Politics Gaza pullout

The army went into to Neve Deckalim settlement this morning to remove protesters holed up in a synagogue. I feel sorry for the settlers being told to up and leave from and place they have built up and known as home for some 30 years. The reality is though that those settlements cannot be justified as that land was grabbed in the 1967 war, not to mention the Palestinians being told to leave what is now Isreal in 1948. People talk about this being a victory for hamas, this is a failiure of two people being able to live alongside each like normal human beings. I hate Hamas and all that they stand for, but Isreal created the situation for hamas to exsist.

The thing I never got about this was

1. Why would you want to live somewhere you likely to get shot when you go out of your front door?

2. Out of everybody in the world, you would have thought the Isreali's would understand the idea of wanting a homeland.

I think it is entirely necessary that Isreal withdraws. It will aid the peace process. I'm not a fan of Sharon but to push this through has taken some guts and while watching the evictions is not comfortable, I think it will aid the process.

i think that it's good for the israeli government to pull out of Gaza. it shows that the israeli and palestinian governments are on the road to diplomacy. while i understand that many jews in gaza now have to move (and very unfortunate for them), it's for the greater good of peace in israel (and palestine). if israel were to kick the palestinians out of their homes, they would have nowhere to go. and the following comment is not meant to offend, but it seems that israel is more likely to welcome their jewish brothers and sisters than the rest of the middle east welcoming exiled muslims from the palestinian territories (especially Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt).

as for the up-swing of anti-semetic killings caused by Muslims in Gaza, us Americans will never understand why they do such a thing because there's way too much history there. go ahead, try to rationalize and think that you can, it's the typical American thing to do to try and be a know-it-all and not accept the fact that we do not know everything about the world and its peoples.

noggi16 said:
The thing I never got about this was

1. Why would you want to live somewhere you likely to get shot when you go out of your front door?

2. Out of everybody in the world, you would have thought the Isreali's would understand the idea of wanting a homeland.

I think it is entirely necessary that Isreal withdraws. It will aid the peace process. I'm not a fan of Sharon but to push this through has taken some guts and while watching the evictions is not comfortable, I think it will aid the process.
[post="1460440"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i agree with all you've said. i don't understand the desire to live in a virtual war zone, and while we're at it, i don't understand why some American Jews identify so greatly with Israel, but i suppose that's a discussion for another time...

This is a wonderful first step in the peace process. To be honest, i never pegged Sharon as one to initiate this, much less support it, but he has, and he's earned my respect. perhaps we are finally on a path to peace between Israel and the Palestinians

I think its defiantly a start. I just hope the Palestine's can handle the security otherwise Isreal will be back in there.

Maybe a task force from an Arab nation should help? or even from anywhere EU taskforce Nato etc.

noggi16 said:
I think its defiantly a start. I just hope the Palestine's can handle the security otherwise Isreal will be back in there.

Maybe a task force from an Arab nation should help? or even from anywhere EU taskforce Nato etc.
[post="1462111"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i think a task force from a western organization would only piss off Hamas, and i get the feeling, and i could be wrong, that the leadership of many Arab nations don't want to deal with the Palestinians. but ideally, yeah, that would be a good idea.

I agree that the Gaza pullout is necessary for peace, but the pictures of people being evicted from their homes are still heartbreaking. I hope the Palestinians and Israelis can feel some compassion for each other now that both groups have experienced the loss of their homes.

i think a task force from a western organization would only piss off Hamas, and i get the feeling, and i could be wrong, that the leadership of many Arab nations don't want to deal with the Palestinians. but ideally, yeah, that would be a good idea.

That may very well be true but the idea of someone supporting them makes sense

Back