For those who didn't want this war

Existentialist

Entertainment Moderator
Well, I figured that since there is a Bush club, there should also be a thread for those who are opposed to this war. And, since nothing mean can be said in the 'for Bush' thread, same goes for here! If you don't agree, just don't read this.

I don't understand how anyone can actually WANT a war. They're terrible. Innocent people die, the land is ruined, and the neg. consequences are long lasting. The good stuff that comes from war, if there is anything good, doesn't last long, obviously, or WWI would have been enough. And nuclear weapons... well, they're just a bad bad bad idea. I can't believe people still want to use those. Wasn't Hiroshima and Nagasaki enough? If Bush and co. decide to use them anyways, they'd be killing thousands of civilians (which they keep telling the media they don't want to do) and condemning lots more to slow, extremely painful deaths. Just to kill one man.

I'm not saying that I LIKE Saddam Hussein or anything. I think he's a greedy SOB who needs to die. But is a whole freaking war absolutely necessary? Bush and co. were basically asking the Iraqi people to just let the American/British forces come in and invade their land. Of course they weren't going to do that. It's ingrained in us to fight or flight, and a lot of these people couldn't flight, so... fight. And calling this whole crazy thing, "Operation Iraqi Freedom"? Uh... yeah...

And now, thanks to Bush insisting the States go to war, foreign policy is going to waste. Over 50 years of foreign policy. I mean, France used to be one of the US's biggest allies. They helped us out all the way back in the Revolutionary War. And now, Congressmen decide to change french fries to "freedom" fries? Which is petty and silly anyways, 'cause french fries were never french! I don't understand why France is suddenly so terrible, 'cause they've disagreed with the US this once. The US is NOT always right. No one can be. And then there's Russia and Germany... and the countless other countries who were finally on good terms with the US, thanks to years of work. Now, it's basically all down the drain. What a waste. Plus, now countries like Jordan are against the US. Not because they like Saddam, but because they dislike the US even more.

Not to mention the countless Americans who are now risking their lives. I really hope that they come back safe and sane. I don't understand why the leaders of this country feel the need to police the world. It's not their job, nor is it their right.

Okay, I'm done ranting. Wait... one more thing. On the pro-Bush thread, someone said something about those who are against the war are being ignorant. I'm sorry, I really disagree. There are a lot of people out there who don't support this war. Does that make all of them ignorant? And there are definately people who support this war who are ignorant and believe whatever the government tells them. Just go to www.adbusters.com... they have some very interesting information.

:::steps off soapbox:::

encore, encore (which i can't spell :P )

Its true... there seem to be a lot of bush supporters, but thats not me!

Call us unpatriotic if you want... i really dont care

ignorant? IGNORANT?!?! ok... so what i get from that is that if we dont agree with you we are stupid. ok... SOMETHING IS WRONG THERE!

I was reading the paper the other day and there was a story about how the American troops (or British, but anyways) opened fire on a van full of Iraqi women and children and killed them all. But no, they don't want to kill the civilians!! They're SAVING them!! Crock'o'bull!!

WTF?! I thought Bush said that if any civilians were killed (or something like that) that the people would be punished! :angry: And to open fire on women and children?! What the hell are they saving them from? Death of old age?! GRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAARRRRRRR!!! Ok, sorry.

I thought Bush said that if any civilians were killed (or something like that) that the people would be punished!  And to open fire on women and children?!

What happened there is that it was okay'd to fire at vehicles that don't obey the troops after a suicide car bomber (or something like that) killed a few soldiers. In this case, I think they were trying to get the van to stop at a checkpoint, and the van didn't... so they basically panicked and fired into the van (they couldn't see who was in it), and ended up killing all those innocent people.

And, SiriCerasi, you spelled "encore" correctly. :smiley:

Whoops, I'm sorry. I went back and read it, and I need to amend this...

On the pro-Bush thread, someone said something about those who are against the war are being ignorant.

It wasn't ignorant... the exact word was naive. Which is basically the same as ignorant, but I didn't want to misquote.

existentialist - amen, sistah!! (y)

the thing that just bugged me the most was the perception that war protestors were "anti-american" or "unpatriotic." since when did standing up for what you believe in become "anti-american"? i mean, isn't that what bush and his admin are doing? they're standing up for what they believe in, but becauase we disagree and stand up for an opposing idea, we're suddenly not "true" americans? correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it one of the duties of an american citizen to criticize their president if they believe he is doing something wrong? i mean, we certainly criticized president clinton during the monica lewinsky scandal. were we wrong for doing so? of course not. he's our president, it's our right. [but then again, if you think about it, how did our president's sex life suddenly become our business? but whatever, that's a separate issue. ;)]

anyway, that's all. thanks for starting this thread, existentialist. :D

the thing that just bugged me the most was the perception that war protestors were "anti-american" or "unpatriotic." since when did standing up for what you believe in become "anti-american"?

Exactly! This country was built upon the idea of freedom... freedom to choose, to think, to have (or not have) religion, etc etc. So I'm not proud of what the leaders of this country are doing... That doesn't mean I'm "anti-American." I am American... how does one really be against him/herself? We should be allowed to criticize the president. He's a person, just like the rest of us, and we're basically allowed to criticize anyone we want. Look at all the criticism that Clinton received about his personal life... and that didn't directly have to do with the country. This country is democratic, which means that all the citizens of the country are supposed to have a say in what the gov't is doing.

:smiley:

GO Syd said:
i have changed my views and i am now anti war and agree with micheal moore
wow, how did that happen, if you don't mind my asking?

[or is this just some belated april fools joke? ;) because i know you seemed pretty pro-war (although anti-bush) before go syd!]

wow, how did that happen, if you don't mind my asking?

[or is this just some belated april fools joke?  because i know you seemed pretty pro-war (although anti-bush) before go syd!]
i will explain latter brb

Although I am pro war I ddefinately did not want this war to happen. If i fel there was any other way to bring freedom to the iraqui people I would not support war. but unfortunately i dont think there is another way. I just dont want america to ignore other countrie or we could face another world war 2

Okay, first of all, yes people do support the war but that does not make them terrible people. I personally cannot say i am for or against the war but i am behind our troops 110% no matter what happens and if i were called to war i would go because i love this country and i trust our president. Don't judge people by there opinion with the war. Yes it is wrong if we are doing it for the wrong reasons, but the iraqi people deserve freedom from this aweful man. I mean come on he rapes young girls and tortures people, who in the hell would want to live under a tyrant like that. Yes there are times when i do disagree with our president but we cant do anything about it. Mistakes are going to be made, innocent people are going to be killed so that millions of others can live in peace and not have watch what they say in public. So dont ever say someone is terrible just because they support something that you may think is wrong! I'm sorry if i make you upset. :angry:

i have decided that iraq poses not threat to the us only to israel and israel is fully capable of defending itself (and btw i believe he should be taken out of power but not this way)

yes I kno I agree but what about the innocent ppl tortured by saddam and killed what about those people. He will strart a mini genocide soon and it is our duty to prevent that

spy41 said:
So dont ever say someone is terrible just because they support something that you may think is wrong!
Have you heard the statements made about anti-war people? Pro-war people have been making some very nasty comments about anti-war people, because they DON'T support something that a lot of people do. I know this is a thread for people who don't want the war, so let's please keep it that way.

Yes, Saddam is a terrible person. He kills innocent people. What do you think the U.S is doing over there? Who are THEY killing? Not Saddam.

Back