Finding My Way

Wow!! thsi is good... i mean REALLY good!
I can't believe he just left... especially to go to war...
I know americans are very patriots people (i adimire that), but in my country we are not patriot at all (unless we are talking 'bout soccer) and that's why i just think going to war is the most stupid thing a man can do, risk his life for politics and ecomics reasons. Its just hard for me to get it....
But good job at the writting! ;)

Wow!!
That was really great writing!!
Well It's always great writing!
Thanks for the pm!
Can't wait to see what's going to happen!

Roughly summarized it was the ‘Why are you leaving me you big dumb wannabe soldier?’ look
Baha i can SO picture that look :smiley:

As they kissed in her bed, though, the knowledge that he was leaving in less than twelve hours became too great and, before either of them knew it, they were shedding each other’s clothes and making love in the soft lamplight of the room before falling asleep together.
😌 awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 😌

It was there that she broke down in tears, crying because she loved him, crying because he was gone and crying out of terror that he would never come home again.
OMG i can't believe he didn't say goodbye/see you later to her!! :eek:

:cry:

Poor Syd :(

This is awesome hun :smiley:

Aly..x

:lol: i'm pretty sure she (and maybe a few others) got to read lotsa stuff being lucky enough to be on RF before i realized LOTS of stuff was visible to everyone and not just my betas :lol:

Awwwwwwwwww! lucky!! :P hehehe

spose i'll just have to sulk and wait til tonight when u update (tonight being here in alyland aka aus)

Part 2
“Sydney! We got another letter from Michael!” Amelia called to her the moment Sydney walked in the house. This news elicited a loud groan from her. It wasn’t that she didn’t enjoy hearing from Michael and finding out that he was, in fact, alive and well; she did. There was just something about his letters that irked her, especially since he had yet to mention the events of the night-before-he-left in those letters. This fact led her to two conclusions: either Michael regretted that night and wanted to forget it ever happened or he was too chicken to mention it.

Eight months had passed since the last time Sydney and Michael had seen each other. Her final memory of him was a brief sight of him, his face smashed into the pillow beside hers, from when she had woken up in the middle of the night to roll over. For the first few weeks after that she was furious at him for leaving without so much as a goodbye or even a goodbye note. Then, as her fury faded, sadness sunk in and along with that came the worry -- worry of something terrible happening to him without her having the chance to voice her true feelings to him. True, she could have written them in a letter, but, she couldn’t; it had to be done in person.

The worst part by far (aside from missing Michael) was that Sydney had to deal with her compartmentalized feelings all on her own. Her ‘mother’ Amelia was almost always her confidant, especially when it came to boyfriend-related matters. However, not that time. For some reason she just couldn’t bring herself to tell Amelia what had happened between she and Michael. As far as Amelia knew, they hadn’t uttered a word to each other all night long. Part of Sydney feared that Amelia wouldn’t react well to the situation for she thought that Amelia thought of them as her two children and being romantic would be a disgusting concept for her. Another part of her worried that Amelia wouldn’t want them together, not for that reason, but for another she couldn’t think of. Whatever the case was, Sydney still couldn’t tell her, so she had to keep her feelings to herself.

“Don’t you want to read it?” Amelia asked, holding out the envelope containing Michael’s letter to Sydney the moment she walked in the kitchen.

“In a minute; I’m starving,” she said. She went directly to the refrigerator and began rummaging through, searching for something appetizing.

“How did your interview go?”

“Ugggggh sucked,” she groaned. “First I had to do this aptitude test thingie – basically testing my reading, writing and math – which was fine but then, during the interview part, they asked me all these questions about what I thought about myself and I never know how to answer that felgercarb so I think I blew it,” she said, flopping down at the kitchen table with a carton of yogurt. Then, she let out a whimper as she lowered her head to the table. “I’m never gonna get a job!”

“Of course you are dear,” Amelia said softly as she squeezed Sydney’s hand. “What about that interview you went on last week? The one at the elementary school. I thought they liked you.”

“Well… yeah, but I don’t know if I have the patience to teach first grade. Fifth I can handle, forth would be fine – maybe even third but I think first would kill me,” she said with a sigh.

Amelia laughed softly. “I think you’d be good at first grade,” she said. Sydney raised an eyebrow at her, giving her a ‘What are you, kidding me?’ look. “I’m serious Sydney. I know it sounds foreboding at first but I think you’d do really well.”

“Thanks Amelia,” Sydney smiled at her before turning back to her yogurt.

“Are you going to open this now?” Amelia asked, holding up Michael’s letter.

“You do it; don’t wanna...”

“But it’s addressed to you.”

With her comment, Sydney’s head snapped up. Sydney and Amelia received an average of one real letter a month from Michael along with a few emails a month. All those things, though, were address to ‘Mom and Sydney’; none had ever been addressed to only one of them. Slowly, Sydney reached out for the letter and took it gently in between her fingers. It was clearly addressed to only her in Michael’s sloppy writing. Suddenly, her heartbeat sped up just a little faster. Could that have been the letter she was waiting for? She had thought about their last night together practically every moment of every day for eight months, and the hope that finally he was acknowledging it was almost overwhelming to her.

She gently slid her index finger under the flap of the envelope, popping it open. Inside there was only one single sheet of paper, again a rarity for Michael’s letters; usually they were two pages at minimum due to the infrequency of his writing. She carefully unfolded it and rested it against the table as she began to read.

Sydney,
I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to right this down; I’m afraid I couldn’t quite find the words to say. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying ‘war changes a man’, so had I. I never realized just how true it was, though, until I came here. I don’t regret doing this, though, even though I miss you.

I miss you. I miss you more than I ever thought possible. I miss your smile. I miss your laugh. I miss looking into your beautiful eyes because, no matter how I was feeling, that always made me feel better. I miss the way you’d call me a baby if I ever complained about anything. Mostly, though, I just miss everything about you.

Being over here makes the priorities in life stand high above all else. Over here its life or death; one mistake and that’s it. It makes you realize just how important things are to you because they’re all you can think of at night when you hear the sounds of gunfire around you.

You, Sydney, you are what’s important to me. You’re the most important thing in the world to me and I’m sorry I never told you that. I’m also sorry I never told you how much I love you, because I love you, so much. I’m also sorry I left that morning without waking you up to say goodbye; I regret not doing that. I don’t regret that night, though. It was the best night of my life. It made me realize one thing for sure, without any shadow of doubt.

Sydney I know we’ve never gone out on a date. I know we’ve never talked about there being an ‘us’. I know that we’ve only really kissed one time in twenty-three years, but I don’t care about any of that. I know that even if we had had a million dates or even if I you hadn’t kissed me that night I would still want to be with you forever. I know that even if I search my whole live I’d never find anyone better than you. So, Sydney, my question for you is: Will you marry me?

Don’t send your answer back in a letter, wait until I come home and then I’ll ask you again in person. I hope to be home soon. Give my best to Mom.

I love you,
Michael

Before Sydney had even made her way though the letter, tears were streaming down her face. By the time she reached his proposal, her vision was so blurred that she could barely read. She put the letter down on the table once she was finished reading and reached for a nearby napkin to sob into.

“My goodness, Sydney, are you alright?!” Amelia asked with great concern when she saw Sydney near hysterics. Sydney didn’t answer her and it took her the better part of ten minutes to calm herself to the point of occasional hiccupping sobs. “Are you alright?” Amelia repeated.

Sydney looked up at her wanting to respond in the negative but instead she choked out, “He asked me to marry him.”

Amelia gasped and clutched her hand to her chest as tears burned in her eyes. She tried to take deep breaths to compose herself. For Sydney’s sake, she needed to be objective, though that would be very difficult considering her bias. “Well,” Amelia began quietly a few minutes later. “How do you feel about that?”

“I-I want him to come h-home,” Sydney choked out. “S-so I can say y-yes.”

With that comment, Amelia could hold herself back no longer and she rushed around the kitchen table to give Sydney a tight hug while the two women sobbed. “Is that okay?” Sydney managed a few moments later.

“Oh yes Sydney of course! Of course!! Why would it not be okay?” Amelia asked. Sydney shrugged slightly and Amelia hugged her tighter. “Of course it’s wonderful! But… but how did you two keep this from me? I mean I’d like to think I’m observant enough to notice if you two were dating but…”

“No, no,” Sydney shook her head with a slight laugh. “We were never dating,” she explained. Amelia gave her a confused look. “We weren’t! Our… our first kiss was the night before Michael left,” she explained, purposely leaving out the detail of their other first that evening.

“Oh,” Amelia laughed. She wiped her cheeks dry with the back of her hand and pulled Sydney into another tight hug. “He’ll be home soon.”

“How do you know?”

Amelia gave her a smile. “I just do.”

Sydney I know we’ve never gone out on a date. I know we’ve never talked about there being an ‘us’. I know that we’ve only really kissed one time in twenty-three years, but I don’t care about any of that. I know that even if we had had a million dates or even if I you hadn’t kissed me that night I would still want to be with you forever. I know that even if I search my whole live I’d never find anyone better than you. So, Sydney, my question for you is: Will you marry me?

Don’t send your answer back in a letter, wait until I come home and then I’ll ask you again in person. I hope to be home soon. Give my best to Mom.

I love you,
Michael
WOW didn't expect that one!!! Awesome update :D Can't wait for him to come home :lol:

Back