Politics Flag-burning

You should totally be allowed to burn the flag. I mean if you are so pissed about this country over something, you should have the right to express that. We need to fight for our freedoms with continued vigilence. If we let one thing slide, it could very easily lead to another. And before you know it, we'll be living in a 1984 type society.

I'm disgusted every time I see someone destroy an American flag in this country. It turned my stomach when I was watching the protests and people were destroying others flags (or even their own).

Question: If the government made this a national law: Flag-Burning is illegal.
How would You feel? Would it affect you?
I think they should. I think it should be illegal.

really, people should not be burning flags, because it's attacking a particular nationality. maybe you guys should re-read the AllAlias.com Forum guidelines.

the_alliance said:
really, people should not be burning flags, because it's attacking a particular nationality. maybe you guys should re-read the AllAlias.com Forum guidelines.
[post="1336258"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

But that's the thing about free speech; it doesn't just apply to speech we like. People have the right to attack particular nationalities, including our own. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but it is our constitutional right.

ms.katejones said:
But that's the thing about free speech; it doesn't just apply to speech we like. People have the right to attack particular nationalities, including our own. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but it is our constitutional right.
[post="1336273"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
not according to the forum guidelines. read them. i was suspended for a day because i used my right of free speech.

the_alliance said:
not according to the forum guidelines. read them. i was suspended for a day because i used my right of free speech.
[post="1336277"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well, forums are different because when you sign up you're agreeing to follow the rules. I meant that the government couldn't outlaw flag-burning, since free speech is in the constitution.

As far as forum rules. I have read them. This topic was not started in order to attack any member or person living or from the United States. This topic was started so that people can express their opinions on a very controversial issue, flag-burning. like i said this topic is open to all opinions.

the_alliance, like you, i dont like and will never flag-burn. On the other hand i will fight for flag-burning rights because of freedom of speech.

In my speech and debate class my teacher stresses upon the class to think about the other side of the argument.

For those who agree with flag-burning, think about the arguments and reasons of those who do not agree with flag-burning. And Vice Versa.

Remember to respect everybodys reasoning.
:love:

the_alliance said:
[post="1336277"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

This is completely irrelevant, and you are posting this because you are angry about getting suspended.

When you joined this board you join under the agreement that you will follow the rules...obviously you didn't, and because of this got suspended, which has nothing to do with burning a flag.

It is our constitutional right to be able to burn a flag. We may not like it...but it is our right. I can see why it would upset people, but the majority of the time people do it as a very strong form of protest over things our government has done. It gets your attention.

ms.katejones said:
Well, forums are different because when you sign up you're agreeing to follow the rules. I meant that the government couldn't outlaw flag-burning, since free speech is in the constitution.
[post="1336300"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
never mind, the irony seems to be lost on some people.

Your freedom of speech rights allow you to create your own post on your own website on your own server insulting any nationality or group you wish.

Many communities, such as schools and workplaces, restrict freedom of speech in order to create an environment in which all feel comfortable and welcome. We are one such community.

xinli11 said:
You should totally be allowed to burn the flag.  I mean if you are so pissed about this country over something, you should have the right to express that.  We need to fight for our freedoms with continued vigilence.  If we let one thing slide, it could very easily lead to another.  And before you know it, we'll be living in a 1984 type society.
[post="1335492"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i totally agree. btw (just a plug for my fan fic), if you would like to read a fan fic about that (1984-esque society) please post a comment in my topic that i started in the fiction lounge. i am finishing my current fan fic and need ideas. thanks.

Personally I think burning a flag is one of the most American things you could ever do. It's not to my taste personally, but before America was formed, where else could you burn your country's flag or call your country's leader an idiot and not get your head cut off? What better way to put freedom of speech into action than burning a flag. It's so extreme and so disrespectful, yet we're allowed to do it. That's freedom. People who want to ban burning flags are calling the burners un-American, but the burners are simply exercising their rights as detailed in the Constitution. The others are trying to curb the First Ammendment. Who's more "un-american?"

i really don't know. freedom of speech covers talking, not neccessarily flag burning. it's extremely disrespectful to your country, just like you should never let the flag touch the ground. and i think that there are better ways to show that you're unhappy with your government. coz all i see in people who are flagburning are people who don't like America, not people who are mad at a certain law being made, or a certain senetor, congressman, etc. but should there be a law against it? i don't think so, but i still don't think that it should be done.

Osiris said:
i really don't know.  freedom of speech covers talking, not neccessarily flag burning.  it's extremely disrespectful to your country, just like you should never let the flag touch the ground.  and i think that there are better ways to show that you're unhappy with your government.  coz all i see in people who are flagburning are people who don't like America, not people who are mad at a certain law being made, or a certain senetor, congressman, etc.  but should there be a law against it?  i don't think so, but i still don't think that it should be done.
[post="1344672"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

There are people who do burn a flag in protest to laws being passed or how the government is behaving. It is a way for them to show their extreme disgust with something...and they are exercising a right that is very American.

Jamison said:
There are people who do burn a flag in protest to laws being passed or how the government is behaving.  It is a way for them to show their extreme disgust with something...and they are exercising a right that is very American.
[post="1345015"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly! This is kind of like how people who are speaking out against this administration are being called unpatriotic. If no one spoke out against their government the United States wouldn't exist!

noggi16 said:
What about burning the flag of another country. It is very hurtful when I see my flag or effigeys being burnt in other countries.
[post="1345677"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Sadly, seeing my flag burned in other countries doesn't phase me anymore, since it's so common. My uncle lived in Indonesia and saw American flags burned almost every day.

I'm not sure about the laws over here, but I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to burn the flag of another country.

Osiris said:
i really don't know.  freedom of speech covers talking, not neccessarily flag burning.  it's extremely disrespectful to your country, just like you should never let the flag touch the ground.  and i think that there are better ways to show that you're unhappy with your government.  coz all i see in people who are flagburning are people who don't like America, not people who are mad at a certain law being made, or a certain senetor, congressman, etc.  but should there be a law against it?  i don't think so, but i still don't think that it should be done.
[post="1344672"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I somewhat agree. I don't like to see the flag burned, but the fact that we're allowed to burn it is comforting to me.

So I was researching the question Jamison asked about whether or not we're allowed to burn other countries' flags, and I didn't find the answer, but I found a FAQ page on the CFA website and another website representing the other side of the issue. They both have some interesting things to read about flag burning.

CFA

"The Flag Burning Page"

And I also found this on an online encycolpedia:
The Flag of the United States is a often used in symbolic defacement, often in protest of the policies of the American government, both within the country and abroad.

Defacing a flag is an act of protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, as established in the 1989 case Texas v. Johnson, and reaffirmed in 1990 in United States v. Eichman. Since that time, several "flag burning" amendments to the Constitution have been proposed, but none have passed Congress.

The U.S. Flag Act lists many guidelines for the use and display of the flag, many of which are largely ignored. For example:

"No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform"
The flag "should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper".
This distresses some traditionalists that feel the flag should be treated with the utmost respect.

The ritualized burning of the American flag is considered an appropriate way to dispose of a damaged or soiled flag. According to The Flag Burning Page (The Flag-Burning Page), "the American Legion and Boy Scouts burn thousands of flags every year in respectful retirement ceremonies".

Back