Sci-Fi Fringe (2008-13)

Uh... you know, I have to admit... Fringe is starting to lose me. I mean, sure, I like the main three actors, that's all fine and good... but none of them really stand out for me. (Aside from Dr. Bishop, who is still a bit too one-dimensional for my taste.)

If there's something better on Tuesday nights... I might just switch over. Although, since I'm commited to watching House at 8 PM... gotta say, inertia is a powerful thing.

I've been watching most this season's shows on the DVR so watching Fringe at, say, 2:00 AM might have a different impact than watching it during prime time.

Bald Guy adds a new twist to it. It kinda' reminded me of an Outer Limits (or could've been the new Twilight Zone) episode where a group of people travel back in time as tourists to witness notable tragic events.

Yeah, but wasn't Bald Guy a little too weird? Didn't they go a bit overboard trying to show just how "alien" he was???

Yeah, but wasn't Bald Guy a little too weird? Didn't they go a bit overboard trying to show just how "alien" he was???
I don't know. The thing with the hot sauce I chalked up to possibly being a case of an 'engineered' being needing a particular dietary intake. We saw already where the cloned super soldiers needed to maintain a chemical balance in order to preserve themselves so I was thinking along those lines.

The scene with Peter in the cemetery, though, was a bit off. We already saw Bald Guy having a conversation with Dr. Bishop in the cafeteria so we knew Bald Guy knew English and was able to communicate with others so why the little game of the telepathic mind reading? Plus by then Bald Guy was communicating quitely cleary on a cell phone (or some type of communicator) so why play games? Of the the Bald Guys scenes that I can recall at the moment, that one I would agree with as being a bit out of place.

I've heard alot of bad things about Fringe but I believe it is a great show so far. I don't have a DVR, so it is also very convenient that the episodes can be watched for free at hulu.com.

Here is a gathering of early reviews for Fringe.

http://www.tv.com/fringe/andquotfringeandq...86435/msgs.html
E!Online: "Have you seen the Alias pilot? How about the Lost pilot? Did you think those were OK? If yes, you'll like this. It is of equivalent quality, if perhaps a bit less grandiose than the Lost pilot. Still, the story structure of Fringe feels perfect. All the narrative pieces that need to fit together, in the end, do. Guns placed on tables in act I go off in act III. Loose ends are tied up or are drawn out enough to be a season-long story threads. Anna Torv's Olivia Dunham is a woman of substance and grace. Joshua Jackson, for his part, is what they call laugh-out-loud funny."

The Futon Critic : "I continue to be blown away by the ambition of Abrams and company - they literally are the Henry Fords of the imagination business these days. For better or worse, this is a show that's not willing to settle for the status quo - in this case a 21st century update on "The X-Files." It's a territory ripe for exploration as real world science and technology begin to take off into all sorts of trajectories. The show then wisely operates in that "fringe" or pseudo area where the dots haven't quite gotten connected, meaning it can pull off its various crazy concepts without having to fully explain them - but at the same time gives them enough rules so that they aren't easy outs or cure alls."

Televisionary : "Ultimately, Fringe is spellbinding television, flawlessly setting up both an intricate overarching mythology (another J.J. Abrams specialty) as well as the possibility for self-contained procedural storytelling, a rare combination and one that will undoubtedly work for the series in the long run. As for this jaded critic, I'm going to be the first one in line for what promises to be yet another dizzying and mind-opening J.J. Abrams rollercoaster ride."

Nick's Pix : "I expected more from FRINGE (**1/2), the latest big-budget TV series from LOST and ALIAS mastermind J.J. Abrams, who developed the series and wrote the pilot script with TRANSFORMERS writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman for FOX. Directed by TV vet Alex Graves (THE NINE, WEST WING, SPORTS NIGHT, JOURNEYMAN), this extended episode (82 minutes) felt less like a true pilot and more of a middle-of-the-season-episode."

Variety : "Casting really is the strongest suit here. The pilot script and story is very compelling. It's not "Lost"-level instantly addicting, but it leaves you very curious about what's gonna happen next week. There's a big twist toward the end of the pilot that I never saw coming. The direction is very fast-paced and not-showy. There's a few stretches that seem over-loaded with action-action-action but I'm guessing that's easily fixed in the editing process."

Bloody Disgusting : "FRINGE" features one of the most ridiculous and unbelievable concepts ever to hit the small screen, which isn't the problem. The problem is that the show couldn't establish itself as serious or one big hilarious (not) joke. During a intense moment John Noble, Joshua Jackson and another star join a cow (literally) in watching "SPONGE BOB" on the TV. Is this the writers' way of saying that the viewer shouldn't take this seriously? That's the center of the problem and what needs to be fixed immediately if this show is going to work. The viewer needs to take this "fringe science" and Pseudoscience seriously if they're going to continue watching the show."

Wired : "The pilot episode of upcoming TV show Fringe, directed by Lost executive producer J.J. Abrams, is a twisty-turny tech thriller replete with a doomed airplane, hairless weasels, rooftop chases in the Bourne Identity vein, acid-tripping federal agents and more translucent skin than you can shake a fat-encrusted artery at."

NY Magazine : "Worth a season pass? Yes. An X-Files with the mythology laid out from the get-go, Fringe promises to ride grody special effects, the chemistry of its oddball trio, and Lance Reddick's basso profundo to the genre promised land. After watching the pilot, we can only say: More, please."

It's been so long since I've visited this website, with Alias long behind us. But I only started watching Fringe because it was JJ Abram's new show. Amusingly, in today's episode, something was referenced on a certain page. I'll give you one guess to what page it was on...

Page 47!

It's been so long since I've visited this website, with Alias long behind us. But I only started watching Fringe because it was JJ Abram's new show. Amusingly, in today's episode, something was referenced on a certain page. I'll give you one guess to what page it was on...

Page 47!

I KNOW!!!!!!!! :D and also, i was looking at the massive dynamics wiki 'website' and i found an old interview some guy did, and according to jj abrams, gene, the cow Officially belongs to arvin sloane. :LOL:
other than that, there have been 2 patterns: someone told me on another site that the Observer has been in every eppy so far, and there's a pattern with color; something green, something green, something red. i call it the green-green-red-game, and the observer one is 'find the observer' i know, real creative. ANYway, about p.47, no one needs to tell US what was on that page, we already know. ;) *quotes entire prophecy* :LOL:

Interesting. I wonder if it'll be a recurring character or just the occasional appearance. With the story arc now turning towards what role exactly Dr. Bishop has played in the events unfolding, having his antagonist suddenly show up should make for some good twists (as well testing the support of Olivia towards him).

EW said:
Look at J.J. Abrams using his fancy sci-fi connections. After collaborating on his upcoming Star Trek reboot, Abrams has signed Leonard Nimoy to join the cast of his Fox baby, Fringe.

The 78-year-old Trek icon will play William Bell, Walter Bishop's former lab partner-turned-millionaire founder of Massive Dynamic.

"It was a delight to work with Mr. Nimoy on Star Trek," J.J. tells me. "The idea that he will play the mysterious, much-referenced William Bell is a thrill. I know I sound like a goofy fan boy, but I can't help it: Leonard is an icon of the genre and such a wonderful actor. To have him come on board Fringe is a mind-blowing honor."

The character is slated to debut in next month's season finale and then return in the fall for an extended arc.

Reaction? Is your inner fanboy on the verge of exploding? Already salivating at the prospect of Nimoy geeking out with John Noble? Stunt value aside, do you think Nimoy is right for the part? Sound off below!
(Via EW)

I saw him on a youtube video at a fan group yesterday. The group were supposed to be watching Star Trek II, 3 hours before the first screening of the new Star Trek movie in Australia. Leonard Nimoy walked on stage during what appeared to be a fault with playing the reel, egged the crowd on and then appeared to hand over the reels for the new film and everyone got to watch that, to much applause and screaming.

He is starting to look a bit old. I hope he can keep up with the bouyancy of his opposite character!

It was strange seeing him smiling at the end of Fringe!

he is a good actor and im sure will have a nice role and add to an already interesting tv series.

Looking like Fringe is turning in a Sliders/x-files mix :smiley:

FBI agent Olivia Dunham and Peter Bishop are faced with a rapidly spreading unexplained phenomenon of the threatening kind. In an attempt to stop the spread, they enlist the assistance of Bishop's estranged father, the institutionalized scientist Dr. Walter Bishop.

Dawson's Creek's Joshua Jackson plays the role of Peter Bishop, a smart guy with many gambling debts. Anna Torv (The Secret Life of Us) plays Olivia Dunham, a young, tough FBI agent who has to confront an unexplained phenomenon. Also cast in the series are The Black Donnelly's Kirk Acevedo and Boston Legal's Mark Valley as FBI agents. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King's John Noble and The Wire's Lance Reddick are also on the cast: Noble as Dr. Walter Bishop and Reddick as Phillip Broyles, a special agent for Homeland Security head of the Fringe division, that investigates terrorist and paranormal events. Alongside them are veteran actress Blair Brown and Take the Lead actress Jasika Nicole. Brown plays Nina Sharp, a veteran Chief Operating Officer of Massive Dynamic, a cutting-edge research company, while Nicole plays Astrid Farnsworth, a federal assistant.

This highly anticipated sci-fi drama was created by Transformers /Star Trek/ Mission: Impossible III's J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Fringe's pilot was directed by Emmy Award-winning Alex Graves (The West Wing) and produced by Warner Bros. Television, Bad Robot Productions and Fringe Element Films.

I really liked the pilot though i found some common points with alias like there's a female agent and she's like so ambisious and then the man she loves is going to die and at the end she's discovers that there's something more inportant to fight with

i definetely gona watch it

I love science fiction television. I really want to see that one. I bet I will love it. I used to love Star Trek too. I am so happy you reminded me.