For those who didn't want this war

I am sorry! But I just wanted to say I dont want war either and I respect every peace rallying persona nd their opinion because I want peace as well. I dont support any nasty comments anyone says. Thats all i wanted. I just dont want ppl to hate me cuz I am reluctantl for this war. I havent made any bad comments and I truly do respect ppl against war

I'll respect anyone's opinion as long as they stay away from the nasty remarks. Whether they're pro or anti, it's their choice, but I don't like people ragging on me because I'm against it. You have nothing to be sorry about, I don't think anyone hates you!

spy41 said:
Okay, first of all, yes people do support the war but that does not make them terrible people. I personally cannot say i am for or against the war but i am behind our troops 110% no matter what happens and if i were called to war i would go because i love this country and i trust our president. Don't judge people by there opinion with the war. Yes it is wrong if we are doing it for the wrong reasons, but the iraqi people deserve freedom from this aweful man. I mean come on he rapes young girls and tortures people, who in the hell would want to live under a tyrant like that. Yes there are times when i do disagree with our president but we cant do anything about it. Mistakes are going to be made, innocent people are going to be killed so that millions of others can live in peace and not have watch what they say in public. So dont ever say someone is terrible just because they support something that you may think is wrong! I'm sorry if i make you upset. :angry:
o please dont think that. I have strong opinions but I am not mad at all and you do not make me mad!!!!! If you thought I was mad I am soooooooo sooooooooo soorrry. I didnt mean to sound demeaning to words prowar ppl at all!!!!!! I could debate either side pretty well and please dont think i let my emotions get involved in this b/c i dont. I am not mad I wa just pointing out. and any comment i might have said that could have sounded in anyway mean i am truly sorry for!!!

I have only one thing to say ... supposedly, US invaded Iraq, because Iraq had some massive explosive device and US wanted to destroy those ... if Iraq had any device to use, wouldn't they have used it already againts the US soil, since they are being attacked with bombs every night ...

Give Love ... No War ...

I agree completely you kno actually I am on the fence just slightly more on the prowar side yes totally that will happen. I am really scared that terrorist attacks will increase. and yes violence causes more violence. so really i am not mad just sad that we must resort to this and maybe there is more we could have done before going to war. we definatlely have not been approaching the war very well at all

so really i am not mad just sad that we must resort to this

I agree. I was mad at first... mostly during the first two days... but now, every time I hear about more people dying, I want to cry. I am definately sad. According to adbusters.org (not .com, like I put in my original post... sorry bout that), the Iraqi civilian casualty is now at a min. of 569 and a max. of 725. That is a lot of people, and they're all dying because we're trying to kill one man. It's really very very sad.

And I'm very sorry if you got the impression that I was saying that people who support the war are terrible. My whole family supports the war, and I don't think they're terrible. Actually, some people who support the war are saying very intelligent things that I can understand... not agree with, but understand ('cause we all know understanding and agreeing are two completely different things). I can't say people who I've never met are terrible, because I don't have the right to make that judgment... and I didn't. So, once again, I apologize if you got that impression. On the other hand, there are some dumb people also against the war. There are dumb people everywhere, on every side of every argument.

Also, didn't I say in my original post that I am pulling for our troops? Because I am, totally. I know people over there, and I just hope that they come back safe. I can't say that if I was called upon to go over there, that I would go, just because I couldn't potentially kill someone when I've been saying all my life that I am a pacifist. Also, I don't trust our president... but then again, I don't trust very many people at all (especially politicians ;) ) And it's not just this war that I'm opposed to... it's basically war in general. I just don't understand why some people are so greedy (which doesn't necessarily mean for this war, so please don't tear me apart).

Going into the contemporary Just War theory, which is basically how the US today decides to go to war, war is okay if the following criteria are met: There is just cause, right intention, proper authority, probability of success, and it is a last resort. One of the biggest issues in this war is that people can't agree whether this is truly a last resort or not. However, a modern theorist named Haas believes that this theory is problematic. The Just War theory developed from Thomas Aquinas' original theory, and Haas argues that war has changed since the time that Aquinas was alive (I can't quite remember when, but it was earlier than the 1600s), since now we are not fighting armies- we are fighting countries. Accordingly, things should be changed... but they haven't. Maybe that's why so many wars are being fought, with no lasting peace.

I will end my latest soapbox stand with a quote from a former Israeli general, Amram Mitzna... "Why can't we take risks for peace? We are so brave in war. We see no risks in war. Now we should take risks for peace." (Of course, I don't really agree with all of this, but it is interesting)

Existentialist said:
On the other hand, there are some dumb people also against the war. There are dumb people everywhere, on every side of every argument.
i completely agree with this. i even said once in another topic that every movement has its wackos but we shouldn't judge that movement by them. ;)

otherwise, i would think that every pro-life person just wanted to bomb clinics and murder doctors and that's not true. i know pro-life people who are completely non-violent, but that just goes to show that you shouldn't judge one side of an argument by its radicals or its idiots.

and you know what i think is funny? when people use the phrase "fighting for peace." i mean, doesn't that just sound so contradictory to you? so is "fighting for peace" much like "screwing for virginity"? ;)

ok I'm not american but still I didn't want this war. I mean inosent people have been killed just b/c bush has to send in a whole army to get one person instead of sending in 4 or 5 people to assasinate him like come on he has killed his own people.
And if you ask me I think bush is just intimidated by the fact he thinks that hussian has 'w.o.m.d' like I don't know what you think but.

And see I don't want to sound like 2 much of an alias freak but I can match up almost anything that has happened during this war to sonething that has happened on alias. sorry but I can

Wow! GO Syd's on our side (jk) And I hope you're not still mad about the Israel tiff..

Anyhooo I would Just like to say i saw a bumper sticker today which echoes my sentiments completely: "PEACE IS PATRIOTIC"

Go USA.

i saw a bumper sticker today which echoes my sentiments completely: "PEACE IS PATRIOTIC"

I need one of those!

And also a Darwin fish... I was following someone in my neighborhood with one... But that's another story...

jay leno seems to be pretty pro-war, but he made a pretty funny joke about it early on. he said when they were thinking of what to name the war, their first thought was operation iraqi liberation but then they realized it spelled "oil." ;)

and i definitely like the "peace is patriotic" and "cure mad cowboy disease" bumper stickers. ;)

i agree, jay-leno likes the idea of having this war....and i totally agree with him. The iraqi people need all the help they can get to get away from such an evil dictator! for those of you who are pretty pro war and like to hear funny things about the french....go to www.foxnews.com then click on the "Neil Cavuto" show...he's a great guy and VERY witty!

Yeah...Canada would have gone bankrupt if they went anywhere near a war, especially this one!!! Plus the french would have been totally p.o.ed at them too!

Hey guys, my boyfriend alerted me of a better site than www.adbusters.org (I didn't really like their layout). It's www.cursor.org. So, check it out.
Though I did have to laugh about Saddam Hussein's statue being knocked down. It was about time. But the way the US media played it out...

Hi, I have another political rant to go on about. It's loosely tied to what I posted in the "pro-Bush" thread (and I really wasn't trying to be hostile or anything in there, so I'm sorry if I sounded so) about the pledge.

Why are those of us who aren't supporting this war (which also, I might point out, doesn't mean that we don't support American troops) being called "unpatriotic" and told to leave the country? When I say something bad about Bush's current foreign policy (or lack thereof), people tell me that I'm unpatriotic and I'm terrible for not supporting the country and I should leave because I don't deserve to live here etc etc. And that just confuses me. Obviously, I'm not going to support something I don't believe in. I guess this ties into the "peace is patriotic" bumper sticker. This country was founded on the idea that if you don't agree with something one of the country's leaders is doing, you can say something about it and it'd be okay. Since we're a democracy and all. In a dictatorship, it isn't okay to think in the opposite direction of the country's leader. The US is trying to get rid of Saddam Hussein's dictatorship, yet Americans are being told that they are unpatriotic and should leave the country for believing in something other than what the gov't does. Just because we don't agree with this war, it doesn't mean that we are against the US or anything. Why don't some people understand that?

I've been listening a lot to Lennon's song, "Imagine," and I'm thinking life needs to be something more like that.

i couldn't agree with you more existentialist. when we were discussing whether or not to have this war several weeks ago before it began, it was a bit insulting being told that i was being "unpatriotic" and "unamerican" by protesting. actually, it was very insulting. i also found it incredibly ironic that those who wanted to get rid of saddam hussein and his dictatorial regime were acting dictatorial themselves by telling us protestors to leave the country if we didn't agree with the president. if you truly are american, then shouldn't you practice and uphold the values of a democracy (even though i know we're not a "true" democracy)? how am i being "unpatriotic" and "unamerican" by peacefully voicing my opinion?

anyway, i'd like to end this rant-induced rant ;) with a quote by teddy roosevelt made during world war I:

"to announce that there must be no criticism of the president is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable."

Back