Firefox Critical Security Update 05/03/05

Tim

Creative Writer
my firefox just updated, from mozilla site itself, a critical security update to protect against exploits/hacking

if you have firefox, get it running so it can update. if it doesn't update, look in preferences and check updating option turned on, close and reopen browser, if that doesn't work, go to mozilla homepage

the update keeps your bookmarks, but disables plugins apparently, although mine still appear to be there

i'm seeing people still using the previous version, not updating, seems if you let your kids near the pc and the message comes up (and only once!) to update and the kids close it, the adults unless well informed are not going manually updating it.

My 4 kids and wife will not use the pc unless I'm standing/sitting there.
one wrong click and you're spywared or hijacked if you're not careful. I have Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and Adaware, NAV and Zone Alarm Pro but if you persistantly click the wrong type of ad or open the wrong email they do get in...fixable but why tempt it. I update everything 1x wk. I update active programs 1x @ month.
Click "about" in any program to see the version and then go to the homepage to see what version is available.
I have a folder in my documents that is called 'SoftUpdate' and thats where I keep the latest version downloads. If a program crashes I can reload it pretty quicky.

well, my wife allows our nephews to come round and use the internet, since they don't have it at home.

i removed 5 trojans the other day from her system. she definitely doesn't need to be doing online banking and i've been hammering away at her to change passwords for stuff like ebay frequently due to getting infected all the time.

i've told her she needs to be behind them 24/7 when they use the pc, but 5 kids, their friends, relatives, etc. she'd never get anything done if she had to stand and observe all the time.

the main problem here is schools teaching the kids how to go and do stuff without teaching them security and responsibilities. even i had to go on a windows management course as 2hrs on a windows machine would result in 8hrs to fix it!!!

now i am the one fixing them and it takes me an hour maximum to remove everything from a totally infected machine if i am lucky

well, i frequently am in other peoples pc's, either in person or by using the free software from www.realvnc.com. if a beginner can get the program installed, set a password and get their IP from www.whatismyip.com then i can do all the rest. i can remotely control their pc as if i have my monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to it and by passing messages in messenger or just on their monitor i can get whatever help i need on installed programs to straighten out their system and increase security.

the first things people need to do is make sure they have a firewall, anti-virus and spywware killer. they don't cost money if you get Sygate Firewall, mcafee active scan and Spybot : Search and Destroy

http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

McAfee | Antivirus, Mobile Security and VPN - Download for Free

Tucows | Retiring Tucows Downloads.

when these things are free, easy to install and use, theres no reason why everyone shouldn't be able to secure their pc's

and don't forget if you are using wireless internet capability to install some encryption to avoid people tapping in easily.

i'm very surprised that a 3rd party found the problem considering a similar issue was affecting IE

i've seen firefox v1.0.2 going round in some circles right now, i wonder if yet another security flaw has been found?

in the meantime i am getting plagued with popups recently, i think the gits are starting to program their spyware and popups at firefox users already, the time for firefox to be the "safe" option is coming to a close unfortunately

time to look into alternative browsers that aren't merely a clone of IE and have acceptable plugins for all the features we have learnt to take for granted in our day to day browsing

i am getting plagued with popups recently

I've noticed I get a few pop-ups on one or two sites as well. Not many.

The most recent update was released Wednesday and as quoted it was a MAJOR security flaw.

I hope MS releases that IE7 soon. Makes one wonder if MS has a team working on exploiting FF vulnerabilities,Eh?

time to look into alternative browsers

Browser Statistics

Browser Trends

Browser trends are important information. What you can read from the statistics below is that Internet Explorer 6 is the dominating browser, XP is the most popular operating system, and most users are using a display with 800x600 pixels or more, with a color depth of at least 65K colors

Back