For Better or Worse

SkyGirl5

Cadet
Hey guys...
jeez we got a brand new board here.. or rather an updated board. Not quite sure how to use all this stuff but i guess i'll figure it out soon enough :lol:

anyway, new fic as promised. I will be updating daily as usual except for tomorrow (Thursday). The next update for this fic will be Friday morning, but after that it will be daily barring any internet/computer issues, of course.

Title: For Better or Worse
Genre: s/v au family angst
Summary: Marriage is not always perfect and Sydney and Michael Vaughn know that better than anybody. Years of perfection in their marriage are followed by a few consecutive speed bumps that will challenge their desire to be together, but, in the end, they might just become closer than ever before. [24 Chapters]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 (below) Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8
Chapter 9 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15
Chapter 16 - 20 Chapter 21 Chapter 23 Chapter 24 + Epilogue

Chapter 1
“Mommy?” seven-year-old Henry questioned in a sleepy voice. Rubbing his eyes with his fists, he shuffled further into his parent’s bedroom. At two fifty-five am, sounds of deep breathing from both of the bed’s occupants could be heard. Henry shuffled his way around to the side of the bed furthest from the entry way before stopping right beside the mattress edge. “Mommy?” he said a bit louder that time. “Mommy I wet the bed.” He hugged himself tightly and rocked back onto his heels as he waited for a response.

Sounds of groans and the bed squeaking filled the room as the parents stirred to their son’s needs. While his mother grumbled incoherently, Henry’s father, Michael, slowly sat up in bed. “C’mere buddy; I got it,” he said. Yawning, he reached out for his son’s hand, grasped it, and led the way to the bathroom down the hall. He rid Henry of his dirty pajamas before crossing the hall into Henry’s room to find clean ones. Once Henry was changing, Michael stripped the bed sheets before taking the whole bundle downstairs and dumping it into the washing machine.

By the time Michael arrived back upstairs, Henry was already laying down in his auxiliary bed right beside his regular, sheetless one. Michael tossed a blanket over him and kissed his head before returning to his own room to attempt to fall back asleep. This was a routine that, unfortunately, he was very familiar with.

The Vaughn family consisting of Michael, his wife, Sydney, and of course their son, had perhaps only a handful of full nights sleep in the previous two and a half months, ever since Henry began wetting the bed after years of being accident free. Neither Sydney nor Michael knew the cause of their son’s troubles; frankly, they were too exhausted to think about it. All they knew was that any attempt they had made to remedy the situation had failed, and they were all quickly becoming very discouraged, most of all Henry.

It all started one warm summer night completely out of the blue. Henry shuffled his way into his parents’ room like he always did and told them what happened. They were not angry at all, figuring it was a fluke incident; Henry was just over tired from their long trip to the zoo. That’s what they thought, of course, until it happened the next night, and the next, and the next.

Both parents researched the situation at length on the internet. They tried various remedies including making sure Henry drank very little in the hours before going to sleep. As long as they restricted his liquids, Henry usually made it through the night alright. However, that brought upon other problems including tantrums when he wanted a drink and neither parent would appease his request.

Nearly three months later, sleep deprived and worn out, Sydney and Michael were nearing the end of their rope. With school staring up once more, they hoped the problem would go away, but no change occurred at all. If anything, it became worse. Henry was afraid his friends would find out about his problem so he dreaded going to school. That, of course, became another battle the two parents had to face and with both of them working full time they were wearing very thin very quickly.

As usual, when the alarm clock beside his bed began ringing at six am on the dot, Michael felt as though his head had just hit the pillow only moments earlier. He smacked it off, but did not move otherwise for a moment, wishing time could reverse. Finally he sat up, knowing he would be late if he waited any longer.

When he emerged from the shower, towel wrapped snugly around his waist, Michael found his wife brushing her teeth, looking even sleeper than he felt. He managed to kiss her forehead rather sloppily and she grunted at him, acknowledging his lack-luster good morning. Michael gave her a half smile via his reflection in the mirror before disappearing into his closet to find something to wear.

The husband and wife duo made their way through the getting ready process with ease; it was a routine they had perfected during their twelve years of marriage, all but one of which they were getting ready at the exact same time. By six forty-five they were both completely ready and downstairs in their kitchen, gulping down caffeinated coffee as quickly as the hot liquid would allow them without burning their mouths.

As Michael went upstairs to wake their son, Sydney shuffled her way into the laundry room to deal with the mess that had been created overnight. She made sure all the items in need of washing were in the machine before pouring in the soap with a heavy sigh. Doing laundry for three while working full time took up a significant amount of time as it was, even if most of her suits and Michael’s were dry cleaned, but because of Henry’s little problem, she was forced to run the washing machine daily, which ate into even more of the little relaxation time she had.

Upstairs, Michael crouched down beside the air mattress his son was sleeping on and gently shook him awake. A month earlier, they had come up with the idea for using the air mattress. Up until that point, they had been remaking Henry’s bed each night after his accident. This took up to half an hour, which drastically cut into their sleeping time. After purchasing the plastic air mattress, Henry would simply curl up on that to sleep the remainder of the night, which was easier on all of them, especially since it meant getting back to sleep quicker.

“Wake up buddy,” Michael coaxed his blond haired son. At the sound of his father’s voice, Henry stirred and began rubbing his eyes. Michael made sure to place his son’s clothes atop the still sheetless bed before leaving the room so he could get ready.

Down in the kitchen, Sydney was finishing packing Henry’s lunch as well as her own. She left Henry’s lunch on the counter in his blue lunch bag, while she crammed her own food filled paper bag into her briefcase. Then, she turned to her husband and spoke the first words of the morning. “Do you need anything? Because I have that presentation…”

“I’m fine,” he assured her. “Go ahead and good luck.”

“Thanks,” she said softly. She shouldered her briefcase and picked up her purse before exiting the kitchen quickly and slamming the door to the garage behind her. Michael sighed in her direction, shaking his head slightly. Things were not going well, and unfortunately he did not know a way to fix them.

kind of a strange begining i admit, but go with me :P
again, next update is on friday

My Aunt and Uncle have the same problems with both their boys. It's psychological and it gets gradually worse because the more they're afraid they're going to wet their beds, the more they do it. It's also not good for the kids' self-esteem.

Yep, the bed wetting is caused by anxiety. Henry knows there is problems between his parents and his anxiety about that is causing the bed wetting. Unfortunately, Sydney and Michael don't know that.

Chris

Well looks like Mr and Mrs Vaughn got in some hard routine, just living together but not acknowledging...

What's what routine can do...

it's hard to say what Henry's problem is. Wetting the bed for a boy at the age of 7 could be due to many causes... Danny used to do it too overnight when he turned 6. Six months later (after many testing and god knows!!!!!!!) it was all over... figures :rolleyes:

Anyway... since the couple doesn't seem to working properly this could be a reason... ;)

Wonder what it really is... and please fix it!!!!!!!!!! I don't like SV being mad at each other :D

YAYNESS :groupwave: for another SV+child fic :rolleyes:

Love you :cheekkiss:

Scaringly, that sounds like my husband and I and our two kids. :smiley:

We talk a little more in the morning, but the routine is the same... luckily we are happy :smiley:

Love the start. :smiley:

Ohh !!! poor henry , i hope that they´ll find out what´s causing this to him .
I wonder what is going on with syd and vaughn too ?

i can´t wait for more ,

Nanda 🐕

hmm... i was thinking maybe there could be large disaster looming on the horizon cause Henry's bed wetting is some stomach problem like failing kidneys or something (who knows? not me) and maybe him being hospitalized and all that brings the family closer? eh, i'm just thinking out loud lol you said speed bumps... :P

Sorry, I haven't been able to leave replies.
I also won't have a chance to leave proper replies for a little while.
Just know that I am reading, I just can't leave a proper reply.

Thanks

well i thank the 16 of you who bothered to reply
that is a very sad number, but i suppose its better than zero

Chapter 2
By mid-afternoon Sydney was utterly exhausted, as would be expected of a person who only managed to catch a few hours of sleep with interruption in between. Unfortunately for her, just around the time she felt as though she could not hold her eyes open a moment longer, it was two pm; time for her presentation. By gulping down a few gallons of coffee, she was able to feel reasonably awake (albeit a little shaky) to do her presentation.

When it was over, she collapsed at her desk, wishing she could take an hour long nap before getting back to work. Sadly, she could not, and it was back to the grind for her; however, she could not be as productive as she hoped. Her marketing related job usually required a great deal of creativity, which was extraordinarily difficult to muse about especially since the only thing on her brain at that moment was fluffy white sheets on a gloriously soft mattress.

For months at work, her brain had been preoccupied with that illustrious dream state. Her whole body was craving it and she truly was not sure how much more time she could go without it. Sadly, there was no wonderful full night of sleep in sight and she was getting to the point where frustration overtook the solution thought process. She loved her son dearly, as any mother would, but she was beginning to not like him very much for something that was completely not his fault. For that, she hated herself.

When she arrived home, by that point a mere shell going through the motions, she found her husband spreading containers full of take out dinner onto various dinner plates. Without sleep, any thoughts of a home cooked meal immediately vanished from their minds. When Michael smiled to her, Sydney grumbled a hello to him before going upstairs to change out of her work attire.

Putting on her pajamas was almost a cruel joke; it would be hours yet before her head hit the pillow, but she was too exhausted to find other comfortable clothes. On her way back down to the kitchen, she walked through the laundry room and moved Henry’s now clean bedding and pajamas to the dryer. Then, she shuffled her way towards the dinner table, where she collapsed down into a chair. “Hey honey, how was school?” she asked her son, who was sitting across from her patiently waiting for his dinner.

“Alright,” he sighed. “We’re still doing spelling.”

“Good,” she smiled at him. Just then, Michael brought over their meals and they all began to eat in relative silence.

Since Michael almost always arrived home from work before his wife (mostly because his job was located only ten minutes from their home compared to Sydney’s forty minute commute), he had the task of picking up their son from after school care as well as starting their dinner. Michael usually did mot mind, though; of the two of them his kitchen skills were far better. Not to mention, he actually enjoyed the task whereas Sydney found it a labor. Once Henry’s problems began, though, they mutually agreed to forgo home coming for take-out, which was much easier on the both of them. They still made home cooked meals over the weekend when there was more time, but leftovers usually only lasted until Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

“How was your presentation?” Michael questioned his wife as they ate.

“Good,” she responded with a half smile. “It looks like the company is going to use my idea.”

“That’s great,” he grinned at her.

“Good job Mommy!” Henry chimed in.

“Thank you sweetie,” she smiled at him.

Once they were finished eating, Henry left the table immediately and Michael helped his wife clear the table. “I’ll do them,” Sydney said, referring to the dirty dishes. “You go make sure he does his homework and take this to him,” she handed her husband Henry’s half full juice cup. “Tell him to drink it now if he wants, but he can’t have anymore this evening; we have to sleep tonight,” she told him seriously. Michael nodded wearily in agreement, took the cup and then disappeared into the other room.

After putting the dishes in the dishwasher, Sydney retrieved Henry’s things from the dryer. She went upstairs, folded his pajamas and put them away with the rest of his clothes. Then, she made the bed with great care, making sure the plastic sheeting protecting Henry’s mattress was perfectly in place. Once finished, she went back downstairs to curl up beside her husband on the couch.

“Mommy I’m thirsty. Can I have drink please?” Henry asked as he was fighting his way into his pajamas later that evening.

“I’m sorry honey, you can’t. Why don’t you just go to bed; you’ll forget about it soon,” Sydney told him as kindly as possibly.

“But I want a drink!” Henry protested.

“I’m sorry Henry, but you can’t have one. Now please get into bed so I can tuck you in,” Sydney said, her weariness beginning to show in the sound of her hoarse voice.

Henry jumped up on his bed and started bouncing up and down. “But I want a drink!” he whined.

“Henry!” Sydney snapped. “Stop jumping on your bed right now!”

Henry landed on his knees on the mattress. “But I want a drink!”

“No,” Sydney said firmly. “Now, get yourself in bed and I’ll be back in five minutes to tuck you in – five minutes!” she repeated before walking out of the room. As she walked away, she could hear Henry bouncing on his mattress once more, begging for a drink. She hated it, but at the same time it needed to be done.

After brushing her teeth and finishing getting ready for bed, Sydney returned to her son’s room. She found that, thankfully, he was laying down in bed. She finished up the tucking in process, though he was obviously giving her attitude as she did so. Then she said her goodnights, turned out the light, and shut the door behind her. Typically, she and Michael would spend some bonding time together either downstairs or in their bedroom after their son was asleep. However, with the onset of Henry’s problems, sleep had become priority, so they went to bed at the same time as he did.

“I heard him yelling in there,” Michael said as he pulled back the covers to their bed. “Did he settle down?”

“Yeah,” Sydney sighed heavily, sliding under the covers on her side. “I think he’ll sleep through the night now; I hope he will.”

Michael nodded in silent agreement before leaning over and giving her a quick kiss. “Night,” he said as he switched off the lamp by their bedside.

“Night,” Sydney echoed.

Oh god i can tell that this is going to be a heart breaker of a story... i can already feel the tension that is going to snap... I hope things can get sorted out...

Great 2 chapters by the way

Back