GCSEs and A levels

Sabella

Cadet
<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I thought it'd be great to talk about them and what one's were all taking and revision tips and stuff. As we have our mocks in just over a week's time.

I'm doing ~

Double Science
English Lit
English language
Maths
Art
Geography
Business and communication systems
French
ICT
</span>

You have your mocks already?! :hug: Mine start on January 10th... right after Christmas hols :( :(
I'm taking:
Dual Science thingy. Stupid school won't let us do them separately :(
English Lit
English language
Maths
Music
Geography
ICT :thud: (i hate coursework)
Food Tech (i really hate coursework...)
Citizenship (yay! no real coursework!) :D

i kinda gave up Italian last year cos i really disliked the teacher. he taught us verbs, but no vocab! (ie, i can say "I read" but not "I read a book." which is kinda pointless)
i did my french gcse a year early :smiley:

I've done them !!! gah dont envy you one bit, not that i did much studying !!

I did:
Maths (higher)
Double Science
Sociology
French
Graphics
History
English Lit
English Lang

I started a GCSE in statistics but got really bored so i stopped!

they're these exams that you take when you're 16 in the UK.
I think GCSE stands for General Certificate of Secondary Education... :thinking:
pretty much everyone takes them in English, Maths and Science, but there are tons of other subjects (see our lists!) that you can do them in... and the idea is that you revise tons before them, and have no life for about 3 months so you can "prepare correctly". well, thats what i've been told by my teacher. yeah, right. :lol:

Sabella, im glad i dont have mocks in a week! after christmas same as steph. but still im SUPPOSED to have started to revise but no.... subjects im doing are:

Maths
English
Science (double)
Dance
Drama
German
Textiles
History

and we kinda have to do citizenship too... oh yey. i reely wish i hadnt done drama... but i suppose a lot of non academic subjects it kinda easy. Good luck in your mocks btw!

:blink: i did my mocks this time last year! but i'm so glad that i've gotten the GSCEs out of the way now!

i did:

Maths
Statistics
English +English literature
Drama
Science (double)
French
Geography
RE (the school makes everyone do it!)
Textiles

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Thanks everyone, I hope I do well ^_^ Got lots of revision to do, it's not gonna be fun -_- </span>

Sabella, do you do Buisness as a GCSE or as a GNVQ?
I do:
Core Science*
Addditional Science
English Language*
English Lit*
RE and Citizenship*
Maths*
Spanish$
French@
Food Tech
Sociology

*We have to do these.
@I do this as an extra afterschool class.
$Not really a choice, as our school is a 'Language College' so everyone must do either Spanish/German/Turkish/Arabic/Bengali at KS4.

So we only got three choices.
I also would have liked to do:
ICT
Textiles
Graphics
Media
Geography(I was gonna do this at home, but as soon as year 10 started, I knew it would be too much work.)
cute_as_candy said:
Food Tech (i really hate coursework...)
[post="1069789"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Tell me about it!!! What is your project? I'm doing Childrens snacks and party foods. I have done NO coursework in best yet. I am so behind 'cause I was doing Product design, and quit about a year ago to do Food. But our real teacher is pregnant, and we have this really annoying one, who looks over your shoulder when your cooking, and calls everyone "Young miss".

Syd_Vaughn 4ver said:
RE (the school makes everyone do it!)
[post="1070152"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yup, same here, but it's a 1/2 a GCSE.

And we have our mocks in Jan. But Languages and Sciences at our school are modular, so we have our real Spanish and French tests in December, and our real Science tests, and re-sits for the ones we did last year in Janurary.

Jai

<!--QuoteBegin-m<o>j+Nov 21 2004, 08:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(m<o>j @ Nov 21 2004, 08:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->$Not really a choice, as our school is a 'Language College' so everyone must do either Spanish/German/Turkish/Arabic/Bengali at KS4.

Tell me about it!!! What is your project? I'm doing Childrens snacks and party foods. I have done NO coursework in best yet. I am so behind 'cause I was doing Product design, and quit about a year ago to do Food. But our real teacher is pregnant, and we have this really annoying one, who looks over your shoulder when your cooking, and calls everyone "Young miss".

Jai
[post="1075091"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
[/quote]
i go to a "language college". it only got that status a coupla years ago... the only difference i noticed was that we have to work harder in languages, and they have better computers now! :lol: they fold into the desk!! its really cool... makes me feel all Alias-y. :laughbounce:
my project for food tech is healthy(ish) biscuits for teenagers, suitable for snack.packed lunch. oh the joy. :rolleyes:

cute_as_candy said:
i go to a "language college". it only got that status a coupla years ago... the only difference i noticed was that we have to work harder in languages, and they have better computers now! :lol: they fold into the desk!! its really cool... makes me feel all Alias-y. :laughbounce:
my project for food tech is healthy(ish) biscuits for teenagers, suitable for snack.packed lunch. oh the joy. :rolleyes:
[post="1075203"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Oh, see our school has been a language college for years...but we don't have cool computers yet. We did get a cool new Learning Resources Building a couple of years ago, with loadsa computers...and I was suprised to see it in the Open House booklet. Yuh, I was like "Mum, my school's in the booklet!!!"
Off Topic. We didn't do any of the Open House things this year, we normally do at least one, but we were doing other things that weekend. It used to be cool when we were little though, cause ther were little architective badges and pencils and stuff. :smiley: /Off Topicness.

Jai

Ooooh, nice grades Jems!
Um, can anyone explain to me what Double Science is, and how it works, 'cause our school is doing some wierd pilot thing in Science.
Jai

i forgot to add my grades, eh not as good as jems but im at uni so i must be doing something right!!

Maths (higher) B
Double Science BB
Sociology A
French B
Graphics C
History B
English Lit C
English Lang B

I think its been a long time since i thought about my GCSE's

Oooh, nice ones there as well! I know I'm going to fail something. I don't think it'l be English or Core Science, as I'm doing okay there, but I think it'll be something to do with coursework. So the most likely candidates are Spanish, Food Tech and Sociology. I do better in tests than with coursework.

As for revision, I hate it; I often do worse if I revise, 'cause the revision makes me worry, and that makes me do worse. But obviously I can't not revise for my GCSEs.

Jai

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Double science is getting two gcses in science between all three types, chemistry, physics and biology

Jai have you already taken your mocks? You in yr 10 or 11???

I've got less than a week now -_- mocks start next monday for me :(

Business and communication systems isn't just business, it's like business and IT together and it is a GCSE and not a GNVQ, I'm not doing any of those, anyone decided which sixth form to go to yet and what you're gonna take???
</span>

GCSE's seem bad now but when u get to college ull be wondering what u were complaining about!! Trust me A Levels are a lot harder, i worked harder in my first year of college then i am now at uni :blink:

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I don't think GCSEs are that hard :smiley: It depends on the subject and what you're like at it ^_^ </span>

yeah, i'm dreading next year!!!

Sabella, i'm thinking of doing English (Lit & Lang), Biology, Music, Pyschology and General Studies next year... have you decided yet?

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I think I'm gonna do Art, Gepgraphy and computing A level, and Photography AS level but I don't know and I'm stuck between two sixth from places and I'm gonna apply to both and make up my mind later :smiley: </span>

Back