Which?

• Gameplay

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Graphics

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Some of both

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters
Well we've seen from recent games (Vanguard) that looks aren't everything. You have to have a good, solid core of gameplay and content because looks aren't going to keep players around. MMO players cannot live on sparkly graphics alone!

Just my opinion.

Sophisticated graphics aren't that big a deal to me. Hell, I actually prefer the quaint charm of an old-fashioned sprite to the cold, harsh reminder of my own reality that a CG model would shove in my face. I mean seriously, if I wanted a troll with three-jillion polygons and more shaders than the inside of a cave, I wouldn't have dumped my girlfriend. So yeah, gameplay for me.

Meh, I like my character to look awesome. Yes, if the gameplay is good it can still be a great game, but I think Hero's Journey will offer me both anyway, so it's all good. One of the main reasons I first looked at HJ in the beginning was for the customization it seems it will offer. I find more and more games coming out lack in this, which was something always important to me.

It's easier to upgrade things in a game's looks than it is to change the underlying game play structure on the masses and themselves..so game play definitely gets it.

I went for both. I lean a bit toward gameplay, but graphics tends to be a great hook - for example, a breathtaking view or a really good animation. The little things like that turn a good game into a great game.

Graphics can be a strong hook for me, as well as animations. But even the most beautiful graphics (Vanguard) if they lack all sense of style (Vanguard) don't matter. If the hair styles, clothing, models, expressions, animations etc don't have a strong flavor the "highest quality" graphics mean nothing to me.

But, I quit graphical mmos for a text game. So I'm going to have to say gameplay > Graphics.

There is however, a third factor in there. Community :smiley: Star Wars Galaxies does not have graphics that wow me, since the NGE I loathe the combat system but yet, the setting of the world and the amount of roleplay (and roleplay tools provided by the devs) keeps me coming back. So you can have neither cutting edge graphics or engrossing gameplay and I'll still enjoy myself :smiley:

In my opinion, a game could have terrible graphics, but if the gameplay was fun, innovative, and had loads of content to keep you endlessly entertained, I would play that over a game with awesome graphics and whack-a-mole style gameplay.

Dragon Warrior 7 > Dragon Quest 8

Which is to say, low quality graphics aren't as much a game killer as high quality, horribly styled ones... Or something. Also, Gameplay > Graphics.

Oh, but Character Customization > a lot of stuff, too. I gots'ta have my uniqueness.

I still play EQ, and I've tried WoW, EQ2, VG, etc... for me its the gameplay and community more than anything.... if the gameplay is too simplistic, i get bored... but there also has to be community... I don't want to have to solo all the way up to cap before I can get a group... soloing is fine when your waiting for a group (provided it doesnt take all day to get one)... but graphics are definitly lower in importance than the other two.

I'm a fanatic about the way the game and characters look. I have a BFA in fine art.

I absolutely hate looking at a character or building or environment and seeing where an idea was started and left unfinished looking as if some supervisor walked by and told the modeler thats good enough now move on they will never notice.

So yes, looks matter to me ... a lot.

I'm a fanatic about the way the game and characters look. I have a BFA in fine art.

I absolutely hate looking at a character or building or environment and seeing where an idea was started and left unfinished looking as if some supervisor walked by and told the modeler thats good enough now move on they will never notice.

So yes, looks matter to me ... a lot.

Oh you won't have to worry about that. Everything not only gets finished, it doesn't look sloppy or thrown about. The entire World Team has a "creative eye" so to speak. I know at least one of them has an art degree. The On-Site artists are really great too. I can't believe how pretty they make everything look. I mean seriously, gorgeous.

Anyway, I can easily tell the difference between an area in HJ compared to other games. We were discussing it in Story one day, about how everything has this "alive" look and feel. Like the plants grew that way, instead of someone placing them :smiley:

Oh you won't have to worry about that. Everything not only gets finished, it doesn't look sloppy or thrown about. The entire World Team has a "creative eye" so to speak. I know at least one of them has an art degree. The On-Site artists are really great too. I can't believe how pretty they make everything look. I mean seriously, gorgeous.

Anyway, I can easily tell the difference between an area in HJ compared to other games. We were discussing it in Story one day, about how everything has this "alive" look and feel. Like the plants grew that way, instead of someone placing them :smiley:

I am most encouraged by this reply. =D=

Since you mentioned how plants didn't look like they were unnatural It brought to my mind creatures or more specifically animals. I was thinking the other day while passing though and area in EQ2 how unnatural the animals looked as there were clusters of specific creatures in small areas and it occurred to me that in nature it would not look like that even though some areas might have more of them about.

Trying not to highjack this thread too much I just wanted to reply by saying it would be cool if roaming creatures did not look like somebody rounded them up and stuck them in a single spot to be harvested by who ever has a certain quest. I was thinking it would be cool if there were open fields from time to time (or forest paths) that seemed safe at first even if they were not.

I just recently played through Kirby's Adventure again on an emulator.

Screw the graphics, screw the short game length, I got to use Laser and UFO, quickdraw against Dedede, and I found every secret! Gameplay over graphics, always.

~Dune Walker~

DR is the best RPG I've ever played, probably the best game I've ever played, and it had no graphics.

Gameplay stands alone!

Back