Game lore/backstory...have we got any?

I have been rummaging around the various sites for Hero's Journey, but so far I'm not seeing anything which really talks about the world, the history, what drives characters and so on. While WoW did drive me spare with its cartoony graphics, irritating emotes, and quick-zerg-to-60 mentality, the world itself was rich with lore and history (unfortunately too few people explored that).

So what's the story for this particular world? Is there some well thought out histories and something for me to build a character with, or is it just another fantasy world-hero-with-a-sword?

Still using the search feature as I type this so I may find it halfway through my post.

The lack of lore is what we're all waiting for. Well....that and beta info. Lore and beta. Beta and lore. Beta.

and beta.

O_o

Yeah, Simu had released a bit of lore, but when they updated their main site, they took it all off and put a coming soon sign up. Most of the lore they had is listed in the second and third links in Thaos's post. The first link in his post is lore from all the other Simu games (primarily GS from the looks of it) and is almost certainly not going to relate to HJ at all. But it does give a good overview of the degree of lore Simu has in their games.

What I am finding is rather fascinating reading. The idea of most races as doomed in some way with illness is brilliant, and the various factions all springing up, part religion, part governmental in a post-apocalyptic sort of world all has great potential and scope for play. I'm still a bit stumped as to how the PvP aspect would work when it seems everyone is just trying to survive and don't really have TIME to be fighting one another, but I suppose that will be revealed in time.

Trillian said:
I'm still a bit stumped as to how the PvP aspect would work when it seems everyone is just trying to survive and don't really have TIME to be fighting one another, but I suppose that will be revealed in time.

Well it will probably be related to 'making faction mean something' as someone once said. You'll find the idea behind that in this sneek peak article at the bottom; specifically:

First, the Disclaimer: Our plans for Player vs Player activities in HJ are quite elaborate. Some of it will be available at launch and other parts will be made available with future expansions. What is described here is the intent of the design and may not reflect the actual state of PvP at release. PvP will exist in two basic flavors:
  • Individual, Clan and Guilds
  • This is PvP that pits participants in duels, games, tournaments and PvP quests. Not only will players be able to challenge other players to duels, Guilds and Clans will be able to challenge other Guilds and Clans to duels. Additionally, individual players, clans and guilds will be able to compete for honors in game tournaments, which they can use for bragging rights or to obtain new benefits. In fact, we want to allow guilds and clans to create their own tournaments and invite other clans and guilds to participate.
  • Factional
    There are three main player factions in Hero’s Journey. Factions can conquer territory or compete for political advantages that in turn might help them gain control of the Triumvirate (the ruling political body). When conquering territories, Factions can gain control of strategic resources, which in turn can give their faction certain advantages that can include influencing World Machines, granting of new benefits, items, etc.
When players are not in a PvP world, they may be in one of three states: Opt Out, Standard or Overt. The Opt Out state prevents a player from engaging in or being a target of any PvP activity. The Standard state allows you to engage in or be the target of covert (non-combat) PvP. Certain actions, such as failing a covert PvP action or attacking someone in an Overt state can move you to the Overt state. The Overt state allows any Standard or Overt flagged player to engage you in combat.

And a lot of info can be gleaned from any of the other articles on the Hero's Hall Articles page.

As Thaos stated, a lot of information about the world of Elanthia can be found in the articles. While nothing official has been put together (maybe a future project?), make sure you check out the articles page, and read up!

I stickied that thread by the way.

I think there is some lore about how I became the demon spawn child of Elanthia. :3 they should totally write an article on that. Because I'm not sure how i came to be either. :O

Daax said:
I think there is some lore about how I became the demon spawn child of Elanthia. :3 they should totally write an article on that. Because I'm not sure how i came to be either. :O

*waves frantic hand in the air*

Oh i've seen the book of that lore! Its veeery ancient and guarded in a pit of doom by no less that five Uber Hellions with Mega Super Powers. No one has bee able to unbind it from them. We must establish das Uber Group and go in to retrieve it!

But the key is held by the Giant Slorth in the tallest Tower of the remotest castle across a rickitty old bridge...umm.. you go first.

Back