Getting Ready?

No I hadn't. I'll post the comment here, to comment on:

The thing about Suwari is: We've known for quite a while that they weren't going to be at launch. We just couldn't TELL you at the time. There's tons of things I know and can't tell you.

Either way, no matter how long it may take (although the reasons for taking longer have been mentioned many times) I myself am sure that HJ will wrap up into a gorgeous fun package.

No game is perfect, and HJ won't be either, but it will be as close as we can make it.

The first thought that comes to mind is "why" we couldn't be told this? Prolonging news like that serves no good purpose, in the long run. Which isn't to say that every tidbit about the game, or every time a developer scratches his/her butt is newsworthy, either. I know that. But nerfing a race that has featured pretty heavily in the pre-beta lead up was (i) pretty surprising for most people; (ii) disappointing to those who were looking at playing Suwari and already building RP backgrounds on one (and, by the way, what are their options now? Play a "filler" character for a few months/years until Suwari appear, then get the chance to play that character?); and (iii) confusing to people like me, who are left thinking, "You've been working on this for years and years and years and years... and now you decide you can't do it? How does that work?" It's kinda like developing a car for eight years, then realising you can't fit seats inside it, or something. ie: something that, IMHO, should have been detected a lot earlier. And, working from Diviana's new comment, maybe it was detected earlier, but as it wasn't communicated to the community and/or the gaming media earlier, it has simply served to create another layer of FUD on a game which, through it's eight year development history thus far, already had a fair amount of FUD flying around it within the games watching industry.

In relation to Diviana, that would be true.

In relation to the game as a whole? Nope. There are people who could comment. The point stands.

Well. I think you'll be ok.

Learn code; go help, if it bothers you to that extent.

Other than that... patience my young Padawan.

Coding isn't my expertise.

In past threads, however, I have used my PR experience to outline a simple to achieve PR program, using existing resources and personnel, which would not only keep the press up to date with the game, but which would also avoid FUD being spread about the game.

For a game in HJ's position, it's FUD that will cause it the most damage, pre-launch and certainly pre-beta. I still hold onto the theory that beta might be able to turn it around, though.

Since I obviously think your point is baseless do tell me how you feel about WAR's entire game delay:

"What it boiled down to was the fact that our earlier work on the Dwarf and Greenskin pairing was not as evocative as we believed it could be. We have always said that Warhammer Online was going to be great and we will not settle for anything less.

The original Dwarf and Greenskin areas played well, but the team has learned a lot since starting work on the game. We all believed that those areas could be made even better so they went back to this pairing, conducted an intense review of their work, and implemented new ideas and content. What has emerged from this is nothing short of spectacular." - Mark Jacobs

The reason the information was held back was because there were hopes that they would have enough manpower to devote to it. You were told after they realized it would be better to move on and work on other things, and save it for the expansion.

Everything we do is done with reason. It was realized that the players would be upset, and it was delayed until we were sure that it most likely wouldn't get done in time.

Also I wanted to note that the "doubling in size" comment wasn't meant as off-site team members, but on-site.
They're always hiring new off-site.

Since I obviously think your point is baseless...

What a lovely way with words you have.

Look, on the topic of Warhammer, it's not a title I have been following, so I can't propose to speak about it with any certainty or extensive knowledge. What I can say, however, is that it's perhaps unsurprising that they are still tweaking things like this because so many people have had their fingers stuck in the pie, over the years (I know that much about its development), that development has probably been a bit schizophrenic and produced some unfavourable results. Seems to be a perfectly normal situation to me. *shrug*

I would suggest that HJ is different, insofar as the same company has held the reins the entire time. I mean it really could have got the game out by now (again, I point to the indie company which started three years after HJ, yet has built Pirates of the Burning Sea in the meantime), and could be building on it. Because, ultimately, that's all that will be happening anyway. Not all the features will be in the final release. Not all the races will be in it. Etc, etc. So the game is effectively going to be a work in progress.

And that is something I still can't get my head around. Namely, how Simu can talk up the game, the features, the races, the classes, etc, and be telling people back in 2004 that the game's about 10 months away... and here we are, halfway through 2007, and there's not even any sign of beta testing yet? And yet folk like yourself, Thaos, seem to have a problem when I point these things out? I know the truth hurts but, you know, this is the reality of the situation. You can spin it how you want, but the dates really don't lie.

Back