For Better or Worse

Great update. I do agree Syd's being a little selfish right now. Michael seems to be the one doing most of the hard work in the relationship. Hopefully things change soon.

Can't wait for more

Just speculating here but could Henry's problem be partially due to Sydney always wanting a girl? Maybe subconsciously he thinks his mother really wishes he was a girl and not a boy.

Chris

Could be...if he ever overheard her say that. Or could it possibly be to seek attention????
Maybe Sydney never really bonded with him like she should.
Seems like her resentment towards Henry is not only because of the bedwetting but because she probably thinks that if she had a girl
she wouldn't have the problems...wrong!!
I thought she was being selfish when she originally didn't invite Michael along but now I'm convinced that she only thinks of how things
effect her. She's practically saying that she'll only love the new baby if it's a girl... I think Michael should be pretty upset about that.
He's just keeps letting her get away with what she's saying and doing.. he needs wise up and have a serious talk with her.

Just speculating here but could Henry's problem be partially due to Sydney always wanting a girl? Maybe subconsciously he thinks his mother really wishes he was a girl and not a boy.

Chris

Chris is going very deep here but I think she could be right :thinking:

And also like jadeygirl said... Vaughn SHOULD have a talk with her... this all starts making sense :rolleyes:

Chapter 10
In the next few days, Sydney’s mood brightened regarding her pregnancy. She realized that Michael had been right; the most important and wonderful thing was that they were going to have another baby. While she still desperately wanted a daughter, any baby would be a blessing.

On Monday morning, she called the doctor’s office and made an appointment for early the next week. She made sure to collaborate the appointment with both hers and Michael’s schedules, knowing he would want to come along. Though Michael had a slight fear of the OB/GYN’s office, which Sydney found endlessly amusing, he insisted upon going to every pregnancy-related appointment with her. The first time around, this only made her love him more, knowing what a devoted father he was going to be, even if he did have his moments of panic regarding his skills in that area. The second time around, though, was going to be a breeze, at least in Michael’s words; they knew exactly what to expect. While Sydney knew she would not be nearly as nervous as she was the first time around, she still possessed a mild level of uncertainty which would never go away.

“God I hate this place,” Michael shifted nervously in his seat in the doctor’s waiting room. He had already leafed through three magazines at top speed and changed positions in his chair a dozen times, and they had only been there ten minutes.

You hate it?!” Sydney asked indignantly.

“Well yeah. I mean, obviously it’s not your favorite place either, but it’s so awkward for guys…,” he grumbled as his eyes darted around the small seating area, in which he was the only male.

“Yes it’s never awkward for us women folk,” Sydney said casually, obviously being sarcastic. “Forgive me if I don’t sympathize with you. After all, you will be keeping your clothes on.”

“Sorry,” Michael mumbled quietly, realizing how his complaining about feeling mildly uncomfortable with women staring at him was nothing compared to the discomfort his wife was about to face. Sydney gave him a slight smile before squeezing his hand lightly.

After just a few more minutes of waiting, Sydney was called back to one of the exam rooms, while she changed onto one of the oh-so-fashionable paper gowns, grumbling all the way. “You should get one of those to wear around the house,” Michael joked as she slid up onto the exam table. This comment was met with a glare that was so lethal it caused Michael to take two steps back until his back was against the wall. “Or not…,” he added in an invisible voice.

“This is humiliating,” she grumbled. “I can’t believe I’m gonna have to come here, like, every month now.”

“I’m sorry,” Michael said sincerely. “If I could; I’d go for you.”

“Thanks,” she laughed softly.

Another few minutes with them commenting on the pictures of the exam room wall passed before the doctor arrived. Dr. Smiley, who quite literally lived up to her name with her chipper personality, delivered Henry and was all too excited to see the next Vaughn child through to the same stage. Both Sydney and Michael joked endlessly about her always happy demeanor and how it borderline annoyed them at times, but they still knew she was one of the best doctors they had ever come in contact with.

“Well Sydney it looks like you’re about six weeks along, which will make your little bundle of joy due,” Dr. Smiley paused to count in her head, “around the last week in June – how exciting! He or she might have the same birthday as their big brother!”

“Yeah…,” Sydney said, mocking excitement in her voice. Michael stifled a laugh at the expression on her face, which indicated that she thought Dr. Smiley was insane.

“How about morning sickness? Suffering at all?” Dr. Smiley asked her.

Sydney shook her head. “I was a little nauseous for a few mornings, but mostly I’m fine,” she said. Her first pregnancy had been a breeze, as most first pregnancies go anyway. She had absolutely no morning sickness or any other symptoms that were too terrible and she was only too happy (and relieved) to continue that tradition with her second pregnancy.

“Wonderful,” Dr. Smiley grinned.

The remainder of the appointment was brief, since Sydney was aware of most of the things Dr. Smiley would have told a first time mother. The doctor merely did a brief summary reminder of a few key facts before leaving the room so that Sydney could change back into her clothing.

“So this is great, right? I mean, or little baby is all healthy and perfect,” Michael grinned as he patted Sydney’s lower belly.

“Yeah,” she smiled at him. She finished getting dressed as quickly as possible, eager to be clothed once more in the rather chilly office. Then, she and Michael left the doctor’s office and headed out towards their respective cars in the parking lot, since they had each come from work and met there. “So, um, if you don’t mind, I don’t think I want to tell people about this right away.”

“You don’t?” Michael questioned with surprise. When they found out Sydney was pregnant with Henry, the two of them could barely scramble their way out of the bathroom fast enough to get to the nearest phone to call both of their parents.

“No,” she shook her head. “I don’t want to wait too long, I just want to get used to it and have things calm down a bit first. That’s okay, right?”

Michael shrugged indifferently. “It’s your body, but you know our parents are going to be offended in some why when they found out we waited. I mean I certainly don’t care what they say; it’s our choice, but I’m just warning you.”

“I know, my mother will have a fit,” Sydney laughed. “But, it is our choice, besides we told them last time.”

“A good point,” Michael nodded. Then he snaked an arm around her back, pulled her closer, and gave her a sweet kiss. “I’m really excited about this.”

“Yeah, I am too,” she said softly.

“Are you really?” he asked, curious as to how much her opinion on the subject changed since the previous weekend.

“Yeah I really am,” she said confidently. “After all, it’s going to be a baby, right? It’ll be cute and perfect no matter what.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” he said, laughing softly. Then, with another kiss, they parted, promising to see each other at home later that day.

“So, um, if you don’t mind, I don’t think I want to tell people about this right away.”

“You don’t?” Michael questioned with surprise. When they found out Sydney was pregnant with Henry, the two of them could barely scramble their way out of the bathroom fast enough to get to the nearest phone to call both of their parents.

“No,” she shook her head. “I don’t want to wait too long, I just want to get used to it and have things calm down a bit first. That’s okay, right?”
I think that's a very good idea. Sydney has to come to terms with things, settle down and make sense of all that's running through her head first.

I think Sydney is still trying to convince herself that having a baby is a good thing. And even though she's talked herself into believing all she wants is to have a healthy baby, I still don't know if she'll treat it the same if it were a boy instead of a girl.

Chris

i just got caught up on this. for some reason...this website never works for me :( but i love this storyy. i can't believe how selfish Syd is being, but at least in this chapter it seems like she is kind of getting over that. Hopefully she will love the baby no matter what the gender.

can't wait for more :D

well at least shes startin to change her mind a bit
its probably a good idea that theyre not telling anyone yet
awesome update
loved it
cant wait for more!

YAY another little Syd/Vaughn to be running around before we know it... Although i am just a littlke but nervous on how Henry is going to be handling this news when his parent tell him...

I have a very bad feeling that the bed wetting will be only the beggining...

God i hope i am wrong

Chapter 11
In the coming weeks, things in the Vaughn household became dramatically better, mostly because Henry’s problem was starting to disappear. For a solid week, Sydney and Michael continued to wake up at 2 am and take him to the bathroom. This plan had always prevented him from wetting the bed it just continued to interrupt their sleep. After that, they decided to just set the alarm in Henry’s room, so that he could get up all by himself. This also yielded success every night.

Sydney and Michael were hoping that by three weeks of doing this, Henry had ‘trained’ his body to wake up when he needed to without the alarm. Sadly, this was not the case, for the first night they did not set the alarm, they were up changing sheets in the middle of the night. Henry insisted that he did not mind the alarm, though, so that became the solution to their problem. Sydney and Michael hoped that eventually, as Henry grew a little older and more time passed, the alarm would no longer be necessary. After all, their son’s bedwetting had started rather suddenly, and it was possible it would end the same way.

By Thanksgiving, Sydney and Michael had yet to tell their families about their impending new addition. Sydney was nearly three full months into her pregnancy by that point and, thankfully, was not suffering from any ill affects. She may have been a bit more tired than usual, but she hardly noticed that at all; since she was once again getting full nights sleep she had so much energy compared to the months she went without rest there really was no comparison.

Through much encouragement from her husband, Sydney agreed that they would tell their families over Thanksgiving about their pregnancy. For her first pregnancy, Sydney had informed her parents and Michael’s via an overly giddy phone call full of lots of squealing and crying. That time, Sydney wanted to do something a bit more creative, so she borrowed an idea from a friend. She was going to take the picture from her most recent ultrasound, photocopy it multiple times, and then take those copies and frame them in frames labeled with ‘grandmother’, ‘grandfather’, or, in Henry’s case ‘brother’. Then, she was going to have everyone open the frames simultaneously after the Thanksgiving meal they would share together. Sydney loved this idea, and so did Michael; both were very excited about the reactions from their families.

On Thursday, the actual day of Thanksgiving, Sydney and Michael had a mini-Thanksgiving of their own. The Thanksgiving they would have with their families was not until Saturday. Neither of them understood why their families decided to have the holiday not on the holiday, but they were not going to question it.

On Friday, the two of them had a day off from work and since Henry was going shopping with his grandmother (why Michael’s mother insisted taking a seven-year-old boy out shopping on the most popular shopping day of the year baffled both of them), so Sydney and Michael made it their special date-in day. While Michael was perusing some websites to do some e-shopping, Sydney was organizing the picture frames with the sonogram pictures.

“I really think people are going to love this,” Sydney said as she carefully wrapped up each picture frame box and tied it with a white ribbon.

“What are you kidding?” he laughed softly. “They would love it if we wrote it on a crumpled up napkin and handed it to them.”

“That’s true,” Sydney laughed softly as well.

“Hey Syd c’mere,” Michael called her over after a moment of silence. Sydney set down the roll of ribbon in her hand and walked across the room to where her husband was sitting at their computer. “Look,” he pointed to the screen.

“Aww you’re at BabyGap.com,” she said when she saw the website displayed on the screen. “It’s too early to shop for the baby, plus we have some of Henry’s things still,” she reminded him.

“Well yea I know but its fun to look. Like, look how cute that is?” he exclaimed, pointing to an infants robe with a hood that had little ears sticking out of it. “We didn’t have anything like that for Henry. Let’s get it,” he said in a whiny voice that resembled a young child’s.

Sydney laughed and sat down on his thigh. “We can get it, but you’d better make sure to get it in yellow, a neutral color.”

“Oh yeah, that’s right…well we’ll just wait until later on,” Michael said with a smile, hopeful that maybe that time around they would find out the baby’s sex before he or she was born.

“Mmhm,” she smiled. Then she kissed the tip of his nose before going back to finish wrapping the picture frames. As she was doing this, Michael slid onto the couch beside her and began massaging her back. At the wonderful feeling of Michael’s fingertips massaging her aching shoulders, Sydney let out a deep moan. As he continued to massage, Michael added kisses to the back of her neck while moving his hands lower down her spine.

“Why, Mr. Vaughn, are you trying to seduce me?” she asked with a deep laugh.

“I am indeed, Mrs. Vaughn, but the question is – is it working?” he asked in her ear. Sydney grinned, turned around, and pulled him into a kiss.

~*~

“Have I mentioned recently that I love you?” Michael said softly as he kissed Sydney’s forehead. The two of them were laying wrapped up in a blanket on the couch, Sydney half on top of her husband.

“Mm only every day for the past fourteen years,” she smiled.

“Oh yeah,” he laughed softly. They lay in silence as Michael continued to stroke Sydney’s back for a few minutes before he said, “It’s been so long since we’ve done something like this…why is that?”

“Um, our son, remember him?” Sydney said with a laugh.

“Ohhh yea,” Michael laughed as well. It was certainly hard for the adults to have romantic moments together with a toddler running around. At least now that Henry was older, he was safe to be by himself without them fearing he would injure himself or burn the house down. Still, knowing he was somewhere and could walk in on them at any moment really was a mood killer.

“Speaking of, we should maybe get dressed before he comes back home?” Sydney suggested.

“Mm probably, yes,” Michael laughed. “It’s going to be bad enough when he asks us where babies come from.”

“Oh god,” Sydney groaned, cringing at the mere thought of that conversation. “You’ll have to answer him.”

“ME?!” Michael gasped indignantly. “Why me?!”

“’cause he’s a boy and you’re a boy,” she said simply.

“I thought that’s why I have to give him the talk about being a man,” Michael said with a curious eyebrow raise.

Sydney shrugged. “Same diff.”

“No this is not same diff!! This is very diff! We’ll do it together, okay?”

“Fine,” Sydney agreed with a sigh.

Back