Firefox 1.0 official version released today!

ivand67

Sydney's Lover
Firefox fans clog Mozilla site, and other news

I think this deserves a new thread...

Mozilla released Firefox 1.0 at 1 AM Pacific time last night, and they're hosting a live 5-hour web event from 2 PM - 7 PM at SpreadFirefox.com.

Finally, no more bugs for everyone using the Preview Release... I also recommend to look at Mozilla Thunderbird, the e-mail client.

If you don't have Firefox 1.0, get it at GetFirefox.com.

It's so much better than Internet Explorer and the majority of browsers, and slightly better than Opera. And it's fast, reliable and easy to use.

Check out the mouse gestures extension, and another one called Tabbrowser Prefererences. There's an ad-banner blocker extension... there's over 150 extensions already, an Amazon.com toolbar, a replacement for the Google toolbar, and of course, Firefox comes with a built-in pop-up blocker.

This browser deserves the promotion... the Mozilla foundation is non-profit and Firefox is open-source, meaning anyone with the right amount of skill and knowledge in programming can try to change it or add features to it.

Switch to Firefox if you haven't already!

I highly HIGHLY suggest anybody switch from IE. If it's to Firefox, then that's awesome.

See sig. Especially if you're in IE. Compliance for PNGs with alpha isn't the only reason to get a new browser, it's just a decent mark of a good page rendering engine. Currently the safest browsers are the same ones that display PNGs correctly, so that's why I made it.

for some reason, when i tried downloading mozilla, nothing happened. like the download was normal but then when i clicked the button to load the browser, nothing happens!

anyone know whats up?

I've been meaning to get the latest version all week, but kept getting busy and forgetting to. I saw your signature, Vesh, and went straight to Mozilla and downloaded the new version. :smiley:

It worked find for me, nance, I wonder why yours didn't work? :blink: Can you try downloading it again?

I love that it checked on my extensions, notifying me that they needed to be updated, then took care of it for me. Not all them were compatible with the new version, but the four I use most often were, so no worries there. :smiley:

I'm on my dad's laptop right now and Mozilla works. In fact, Vesh, I see the complete difference in your sig.

I think my laptop has a virus. YAY. :rolleyes:

I never really knew a whole lot about Firefox till I ran across this thread. I downloaded it to my new laptop and made a copy to put on my old one. And let me tell you what a difference it made...itts so much quicker than IE! Its takes a few minutes to get used to, but you'll definitely come to like it a lot better than IE. ;)

ALiAs_AgEnT_423 said:
I never really knew a whole lot about Firefox till I ran across this thread. I downloaded it to my new laptop and made a copy to put on my old one. And let me tell you what a difference it made...itts so much quicker than IE! Its takes a few minutes to get used to, but you'll definitely come to like it a lot better than IE. ;)
[post="1066895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yes! I can finally say I helped someone convert from IE to Firefox!!!

Get extensions at Loading......

Edit: More Security Hiccups for Internet Explorer...

The self-loving geeks at Microsoft keep saying that their browser is oh so great when responding claims that Firefox is better and that all they really have to do is promote the features of Internet Explorer that people don't know about (which are, well, almost none). The Mozilla foundation is aiming for a 10 percent market share with Firefox by the end of 2005... that's too conservative. I would say that by this time next year, 20 percent of users will be using Firefox.

I listened to you guys and downloaded this. IT'S AWESOME!! Seriously, no pop ups. With IE i got spyware on my comp twice in one month. Had to reinstall windows completly. This browser is so much better than IE. Easy browsing, no pop-ups, no spy/ad-ware. It's worth downloading.

After hearing all the praise for Firefox, I'm giving it a shot.

I've heard a lot about these extensions-just wondering if some Firefox users can give me some recs on the good ones. Or any heads up on using it to the best of its capability. :smiley: Thanks.

Adblock, BugMeNot and Web Developer are the only ones I use for now, but there are other good ones. But like I've said before - stay away from TabBrowser Extension. TBE's a cludgefest.

Hey Vesh, I just looked at this page in IE and noticed the difference in your sig. Cool :P

I'm still on 1.0PR. I was gonna upgrade to 1.0 Final the day after it was released, but it was downloading too slow and I've been too lazy to upgrade since.

On a scale of 1-10, how much is it worth it to upgrade?

I checked at IE and I noticed the difference, too! Interesting...

I do have Mozila Firefox. Should I still update then? :thinking: It doesn't show the blue on Mozila Firefox.

I've been using Firefox for months now and I love it. So much better and safer than IE!

I have version 0.9.2 though, I suppose I should upgrade?

Okay, I DLed it and I like it alot. Only problem-- AllAlias isn't working through Firefox. I can get to the front page of the forums and then it gives the little error window beyond that. Right now I'm using IE. This isn't a big deal, I can just get on IE to come here-- anyone have any ideas, though?

I hope SD-1 works when it comes back!

Update: OK, it's working fine now.

Back