Finally Myspace Shut Down

I never used MySpace, but heard lots of bad things about it. I'm sure many folks used it honestly, but the many who didn't ruined it for all.

What I find sad, is so many people are acting like their social lives are ruined by this loss, as if there were no other mediums for socializing on the web. <.<

I think you ought to verify the integrity of your news sources. Who the heck is MSB? It is not MSNBC, ABC, CNN, CBS, or the Associated Press (AP) for sure. If the AP doesn't cover it, and none of the other major networks in the U.S. do, rest assured it's bogus. Especially when it comes to some conglomerate as large as MySpace.

I am not employed by MySpace, but rest assured, I deal with their company, and they are *not* shutting down. They're still paying their bandwidth bills and founding new technologies for their website. None of which is cheap. I'm sure I'd get strangled if I even mentioned how their network works, and their bandwidth usage, so take it with a grain of salt if you wish.

What are they doing? They're going to be making it harder for minors to come in contact with adults. They're not shutting down, they just have been under lots of investigation and been sued, as you can see by looking up "'associated press' 'myspace'" in any search engine. Perhaps, check out the following news items:

Video
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/06/2...tion=cnn_latest
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20060622/bs_bw/tc20060622248279

~ Jaraeth

It didn't look right to me, some of the lnks are odd names and don't even work. The registration belongs to Wiz Teen Inc. The adminstrative contact has a gmail account.

Originally posted by Sylvado@Jun 22 2006, 05:39 PM
Be careful with anything found on this site. They also own msndollz.com which has been reported as a source of malware.
LOL... go figure.

~ Jaraeth

I never trust any "news" website that is chock full of misspellings and bad sources ("Internet Patrolsmen Headquarters?" wtf?).

MySpace was purchased from Tom, the original owner. He stays on as a figurehead, and perhaps a lead coder. But they're about as big as Google and Yahoo now, financially speaking, they're not going away anytime soon, or very fast. Heck, I just went to the movies today and say a preview state "Check out this movies community page at myspace.com/movie"... sadly, I can't remember what movie it was a preview for.

Oh well, we live and learn :smiley:

~ Jaraeth

I did a little digging, check this out.

[doHTML]

"NewsCorp. purchased Intermix Media Inc., the owner of Myspace, for $580 million last month [july 2005]"

article

History of News Corp.

here

"2005 News Corp. goes on an Internet shopping spree, purchasing Intermix Media, owner of MySpace.com, for $580 million, sports site Scout Media Inc. for $60 million and IGN Entertainment Inc. for $650 million."

When a company spends that kind of money, I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon. (Scroll to the bottom of the last link)

According to Yahoo Finance the company saw a $23 billion Total Revenue in 2005 with ~$2 billion of that as profit in the same year

[/doHTML]

Originally posted by Jaraeth@Jun 23 2006, 07:57 AM
"Check out this movies community page at myspace.com/movie"...
i don't understand this at all. why are major motion pictures and musicians and movie stars and such putting out myspace sites? i thought the fundamental behind it was a place for people to gather that did not want the burden of running a vanity site, and to be able to quickly and easily gather friends of common interests.

i saw a page for brad pitt one time, and the whole thing was of him, and was put together by his publicist[sp]. what the hell, he prob doesn't even go there. or maybe he looks at it once in a great great while. one of my favorite bands, rancid, has one too. soon as i saw that i got angry. to me its just redundant and overkill. if i want info on rancid or brad pitt, i'll go to their actuall websites. if i want to kill my bandwidth from all the hundreds of "thanks for the add!" 600x600 images people post in the comments area, i'll hit up myspace.

Originally posted by fips+Jun 23 2006, 01:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fips @ Jun 23 2006, 01:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jaraeth@Jun 23 2006, 07:57 AM
"Check out this movies community page at myspace.com/movie"...
i don't understand this at all. why are major motion pictures and musicians and movie stars and such putting out myspace sites? i thought the fundamental behind it was a place for people to gather that did not want the burden of running a vanity site, and to be able to quickly and easily gather friends of common interests. [/b][/quote]
That may have been it's original purpose, and it may be what the current company hopes, but, when it allows everyone and anyone to sign on to the site for free? People of all types will use it, for free. Free webspace for publicity? Sure why not? It used to cost them a couple million bucks to get just a small web presence ;)

~ Jaraeth

i understand that j. my point isn't directed at john q. public. its the big guys that don't need to waste their time with site-in-a-can.

Originally posted by fips@Jun 23 2006, 12:03 PM
i understand that j. my point isn't directed at john q. public. its the big guys that don't need to waste their time with site-in-a-can.
You mean the same guys who don't want to waste time with lengthy delays from web designers, etc?

People are at Myspace, so those who build a career on public interest will naturally come there. I have no clue about Myspace, but I assume it has plenty of links and groups and everything, which allows those looking for publicity an easier way of getting it by jumping in people's faces rather than passively waiting for them to come to their website (which the rich ones will still have.... because it's *more* publicity).

Question: what's the difference between Myspace and Bebo?

Originally posted by crisisfox+Jun 23 2006, 06:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crisisfox @ Jun 23 2006, 06:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fips@Jun 23 2006, 12:03 PM
You mean the same guys who don't want to waste time with lengthy delays from web designers, etc?

People are at Myspace, so those who build a career on public interest will naturally come there. I have no clue about Myspace, but I assume it has plenty of links and groups and everything, which allows those looking for publicity an easier way of getting it by jumping in people's faces rather than passively waiting for them to come to their website (which the rich ones will still have.... because it's *more* publicity).

Question: what's the difference between Myspace and Bebo? [/b][/quote]
Oh oh I know, call on me teach!

A) Bebo isn't worth $580 million U.S.
B) No one knows what the hell Bebo is
C) Bebo is probably another of the 1000 MySpace clones that came after myspace (probably, i have no idea to be honest)

am I right?

Originally posted by Pietoro@Jun 22 2006, 04:11 PM
as if there were no other mediums for socializing on the web. <.<
As if there were no other mediums for socializing... *cough* real life *cough*.

'Scuse me, something in my throat there, I think I'm coming down with a case of reality.

Originally posted by tasoli+Jun 23 2006, 04:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tasoli @ Jun 23 2006, 04:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pietoro@Jun 22 2006, 04:11 PM

'Scuse me, something in my throat there, I think I'm coming down with a case of reality.
[/b][/quote]

lol. Yes, but I was specifically talking about the web, not RL. As in, its not like there aren't blogs or messageboards or AIM.

Originally posted by Pietoro+Jun 23 2006, 11:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pietoro @ Jun 23 2006, 11:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by tasoli@Jun 23 2006, 04:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Pietoro
@Jun 22 2006, 04:11 PM

lol. Yes, but I was specifically talking about the web, not RL. As in, its not like there aren't blogs or messageboards or AIM. [/b][/quote]
Yea I know I'm just yankin' yer chain. :smiley:

I love the internet as much as the next guy, but man...the internet is getting retarded. I'm going to hate raising a kid in this age. Too much of anything is bad. It's no wonder schools are getting worse. Online social skills and RL social skills don't really translate. Don't get me wrong, I'm on the net a lot, and can play games for hours at a time...but I know what RL social interaction is. Sad to see that some people don't feel they need it.

Sad image to see a fat out of shape kid hunched over in his comp chair 100% of the time he's not at school...then claim he has a life and many friends online. Even worse to see him get angry and irate when someone tries to get him to take a break. I've seen this in many many cases personally, and that type of angry they get when people interrupt them playing games or when people tell them to get off is borderline mental illness...borderline evil. Professional sports athletes don't even get that kind of upset when they get bad calls in a meaningful game. My cousin threw a radio at his mom when her supposed "interruption" caused him to get killed in a game. Sick sick sick. And I know A LOT of kids/adults like this.

It's the same kind of anger you see when you take drugs away from an addict.

Back