, Andrew, to be my husband- to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, and I promise my love to you forevermore.”

Andrew and Kaylee, you two have promised your love for each other by these vows and the giving of these rings. We can see that your love surpasses words, actions, and this moment. May you find your place together in life and share your joy with those around you. I’m happy to now declare you, officially, husband and wife. You may kiss your bride.”

Sark smiled at Kaylee and placed a soft, gentle kiss on her lips.

“We’re going to be all right, aren’t we?” Kaylee asked her new husband.

“Yes, I think we will be.” Sark looked around at everyone present. “I think we will be.”

Sark and Kaylee walked down the aisle together. When they got to the point where they were supposed to stop to let people come and congratulate them, Sark pulled Kaylee’s hand to keep her walking.

“I want to have a minute alone with you,” he whispered in her ear.

They walked along the edge of the cliffs until their wedding party was just a group of distant figures. Kaylee rested herself into his arms and just stayed silent for a moment, taking it all in. “There was a point where I thought this would never happen. When you died, I thought that I would never be happy again.”

“But you are…? Happy?”

“I’ve never been happier.”

Sark looked down at his wife. “It’s not too late to back out. If you don’t resign yourself to a life of hiding… if you don’t want to settle…”

“Settle?” Kaylee was appalled. “I don’t think anyone’s ever ‘settled’ for you in their life. You’re a prime catch!”

“Seriously,” Sark said.

Kaylee was actually surprised to see his face was full of worry. “You’re not kidding, are you? You’re serious! I can’t believe you’re trying to pick a fight with me on our wedding day, Andrew Ian Sark! I never want you to think I’m settling for you. I meant everything I said to you. You are my world, and I wouldn’t trade my time with you for anything.” Kaylee looked up at him with tears in her eyes. “I have never loved anyone as much as I love you.”

“I’m sorry,” Sark said. “I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“It’s okay. You’re going to upset me a lot in our life together, you stupid bastard!”

He laughed and pulled her tighter to him. “I’m never going to let you go. You know that, right?”

“I’m counting on it.” Kaylee touched the corner of his mouth. “You know I always loved that little corner of your mouth where your smirk starts. It’s so cute, yet sexy at the same time.”

Sark smirked for her benefit and began to laugh again. “Let’s go. We have lots of guests who are desperate to tell you that you’ve made a huge mistake and married a murderer.”

“I can handle them. As long as you‘re with me, I can handle them.” Kaylee slipped her hand into his, and together they began to walk back down to where all their family and friends were waiting.

that was the perfect ending. i enjoyed every bit of your story, you are such an awesome writer. thanks for the PM once again.

Back