Gender neutral stage

caters

Ensign
My Kepler Bb humanoids which are a species I made to be Human version 2.0, have development that is different from ours. There are actually 2 different timelines. 1 of them has to do with gender determination and the other has to do with developmental milestones.

For developmental milestones, they have the same number of years for the first 2(infant and toddler) but their years are longer than ours. Much longer in fact. About 8 times longer. Their day is longer also but not near 8 times longer. Childhood for them goes from 3 years to 15 years. Adolescence is 15 years to 25 years. Then there is a 1 year period between adolescence and adulthood.

With gender determination, there are 2 stages. Gender neutral and known gender. The gender neutral stage goes from conception, through the whole pregnancy, and all the way until the child's 5th birthday. Then the child starts to show signs that it is male or female and thus the parents know whether it is a boy or a girl at 5 years. A doctor might know right at birth from medical imaging the gender of the child but the parents won't know until the child is 5 years old.

Male development

In children who are internally male but are externally gender neutral, there are 2 urethras, a primary and a secondary. 1 of them is in the little nub while the other is further back and goes straight down from the bladder. Because the nub is not a penis yet, there isn't the characteristic spray of urine like there is in male human babies, it just flows out. The testicles, along with the rest of the male reproductive organs are in the abdomen at this point. There is no need for them to descend yet so they don't.

Once the child turns 5 years old, a small surge of testosterone changes everything about the urethras and testicles. This increase in testosterone causes the straight urethra to die off and the testicles to physiologically herniate out of the abdomen and the skin to stretch around the hernia to form the scrotum. The nub also grows into a penis.

Female development

In children who are internally female but externally gender neutral, they basically look the same as those that are internally male but externally gender neutral. However, an abdominal scan for medical purposes will show for certain what gender the child is before it becomes visible to the naked eye.

Once the child turns 5 years old, the testosterone levels stay low and estrogen rises. This increased estrogen causes the nub to stay about the same size and become the clitoris as well as causes the urethra within the nub to die off. The skin and muscle that originally covered the vagina also dies off at this point while other areas of skin and muscle right around it stretch to form the labia minora and the labia majora.

What should I call this gender neutral stage before 5 years? I mean, yes, if I write about how Kepler Bb humanoids develop, I would certainly use externally gender neutral to describe this stage and then just refer to the stage as whatever I decide to call it. Any ideas as to what I should call this stage when gender can only be known via medical imaging of the abdomen?

Why not create a robot that is gender neutral, less muss, less fuss, you can later programme a gender if you like. My 2 cents.....
tumblr_lxw28uj8KO1rnq3i2o1_500.gif

But, that is not at all realistic for a species. Reproducing robots, especially sexually reproducing robots, are impractical for sci fi and in real life, impossible. It would require that there be a combination of DNA and computer code inside every cell and that every cell has a membrane of metal. And it would require that the computer code would be able to replicate like DNA. That is simply too unrealistic, even for sci-fi.

And given that my Kepler Bb humanoids are basically Human Version 2.0, there would be very little if any change in cellular biology and the main changes would be in anatomy. In fact, there are a whole spectrum of changes from doubling of an entire organ system to no anatomical change, just physiological.

There is only 1 system that is completely doubled. That is the circulatory system.

In other systems there is doubling of certain organs. Here are those systems and the corresponding doubled organs:

• Digestive system and stomach
  • Female reproductive system and ovaries
  • Urinary system and temporary doubling of the urethra
In other systems there is just enlargement and tiny anatomical changes. 1 example of that is the respiratory system.

In 1 organ system, there is the addition of a totally different organ. That would be the endocrine system and its added protein storage organ and 2 hormones, 1 for storage of excess protein and 1 for release of protein to heal an injury. And of the injuries that can cause PRH(protein releasing hormone) to be released, the one that causes the most release of PRH is a severe muscle injury.

In other organ systems still, there is no anatomical change, just physiological change. 1 of those is the integumentary system(skin, hair, and nails).

So because most of the change is in anatomy and physiology, it makes sense that the transition between gender neutral and externally defined gender is also anatomic and physiological, involving a rise in testosterone in males and a rise in estrogen in females. These though are small compared to the rise that occurs during adolescence, too small to trigger changes related to sexual maturity.

What should I call this gender neutral stage before 5 years? I mean, yes, if I write about how Kepler Bb humanoids develop, I would certainly use externally gender neutral to describe this stage and then just refer to the stage as whatever I decide to call it. Any ideas as to what I should call this stage when gender can only be known via medical imaging of the abdomen?
Ulks
Pupas
Nulls
Prems
Reproducing robots, especially sexually reproducing robots, are impractical for sci fi and in real life, impossible. It would require that there be a combination of DNA and computer code inside every cell and that every cell has a membrane of metal. And it would require that the computer code would be able to replicate like DNA. That is simply too unrealistic, even for sci-fi.
Not necessarily. Nanotechnology could create a reproducing synthetic lifeform using organic structure with AI code. Read Engines of Creation - K. Eric Drexler

given that my Kepler Bb humanoids are basically Human Version 2.0, there would be very little if any change in cellular biology and the main changes would be in anatomy.
So instead of changing the cellular biology you want to change the active components, kinda like opposite to us losing our tails? I'm curious how doubling organs does not change cellular biology? I was under the impression that the construction and number of features of an organism is directly related to the cellular biology present in the DNA code. We have two eyes and one nose because our DNA dictates it. A genetic mutation can result in multiple features like two heads or two mouths which is because the genetic biology of the DNA is different. To get a doubling of internal organs there will be a need for multiple changes to the DNA code for many systems. Two hearts changes the circulatory system and all the systems related to it including bone structure and nervous systems. While I find the idea fascinating I disagree with your thinking that there will be no significant change in cellular biology. It would create major changes in cellular biology.
So because most of the change is in anatomy and physiology
Why would you call them Human 2.0? Is it because you want them to resemble humans in appearance yet have distinct differences? Will there be a plot device concerning someone not being able to tell the species apart?

In the future there will be a species that was once human but has changed. Evolution assures that. As a species, we may even have a hand in that evolution. While some fragments of human DNA may still exist, the features will change. Some cause will be needed to give reason for a doubling of organs. Some cause will be needed to change puberty and sexual development. Mutations occur naturally over generations.
If these changes are fabricated from implied necessity of environmental changes of a different planet that result will not be Human 2.0 but a construct that only resembles human's appearance. Problem is, with the changes you are implying, the resulting life form will not even resemble a human. Internal changes will change outward appearances.

Even if the only change is to double the circulatory system it will change the human form significantly.
It will change how the blood carries oxygen to the cells. Imagine doubling just the capillaries. Now you have twice the structure delivering twice the blood. Twice the blood requires more area of lung to oxygenate more blood and requires more kidney for filtration. All that stuff takes up space in the body. Those extra organs need bone to protect them and more muscle to hold them in place. With larger lungs, there will need to be a way to get more air into them son now the mouth and nostrils must become larger. All this is controlled by the brain. With more synapse firing there will need to be more axons and dendrites which also take up space. Now it has a bigger head requiring more muscles and bone to support its increased size.
With increased size and a change of equilibrium the ear will need to change as well as the feet and reflex system.

While a Human 2.0 would be inaccurate in my opinion, an alien species with these features would be interesting especially if it is humanoid in appearance. I imagine they would be bigger than humans with a blueish hue and would bleed purple or burgundy blood. Due to the increased oxygen. They may have small eyes compared to their heads but those eyes will be set a bit further apart in their wide skull.

I love science fiction that explores evolutionary changes in the human body. There are logical and illogical examples worthy of reading.
Have a look at Welcome to the Orion's Arm Universe Project
It is a Hard Science Fiction scenario set in the future, quite extensive.
Encyclopedia Galactica said:
There are four main cultural divisions in the Orion's Arm region known as the Terragen Sphere: Sephirotics, civilizations that are guided or ruled by transapients that seem to act in the interests of humans and other ordinary sophonts; Ahumans, civilizations ruled by transapients that are indifferent or even hostile to humans and other lesser beings; Nonaligned, signifying civilizations that are neither clearly Ahuman nor Sephirotic, and may be ruled by lower level transapients or even by ordinary sophonts, and finally the Xenosophonts, a diverse group ranging from ancient and powerful civilizations that may surpass anything Terragen to subsophont beings that live in some equivalent of Old Earth's Paleolithic; the only thing the xenosophonts have in common is that they exist within the Terragen sphere but are not descended from or provolved by Terragens. There are also some common organizations or treaties to which any civilization might belong.

Mindkind - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Generic clade-neutral Anglic term for all intelligent (sophont) beings, regardless of nature or origin.
Terragen - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Any biont, ai, or any other entity, clade, species, or group that either originated on Earth or, more generally, can trace eir ultimate origin and ancestry back to Earth; or any civilization, empire, polity or organization created or maintained by terragen sentients.

You do know biologically speaking that is NOT the way it happens at least for the races on this planet. Now you could create a genetic altered race, but what benefit would that give a race. My guess would be that over half of the race would remain Neutral and an small number would become one sex or the other. That race would be stuck in a growing smaller reproductive cycle. Now if they started to grow clones, then they would end up with more and more Neutral copies and would further help to end that race. Most likely that is what is destroying the Greys. As you pointed out, a female member of your race would need to grow specific biological parts to be able to create and birth a living member of their race. I would guess in looking at your race that 65% would be Neutral, 25% male, and only 10% female. I would have to guess as well that out of the male/female sex members that most likely over 50% of them can not reproduce at all. Clones would help the numbers, but over time it would greatly end the race as eventually you would only have clones left. Then eventually some of the genetic possibilities traits would be lost.

Just came across this:
Peaks of solar cycles affect the gender ratio - ScienceDirect
Peaks of solar cycles affect the gender ratio
George E.Davis Walter E.Lowell
[URL="https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2008.07.020"]Redirecting
[/URL]
[URL='https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2008.07.020'][/URL]
Summary
In this study, we report that the gender ratio (GR) at death [where GR = (Nmales/Nmales + Nfemales)] of those born (and likely conceived) in solar cycle peaks (about a 3-year period occurring on average every ∼11 years), is inversely related to mean male age at death; e.g., the higher the GRat death the lower the mean lifespan, while the GRat death of those born in non-peak years has no relation to mean male lifespan. Although changes in the GR are small and may be of little clinical significance, the GR is a sensitive indicator of environmental effects, and therefore is pertinent to epigenetics. This paper supports the hypothesis that solar radiation, probably in the ultraviolet spectrum, by some manner interacts with chromosomal DNA (genes) and produces the genetic variety that not only fosters adaptation, but also produces the diseases that reduce lifespan. This paper also proposes that sunlight is more effective in modifying genomes at the time of conception than later in gestation or infancy. Referring to the work of others, this study also reveals that geographic latitude also affects the GR, suggesting that the variation in light is probably as important as the intensity of light in modifying genomes. This study finds that men sustain more genetic variation, producing 28% more disease than women, as well as a 2% decrease in GR from birth to death, and a shorter life (in Maine) by 7 years.

This could be a basis for your gender neutral to gender stage activation sequences. Exposing different gender neutrals to different light to produce a gender heavy population to direct population requirements on your ship.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987708003447#!

Let me point out that my father was one of 8 siblings. They were 7 brothers and 1 sister. He was the baby of the family and each one of his brothers and sister all died in their 76 year. My father was the last and he too died at age 76. I do not know the ages that his parents died at, but I do believe they out-lived their parents. I know my own mom died at age 88 and she lived longer than her parents. It has been said that on a average one lives to be about a average of your own, so for my father died at 76 and mom at 88, I should live to be 82.

Back