Finding My Way

if i have to tell people one more time that i'm not sending out PMs i swear i'll stop posting fics
if someone has any idea how to cram this concept into people's thick skulls enlighten me, i beg you

:eek: Janet - just start ignoring people who ask. I mean, you say it at the beginning of every fictiion you post and if people are missing that concept, then they have a problem. Don't even bother responding to anyone asking for one anymore and do your thing for the people who read your stuff, like, religiously, and know you post every day. But don't stop posting b/c of the few people who can't catch on.

And to everyone else... read the beginnings of her fics and/or her signature.. she SAYS she doesn't do PM's...and there is no reason for her to! She posts every single day around 8:30 in the morning EST. Seriously.. EVERY day. Unless the website is down or something. So you can pretty much guarantee that any "SkyGirl" fic is going to be updated if you come on this website at least once a day. But don't keep asking her or else we won't get to read her awesome fiction anymore and that would suck, a lot.

Part 3
“Uggggh hang on!” Sydney groaned loudly at the sound of the doorbell ringing. She had just started painting her toes and of course the doorbell had to ring at that very moment. Using the napkin by her side, she wiped off the polish stripe she had just painted on before she screwed the nail polish bottle cap on tightly. Then, she scampered through the house, opened up the door and froze at the sight of the man she loved. It had been just over a year since the last time she had seen him and four months since she had received the letter containing his proposal. In that time, they had only received one letter and two emails from him, causing both Sydney and Amelia to worry greatly.

“My god…,” Sydney exhaled after a solid two minutes of them just staring at each other. Slowly, she reached out to touch his deep green army uniform, just to check to see if he was real and prove to herself he wasn’t just an illusion.

The moment her hand collided with the soft fabric she burst into tears and threw herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He lifted her up in his arms and hugged her tighter than he had ever hugged anyone before. Burying his face in her neck, he breathed all of her in letting her strength, the strength of them together, heal all the wounds their year apart had caused.

“Sydney,” he exhaled finally as he pulled her into the house, shutting the door behind him. She refused to loosen her grip around his neck for another minute but when she did, she pulled back and ran her hands across his face really, truly looking at him for the first time in a year. He was much tanner than he had been and he looked as though he had aged five years instead of just one. His brilliant green eyes were still the same, though; the sparkle had returned to them the moment he laid eyes on her.

For her first words to him in so long, she knew exactly what they were going to be. She had known for four agonizing months, waiting for his return. A smile grew across her face as she said, “Yes.”

His eyes curiously searched hers for a moment, trying to figure out what she was saying. Then, it hit him and he laughed, pulling her into a smothering hug once more. “Oh Syd,” he sighed, bringing his hand up to comb through her hair as they embraced. “I love you.”

“I love you,” Sydney whispered before bringing her lips to Michael’s. They kissed hungrily as Sydney moved her arms from around his neck down to his waist, pulling their bodies right up against each other. When they broke, gasping for breath, a smile crossed Sydney’s face one again. “Who’da thought that was so good?”

“I know,” Michael laughed softly before kissing her one more. This time as they kissed, Sydney began undoing the buttons on Michael’s jacket one by one. She only made it to the third button, though, before Michael stopped her by brushing her hands away.

“What’s the matter? Don’t you wanna celebrate?” she asked with a sly grin as she put her hand back against his chest. He moved it away again and pushed past her, walking into the adjoining family room. “What’s the matter?”

“Nothing,” he said quickly.

Her brow furrowed as she walked over to him slowly. “Michael, are you alright?” she asked in a very serious tone.

“Yes,” he said ever quicker than his pervious response.

“You’re lying to me,” she accused him. It was easy to tell, for her, at least. Whenever Michael lied to her, he never looked at her and he’d always answer in quick, short responses in a certain tone that she could pick up on immediately. She grabbed his arm and held him steady as she walked around in front of him, dipping her head so that she could meet his eyes. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

“Nothing,” he insisted in his lying tone. “Where’s Mom?”

“It’s Saturday afternoon she’s out with Mrs. Kent. Why are you lying to me?”

“I just don’t want to talk about it okay?!” he practically shouted at her.

Her eyes narrowed and she folded her arms over her chest. This caused him to back off slightly, knowing that look all too well. “If I am going to be your wife, Michael Vaughn, you cannot lie to me. Is that understood?” she asked in a sharp tone.

“Yes,” he said timidly, dropping his eyes to the floor. “But there are some things I just can’t talk to you about.”

“Why not?”

“Because you wouldn’t understand,” he said, his tone returning to one that had a sharp edge. Then, he walked past her and down the hall in the direction of his room.

Sydney turned and followed him, tears brimming on the edge of her eyes – not the good kind, either. She walked full force up to Michael’s door, turning the handle on the way, but when it didn’t open she rammed right into it. She tried the handle again, but it was clearly locked. “Let me in,” she commanded. He didn’t respond, but two minutes later he emerged from the room dressed in jeans and a white t-shirt with a striped dress shirt over top, half unbuttoned.

Sydney stood directly in front of him, refusing to let him walk by her. Then, she placed one hand on each of his cheeks holding his face in position as she looked him directly in the eyes. “You can tell me,” she said softly. “Please, please tell me.”

He shut his eyes and shook his head as much as he could. “Can’t… not yet.”

Sydney sighed, slightly heartbroken; she’d have to settle for that answer for now. After all, it was better to have him there, silent, than off somewhere across the world. She leaned up and gave him a long kiss. His hands found their way to her hips and she felt his finger tips brush up against the bare skin on her back, causing tingles throughout her body. “Are you sure we can’t celebrate?” she asked him in a soft yet serious tone. He laughed softly and was just about to speak when they heard the back door squeak open.

“Sydney, are you here? I have the most amusing story to tell you!” Amelia called as she walked in the house.

Michael brushed a quick kiss upon Sydney’s forehead before walking off in the direction of his mother’s voice. Sydney followed quickly behind, preparing herself to resuscitate Amelia if necessary.

The moment she laid eyes on her son, Amelia let out a loud screech and leaned back against the kitchen counter for support as she clutched her chest tightly. Michael rushed to her side immediately. “Michael,” Amelia exhaled, her voice sounding haunted. She reached out her hand and gently touched her son’s face.

“I’m here Mom; I’m okay,” he said softly. The sound of his voice brought Amelia to tears and she flung her arms around him and clung to him as she cried. After a few moments, Sydney joined her family in their embrace, and the three of them held each other for what seemed like not quite long enough after a year apart.

“Oh Michael I’m so glad to see you sweetheart,” Amelia said once she had composed herself. “Are you here on leave? Why didn’t you tell us you were coming?!”

“I didn’t tell you because I wanted it to be a surprise,” he grinned. “And I’m not here on leave; I’m here permanently. The army released me from duty.”

“Oh Michael that’s wonderful!” Amelia exclaimed, hugging him once more. Sydney, however, didn’t see the ‘wonderful’ in this. While she was glad to have him back, she knew that the army didn’t release anyone for no reason at all. That fact combined with Michael’s strange behavior caused her to worry greatly about whatever he wasn’t telling her.

Amelia, however, was completely blinded by the joy of having her son home to notice the small differences Sydney did. For example, when he sat down he made sure that his arms were tucked protectively over his chest, never anywhere else. Also, he was much more fidgety and jumpy than he had been before.

Over dinner the three of them discussed wedding plans, though Sydney was a minimal participant in the discussion. While Amelia chattered on about the best places to get married and honeymoon, Sydney kept her eyes and thoughts trained on Michael, desperate to know what was really wrong with him.

It wasn’t until Michael announced that he was going to bed early that Sydney snapped from her haze. Amelia bid him goodnight and then returned to the book she was reading, not even bothering to comment when Sydney slipped out of the room after him. She walked quickly after him and jammed her foot in the doorway of his bedroom before he could shut the door completely. She slipped in the room and shut the door while he gaped at her. Deciding on a completely different approach to get him to reveal his secret she said in a soft tone, “If you think I’m spending the night apart from you after not seeing you for a whole year you’re crazy.”

This brought a soft smile to his face but it faded quickly as he crossed his arms back over his chest. Sydney pulled them back down to his sides, though. By that point she had deduced that there was something underneath his shirt he didn’t want her to see. Whether it was a tattoo or a scar she didn’t know or care; she only wanted him. She undid the three buttons on his striped shirt, one by one, her eyes never leaving his.

She gulped slightly as she pushed it off of his shoulders. The look of fear in his eyes was unnerving her. It was only when she began to lift his t-shirt over his head that she lowered her eyes. When she caught a glimpse of his stomach, she dropped the hem of his shirt, stepped back and gasped. Her hand slowly made its way to her mouth as tears welled in her eyes. “Michael…,” she breathed, raising her eyes to his.

“I’m sorry,” he said quietly, averting her eyes from hers.

Slowly, she stepped forward again and picked up the hem of his shirt one more. She took a deep breath before using her hands to lift it up high on his chest. She saw then that the scar continued all the way up to his collar bone. From the melted appearance of his skin it was obvious he had suffered severe burns. Looking at him that way, she wasn’t sure whether she was going to cry or be sick – or both.

When she went to move her hand to rest on his marred skin, he grabbed her hand and moved it away, not wanting her to touch. “Does it hurt?” she asked softly.

“Not anymore,” he said, his voice harsh.

She moved her hands to his chest again and that time he didn’t stop her. The skin didn’t feel nearly as awful as she thought it would have. It was still warm; it only felt a little different. After resting her hand there for a moment, she lifted the t-shirt up high on his chest, indicating for Michael to take it off. He did so and she circled him once, looking for more marks, but it appeared the scarring was limited to the area between his collarbone and his belly button, though there were a few marks on the inside of his arms.

She wrapped her arms around him tightly and pressed soft kisses onto his wounded body. After a few moments she raised her head up, looking him directly in the eye and asked softly, “What happened?”

He moved to sit down on the edge of his bed before responding, “There was a bomb by the side of a road. It killed half my unit and left me like this. I’ve been in the hospital for the past two months. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to worry. My life was never in danger I was just….,” he let his voice drift off.

Sydney sat down beside him, hugged him tightly and pressed kisses all along one side of his face. “I’m glad you’re okay,” she said softly into his ear.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you… I was afraid…afraid this would change things,” he told her.

“Michael, no, never,” she assured him with a kiss. Then she added with an obviously playful tone, “Besides, it’s your face I really care about.”

He looked up, saw her smile and laughed. “You’re crazy.”

“About you, yeah,” she smiled. “Can we celebrate now?”

“Yeah,” he said, nuzzling her face into hers. “Love you Syd.”

“Love you too.”

awwwwwwwwwww my poor lil vaughny
all toughened up
id love to see how they lived hteir life after this
and how he acts
*hint hint*

Best three part I've ever read!!!!!!!!! :love:

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you… I was afraid…afraid this would change things,” he told her.

“Michael, no, never,” she assured him with a kiss. Then she added with an obviously playful tone, “Besides, it’s your face I really care about.”

He looked up, saw her smile and laughed. “You’re crazy.”

“About you, yeah,” she smiled. “Can we celebrate now?”

“Yeah,” he said, nuzzling her face into hers. “Love you Syd.”

“Love you too.”

:naughty: YAY... they're going to celebrate... LOL... with champagne and strawberries right???? :rolleyes: :angelic: Seriously... they don't have time for that... man they have to make up for a year DUDE! :lol:

*sorry* :blush:

Wonderful Janet! It was brilliant... how amazing such a short story can be (y)

Back