Garner Files for Divorce

M

Marlene

From Yahoo!-

Garner Files for Divorce

By Marcus Errico

Those pesky irreconcilable differences have struck again in Hollywood.

This time the victims are once hot couple Jennifer Garner and Scott Foley.

Garner dispatched her lawyers to the courthouse Monday to file for divorce from her hubby of two-plus years.

Six weeks ago, the couple announced their separation in a press release, saying it was a mutual decision but providing no reason. Today's court papers did little more to explain the split, citing simply irreconcilable differences in the standard-issue petition. They have no children.

Garner, 31, and Foley, 30, have been on opposite career trajectories since their October 2000 nuptials.

After years bouncing around Tinseltown's minor leagues (a stint on the failed Party of Five spinoff, Time of Your Life, and big-screen bombs like Mr. Magoo), she landed her star-making turn as butt-whomping super-spy Sydney Bristow on ABC's Alias. Between magazine covers and roles in little movies like Catch Me If You Can and Daredevil, she has made a charge at Hollywood's A-list.

When they first hooked up--shooting a first-season episode of Felicity in 1998--Foley was the one who seemed destined for that perch. He was already a certified Tiger Beat pinup thanks to the WB show. But Felicity was all buzzed out by last year, and Foley was relegated to family second fiddle. (From the sad coincidence department: His Felicity follow-up, NBC's woeful comedy A.U.S.A., was officially deep-sixed by the network on Monday, the same day the former missus filed for the big D.)

In recent months, Garner had alluded to the difficulty juggling budding superstardom and home life. The there's-trouble-brewing whispering started in earnest in March, when Garner showed up for her presenting stint at the Academy Awards (news - web sites) sans Foley. At a subsequent Los Angeles fundraiser for women's cancer research, Foley attended minus Garner.

She has since been spotted on the party circuit with her Alias costar Michael Vartan (news), but reps insist they're just good friends.

Aside from another season of Alias, which begins shooting this summer, Garner will also slip into the spandex for a planned Daredevil spinoff based on her karate-chopping character Elektra. Foley, meanwhile, will next appear in a Wes Craven (news)-Kevin Williamson (news) werewolf flick called Cursed.

That makes me sad :( I thought they both had more sense than that. I just don't understand how a boosting career can cause marital problems. Why can't the other just be happy for the growing star? :(

That's terrible, poor Jen and Scott. :( But I suppose some things just don't work out the way they're sposed to...

I thought you have to be separated for six months "sort of cooling off period" before you can file for divorce. Must just be different state law.

all im gonna say is that its too bad and that i hope they remain freinds!! i was gonna say something else but i dont want eveyrone to hate me for what i would say!!

Awww, thats sad, shame it didnt work out but I'm sure they both have their reasons for the split. Lets just hope they both find happiness again.

*~Loz~*

guys we don't know what went on behind the scenes you can put on a happy face but it doesn't necessarily mean you are.there was probably something else apart from conflicting careers.

i'm sorry to hear this but it is her decision

ahhh that is soooo freakin' sad!!!! i wish hollywood marriages would last!!! i hate it when things come between people and they are torn apart...too love some one soo much one minute and then not want to be with them...must be hard.

Bondgal2007 said:
It is sad! But hey at least her and MV and can hook up! Lol!
Seriously dude, how messed up is that? I have yet to see how anyone can be happy over a divorce. It makes me kinda sick that people are celebrating this because of the possibilities Jennifer and Michael have now. If it turns out that this happened because of them dating or they start to date immediately, I would lose a great deal of respect for both of them.

Back