For Better or Worse

Excellent update! :smiley:

I think that they should trade off on who deals with Henry at night so that one of them can get a full night of sleep. :smiley:

Chapter 4
Sydney’s breakdown in Henry’s room was really just the beginning of a downward spiral that would leave her so far below ground she could no longer see sun light. At least once daily she would break down in tears from pure exhaustion. Often times, she had to excuse herself to the bathroom at work to do this, so that her coworkers would not question her sanity, even if she was questioning it herself.

By the middle of the next week, she knew something drastic had to be done or she would be pushed so far over the edge she would no longer be able to climb back. She decided the best thing to do would be to go away for the weekend to a hotel. There, she would do nothing but sleep for two days straight. Though it was not much, it would definitely be a help to start a week fresh and rested instead of continuing on in her exhausted state.

She debated for a while on where exactly to go, until she remembered the hotel she and Michael went to in celebration of their fifth wedding anniversary. They had found out only weeks earlier that Sydney was pregnant with Henry; at that time they could not have been happier with their lives. Sydney hoped that by going back there, she would be remind of that happier time and, hopefully, it would brighten her mood.

After making the reservations during her lunch break, Sydney knew that when she arrived home she would have to inform her husband of her impromptu vacation from the real world. She was slightly concerned about his reaction, but she knew she had to go no matter what he said; she was running out of choices.

“Hey, so, um, you remember The Lakeside Inn from a few years back?” Sydney asked softly while the two of them washed dishes together after dinner that evening.

Michael flashed her a smile. “Yeah, our fifth anniversary; that was a great week.”

“It was,” she smiled as well. “I, um, made reservations for a room there this weekend,” she said cautiously. Michael gave her a surprised and yet very confused look. “Yeah I just…I need to sleep, Michael. I have never needed sleep this badly in my whole life,” she sighed, rubbing her brow, “and I just…I have to get away or I’m going to lose it, you know? So…so do you think you’ll be alright with Henry? I mean if not I could totally stay,” she backtracked. As much as she needed to get away, she did not want to leave Michael high and dry, especially when he was equally as tired as she. She was not concerned about his parenting skills though; two years earlier, she had been away for a whole week on a business trip and both her husband and son were perfectly fine in that time, though she suspected Michael had a significant amount of help from his mother.

“Oh, um,” Michael hedged, taking half a step back from his wife. “You…you’re going alone?” he said in a questioning manner. He was completely stunned that she would be going away with out him. If she was doing that, could there be something she was not telling him about? He wasn’t sure, but the mere thought of it was causing his chest to constrict painfully.

“Well, um… its not that I want to be away from you its just I need sleep Michael – sleep,” she emphasized to him, trying to make it perfectly clear that if he went with her their weekend would not be that of a romantic getaway as it had been the last time they were at The Lakeside Inn.

“Right, yeah, I totally get it,” he said, his tone indicating mild offense, though he was trying to brush it off as nothing. “You just go then…sleep.”

“Michael,” Sydney sighed, beginning to feel terrible about having upset him. “I didn’t mean…it’s not that I don’t want you to come, I just wasn’t thinking about…I mean, I don’t want to burden our parents with Henry’s issues and-”

“No it’s fine; I get it…it’s fine,” he said simply, even though the word ‘fine’ had come out a bit harsher than he meant it too. With that comment, he tossed down the towel he had been using to dry the dishes and walked out of the kitchen, leaving Sydney riddled with guilt behind him.

As the evening progressed and Michael gave Sydney the silent treatment, her guilt only deepened. As she was helping her son into his p.j.’s she reviewed their conversation in her mind, and realized that she should have invited him along with her, even if she had intended to spend the weekend alone. After all, Michael was just as sleep deprived as she and it was unfair for her to get a full weekend of sleep while he got hardly any. With her gone, he could not even take a mid-afternoon nap while she spent time with Henry. With these thoughts in her mind, she went downstairs intent on remedying the situation.

“Michael I want you to come with me this weekend… I mean, will you come? Please? I didn’t want to make it seem like I wanted to be apart from you,” she said as she sat beside him on the couch.

“It’s fine,” he said, not looking away from the newspaper in his hands. “Henry and I will just have a guy’s weekend. We’ll go to the park, toss a ball around, and maybe grill outside before it gets too cold. It’ll be nice.”

“Are you sure?” Sydney asked. Michael looked over and gave her a rather forced smile along with a nod. Sydney smiled back at him, leaned over and gave him a quick kiss. As she walked away, she tried to convince herself that it was a good thing for her and Michael to spend time apart. After all, it was healthy for couples to do just that. Michael and Henry would have a wonderful guys’ weekend while she caught up on some sleep. Then, on Sunday when she came home, they would talk about how wonderful their weekends were and they would start the week fresh. That’s what she tried to convince herself of, anyway; the only problem was deep down she truly did not believe it.

Michael and Henry would have a wonderful guys’ weekend while she caught up on some sleep. Then, on Sunday when she came home, they would talk about how wonderful their weekends were and they would start the week fresh. That’s what she tried to convince herself of, anyway; the only problem was deep down she truly did not believe it.

I don't think the weekend will turn out that way quite yet :thinking:

I hope Vaughn doesn't think that she's having an affair... that would be really bad and would only aggravate their problems *sigh*

Yeah this weekend plan of hers isn't going to turn out that great at all. Hopefully it doesn't go as bad as I think it can, but more angst is coming for sure.
Great update

Well, up until now Sydney and Michael didn't have marital problems. But now they're beginning too. From Michael's POV the worst case scenario is that she's having an affair, the best case scenario is that he sees Sydney as believing her getting sleep is more important than him.

The thing is, Sydney has really hurt Michael with her decision.

Chris

Seems to me like she being kinda selfish.
Vaughn is going through just a much as she is and needs a break too.
What she should have suggested is a weekend for the both of them....together

Dang its only getting worse, and I bet we haven't hit rock bottom yet. Syd & Vaughn should be going on this trip TOGETHER! I hope vaughn doesn't think she is having an affair or that she meets a guy friend on this trip. Syd needs to start facing reality and stop being selfish.

Can't Henry wear like a nappy or something? Or have they tried that :thinking:

I hope Vaughn doesn't think she's having an affair.

i think making their son wear a diaper at the age of 7 might be a little bit more traumatizing than the bed wetting... but.. who konws

It's starting, the first break down was only the beginning.

I think that Michael suspecting of an affair is such a typical reaction, I liked it. Although, if he really thinks about it... how would she have the time and the energy to have an affair? The woman is on the verge of collapsing all the time. :P

Can't wait for more.

Chapter 5
On Friday morning, Sydney said goodbye to her husband and son before she left the house. She would be leaving directly from the office to drive forty-five minutes to the inn, which, as its name suggested, was beside a beautiful lake. She made Henry promise to be a good boy before kissing her husband goodbye and leaving with her luggage bag over her shoulder.

Sydney was surprised how quickly that Friday passed by. She expected it to drag on and on until four o’clock when she was leaving for the weekend, but it actually went by very quickly. That was probably because she was most awake on that day of all the week days, anticipating the long weekend of sleep she had ahead of her.

As she drove, Sydney’s mind drifted back, not only to the first time she and Michael went to The Lakeside Inn, but throughout their whole relationship as well. She thought about the good times and bad times, which were far outweighed by the good. Most of all, though, she thought about how much she still loved her husband fifteen years later.

Sydney and Michael first bumped into each other during their spring break from their final semester of college during their senior year. He was twenty-two, she was a few weeks shy of that same milestone, and the two of them were spending their spring break in London on an exchange program. They were from different schools in two different states, yet they both were attending the exact same program abroad.

The two undergrads met their very first night in the foreign city; they were seated beside each other at the welcoming dinner. Naturally, they struck up a conversation and quickly found that, to their amusement, they graduated the same year from the same high school yet never knew one another. Then again, their class had nearly one thousand students, so it was understandable that they never before crossed paths.

For the remainder of their week there, they bonded, walking side by side on almost every outing they went on. Two days before they were to return home, they shared their first kiss while riding on the London Eye, a large observational wheel that allowed them to view the entire city in all its glory. It was then they giggled and made their relationship official, completely unaware at that moment they would eventually marry one another.

Back home in the United States, they still had eight more weeks of school to complete, which was not easy at all with their brand new relationship. For the most part, they were not able to see each other at all; they relied on email, instant messenger and phone conversations to get to know one another. However, they were able to see each other very briefly over Easter break since their homes were, ironically, located within just a mile of one another.

Once they graduated, the two of them decided to move back to their home town to give their relationship a real shot. They found jobs related to their fields of study (marketing for her, finance for him) and began dating regularly. Within just a few weeks, they realized their relationship was truly something special and rare. In the past, they had only dated casually, so a serious relationship was a change for them, but they were both willing to make it work knowing how much of a connection they had.

By their one year anniversary, they knew that their relationship would lead to marriage. Michael even brought up the subject, and they discussed it, both agreeing that it was definitely in their future. A few months later, it was official, and they were thrilled, along with their families.

The two of them decided not to get married right away, and ended up waiting until they were twenty-five before tying the knot. The first few months of their marriage were difficult with moving in together, adjusting to married life, and Michael starting a new job. Once they fell into an even pattern, though, things went perfectly and only got better and better as their time together passed.

As a whole, their marriage had been on the more perfect side of things. It was only when Henry’s bedwetting began that their relationship, along with their whole lives, started to take a turn. Even still, they were not fighting between themselves, or nitpicking about each other’s habits; they were just exhausted, too exhausted to even kiss one another goodnight most of the time.

With these thoughts floating through her mind, Sydney once again began to regret how she had handled the whole weekend away situation. She should have invited Michael along with her, but it was too late to change things now. Perhaps the two of them could have a weekend away the next weekend, or the one after that. Then again, maybe they didn’t even need to have a weekend away; perhaps Henry just needed to spend a night with each of his grandparents to give his parents a break.

By the time Sydney arrived at the inn, it was already dark outside. She had hoped to take in the lake’s scenery, especially since the tree leaves were beginning to turn brilliant colors, but she would have to do that the following day. For that evening, all she was going to do was relax, hopefully with a nice soothing bubble bath.

Once settled into her room, she picked up her cell phone and gave her husband a call. The two of them chatted for only fifteen minutes, during which Michael informed her that he and Henry were doing perfectly fine. Sydney also spoke with Henry for a few minutes before hanging up after telling them both that she loved them. Then, she went into the bathroom and cranked on the water as hot as she could stand it.

Her soak in the perfect temperature water soothed her aching muscles. It even succeeded in removing the permanent cramp in her neck from spending hours at her desk, which did not live up to ergonomic standards. Once all her fingers and toes were shriveled up and waterlogged, she got out of the tub, wrapped herself up in a fluffy white towel and finished getting ready for bed. Though it was barely after eight o’clock when her head hit the pillow, Sydney fell asleep almost immediately; the bath was perfect preparation for a long awaited uninterrupted night of slumber.

What Syd doesn't realize is that while they are fighting between themselves, the lack of affection and quality alone time can be just as bad.
Great update

It's nice to know how they met. We automatically start caring more about them as a couple.
I'm excited about this. Have I told you that it's my favourite thing when Sydney and Vaughn fight? :P

Back