Sci-Fi Geostorm (2017)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Geostorm

Tagline: Some things were never meant to be controlled.

Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Dean Devlin

Cast: Gerard Butler, Alexandra Maria Lara, Jim Sturgess, Abbie Cornish, Ed Harris, Andy García, Zazie Beetz, Eugenio Derbez, Robert Sheehan, David S. Lee, Talitha Bateman, Daniel Wu, Adepero Oduye, Amr Waked, Richard Schiff, Billy Slaughter, Tom Choi, Mare Winningham, Daniella Garcia-Lorido, Ritchie Montgomery, Judd Lormand, Corey Mendell Parker, Catherine Ashton, Arnold Chun, Randall Newsome, Sean Paul Braud, Anastasiya Rul, Julia Denton, Carlos Antonio, Joe Drago, Douglas M. Griffin, Blake Burt, Derek Roberts, Randy Havens, Thomas Burke, Edgar Leza, Ricardo Vargas

Release: 2017-10-13

Runtime: 109

Plot: After an unprecedented series of natural disasters threatened the planet, the world's leaders came together to create an intricate network of satellites to control the global climate and keep everyone safe. But now, something has gone wrong: the system built to protect Earth is attacking it, and it becomes a race against the clock to uncover the real threat before a worldwide geostorm wipes out everything and everyone along with it.
Geostorm (2017)

My sister loves these kinds of movies and will be likely dragging Mrs. Kevin with her to go see this one while it's playing; they like going to Movie Tavern for watching flicks.

I still don't get though how the heck this ended up being released in theaters instead of it being a SyFy movie of the week?! :o_O:

I was really looking forward to seeing this so I watched it the other night.
Definately not impressed.
Figured I'd watch it again so I just finished my second watch.
Wasn't any better.
Guess I need to stop looking forward to movies.

I liked the little girl at her dad's place at the beginning of the film but didn't care for her other parts.
The best one I liked was the secret service fiance except during the car chase gun play.

It opens in 2018 (a year from now).
The infrastucture and construction requirements, even with the entire world helping, could not be done in such a short time span. The NASA launch site would take decades to build and equip.
It was very hard for me to wrap my head into a three year turnover.
The massive megaproject just couldn't be accomplished in such a short time frame.

Then, if you can just dismiss the scientific plausibility, the motivating plot and immature writing of the reason for the geostorm threat was laughable at best.

Last but not least, the disaster effects were cheap and insignificant. I mean, its supposed to be a disaster film not a film that is a disaster.

This was far below 2012 and San Andreas. Just barely above a syfy original for cheap bad movies.
My Rating: 2 out of 5

This has hit Cinemax so I got around to watching it today.

I stand by my earlier ponderment of how this ended up with theater release instead of being a SyFy disaster-movie-of-the-week movie. Dean Devlin seems to have a total-hit-or-total-miss when it comes to his movies and this one I'll put in the miss column.
The infrastucture and construction requirements, even with the entire world helping, could not be done in such a short time span. The NASA launch site would take decades to build and equip.
It was very hard for me to wrap my head into a three year turnover.
The massive megaproject just couldn't be accomplished in such a short time frame.
Not to mention that this was released in 2017 and the NASA space shuttle program was shut down in 2011; if they were going to throw realism out the window they could have at least come up with an original unique design for their ships instead of just adding curved wing tips to the shuttle. Since this was supposed to be a huge international effort it would've been interesting seeing what other nations were using to get their crews to the station (ISS #4 no less).