Fishing

Originally posted by Silver001@May 11 2006, 11:51 AM
Fishing, without a Breath of Fire twist, is boring. They would need a decent mini-game for this one.
Blasphemy! Fishing is a MUST, regardless of how boring it is. Besides, I'm a bank fisherman so it's spose to be lazy and boring. Rics just wouldn't be Rics if he couldn't fish. Also a fishing pole is my weapon of choice! I would seriously consider not even playing HJ if they didn't include fishing in some way. Sad to say, but it would really be a make or break issue for me.

Fishing is fun, I'd quite like if it was in HJ. I even liked it in WoW.
But I agree, there should be a fun mini-game involved without getting repetative.

Some new ideas would of course be nice, like use of magic (no, not fireball-fishing :smiley: ), fishing with nets when your skill is high enough and surprises that are not fishy.
For another WoW reference, having a small chance of being swarmed by murlocs would be quite funny. :smiley:

Yea, fishing should definitely be in the game. It's nice when you want to just relax, drink a beer, chat with friends, and fish. No worries about leveling or anything.

I hated those damn murlocs...

Agreed. I hate to fish in RL but I like it as a trade in games.

Let's see....

Lineage 2 has fishing now where you actively work at timing and recognizing changing icons to know what button to push in hopes of catching that gettaway fish. Very interactive. Most interactive I've seen yet. Not easy street.

EQ has the classic hit button, animate casting line. Occasionally toss in cute emote message.. like "You spill your beer while trying to pull in your line." Boring system however.

WoW system isn't too bad, a copy of EQ with the "catch the bobby" twist to it.

Daoc doesn't have fishing... rotten buggers.

EQ2 has fishing but it's actually more boring than EQ live's.

Can't recall if FXII has it.

Anyhow... What I'd love to see...

Choices in fishing.

One style is the laid back hit the button nothing overly exciting happens. Like RL... so Non-interactive you could prob read a book while doing it.

Second style is the more interactive game-in-a-game style, like Lineage2 does it. Requires work to catch that neato fishy.

Perhaps another style... like deep sea fishing. My father used to do that with us way back when. Take the weekend off and hit the Atlantic Ocean for some deep sea fishing. Strap into a chair and try to catch those BIG, hard to reel in mongo fishes or big salmon.

Any styles I'm missing?

I've always found fishing very tedious in the games that I've played. I'm aware that there is a population out there that enjoys it though so it should be included in the game. I don't imagine it would be too hard to implement something like that. Maybe they'll even take some suggestions from players on how to make it more interesting. Who knows, if they can find some new way to make fishing less... repetative, then maybe I'd even take it up as well.

I love fishing. Even if it is as simple as FFXI system of fishing I loved it. I think Zelda : Ocarina of Time had the best fishing mini-game out of any game that invovled RPG. I for one am for this :smiley:

I Really would like it if fishing were incorporated.
And IMHO the wow version of fishing, *yawn*......oh..where was I?
Was boring..at best. A cool little mini game would be nice.

And besides, RICS HAS TO PLAY!! So please, for the love of Rics, PUT FISHING IN!

Originally posted by frostydf2@May 11 2006, 07:18 PM
Zelda : Ocarina of Time had the best fishing mini-game out of any game that invovled RPG.
Oooh I've that game and haven't played it lol will have to get hubby or kids to find the fishing so I can see how it works.

When I go fishing, I expect to battle giant sea creatures everytime. And sometimes catch mermaids for my own personal pleasure. ;)

*pictures that*

Okay I like the idea... you accidently catch a sentient creature of sorts and it promptly lays the beat down on you. Or maybe turns to an old hag and scolds you before jumping back into the water.

Hmmm, I really dont see it fitting in with the feel of the game really. I mean, I thought it was all about being a hero? Not that i hate fishing (like I do crafting!) but I dont see it fitting the whole "hero" thing.

Every hero needs a slow time, when they sit back and ponder their next steps, or what ordeal they just went through. Not to mention, they need to eat don't they? Hehe.

Good point, especially about pondering next steps. I guess I usually envisoin that happening in a tavern or home, but fishing would be a good way to get some "clarity". ;)

*Casts line out*...... *Snag*, "Zomg ftw?!"

Turtlee.jpg

"Turtle!!" *Runs* :lol:

Oh yeah, well...

My view on fishing in a Hero game?

I find that Fable, a wonderful hero game had a pretty decent fishing system.

I often ran around fishing in every little spot I could, it might not fit in the Hero aspect of Hero's Journey, but it would damn well fit in the RP aspect.

Just my own opinion.

Back