Foodies Foods that are better as Leftovers

Tom

An Old Friend
I'm not much for eating leftover foods. I either give them to my kids or hand them out to the neighbors.
I love to cook and my portioning skills are much to be desired. In other words, I cook a lot of food at once.

Tonight I am having leftovers. There are only a few foods that I truly enjoy eating on a reheat. I'm curious if any of you are particular about eating leftovers? If so, what will you eat and what won't you reheat.

Recently I read on Pinterest how to reheat BBQ - I had no idea it could be so good on second chow.

Mostly any soups or stews hold up well for leftovers. Chili seems to get better each time it is reheated as well as Chicken & Dumplings.
I made some French Onion soup once that was fantastic but reheated it tasted yuckky.

Tonight I am reheating Creole Meatloaf and Scallop Potatoes. Those are really good second time and meatloaf is even good cold on a sammich.

I like cold chicken too but when it is warmed up I don't really care for it. Except hot wings - those are good reheated.

Ham is good as a cold sammich and fried up with eggs.
Turkey is okay warmed up but better as a cold sammich.
Lamb is terrible reheated and cold but fabulous the first time.
Eggs are awful reheated but cold as an egg salad or deviled or pickled they are great.
French fries are yukky reheated and cold.
Fried fish is yukky reheated and cold unless it has been dried with seasonings
Reheated Steak is really good if it is done right.
Ribs have to be reheated and are terrible cold
I hate reheating coffee
Rice A Roni with beef or chicken is okay if reheated in a burrito
Egg noodles are nasty reheated
Reheated mashed potatoes are nasty unless they are fried into potato cakes
I don't like hot dogs at all but red hots can be reheated in a burrito with cheese and that is good
I don't like reheated gravy - cold gravy just looks too nasty to consider eating it
I won't eat many leftover veggies - I don't care for soggy veggies mine have to have a bit of a crisp bite.

I freeze a lot of my soups and stews and they reheat great.

I hasn't had much luck with reheating anything with cabbage.

most Chinese seems okay reheated (beef/broccoli etc). rice tends to dry so I usually refry wi a pat of butter.

pizza doesn't reheat too well. works better if it's just warmed up; if it gets hot it's like eating cracker.

I reheated a muffelatta in the microwave with a saucer of water in there with it and it was perfect. I've found that bread products in the microwave reheat better if you wrap them in a wet paper towel.
Agreed, cabbage is nasty reheated but seasoned saurkraut is really good - just don't over-reheat it.

most Chinese seems okay reheated (beef/broccoli etc). rice tends to dry so I usually refry wi a pat of butter.
For reheating fried rice I stick a little soy sauce in the container & partially cover it so that the soy sauce steams and gets the rice moist. Usually works out but sometimes if you put too much soy in it can be a bit of a flavor overkill.

Creole Meatloaf
I'm not sure if I've come across "Creole Meatloaf" before; how is it prepared to make it Creole style? And, yes, now I'm thinking about some nice meatloaf chilled in the 'fridge overnight for some nice sandwiches (soft white bread with some mayo & cheap yellow mustard and a little seasoning salt sprinkled on top.... :hungry:).

Turkey is okay warmed up but better as a cold sammich.
I have yet to master getting turkey reheated for use as a platter. For us leftover turkey always ends up being either turned into turkey salad sandwiches or made into hot turkey & gravy sandwiches.

I'm not sure if I've come across "Creole Meatloaf" before
cajuncountrysjp.jpg
Creole Meatloaf Mix

Amazon.com : 2pk Cajun Country Creole Meatloaf Seasoning MIX 1.75oz, Louisiana Flavor in Every Pack. ALL Natural No Msg. : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1/2 pound sausage
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons prepared mustard or Creole mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cyanne pepper (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of blackened seasons (optional)
  • 1/2 cup chili sauce for topping

Back