Politics Flag-burning

I searched as well, and couldn't answer whether we're allowed to burn other country's flags.

That article is interesting. I personally find it more disrespectful to find knife holders with the flag on it, bandanas with it, and thongs. That to me shows greater disrespect...but hey, that's just me.

Personally things like that don't bother me. The flag is just a symbol. The things that need to be respected are the laws and freedom's our country has laid out to protect us and grant us some human rights. The flag's important, but I don't get bent out of shape if I see someone mistreating it. That's their choice. It's when I see the justice system being misused or people trying to garble the Constitution, etc. that I get upset.

[quote name='Queen Anne's Lace' date='May 18 2005, 05:00 PM']Personally things like that don't bother me. The flag is just a symbol. The things that need to be respected are the laws and freedom's our country has laid out to protect us and grant us some human rights. The flag's important, but I don't get bent out of shape if I see someone mistreating it. That's their choice. It's when I see the justice system being misused or people trying to garble the Constitution, etc. that I get upset.
[post="1345952"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
[/quote]

I don't get too worked up over it either (I live in North Carolina...I can't get worked up over it...the American flag and Confederate flag are pretty much plastered everywhere you can imagine). I just think that if we're talking about disrespect then they way people wear the flag or how they use the flag in certain symbols and such is more disrespectful than someone burning it.

Jamison said:
I searched as well, and couldn't answer whether we're allowed to burn other country's flags.
[post="1345894"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
why on earth wouldn't we be allowed to burn other countries' flags. it's free speech no matter whose flag it is

xdancer said:
why on earth wouldn't we be allowed to burn other countries' flags. it's free speech no matter whose flag it is
[post="1346299"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The only reason I said that was because I wasn't sure and wanted to be sure of an answer instead of posting nonsense (like people all too often do).

The reason I was unsure is because I was almost certain I had heard about a case where someone was arrested for burning another country's flag out of protest.

After looking and not finding what I was looking for, I still believe I heard about it, but it's obvious there were other charges that caused the arrest, and not the flag burning aspect (the protest probably got violent).

Still, I'm glad I didn't post a definite answer until I checked and was sure.

Back