Fighter Class

I like playing both Ranger (bow) and any class that has to do with Martial Arts. Looks like the Rrogue is as close as it gets to the latter being described here as excelling at melee combat.

Wonder why no specific Martial arts style fighter though? Think of all the weaps that could be implemented and specialized in were that class implemented. Does this character not look like one?

The original class list had a "Monk" in there, but it did not make the latest release. I assume it was just going to be too much to implement, although I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of combo that turned out to be monkish. Rogue/Cleric? Cleric/Rogue?

Probably because there are alot of cookie-cutter monk class types in other MMO's. personaly, I would want the monk class to be a strict martial arts type with authentic various fighting styles to specialize in. If they couldnt do that or something similar, I dont think it would be worth adding imho.

Martial:
1 - Of, relating to, or suggestive of war.
2 - Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms.
3 - Characteristic of or befitting a warrior.

Looks to me like any fighter of high enough skill/level could make those into an art.

As far as for kung fu matrix chop sockee.... Well, maybe they decided to go with a somewhat different theme in their world. Tolkien didn't seem to lose out on much popularity by not having his elfs trained by Jet Li.

I just fail to see why a shaolin class is apparently seen as a near-requirement in an RPG, even when the most successful MMORPG of today doesn't have one.

For all we know there might be abilities in the fighter line that allow for hand combat martial arts style. They've monk like clothing in game, so maybe.... (come on, not that much of a stretch is it!)

Oh I totally agree that it is possible that there will be some shaolin-inspired abilities. I just don't believe it should be a *requirement* is all.

And actually with that chinese fighter picture.... i ma starting to suspect it may be a holla back to when a monk class *was* planned on release...

I have been thinking about a class that was proficient in using the body as a weapon, fists, arms, elbows, knees feet, legs, So on and so forth.

I would for surely make a class and actually level just because I've never seen such a class in any game.

My guess is that one of the reasons that the monk was taken out was because of all those martial arts weapons that are used. Stuff like kama, nunchuku, shuriken, and whatnot don't really seem to fit with the theme that I've seen in Hero's Journey so far. At any rate, I'm tired of seeing katana and other such Asian weapons in western-style high fantasy games, especially when they're called katana (I was very disappointed to find such weapons in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion).

Also, City of Heroes has a martial arts class, though it's focused almost exclusively on kicks.

Back