Firefox is the worst browser ever.

F

frostydf2

I want a firefox lover to be able to somehow prove Firefox is better then a browser like Maxthon which uses an IE base.

Get started becuase I hate that browser. It causes more problems then any browser I know of.

I still don't understand the hatred for IE. I am running WinXP SP2 and allow auto-updating and I have zero security problems. No pop-ups unless I want them, and no spyware sneaking into my browser. Its all in the auto-updates.

I love firefox, mozilla, opera and Safari more than any IE based browser. Why?

1. Because I am a professional web developer that needs websites to work with ANY browser and any PC platform, and IE happens to be the worst in that arena.

2. IE allows for execution of arbitrary programs, known as ActiveX components. This is why windowsupdate.microsoft.com only works with IE. ActiveX is explicitly an IE component, unless it is set to run Server-Side, on an IIS server. ActiveX is much like Java except that it can cause your computer to run programs on your computer, and thus, this is the big deal with IE able to obtain computer virus' more frequently than any other browser. ActiveX components cannot run on Macintosh (without the IE browser for Macintosh), nor on any other browser, making website utilizing this to REQUIRE a person to use IE.

3. IE will "close" website html tags, most of the time, in whatever way it thinks it should. For those in the HTML know, forget a </td> and </tr> and save a page, IE will close them and display what looks like a proper webpage, working as intended. Most other browsers will barf, Firefox included. Why? Because the web developer didn't check their work or use an HTML validation tool ( The W3C Markup Validation Service ) or CSS validation tool ( The W3C CSS Validation Service ). I want to see if I forgot to close HTML tags, and I want to know when my website doesn't work.

4. Firefox and other browsers are, for the most part, "Standards Compliant". Web developers need to program to standards in order to ensure their websites look the same no matter which browser they use. Why use standards? WDVL - Mastering the Art of Online Magazine Creation Who's standards? World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and where to get html help? How to Start an Online Business & Make Money Doing It | WebMonkey Internet Explorer is the least standards compliant browser in the world.

5. "It works so why not use it?". I'm not saying don't use IE and use Firefox, I'm saying these are the reasons why I do not.

I am very opinionated when it comes to HTML and Web development. I see web developers creating sites with PHP programming langauge that I can hack in a matter of seconds. Because they don't know how to properly code w/ PHP. I see websites that look like confetti... that is, if I look at a simple website, and there is over 2 million lines of html code to make it display... Those in my end of the web world (my coworkers that I have encountered) refer to it as "MS Frontpage Generated". I have let web developers go from my last job because though they developed nice looking websites, they didn't know how to make them work in all browsers, and create them securely. This is a big deal to people when you're talking multi-million dollar companies, accept perhaps Microsoft ;)

So that's my opinion... I'll be quiet now B)

~ Jaraeth

PS: Validate This

lol I second Jar there

You can't pay me to even develop for IE, I detest it that much. MS can take their "code our way" attitude and ...... I'm a lady, I won't say it.

Ya know, even as someone who knows nothing about the software side of computers (My engineering degree is going towards alternate power and hardware systems, not user end software) I find these discussions really interesting. Please dont stop because you think your rambling Jareth. It actually gives some of us an insight as to the way you programmers think :smiley:

Xhar

Originally posted by Riceman@May 29 2006, 06:50 PM
I love tabs. If IE has tabs, I haven't figured out how to use them. Firefox has tabs. Easy to use.
If you want IE to have tabs, you have to use another "add-on" browser like MyIE (Maxthon), or SimpleBrowser.

I have my Firefox set to always show me the tab bar so I can double click it, or shift-click a link to open a new tab. I usually have about 12 open at a time, esp at work B)

~ Jaraeth

I got a few viruses from IE. Burn your hand on the stove once and you learn to use a microwave. :D

Back