FREEWARE : Orbiter - space flight simulator

Tim

Creative Writer
UCL Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering

About ORBITER

ORBITER is a free flight simulator that goes beyond the confines of Earth's atmosphere. Launch the Space Shuttle from Kennedy Space Center to deploy a satellite, rendezvous with the International Space Station or take the futuristic Delta-glider for a tour through the solar system - the choice is yours.
But make no mistake - ORBITER is not a space shooter. The emphasis is firmly on realism, and the learning curve can be steep. Be prepared to invest some time and effort to brush up on your orbital mechanics background. A good starting point is JPL's Space Flight Learners' Workbook - or you could tap into the accumulated knowledge base of the Orbiter community to get advice.

Orbiter in the press

logo_pcformat.gif
PC Format, August+September 2002 double feature "Fly the Space Shuttle - This is probably as close as you're going to get ..."

logo_pcp.jpg
PC Pilot, issue 19, November/December 2002 "The visuals are wonderful, especially the view of Earth from space, and the whole launch and re-entry sequences look fabulous."

cp_logo.jpg
Computer Pilot, April 2003 "Orbiter is an in-depth simulation, based on complex physics models for space travel, planetary motion and atmospheric effects ..."

pic64.jpg
pic61.jpg
pic60.jpg

It's OK Mr D!
The posts change and get buried pretty fast here.
I have to turn everything off to run any simulator and it usually terminates in a blue screen of death.
I wish I could afford a desktop Cray 9000!!!!!!

Back