Sci-Fi Freaks (2019)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Freaks (2019)

Tagline: They look just like us

Genre: Science Fiction, Thriller, Drama, Mystery

Director: Zach Lipovsky, Adam B. Stein

Cast: Emile Hirsch, Bruce Dern, Grace Park, Amanda Crew, Lexy Kolker, Ava Telek, Michelle Harrison, Matty Finochio, Aleks Paunovic, R. J. Fetherstonhaugh, Kwesi Ameyaw, Ryan Beil, Reese Alexander, Dakota Daulby, Lee Shorten, Dean Redman, Aria Birch

Release: 2019-09-13

Runtime: 105

Plot: Kept locked inside the house by her father, 7-year-old Chloe lives in fear and fascination of the outside world, where Abnormals create a constant threat—or so she believes. When a mysterious stranger offers her a glimpse of what's really happening outside, Chloe soon finds that while the truth isn't so simple, the danger is very real.
Freaks (2019)

This one is a slightly different take on the notion of what happens to a civilized society when some humans have extraordinary abilities and the majority of does not.

I usually have these types of movies on in the background while working but I ended up paying more attention to this one than usual thanks to all of the questions that it doesn't answer. Some type of major catastrophe has already taken place and those with powers, called "Freaks", are hunted and shot on site. The main characters, a father and his daughter, are in hiding. Yeah, so far nothing new there but then a small twist is revealed and is one that I don't think I've seen before.

If nothing else Bruce Dern is entertaining to watch as the 'is-he-or-isn't-he-totally-crazy-old-guy' so I'd give this one a thumbs-up recommendation for fans of the genre.

I actually liked this movie.
According to IMdb Freaks is a (2018) film which was released Sept 13, 20198 in the USA.

Going into it, I didn't know what to expect but it played out well enough to keep my attention thru three viewings. The beginning feels like a child abuse horror story.

I liked Dern's role and acting contribution (Creepy Ice Cream Man which contributes to the child abuse horror story) as well. I enjoy a lot of Dern's work.

Perhaps one reason I like this film is the fact it is a X-Men type/superpowers movie which doesn't support all the known superhero movie universes. It is separate from the known backgrounds and histories. I like many 'other' type superpower films as well.
DC's Justice League, X-Men, Marvel's Avenger and even Transformers litter up the choices. Even films you would think have nothing to do with those universes ends up being connected in one way or another. I find it fresh and interesting when a film or a film series has its own background.

I enjoyed the Unbreakable films: (not sure if they are part of a known superhero universe yet?)
Unbreakable/Split/Glass Set
*USG1: Unbreakable (2000) b willis
*USG2: Split (2016) j mcavoy
*USG3: Glass (2019) b willis j mcavoy s jackson

Chameleon Set
*Chameleon 1 (1998)
*Chameleon 2 Death Match (1999)
*Chameleon 3 Dark Angel (2000)

Hancock (2008)
Darklight (2004)
Limitless (2011)
The Old Guard (2020)
Alita: Battle Angel (2019)
The Last Airbender (2010) -
needs more live action films
Max Steel (2016)
MegaMan (2010)
- a remake is being done {Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman confirmed that the live-action film still in the works}
These Streets We Haunt (2021)
Solomon Kane (2009)
The Green Hornet (1974)
Jonah Hex (2010)
Chronicle (2012)
Lazarus (2021)
Midnight Special (2016)
Mortal (2020)
A very unique addition to the "Super-Power" genre.
Project Power (2020)
The Source (2002)
Monster Hunter (2020)
Transference (2020)
Boss Level (2020)
Could possibly be mutated into a Marvel Universe movie.

Potentially, this might have some interesting stories to tell. Perhaps a prequel story before a continuation? Maybe told from the perspective of the policing forces instead of the mutants?
Or, just leave it as a stand alone...

I liked the idea of a time bubble. I also liked how they showed the child's powers. Tho, the 'controlling others' aspect seemed a bit common. The displacement was cool. I also like how mom's powers have restrictions. I'm curious if she possesses super-strength as well?

Films like this explore different aspects of mutant powers/super abilities. Marvel & DC also explore but have a different feel to them.

Brightburn (2019) is not officially a Superman movie. It's released by Sony Pictures and has no direct affiliation with any DC or Warner Bros. properties. If the plan is to spin this into its own cinematic universe about evil, murderous versions of the Justice League, that will be very familiar to comic fans.
I have issue with this. Justice League is so well-known, Brightburn could potentially end up being some sort of DC rip-off which rehashes the DC universe's story and legend into a dark universe Justice League. Which means, instead of something new and different, we get the same ole`/same ole`.

The worst thing that could happen to this film Freaks (2018), IMO, is for it to somehow be associated with the X-Men universe.

But yeah, I liked it back when I did a quick profile post about it on May 23, 2021
Freaks (2018) was much better than I anticipated.
Mutant superpowers - Good Movie!

Glad you got to see it!

So this isn't a remake of, I think, Brownings original movie of the same name?
This one? :thinking:

If so, then, yeah, absolutely no connection. "Freaks" in this case would be interchanged with "mutants" as in the X-Men kind, not the old name for circus sideshow performers.