Sci-Fi Fringe (2008-13)

I watched the pilot episode and a few of the following episodes before the competing networks started their Fall Season. I liked what I saw, but Joshua Jackson played the role of Peter Bishop a bit too annoying for my tastes. Yes, his father did bad things, but he wasn't responsible due to mental illness.

"Fringe" Writers Explain Next Season's Multiverse [Fringe]

"Fringe" Writers Explain Next Season's Multiverse [Fringe]

Fringe writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, and showrunner Jeff Pinkner, revealed something crucial about how the creative team thinks about the multiverse in this increasingly twisty, weird science show co-created by JJ Abrams.

The writing team, working with JJ Abrams, has mapped out the entire arc of season 2. One of the lingering issues at the end of season 1 was exactly how many parallel universes there are out there - especially now that characters have started seeing them and moving between them. So does Fringe exist in a DC universe-style "infinite Earths"?

Apparently not. I asked the team whether they talk about "Earth Prime," "Earth 2," "Earth 3," etc. in the writing room, or whether they have any other terminology. Pinkner said no, they only talk about "our reality and alternate reality." So there you have it: There are only two worlds. Ours and the alternate one. So don't worry about a crisis on infinite Peters. Or a giant army of Walters from 1000 different worlds. There are only two.
(Via io9)

Well, that helps to contain the scope of possible splinter story lines at least. We already know that Peter of our world is really from the alternate world so at least there is no chance of there being more than two of anybody going forward.

Just two or three worlds always leads to stories of greed. Take Charlie Jade where one universe decided to steal the water from another!!

We can just imagine the storylines that are coming up now:

The team having to work to break up kidnap schemes holding the alternate worlds people as body parts for rich people in their own world.

Doubles for political and militaristic group leaders assumed dead in explosions, etc being brought out to stir up action.

Use of the second person to provide alibi in criminal offences. Being witnessed/recorded in public whilst the other is committing a crime.

Use of same for VIP's under threat of assassination where the person in the other world never reached the heights and 'needs' the money offered.....

Just two or three worlds always leads to stories of greed. Take Charlie Jade where one universe decided to steal the water from another!!
I still haven't come across Charlie Jade; not sure if it even made its way to our shores yet.

We can just imagine the storylines that are coming up now:

The team having to work to break up kidnap schemes holding the alternate worlds people as body parts for rich people in their own world.

Doubles for political and militaristic group leaders assumed dead in explosions, etc being brought out to stir up action.

Use of the second person to provide alibi in criminal offences. Being witnessed/recorded in public whilst the other is committing a crime.

Use of same for VIP's under threat of assassination where the person in the other world never reached the heights and 'needs' the money offered.....
Let's give it a chance. The first season of Fringe was pretty good so hopefully the writers can carry the momentum forward.

Fringe Season 2 Pics Reveal Twizzler-Eating, Corpse-Dissecting Fun [Fringe]

Fringe Season 2 Pics Reveal Twizzler-Eating, Corpse-Dissecting Fun [Fringe]

Is that a Twizzler Walter Bishop is eating while he examines an open cadaver? We've missed Walter's seat-of-the-no-pants approach to science. The first stills from Fringe's season opener include a disaster and a party.

"A New Day In The Old Town" is directed by Akiva Goldsman from a script by Goldsman and J.J. Abrams. It seems to be the episode whose script pages we reviewed a while back.

(Via io9)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put the first season on my rental queue. Haven't seen any of the episodes yet. How does it compare to Dollhouse?
Compared to Dollhouse... I can't say, I just couldn't get into Dollhouse. :eek:

If you like the science aspect of Dollhouse though you will likely enjoy Fringe as well since that is the basis of the show, fringe science.

I've watched about seven episodes so far and overall I think I like it. Reminds me of X-Files a bit but flashier. I have mixed feelings about the actress in the lead role and I'm finding most of the episodes to be a little disgusting or disturbing. I really like the premise but I haven't found any of the stories to be particularly engaging but my friend says it gets better so I will stick with it.

I've watched about seven episodes so far and overall I think I like it. Reminds me of X-Files a bit but flashier. I have mixed feelings about the actress in the lead role and I'm finding most of the episodes to be a little disgusting or disturbing. I really like the premise but I haven't found any of the stories to be particularly engaging but my friend says it gets better so I will stick with it.
Give it a chance, it does get better. About half-way through the first season Abrams brought in some outside writers to give the story arcs a once-over and the biggest hurdle, of Olivia having Charlies memories, falls to the wayside a bit letting the story lines branch off into other directions.

Yeah, I've watched another 3 episodes since my last post and it does seem to be getting better. I think I'm starting to get hooked. I also like the father son relationship between Walter and Peter.

In a way, I prefer Dollhouse, but have to admit the Fringe is simply a better show. The things that make me like Dollhouse are paradoxically also things that tend to undercut its quality. That's the biggest difference between Abrams and Whedon: Abrams is a master of the medium, knowing what will work and will not, and will pursue the former and avoid the latter, even if it means leaving the "best" conceptual stuff behind, while Whedon puts concept over the priority to achieve a great end-product.

Totally off tangent but it caught my attention...

Last week the Fringe crew found themselves in Lansdale, PA, and now this week Philadelphia, PA, is featured. Lansdale is a quiet little suburb within short distance of Philly. I wonder if anybody associated with the production staff is enamored with the area in the same way that M. Night Shyamalan is.