Finally Myspace Shut Down

Originally posted by Rics@Jun 30 2006, 07:10 AM
I love the internet as much as the next guy, but man...the internet is getting retarded. I'm going to hate raising a kid in this age. Too much of anything is bad. It's no wonder schools are getting worse. Online social skills and RL social skills don't really translate. Don't get me wrong, I'm on the net a lot, and can play games for hours at a time...but I know what RL social interaction is. Sad to see that some people don't feel they need it.

Sad image to see a fat out of shape kid hunched over in his comp chair 100% of the time he's not at school...then claim he has a life and many friends online. Even worse to see him get angry and irate when someone tries to get him to take a break. I've seen this in many many cases personally, and that type of angry they get when people interrupt them playing games or when people tell them to get off is borderline mental illness...borderline evil. Professional sports athletes don't even get that kind of upset when they get bad calls in a meaningful game. My cousin threw a radio at his mom when her supposed "interruption" caused him to get killed in a game. Sick sick sick. And I know A LOT of kids/adults like this.

It's the same kind of anger you see when you take drugs away from an addict.
Which is why, when I have kids, I'm going to do a lot of outdoors stuff with them. Sports, hiking, surfing, biking, auto racing, working on cars, etc. It's very important to have fun outside of the artificial world of computers.

Originally posted by Rics@Jun 30 2006, 05:10 AM
It's the same kind of anger you see when you take drugs away from an addict.
I was addicted to Warcraft last year. It disgusted me when I realized it was true. I was in Jr. year going to Sr. year in Highschool and I woke up everyday during the summer and played WoW until I went to sleep. I logged over 1K hours in the first month I had Xfire. It was sick, so I quit. Cold turkey, like a smoker with cigarettes. Never looked back, and this summer I've got a job and I moderate my computer time with my activities in real life. The sad thing is, you can do anything too much, and some people fail to realize it and get sucked in indefinately.

Here is why I LOVE MySpace.

I moved out of california a few years back. I've found friends that I had in middleschool on myspace. Friends I had when I served in the Marine Corps. Buddies from work that I wouldn't normally talk too very much.

When your friends post bulletins like "Me, John and Dave are going to the lake tomorrow... if you wanna go lemme know." or perhaps just something funny that one of your friends did.

I say... let MySpace HELP your real social life really bloom! Personally, I have VERY VERY few 'friends' on myspace that i've met online.

Not to mention... there is a Hero's Journey group on MySpace!

Originally posted by HJ-Zee@Jun 30 2006, 09:36 PM
Here is why I LOVE MySpace.

I moved out of california a few years back. I've found friends that I had in middleschool on myspace. Friends I had when I served in the Marine Corps. Buddies from work that I wouldn't normally talk too very much.

When your friends post bulletins like "Me, John and Dave are going to the lake tomorrow... if you wanna go lemme know." or perhaps just something funny that one of your friends did.

I say... let MySpace HELP your real social life really bloom! Personally, I have VERY VERY few 'friends' on myspace that i've met online.

Not to mention... there is a Hero's Journey group on MySpace!
You got it Zee, that's exactly what MySpace should be fore. And I don't mind garage/bedroom bands throwing up some of their music. I've ordered CDs from a couple people who don't have lables. That's actually all I use it for is to find music. I don't even have an account, but I was really thinking about making an account for the UAG2A..prolly won't though, I'll just use a site.

MySpace is honestly one of the greatest ideas, sites created in the past few years. A giant community where people can write about themselves, and keep in touch with hundreds of friends. I can see no bigger success online, then this such idea, and product.

I however, do not have a MySpace. I creatd one when it first came out, but about 6 months into it, I deleted everything. Enjoy to those who like it. It really is a great product.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with my college buds. If something's going on, we all know about it within half an hour of it being announced. Since it's summer, though, I rarely visit the site.

I have a Myspace account, but Facebook is just so much better than it, I haven't touched Myspace since I registered.

Back