Ghost Whisperer

V

verdantheart

Starting a thread for those interested in this series. :smiley:

From Sci Fi Wire:

Ghost Whisperer Gets Real

John Gray, creator and executive producer of CBS' upcoming supernatural series Ghost Whisperer, told SCI FI Wire that the show is based on real events. Honest.

"To a large extent, yes," Gray said in an interview at a CBS premiere party in Hollywood last week. He said the show takes its inspiration in part from the purported experiences of self-described psychic James Van Praagh, who gets a co-executive producer credit. "There are people who James knows who claim to be able to do this kind of thing, communicate with what they call earthbound spirits," Gray said. "People who are stuck here because they have unfinished business with the living. And there are people who help them get that closure, help the living who need closure, and then they're able to cross over. That's sort of our premise."

Ghost Whisperer stars Jennifer Love Hewitt as newlywed Melinda Gordon, who discovers an ability to commune with troubled spirits still walking around after they die. She helps them achieve emotional closure and move on.

Gray added that he feels the show speaks to widespread anxieties in a post-9/11, post-Katrina time. "I really believe that's true," he said. "I think particularly in a post-9/11 world, people seem to be more interested in the idea that there's something else out there, that there's hope. That there's more ... than meets the eye. So, yeah, I definitely think that there is this appetite for it. And you can see it in all the supernatural shows that are coming on the air and all the supernatural movies that are big hits in their opening weekends." Ghost Whisperer premieres Sept. 23 and will air Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

So far, the episodes I've seen have been really good - Jennifer Love Hewitt was what attracted me to Ghost Whisperer in the first place, but the stories have been riveting, as well as touching and moving - especially when Melinda helps the ghosts cross over to the afterlife while helping their loved ones find closure and to say goodbye (how many of us who've seen the show have felt for Melinda each time she cries in those scenes near the end of each episode?).

It would also explain why GW has become the top-rated show in its time period on CBS (and CTV in Canada), as well as one of the top shows on Friday nights - those who watch feel about it as I do (for the most part), that it has good, moving stories and an attractive, adorable and talented lead in JLH.

I am really interested in that one. I love any shows that have to do with ghosts and the paranormal. It is very interesting to me, and it scares me so much!

Jumping forward a few years eventually leads to writer confusion with the time line. Alias had a 3 year jump-ahead involving main character Sydney Bristow's life.

Desperate Housewives had a 5 year (?) jump-ahead to give Gabby and Carlos 2 daughters. It also got rid of Susan's live-in daughter. I don't know if it has caused problems with the time line or not.

So the new season of Ghost Whisperer is going to jump ahead 5 years. Thoughts?

I wasn't even aware that this was going to happen, but it will make for an interesting twist in the storyline.

Meanwhile, starting on August 31, CBC Television in Canada began carrying reruns of Ghost Whisperer from the beginning, at 4 p.m. and midnight local time, so that will give Canadian fans who don't already own the show DVDs a chance to see the early episodes again.

Back