Game to Try til HJ - Saga of Ryzom?

Pietoro

Cadet
Anyone else heard of Saga of Ryzom? It has a very interesting visual design, very alien creatures and landscapes. Also, there are seasons and ecosystems, where certains herds of creatures will migrate and be preyed apon by others. It sounds very interesting!

Their upcoming expasion, Ryzom Ring, is a tool that lets you create your own quests, scenarios, and other content on your own maps. It sounds pretty neat. :smiley:

Also, their free trial has no time limit, there's an entire 'newbie' zone, and you can play there for free as long as you like, and chat with the paying players elsewhere in the world unrestricted. I was thinking of d/ling the client and playing around there for a while.

Anyone else maybe want to try it out too?

I beta tested SoR and also played the newb zone. Was not impressed with its performance on my rig, and could not find a hook that kept me in the game. Also required a credit card on PlayNC to use, even though the part of the game I was in was free.

Possible it's a better experience now.

The newbie land they added is totally new, its not the original starting zones.
I'm d/ling it now, so I'll report my first impressions once I get in. :smiley:

I downloaded the game and can't get my credit card accepted. It times out or something. So good luck.

The game is skilled based, btw. Some may like it, some may not. I suggest reading up on it before deciding.

Saga of Ryzom is a great game if you're happy playing a really good looking game with little to no story/quests. There IS a story, but very hard to get involved in, I thought. The graphics are very beautiful though, and the land is huge. Also when I tried the trial, the newbie intro didn't give you much info. There's a lot about the game that is just trial and error, or asking other people. I'm not sure if it's changed since then, since it was pretty recent (within the last month or so).

Also the trial was 7 days, and once I hit my 6th day or so, they sent me an email asking if I'd like to continue and start paying. I really liked that they did that.. it just seemed so HONEST, instead of just "thoughtfully" charging my credit card so I could keep playing. I'd say give it a shot though, you don't have much to lose.

Hm, maybe you d/led the full game, and not the trial? I believe you can get the full game online as well.

I didn't have to put any credit card information, just signed up with a username and password, and my address. This new trial is not 7 days, its unlimited free until you choose to buy the full game and move off the starter zone. This trial was only just released recently, I believe.

Right now I'm playing with the character creation. That'll take the rest of the day, heh.

I have a Tryker going named Kirey. :smiley: Didn't see you on tonight, Tas, I'll try to add you to my friendslist tomorrow.

So far, not liking the Foraging/Crafting schools so much. Maybe cause I don't understand the crafting mechanics yet. Combat is pretty straightforward though, I like the idea of creating your own attacks by combining different learned skills.

Also, non-hostile critters come up to you as you wander around. They seem curious, they'll sniff at you and such. ^^
Posted some snaps here.

I downloaded the new trail last weekend and the game has it's pluses and minuses. I like the AI and curious animals...so much so that I don't go around killing everything that moves :smiley: Crafting and harvesting can be daunting at first but I got into them after the first few missions. Crafting seems very custimizable if you can get to the higher levels in it. Visually the game is some very nice eye candy. Spells look cool and each character race looks pretty good. There are a ton of emotes :smiley:

On the downside, the game has a pretty bad grind in it. I have most my skills in the 15 range and I can feel the grind already (dunno if I've even leveled yet :P ). There is little music in the game but with surround sound it really feels like wilderness environment :smiley:. There are a few bugs and some minor text probs but they're easily overlooked. The game is hard too....I got killed by the first even con I found so leveled up some other areas before I started really hunting.

Overall it doesn't hurt to try it out...the price is right :smiley:.

Name in game is Ikiru Zorai jack of all trades atm. Play times are 6p-830p central time ...varies on weekend :smiley:

Bought the game when it first came out (as I do with most MMOs) and only played it for a couple weeks. Never really played it long enough to form an opinion one way or the other, but at least I didn't NOT like it. Forgot exactly why I didn't continue playing it...something to do with RL issues. Guess I could give it another try if I can get myself away from CoH/CoV :smiley:

So, been playing this for about a month now. I'm liking it. :smiley:

Main drawback: No universal public chat channels. Zones are so divided into separate 'subregion channels' you're usually alone with nobody to talk to if you're not in a guild or party, as most folks are not in the 'lowbie' regions unless they're buying or selling. As a 50% Socializer... that really sucked for me. :P

I got into a guild as soon as I could apon leaving the trial island, which fixed most of that. Having fun so far, hopefully Ring (the free expansion) will come out soon. You will be able make your own scenarios where you're the GM... program/customize NPCs, mobs, zone layout, make a scripted storyline... and invite others to play your scenario. :smiley: You can also set your own money/crafted items as quest rewards.

Ryzom will be the first MMO with major player-made content, when it's out. From the demos, it looks really promising. I may end up splitting time between HJ and this, just for the fun of making my own scenarios in Ryzom. So we'll see how that works out. :smiley:

There is a universal chat channel Pietoro. Good thing too, as i was needed some help after getting back into after almost 20 months. :smiley:

Yes, but its supposed to be Q&A only, and the mods go after you if you're OT. Its safer to babble late at night, I've found. xD

Back