Politics Flag-burning

well I'm giving a speech on flag-burning, and, until now, I never realized what a big issue it is. i started this thread so I could see all sides of the conflict. personally I'm all for Flag-burning rights, but i would never do it.

The first amendment protects free speech. If people want to burn the flag, I say let them. It's not doing any real damage and American citizens are allowed to express disatisfaction with the country/government.

Have to quote from the movie The American President here.

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've got to want it bad, because it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil who is standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the 'land of the free'? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the 'land of the free.'"

ms.katejones said:
The first amendment protects free speech. If people want to burn the flag, I say let them. It's not doing any real damage and American citizens are allowed to express disatisfaction with the country/government.
[post="1330053"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Completely agree.

lol. seriously i am using that quote in my speech.:groupwave:
the way i look at it is that by banning flag burning people will protest by burning flags. a guy on c-span did a segment on flag burning where he held up flag boxershorts and a flag napkin, burning those in DC is illegal

mr.sarklover said:
lol. seriously i am using that quote in my speech.:groupwave:
the way i look at it is that by banning flag burning people will protest by burning flags. a guy on c-span did a segment on flag burning where he held up flag boxershorts and a flag napkin, burning those in DC is illegal
[post="1330423"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think making the flag into a pair of underwear is more disrespectful than burning it! :D But really it shouldn't be illegal to burn them, since it is a matter of free speech.

ms.katejones said:
I think making the flag into a pair of underwear is more disrespectful than burning it!  :D  But really it shouldn't be illegal to burn them, since it is a matter of free speech.
[post="1330456"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I agree.

I think it's much more disrespectful to see some of the ways people use the flag (ie on the handles of knives, thongs, boxers...etc). But hey, free speech and to each his own. If you want to show your patriotism by wearing a picture of the flag on your underwear, then more power to you.

And I don't get how burning a napkin or a pair of boxers could be illegal because it has an image on the flag on it...especially since burning the actual flag is legal. Is it illegal to burn boxers or napkins regardless of the picture? (I know that sounds dumb, but that's the only way I can rationalize that law).

Jamison said:
I agree.

I think it's much more disrespectful to see some of the ways people use the flag (ie on the handles of knives, thongs, boxers...etc).  But hey, free speech and to each his own.  If you want to show your patriotism by wearing a picture of the flag on your underwear, then more power to you.

And I don't get how burning a napkin or a pair of boxers could be illegal because it has an image on the flag on it...especially since burning the actual flag is legal.  Is it illegal to burn boxers or napkins regardless of the picture? (I know that sounds dumb, but that's the only way I can rationalize that law).
[post="1330460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Would it be considered arson or is that only buildings? Whatever the case it seems like lighting flags or boxers or ANYTHING on fire is dangerous, so maybe that is the reason.

While I would have to be pushed very fair to burn a flag or an effigey of a politican, I think the quote "I may not agree with him but I will defend his right to say it to the death" is true.

However if it is used to incitate violence and hatred, thats different. Also if its done frivously, burning a flag is a serious protest and not something any one should do lightly.

basically it is not illeagle to burn boxer shorts or napkins, its not arson, unless it is someone elses, then it is destruction of property.
anyway in the law in DC it uses the definetion of flag as

“The term ‘flag of the United States’ as used in this section, shall include any flag, standard colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently to be either of said flag, standard, color, or ensign of the United States of America, or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the
colors, the stars and stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, standards, colors, or ensign of the United States of America.”

basically anything that looks like a flag is illegal to burn. Which is Crazy

the_alliance said:
it's actually illegal to make the American flag into napkins, decorations, clothing, etc.
[post="1330898"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I might be missing the point, and if so correct me...

But, we weren't talking about using the actual American flag to make napkins, undewear, etc (I realize you aren't supposed to cut up a flag). We were talking about the image being used on such things. That can hardly be illegal...just look at the 4th of July, everyone is decked out in their American Flag t-shirts and such.

Actually it is very much illegal. the flag protection act passed in 1989 stated that you cannot use a flag as a form of advertisment. I dont think the Republicans ever got word of this, they yse a flag in all of their symbols. As for pictures...

The term ‘flag of the United States’ as used in this section, shall include any flag, standard colors, ensign, or any picture or representation

It sounds really dumb but when it comes down to it, the only difference between blowing up flag rockets on the 4th and flag burning are the thoughts of the people who do it. :godblessamerica:

mr.sarklover said:
Actually it is very much illegal. the flag protection act passed in 1989 stated that you cannot use a flag as a form of advertisment. I dont think the Republicans ever got word of this, they yse a flag in all of their symbols. As for pictures...

The term ‘flag of the United States’ as used in this section, shall include any flag, standard colors, ensign, or any picture or representation

It sounds really dumb but when it comes down to it, the only difference between blowing up flag rockets on the 4th and flag burning are the thoughts of the people who do it. :godblessamerica:
[post="1331421"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

whoa...that's crazy! Someone better inform Old Navy, they have all of their 4th of July shirts out...

Existentialist said:
Have to quote from the movie The American President here.

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've got to want it bad, because it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil who is standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the 'land of the free'? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the 'land of the free.'"
[post="1330109"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That's a great quote and it's so true.

^^ i totally agree. the two things that make me feel most patriotic are seeing/hearing a stadium full of people singing the national anthem to the flag and seeing people burn that same flag. the respect i have for our country and our flag comes from the rights i have, ie from the right to burn that flag.

m-c

Well, I gave my Debate today and it wasnt looken' good. I resolved that flag-burning is your right. After the first round, which i didnt do to good in, i thought that i was gonna' lose... But I WON. My opponent forgot to repeat her arguments scoring me 1 extra point to win.

Oh thanks for the quote Existentialist for the quote. I used it for my closing statment, teacher said that it was a very strong way to end with attention.

:bounces:

So Lets talk Flag- Burning.

Any more thoughts?

Question: If the government made this a national law: Flag-Burning is illegal.
How would You feel? Would it affect you?

It wouldn't personally effect me...mainly because I don't have any intention of burning the flag.

But it would go against free speech...and burning the flag is a very strong political protest, so I would feel that our rights as Americans would be violated, if such a law were passed.

Back