Sci-Fi Fringe (2008-13)

I use to find Joshua Jackson's character pretty annoying.
But the more we learn of the character I think the character actually deserves to be pitied a bit. After all, we're talking about somebody that was taken from his own 'world' to be used as a replacement for his counterpart that died.

i've got into this show a little late, but, i'l glad i have, just finished season one, and just about to buy season 2.
allmost every episode is exellent, as good or ,maybe, better than X-Files. i was just blown away by it for its production values and writing

I agree that it is a very solid show. I'm about halfway through season 2 on Blu-Ray as of right now. Oh and I don't find Peter annoying anymore and I like the relationships between the characters.

Ouch! Not a good sign.... when Fringe comes back (Jan. 21, 2011) it is getting moved to 9:00pm on Friday nights. That is typically the programming slot where shows go to die.

Ouch! Not a good sign.... when Fringe comes back (Jan. 21, 2011) it is getting moved to 9:00pm on Friday nights. That is typically the programming slot where shows go to die.
Fox is responding to the Fringe fan backlash about moving the show to Friday nights, the traditional 'death knight' for TV.

Below is their most recent clip. Hopefully This really does mean that Fox is trying to revive that night; anybody remember the T.G.I.F. programming from block from ABC?

'Fringe' Returns For Season Four, And Here Are Five Reasons Why We're Thrilled

'Fringe' Returns For Season Four, And Here Are Five Reasons Why We're Thrilled
(via MTV Movie Blog)

MTV Movie Blog said:
fringeseasontwoep1.jpg
After a midseason move from Thursday to Friday nights, fans of Fox's critically acclaimed but criminally under-viewed "Fringe" were understandably worried about the fate of the show. But ratings have held strong in its move to a time slot that's traditionally viewed as a death sentence, so much so that "Fringe" is now officially coming back for a 22-episode fourth season.

This is very good news, in case you were wondering, and after the jump, we're sharing the top five reasons that the "Fringe" renewal is putting a smile on our faces.

Getting So Much Better All The Time
"Fringe" went through some serious highs and lows during season one, less so in season two. But in season three, the show has finally hit its stride. Every subsequent episode of the current season keeps getting better and better, expertly blending mythological advancement with compelling mystery-of-the-week storytelling. Without a doubt, there has never been a better time to be a "Fringe" fan than right now.

There's More Than One Of Everything
The world of "Fringe" is filled with memorable characters, many of them sporting the same faces as each other. That's because there are multiple universes at play here, with at least two different versions of every character (with a few notable exceptions). It keeps the show fresh for both the viewer and, presumably, the cast and crew, creating a show that always looks familiar but feels brand new.

Noble Causes
Two words: Walter Bishop. Yes, "Fringe" has a fantastic ensemble cast with few to zero areas of weakness, but John Noble is far and away the leader of the pack. His quirky scientist is easily one of the greatest characters currently on television, and getting to spend more time with good old Walter — and the menacing Walternate as well — is nothing but a good thing.

Doomsday Approaches
We'll keep the spoilers at a minimum in case you're behind on your "Fringe" viewing, but suffice it to say that the fit has hit the shan. Our heroes are on a collision course with a device equipped with world-ending capabilities, and by the time season four begins, it's entirely possible that we'll be down to one universe. But with a fourth season officially in the books, at least we know the world won't be completely destroyed — or so we hope!

Friday Night Lights
DVR and online viewing venues are all good and dandy, but for "Fringe" fanatics, our Friday night plans are officially set in amber for the foreseeable future. We hope you'll join us for the ride.

Tell us what you think of the "Fringe" renewal in the comments section and on Twitter!

F9xnb30ZA2I

I finally had a chance to catch up on my Fringe watching (oh, how I love our DVR) and for the first time watching the show I'm not sure about one of the episodes.

In the episode "Subject 13" that dealt with how Peter & Olivia first met as kids, Olivia was able to travel between the two worlds. The very end of that episode, as Olivia is talking with Dr. Bishop, she seems to cross worlds and is then talking to Walternate. It is from her drawing that Walternate is able to guess at what happened to Peter.

But... but... does that mean that the two Olivias have really been switched all along since they were kids and that alternate Olivia is actually the real Oliva?

:confused:

i have to wait a little longer for the season 3 boxset
If you haven't been watching the shows as they aired, wait until you get to the last scene of the final episode of the season! :eek:

Going into season 4 will be a lot more questions then ever before.

If you haven't been watching the shows as they aired, wait until you get to the last scene of the final episode of the season! :eek:

Going into season 4 will be a lot more questions then ever before.

the whole show for me is almost perfect, can't wait :smiley:

Old News - Kevin played a 'Shapeshifter' named 'Joseph Feller' in the J.J. Abrahms series "Fringe".

6955 kHz - Wikipedia
"6955 kHz" is the sixth episode of the third season of the American science fiction drama television series Fringe. It first aired on November 11, 2010 in the United States. The storyline followed the Fringe team's investigation into a numbers station that mysteriously gave its listeners amnesia, a case that ultimately ties to a doomsday device.

The episode was written by story editors Robert Chiappetta and Glen Whitman, and was directed by Joe Chappelle. It aired on November 11, 2010 on the Fox network to an estimated 4.8 million viewers in the United States. Reviews of the episode ranged from positive to mixed.

http://fringepedia.net/wiki/Joseph_Feller
Fauxlivia, Olivia Dunham's doppelgänger from the parallel universe, continues to pose as Olivia as part of the Fringe division. The Fringe team is brought in on a case where several people, part of an online group attempting to decode the information sent by a numbers station, have been stricken with amnesia. They discover the station broadcasting the signal, finding its workers killed and a strange box connected to the broadcast equipment, levitating due to its use of electromagnetism. They identify fingerprints on the box of a Joseph Feller, but his current location is unknown. Walter attempts to decipher the workings of the box, while giving hope to some of the affected people that they will get their memories back in time.

Peter discovers that the rare book shopkeeper, Edward Markham (Clark Middleton), was part of the online group but did not listen that night. Edward provides his theory of the numbers stations to Peter and Fuaxlivia, that it is a signal left by the "First People", an advanced civilization that existed before the mass extinction event. He provides them with a book about the First People. As they return the book to Walter, Peter notices numbers in the astrological charts in the book are the same as the broadcasted numbers. They give the book to Astrid, a skilled decoder, along with copious volumes of data from Massive Dynamic about the numbers stations.

Later, the crash of a small commuter aircraft is attributed to a similar signal from a numbers station, and when Fringe division identifies the source, they find a second box. Taking the box to Walter, Peter identifies one of the electronic components as rare, and engages his contacts to find Feller's address from its purchase. Fauxlivia feigns on returning to headquarters to instead travel to Feller's apartment, warning him that Fringe is onto him, but he insists on continuing his job. She throws him out the window as the Fringe team arrives, killing him and revealing him to be a shapeshifter. Fauxlivia claims she killed the man in self-defense.

Meanwhile, Astrid has decoded the numbers as a series of geographical coordinates. The closest one is in Milton, Massachusetts, the site of where a mysterious box was found ("The Box"). Teams are quickly sent to the other sites given across the globe, and they discover many more parts of what Walter and Peter believe to be the same doomsday machine that that Walternate has already constructed in the parallel universe, and which the First People book claims can destroy or create universes. Fauxlivia later communicates this finding to the parallel universe through the typewriter shop, and told to initiate "phase two".

The episode ends in the parallel universe; Olivia, having broken Walternate's conditioning making her believe herself to be Fauxlivia, is told that no further tests are needed. A vision of Peter warns Olivia that her usefulness to Walternate has ended and her life is in danger.

You can see where it's going, and assuming Abrams doesn't let it get lost in its conspiracy, it should be fun to ride along. It really wants to be the successor to the X-Files and it has everything except what it need most: the chemistry between the two main characters. Fringe is well written and nicely produced but it feels as empty and plot driven as the X-Files without Mulder. I got bored and quit watching

It actually isn't run by JJ Abrams anymore - ever since the pilot, he basically just created the characters and the setting and handed it over to amazing writers who are able to solely focus on the storylines. You should keep watching, it gets better, probably picks up in the second half of season two, you won't be disappointed.

Fringe really comes in my mind whenever I sleep. Some of the scenes are remarkable, I don't know why but it started when the two world collide i think? The episode when their duplicates appear.

Fringe: Season 4, Episode 19 - Letters of Transit (20 Apr. 2012)

Episode 19 is always a highlight of the season. In this episode, it’s the year 2036, and the world is under the control of the Observers.

Actor Henry Ian Cusick and actress Georgina Haig guest star in the episode as a pair of FBI Agents. Cusick has previously worked with co-creator J.J. Abrams and executive producer Jeff Pinkner on the ABC series Lost. Cusick stated that most of his scenes were filmed with Haig and John Noble (Walter Bishop), and that the story leaves a possibility for the return of their characters in the future.

fringecast.jpg

Fringe will get a proper series finale! A 13-episode Season 5 has been ordered to allow the show to bring everything to a conclusion.

Fox has renewed the fan favorite for a fifth and final season.

As we’ve been predicting for a few weeks, Fox has ordered 13 concluding episodes of Fringe despite the show’s ratings being super modest on Friday nights. Though producers were optimistic about a pickup, they reportedly shot two endings of the upcoming fourth season finale just in case a deal didn’t come through. Fox has even released a season five teaser trailer (below).

Fringe averaged a mere 4 million viewers and a 1.6 rating in the adult demo, including DVR. Compare that to a first-year show that Fox cancelled — Terra Nova — which averaged 10.1 million viewers and a 3.6 adult demo rating. Likewise another Fox first-year series, Alcatraz, which like Fringe is also produced by J.J. Abrams, performed better than the Friday night show, yet is considered unlikely to receive a second year.

The key was studio Warner Bros. offering a good deal to Fox on the remaining episodes, while Terra Nova was a very costly special-effects-stuffed project. It just goes to show that renewals and cancellations are all about the numbers … but not necessarily all about the number of people who watch the show.

“Fringe is a remarkably creative series that has set the bar as one of television’s most imaginative dramas,” said Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly. “Bringing it back for a final 13 allows us to provide the climactic conclusion that its passionate and loyal fans deserve. The amazing work the producers, writers and the incredibly talented cast and crew have delivered the last four seasons has literally been out of this world. Although the end is bittersweet, it’s going to be a very exciting final chapter.”

“We are thrilled and beyond grateful that Fox – and our fans – have made the impossible possible: Fringe will continue into a fifth season that will allow the series to conclude in a wild and thrilling way,” said co-creator and executive producer J.J. Abrams. “All of us at Bad Robot are forever indebted to our viewers and the amazingly supportive Fox network for allowing the adventures of Fringe Division to not only continue, but to resolve in a way that perfectly fits the show.”

“This pickup means the world (both of them) to us, because we love sharing these stories with our enthusiastic fans,” added Fringe showrunners and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “On behalf of the cast and crew, we applaud our fans and Fox for allowing us to imagine the impossibilities together for so long. Season Five is going to be a conclusive thrill ride for all of us.”
A trailer for new season is already available! Though no new footage from the final season is available the trailer recaps the series the highlights of the show with a voice-over by Joshua Jackson.

I wanted to write about the finale of the J.J. Abrams SciFi series Fringe. But I see how little we said about it, so I think it's best to sum up the series.

Fringe (TV series) - Wikipedia
Fringe - Science fiction/Supernatural drama
Bad Robot Productions
Warner Bros. Television

Created by J. J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci

September 9, 2008 – January 18, 2013
5 Seasons, 100 Episodes

CAST
Anna Torv ... Olivia Dunham (100 episodes, 2008-2013)
Joshua Jackson ... Peter Bishop (100 episodes, 2008-2013)
John Noble ... Dr. Walter Bishop (100 episodes, 2008-2013)
Jasika Nicole ... Astrid Farnsworth (100 episodes, 2008-2013)
Blair Brown ... Nina Sharp (92 episodes, 2008-2013)
Lance Reddick ... Phillip Broyles (90 episodes, 2008-2013)

Premise
Fringe follows the casework of the Fringe Division, a Joint Federal Task Force supported primarily by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which includes Agent Olivia Dunham; Dr. Walter Bishop, the archetypal mad scientist; and Peter Bishop, Walter's estranged son and jack-of-all-trades. They are supported by Phillip Broyles, the force's director, and Agent Astrid Farnsworth, who assists Walter in laboratory research. The Fringe Division investigates cases relating to fringe science, ranging from transhumanist experiments gone wrong to the prospect of a destructive technological singularity to a possible collision of two parallel universes. The Fringe Division's work often intersects with advanced biotechnology developed by a company called Massive Dynamic, founded by Walter's former partner, Dr. William Bell, and run by their common friend, Nina Sharp. The team is also watched silently by a group of bald, pale men who are called "Observers".

Season 1 introduces the Fringe Division as they investigate cases that form "the Pattern", many of which orchestrated by an international network of rogue scientists known as ZFT (Zerstörung durch Fortschritte der Technologie, or in English, Destruction through Advancement of Technology), led by David Robert Jones, who are preparing for a doomsday event. The ZFT threat appears to end when Peter kills Jones as he attempts travel to a parallel universe. Olivia comes to learn she was a child test subject for Walter years ago for a nootropic drug, Cortexiphan, giving her weak psionic abilities. Walter also struggles with adjusting to normal life in Peter's care after living seventeen years in a mental institution while hiding the fact that Peter is from the parallel universe, "his" Peter having died as a child.

In Season 2, the occurrences are found to be in conjunction with activities of a parallel universe, which is plagued by singularities occurring at weakened points of the fabric between worlds; over there, scientists have developed an amber-like substance that isolates these singularities as well as any innocent people caught in the area on its release. The Fringe team deals with more cases that are leading to a "great storm" as the parallel universe appears to be at war with the prime one, engineered by human-machine hybrid shapeshifters from the parallel universe. Walter is forced to tell Peter that he is from the parallel universe, a replacement for his own Peter that died from a genetic disease. Walter had crossed over on the frozen ice of Reiden Lake in 1985 to administer the cure for the alternate version of Peter, but, after destroying a dose of the cure upon transport, he instead brought the boy across; on return, they fell through the ice but were saved by the Observer September, who reminded Walter of the importance of Peter. Walter's crossing is what caused the singularities in the parallel universe, with Reiden Lake at their epicenter.

Season 3 presents episodes that alternate between the two universes. "Walternate", Walter's doppelgänger in the parallel universe, is the U.S. Secretary of Defense and has set events in motion to assemble a doomsday device that reacts only to Peter's biology. He also sent his Olivia, "Fauxlivia", to the prime universe, in Olivia's place, to engage the Fringe Division and assemble the prime universe's version of the device, while he studies Olivia's Cortexiphan-induced powers. By happenstance, Fauxlivia becomes pregnant with Peter's child, Henry, before being outed and extracted to the parallel universe. Walternate orchestrated acceleration of the pregnancy to gain a sample of the baby's blood, which he uses to activate the machine. Peter, with Olivia's help, enters the prime version of the machine, and experiences a vision of the future where the parallel universe has been destroyed and the same fate threatens the prime one. Recovering in the present, Peter alters his plan and uses the machine to merge the two rooms, creating a bridge where inhabitants of both universes can solve their dilemma, before disappearing and being forgotten by both Walters and Olivias.

Season 4 begins in an alternate timeline, one in which September had failed to save the alternate version of Peter in 1985, according to the Observers. This creates a butterfly effect influencing the main characters' pasts but otherwise stabilizing both universes due to the creation of the bridge. Peter is pulled into this new timeline due to the actions of the alternate timeline's Fringe team, which includes Lincoln Lee. Peter initially works to return to his own timeline, fueled by fears that his memories are altering Cortexiphan-dosed Olivia's of this timeline, but after encountering a wounded September, Peter comes to learn that this timeline is truly his home, and both he and Olivia come to accept the change, rekindling their affair. September also reveals to Peter that the Observers needed to erase Peter's son, Henry, to assure their future will be created, though noting that Peter's future child with Olivia will be important. Meanwhile, in the present, William Bell has instructed David Robert Jones, alive in this timeline, to work with the parallel universe's version of Nina Sharp to synchronize the two universes together, aiming to collapse them both and pave the way for a third universe under Bell's control, using Olivia's Cortexiphan powers to enable the collapse. The Fringe division is forced to close the dimensional bridge, but this fails to stop Bell's plan. Walter is left with one choice, to shoot and kill Olivia, her death disrupting the process and saving the world. September appears to Walter and warns that "they are coming", alluding to a dystopian future of 2036 depicted in the episode "Letters of Transit", where Observers from the far future, having ruined Earth for themselves, time-traveled to 2015 and instituted "The Purge", wiped out much of humanity, subjected the survivors to their control, and began modifying the planet's environment to be more suitable for themselves.

Season 5
The fifth and final season continues from the 2036 of "Letters of Transit"; the Fringe team was able to seal themselves in amber to avoid capture shortly after the Purge, and are reunited through Etta, Peter and Olivia's now adult daughter that disappeared shortly after the Observer arrival in 2015. Walter reveals he and September developed a plan to defeat the Observers, revealed through a series of pre-recorded videotapes ambered in the lab. The tapes lead to several components of a device, including a young Observer child, named Michael, but further allude to a man named Donald that had helped Walter prepare the plan. Etta is killed during these events, driving Olivia and Peter to complete the plan for her sake. Through Michael, they discover Donald is September, having been stripped of his Observer powers for helping the Fringe team, and that Michael is his genetic son, having been purposely grown as an anomaly in the far future. September explains the plan is to send Michael to the year 2167, where human genetic experiments to sacrifice emotion for intelligence would be started and leading to the creation of the Observers; by showing them Michael who possess both emotion and intelligence, the experiments would be stopped and the Observers never created. September is prepared to take Michael to the future as the plan is set in motion, but he is shot and killed at the last moment; Walter, already made aware that he will have to make a sacrifice, takes Michael through to the future to assure the plan's completion. As predicted, time is reset from the invasion onwards in 2015; the Observers never invade, and Peter, Olivia, and Etta live their lives peacefully -- though Peter receives one final letter from his father: a drawing of a white tulip.

I just started watching the series last week. Right now I'm nearing the end of season two. I must say that I am definitely a fan. As of now I would currently place it in my list of all time favorite series, hopefully I still feel the same by the time I finish its final season. The show itself deals with alternate universes, time travel, and other far out sciences. It also deals with many real theories and sciences.

Stuff like this really gets my imagination going. Is anyone else here a fan?