Season 5 Freaked and embarrassed

V

verdantheart

[Sorry that this column is so very late. It has been a very busy week.]

“Solo” begins as Rachel's family is taken into witness protection.

Sloane reports this development to Dean and emphasizes that he is not prepared to “hurt these people.” Dean tells him that he's not telling him to . . . not yet, anyway. Then he orders Sloane to locate one Janos Vak. Dean reminds Sloane that he's betraying his friends on a daily basis—something he hopes to do to Dean someday, Sloane reminds Dean.

At the ensuing APO briefing, more is revealed about Vak. He is the creator of “lasso technology,” which can redirect a launched missile toward a new target. Vak disappeared after a meeting with an arms broker in the Algerian underworld—something notoriously difficult to crack. Conveniently enough, Sydney has a contact: Renee Rienne.

After the meeting, Sloane thanks Sydney for her support. He confesses that he can't bring himself to enter Nadia's room when he goes to visit her because of his responsibility for her condition. He says he'll do whatever it takes to find a cure for her.

In Marseilles, Renee crashes a mah jong party to locate Vak.

Back at APO, Rachel is working out when Tom enters. He prefers working out alone, but she wants pointers. His advice: fight dirty.

Rienne's information places Vak in a meeting with a Chinese General who is, as it turns out, scheduled for a party to celebrate his engagement to an Indian woman. The team heads out to crash the party. Unfortunately, the bashful fiance sequesters himself upstairs. Dixon and Sydney quickly change their mission plans. Dixon falls upon his knees before the surprised bride-to-be, professing his eternal love, as Sydney slips upstairs. She demands to see the General, pretending that he is responsible for her condition. She tranquilizes him with a dart from the watch (taken from Dixon) and heads for the safe. They need a signal boost, so Rachel heads out to take care of that. As the team is pulling out, Rachel is caught by a guard and panics. Tom knocks out the pursuing guard.

After the mission, Sydney buys a rocking chair, watching a father and daughter with wistful envy. When a clerk mentions how involved fathers are nowadays and asks about Sydney's situation, she describes the ideal rather than the reality.

Sloane meets with Dean at a tailor's shop. Dean is angry that Sloane didn't tell him about the Chinese General, but Sloane had assumed that they wanted APO to do “the heavy lifting.” He says that he'll relay Vak's location once the data has been decrypted.

At APO, Dixon reports that Vak has been located on an oil platform in the South China Sea. Sydney is angry when she discovers that they are sending in Rachel solo. However, Dixon explains that they have suspended shore leave and that no one is allowed on or off with the exception of female companionship. Jack points out that only Rachel is available to do the job and they can't wait. He claims that it is no different than when she returned to SD-6. Sydney claims that it is different: when she returned to SD-6, she had Vaughn. And Rachel has you, Jack says.

Marshall gives Rachel knockout lipstick and a hairbrush with a spike—if all else fails. Rachel tells Dixon that she practiced very hard with a gun—now she can't take one in. Dixon reassures her that Jack wouldn't send her in if he didn't have confidence in her. Rachel says that she knows what everybody's thinking: she panicked last time, so they're wondering if she can do it. She has to prove it to herself.

Sloane meets with Dean and gives him the details. The plan is for APO to get the info and swap it out. But Dean doesn't trust Sloane. He sends Peyton to get the goods.

As Rachel arrives on the oil platform, she flashes back to her preparation with Sydney. Once again, Sydney reminds her that she's not being herself, she's playing a part. When Rachel finally meets Vak, she feels awkward and drops her lipstick. Sydney tells her that she's in control and she slaps Vak, which inspires Vak to respond, “Has baby been bad?” Sydney tells Rachel, “This is going to be too easy.”

Rachel proceeds to restrain Vak with duct tape and pilfer the program, after which she sabotages the computer. Meanwhile, however, Peyton has arrived and scuttled her boat. Both make for the helideck where they collide head-on. Rachel is surprised to see her—“Not dead?” Peyton suggests, but “evil” is more what Rachel had in mind. Peyton says that if Rachel gives her the software she'll let her live—and Sydney encourages her to do that if she believes Peyton—but Rachel doesn't believe her and uses the hairbrush, knocking the gun away. A struggle ensues, interrupted by machine gun fire from the men on the oil platform. Dixon arrives to take them out, Peyton escapes, and Rachel is successfully extracted along with the software.

Sloane meets with Dean but refuses to hand over the software as punishment for his lack of cooperation. Dean responds with a vague threat against Nadia.

Back at APO, Rachel debriefs with Jack and comes back to Sydney with the conclusion that, on her first solo mission, (to paraphrase) “We done good.”

A montage of agent family values ensues: Sloane with an unresponsive Nadia, Rachel with pictures of her absent family, Sydney playing a tape of her lost Vaughn for her baby.

Comments . . .

First, the “agent family values.” Something seemed to be missing in all of that . . . the family. They were all “gone” in one way or another: in a coma; in witness protection; “dead” (I'm sorry, but I can't believe that Vaughn isn't coming back). In Alias, does being an agent mean family tragedy? Maybe. Perhaps Marshall should get out while he's ahead?

Meanwhile, Sydney watches a dad with his daughter at a store. When the clerk asks her about her own situation, she paints an idealized picture. Is she just tired of being brutally honest with unsuspecting strangers? Or are the producers playing head games with us?

Sloane is upfront about his intention to betray Dean if he has the opportunity. Dean is right to distrust Sloane, but seems overly ready to call in an opposing mission. This might provide great cover for Sloane, but it might be counterproductive to his own cause, as Sloane's reaction demonstrates.

Sydney and Jack argue over Rachel's readiness. Jack argues that sending her on this mission is no different than when the CIA sent Sydney back into SD-6. Sydney replies that she had Vaughn; and Rachel has you, Jack says. It is different for Rachel, but Sydney isn't using the right argument. Sydney was a field agent before she went back into SD-6; Rachel wasn't a field agent until a couple of weeks ago. That's the difference. Rachel is far less prepared than Sydney was for the mission that she is undertaking. That said, you have to stop preparing and get into the field at some point.

Virtually everything else revolves around Rachel's struggle to become a field agent and believe in her abilities and in herself—and the plot telling that tale. I don't want to minimize it, but it's a very simple story, one we've seen many times: Girl panics, loses self confidence. Girl picks herself up, gains support. Girl faces her fears, triumphs over adversity, regains self confidence. Rachel has become a field agent, or at least is well on her way.

Quibbles . . .

Just a small one. I've been wondering why Peyton talked to Rachel instead of shooting her right away and taking the software from her body. After all, she was assigned to kill her. Was she worried that she'd damage the software? (A head shot?) Or that Rachel would drop it somewhere Peyton couldn't retrieve it? She could have really gotten the drop on Rachel . . . But I guess the way it happened, it really services the story . . .

Random thoughts . . .

“Your father's kind of scary.” You don't know the half of it, Rache.

“Why? What have you heard?” Just thought that was funny.

“Ours is a forbidden love!” I love Dixon. Why did it take losing Vaughn to get him back?

Speaking of which, Marshall trying to impress Rachel behind the scenes was pretty amusing too. The whole “I can improvise . . . ever hear of a spork?” thing . . .

Now, if we can only give Jack something to do . . .

Discuss . . .

Do you think Dean was wise to call in his own op? Would you have done the same thing? At this juncture?

Do you identify with Rachel's situation? Do you like the new kids on the block (or not) now that you've gotten to know them a little better? Explain.

When Sloane doesn't hand over the software, Dean brings up Nadia. What do you think he can do?

Next:
APO meets up with Dean at the racetrack . . . looking for a little luck to pick him up?

I apologize in advance because the next column will be delayed because of Thanksgiving vacation. Keep your fingers crossed that my VCR and Dish work properly! ;)

A montage of agent family values ensues: Sloane with an unresponsive Nadia, Rachel with pictures of her absent family, Sydney playing a tape of her lost Vaughn for her baby.
:cry: just thinking about it hurts :sadangel:

Meanwhile, Sydney watches a dad with his daughter at a store. When the clerk asks her about her own situation, she paints an idealized picture. Is she just tired of being brutally honest with unsuspecting strangers? Or are the producers playing head games with us?
in the bubble its further proof that he's just been hiding in syd's basement ;)

so true :lol: i loved that line

Do you think Dean was wise to call in his own op? Would you have done the same thing? At this juncture?
hmmm clealy he doesnt trust sloane (then again, who would)
maybe it was just ambitious desire to take rachel out (again)
man he really doesn't like he, does he? hmmmm

Do you identify with Rachel's situation? Do you like the new kids on the block (or not) now that you've gotten to know them a little better? Explain.
well, yeah, it's tough being the new kid on the block.... but the fact that i think her character is weak and all round annoying doesnt really encourage any sympathy from her (at least not from me)

When Sloane doesn't hand over the software, Dean brings up Nadia. What do you think he can do?
he who? He dean? or He sloane?
either way, nadia is obviously sloane's weakness - well... a weakER point of sloane
clearly sloane has diluted himself so much that he actually belives that he is nadia's father (again denial bubble at work ;) ) and he will do anything to protect her
that's all well and good but um... who's fault is it again that she's a zombie?! ohhhh yeah... right
perhaps sloane might actually finally for once in his life feel guilt
then again- he might need nadia alive and unzombied for some type of endgame

Comments . . .

First, the “agent family values.” Something seemed to be missing in all of that . . . the family. They were all “gone” in one way or another: in a coma; in witness protection; “dead” (I'm sorry, but I can't believe that Vaughn isn't coming back). In Alias, does being an agent mean family tragedy? Maybe. Perhaps Marshall should get out while he's ahead?

I get where you're coming from, but I think the whole idea of the episode was going beyond that, and how each of these people deal with their problems alone.... or Solo.

-- Sydney preparing for life as single mother.
-- Sloane alone, trying to save his daughter, while working for people he trusts (even if they might not him), and also for their enemies.
-- And Rachel having to deal with new realisations in her life while being alone as her family are placed in Witness Protection. She says she can't even talk to them on the phone.

I'm convinced MV will return. It just doesn't seem like Syd's gonna get such a raw deal after all they've been through together.

Sydney and Jack argue over Rachel's readiness. Jack argues that sending her on this mission is no different than when the CIA sent Sydney back into SD-6. Sydney replies that she had Vaughn; and Rachel has you, Jack says. It is different for Rachel, but Sydney isn't using the right argument. Sydney was a field agent before she went back into SD-6; Rachel wasn't a field agent until a couple of weeks ago. That's the difference. Rachel is far less prepared than Sydney was for the mission that she is undertaking. That said, you have to stop preparing and get into the field at some point.

I thought the same thing: Syd had the experience, where as Rachel does not... but like you said, she's got to get in to the field as well, otherwise, she'll never gain the experience she needs.

Quibbles . . .

Just a small one. I've been wondering why Peyton talked to Rachel instead of shooting her right away and taking the software from her body. After all, she was assigned to kill her. Was she worried that she'd damage the software? (A head shot?) Or that Rachel would drop it somewhere Peyton couldn't retrieve it? She could have really gotten the drop on Rachel . . . But I guess the way it happened, it really services the story . . .
Random thoughts . . .

I think the answer to this is simple: Peyton still views Rachel as a friend. It's the same as how Sloane thinks of Sydney.

Jack's the man.... not "The Man" ohmy.gif ... oh, you know what I mean! laugh.gif

“Ours is a forbidden love!” I love Dixon. Why did it take losing Vaughn to get him back?

This was a brilliant part of the episode. And it really emphasised the idea of Syd and Dixon's long friendship. Tom watched on as Syd just mentioned a previous mission to Dixon, and they had a plan in seconds.

Discuss . . .

I think Dean knew what he was doing. I think he's well aware of what Sloane is capable of, how subversive this man can be, how single-minded he is, and what he'll do to get things to work out in his favour. Dean was sending Sloane a message.

I like Rachel and Tom, and it seems like the writers are setting things up so these two will fall for each other. I hope this just doesn't mean that they're setting things up for JG's departure. sad.gif

I guess Vaughn being gone is bitter-sweet. The story isn't so much focussing on the relationship of Syd & Vaughn. It's giving over to the relationship of the entire team, but also, Vaughn was an integral character, and at some points it feels like something is missing.

Dean got Sloane out of prison, and an almost certain life-imprisonment, if not death-sentence. He has contacts and resources to really hurt Sloane if he wants to... and that's through Nadia!

randoms............

this was hilarious and i loved the way they threw it in to make Tom feel unconfortabkle and he just went along cos he is so cool that way!! :lol: i never understood why Dixon didn't get to play more of a role in Season 4 until Syd hurt her back - his missions with Vaughn were so cool but why have they put off returning him to the field with Sydney all this time!! Stupid writers. -_-

EXACTLY - although i am rather enjoying his interactions with Tom up to now. It seems the writers want a young jack rather than a new vaughn and I am so glad for this. (y) Not to steal Erin's words from TWOP but Tom ain't scared of Jack and he might be just about the only one (I even think SLoane is a bit fearful........well ok only a teeny weeny bit) and I said in last weeks column (i was late replying) i think he might be a Jack Bristow one day........ok it will take a woman to do him over and break his heart but you get the picture! ^_^

questions............

I don't identify so much with Rachel, having never really had to deal with that kind of thing (having life altering things goign on etc) ......but i do feel for her having to go in and do all that stuff. It's kinda weird having a spy who can't kick ass- makes a change from Syd. But I am with you on the pushing her naivity - it's like - ok, we get it, she isn't a field agent!! I mean I am enjoying seeing her train and having Syd as a mentor but it feels forced a little at times. Same with on the lack of training thing whith his lack of languages - the two newbies don't have ALL the talents our other agents seems to have which makes a change and is kinda cool!!! I think I said enough about Tom above to let you know how much I like him. He fits in so well and without forcing us to like him - he is just cool as a cucumber and Jack likes him so that's good enough for me I guess!! (y) I like his no nonsense approach and the fact he is given a job and does it well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't trust Rachel yet. Didn't someone from ABC or Eonline say that Rachel's character would kind of show us how Sydney started out? I can not see Sydney as ever being nervous, but I have known her for 4 years and Rachel for only 7 episodes...Rachel is very young and immature and I still have a nagging suspicion about her. So who is lying? Peyton should have killed Rachel-Dean ordered her to. Sydney never needed Vaughn or Dixon to tell her that Anna Espinosa needed to be taken out. Noone had to tell Sydney Anna was bad guy. Rachel should have never hesitated.

Love it love it love it. I actually laughed out loud at that one. And it's been awhile since that happened on a mission. It was classic Alias.

I think Dean is testing the waters with Sloane. Like he's casting his line to see what kind of bait Sloane takes. He is just one of Sloane's bosses. But keep in mind, Sloane doesn't play well with others. But he doesn't like to be by himself. Look at S2. He didn't start the whole take down of SD6 until Irina brought it up. Before that, in S1, he was an Alliance stooge, just like now, he's a Prophet 5 stooge. S3, covenant, and most recently in S4, APO. Sloane may be this master criminal mind, but he's like puppet that needs someone to pull his strings. If Dean yanks on Nadia, Sloane will do anything. But if Jack yanks on his clearance or something, he'll put his halo back on. Dean is following orders, too. I don't think he's even a high ranking person. If he was, Peyton would have killed Rachel-you don't leave a loose end like that if your boss is one notch down on the totem pole.

One question though: Is Peyton dead? Was that her plummeting to her death or did she swim away? if she's dead, that 2 people that took their own life rather than face their bosses with a failure. I smell Elena-remembmer McCoullough?

How's that for spin? (hee-Weiss quote from S2)

If I don't post again until after, Happy Turkey Day!!!

he who? He dean? or He sloane?
I meant Dean: he was the one making the vague threat against Nadia. ;)

I get where you're coming from, but I think the whole idea of the episode was going beyond that, and how each of these people deal with their problems alone.... or Solo.

-- Sydney preparing for life as single mother.
-- Sloane alone, trying to save his daughter, while working for people he trusts (even if they might not him), and also for their enemies.
-- And Rachel having to deal with new realisations in her life while being alone as her family are placed in Witness Protection. She says she can't even talk to them on the phone.
Very good. And the fact that I just picked that up half-way points to: a) I'm rushed this week; and b) I'm just not as into it these days (even though I did enjoy this episode). :lol:

this was hilarious and i loved the way they threw it in to make Tom feel unconfortabkle and he just went along cos he is so cool that way!! :lol:
It was nice how Tom quickly picked it up and played along, wasn't it?

EXACTLY - although i am rather enjoying his interactions with Tom up to now. It seems the writers want a young jack rather than a new vaughn and I am so glad for this. (y) Not to steal Erin's words from TWOP but Tom ain't scared of Jack and he might be just about the only one (I even think SLoane is a bit fearful........well ok only a teeny weeny bit) and I said in last weeks column (i was late replying) i think he might be a Jack Bristow one day........ok it will take a woman to do him over and break his heart but you get the picture! ^_^
I agree, he shouldn't be "a new Vaughn." That would alienate people and be, well, a little tired anyway. Tom is definitely not the Vaughn-y touchy-feely type of guy. And, especially, if (as lulu29 says, next) we envision Rachel as "a young Sydney," it might be way too much to envision Tom as "a young Vaughn"! :puke:--"a young Jack" is change of pace in combination. But, that's true, it seems like Tom and Jack "get each other" and that might be the main reason that Jack hired him on. ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't trust Rachel yet. Didn't someone from ABC or Eonline say that Rachel's character would kind of show us how Sydney started out? I can not see Sydney as ever being nervous, but I have known her for 4 years and Rachel for only 7 episodes...Rachel is very young and immature and I still have a nagging suspicion about her.
Well, to be fair, when we met Sydney, she was already a seasoned field agent . . . and even then, she was, to use that word, nervous about crossing paths with Anna Espinosa again. She was a lot better at hiding it once she got into the field, though! ^_^

As to continuing suspicions, that can be understood, considering the twisty nature of the series! :P But I hope they're not planning on yet another 180 with Rachel, especially considering their "advanced lie detector" evaluation . . . ^_^

Peyton should have killed Rachel-Dean ordered her to. Sydney never needed Vaughn or Dixon to tell her that Anna Espinosa needed to be taken out. Noone had to tell Sydney Anna was bad guy. Rachel should have never hesitated.
Like I said, I'm a little confused as to why she didn't shoot her right away. After all, she admitted that she planned to do so all along (she wanted to say goodbye? She admitted she would feel bad about it). In my opinion it was Peyton who hesitated, not Rachel. Sydney told Rachel to give up the software--if Rachel believed that Peyton would let her live--but Rachel used her chance (producing the software) to turn the tables (her first chance; Peyton had the drop on her; she was unarmed except for the hairbrush) to get the hairbrush and stab her. Rachel correctly assessed the situation: Peyton was going to kill her. I don't think she hesitated so much as looked for her opening--rather than fumbling in an incompetent attempt, she could get Peyton's gaurd down because Peyton was expecting the software and got resistance instead. I suppose you wanted her to kick or slap the gun from Peyton's hands? Remember that she's not Sydney--at least not yet.

One question though: Is Peyton dead? Was that her plummeting to her death or did she swim away?
My money's on "not dead." Remember that she came in underwater. I expect her plan was to leave that way all along. ;)

This will probably be the last time I check in before the holidays. Have a happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrate! Otherwise, have a good couple of weeks!
✌️

Sorry for the delay. I tried to post yesterday but the site was playing up.

Sloane and Dean know each other from before. I think they have history. Dean certainly doesn't seem to like Sloane a lot because he's always taunting him. I don't think he should have put together his own op at this point though. I know Sloane is devious and manipulative (it's what I love about him!) but he is Dean's man in APO. If Dean genuinely believes that, then he should trust Sloane to bring him what he needs. If he doesn't believe that, why did he recruit him in the first place or, if he has subsequently come to distrust Sloane why doesn't he carry out his frequent threats to return him to prison/hurt Nadia - whatever?

It's always difficult starting a new job, especially with a well established group of co-workers who have been accustomed to working together for a long time. The fact that she has not had the training or experience for what she is being asked to do, unlike the others. sets her apart from them. So, yes, I identify with her. I think most of us have been in that position, I know I have, though obviously not with the fate of the nation at stake!

Whatever he likes. I still think that Deam works for rogue elements in the US government. If they have the reach to affect the outcome of Sloane's hearing, I'm guessing they have the power to arrange an "accidental" or other death for Nadia. She's in a government run hospital isn't she?

It's a high risk strategy for Dean though. It might have the effect of bringing Sloane to heel, but it is just as likely to persuade him to cast in his lot with APO (if he hasn't already).

Thanks for the column v. Just like to add I agree that more Jack is needed and I think dead-drop is right about the significance of the episode title.

Enjoy your vacation.

Yes, probably. It is something of a slippery slope with Sloane. He is trustworthy for some but not all information. Dean is wise not to trust him. If he knows him at all, then he already knows Sloane has his own agenda which means he will only do what he needs to in order to serve his own end.

Yes, I identify with Rachel's situation. I'm actually currently in the "new girl on the block" situation myself, having just moved to a new job in a new city... I actually like the new characters but not at all in the context in which they were introduced. It is a bit of a double edged sword - I'm not really willing to lose characters I loved for a bunch of good looking newbies. Having said, that, I think they are all quite good. I just feel that the way that the season started and the way that they were all introduced was very unsatisfying. I like them better in the wings than center stage.

[quote/] When Sloane doesn't hand over the software, Dean brings up Nadia. What do you think he can do?
It's Sloane! I'm sure he'll figure something out. Two words: Blackwell Index.
Next:
APO meets up with Dean at the racetrack . . . looking for a little luck to pick him up?

Back