Comedy Ghostbusters (1984)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Ghostbusters

Tagline: They ain't afraid of no ghost.

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy

Director: Ivan Reitman

Cast: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Annie Potts, William Atherton, Ernie Hudson, David Margulies, Steven Tash, Jennifer Runyon, Slavitza Jovan, Michael Ensign, Alice Drummond, Jordan Charney, Timothy Carhart, John Rothman, Tom McDermott, Roger Grimsby, Larry King, Joe Franklin, Casey Kasem, John Ring, Norman Matlock, Joe Cirillo, Joe Schmieg, Reginald VelJohnson, Rhoda Gemignani, Murray Rubin, Larry Dilg, Danny Stone, Patty Dworkin, Jean Kasem, Lenny Del Genio, Frances E. Nealy, Sam Moses, Christopher Wynkoop, Winston May, Tommy Hollis, Eda Reiss Merin, Ric Mancini, Kathryn Janssen, Stanley Grover, Carol Ann Henry, James Hardie, Frantz Turner, Nancy Kelly, Paul Trafas, Cheryl Birchenfield, Ruth Oliver, Kymberly Herrin, Murray Bandel, Larry Bilzarian, Billy Bryan, Matteo Cafiso, Larry Chain, Frankie Como, Peter Costanza, James 'Hotfeet' Davis, John De Bello, Paddi Edwards, Eldo Ray Estes, Brute Force, Debbie Gibson, Willow Hale, Jon Hayden, Ron Jeremy, Joseph Marzano, Joe Medjuck, Danny Nero, Frank Patton III, Harrison Ray, Ivan Reitman, Frank Rivers, Mario Todisco, Bill Walton, Manny Weltman, Mark Bryan Wilson

Release: 1984-06-08

Runtime: 107

Plot: After losing their academic posts at a prestigious university, a team of parapsychologists goes into business as proton-pack-toting "ghostbusters" who exterminate ghouls, hobgoblins and supernatural pests of all stripes. An ad campaign pays off when a knockout cellist hires the squad to purge her swanky digs of demons that appear to be living in her refrigerator.
Ghostbusters (1984)

Sony has announced that for the 30th anniversary of the original Ghostbusters that they will be showing a restored & remastered version in theaters this August! :eek: It will be a "limited engagement" which means most of us won't have a chance to see it. :(

The relaunch is part of the September planned release of "anniversary editions" of the movie on Blu-ray.

Below is the original trailer. Even though it is released by Sony it looks like somebody held a video camera up to a TV playing the movie on VHS and then converted the video camera tape to digital to upload it to YouTube. :LOL: To get an idea of what the new version will look like, below is also a video showing the original 2009 Blu-ray version versus the 2013 Blu-Ray version.

Woohoo! Mrs. Kevin & I are heading out to the theater tonight to see Ghostbusters on the big (really, really big!) screen! :cool:

:slimer:

They were playing this in Columbus but I didn't get a chance to go - sad really, I'd love to see a childhood favorite on the big screen. I find that I appreciate it more now that I'm older and not just "waiting for the 'stay puft' marshmallow man to show up."

I only have an old VHS recording of Ghostbusters.
Guess this would be a good time to get a real copy.

Remember not being a big fan of Ghosbusters when it was released.
It was such a massive promotional machine that kicked in and that just put me off.

Here in Sweden we hadn't really seen such big promotion for a movie before.
It was a new thing and I didn't like it.

So it took me a while before I get to see it.
Turned out that the movie was great though... :P

/SK

I heard a rumour awhile back (Remember, it's a rumour), that there is a technology that will allow any film to be re-edited into a psuedo 3d. I'm not sure where that technology stands but it would be nice to see some old favorites like this being 3d treated and rereleased to the theaters.
I hope You & The Mrs did the full-on theater experience with refreshments, making out & a nice after movie resturant or pub.
When I think GhostBusters - I immediately hear that disturbing siren. LOL

Seeing it on the giant screen (Regal cinema's "RPX", their version of Imax) was pretty fun. :cool:

We went to the 9:50PM showing so the place was empty except for three couples. It was a bit of a strange experience though.

When we go the theater the lobby was empty except for another couple at the concession stand. They were both short, about 5' in height at the max. By contrast I'm a few MM short of 6'3" and my wife is about 5'5". After waiting behind them for them for a few minutes they stepped aside and told us to order first. Um... OK. After grabbing some snacks (Icee!) we made our way to the right room and found out we were the first there. Excellent, so we grabbed some seats on the second level in the exact center and made ourselves comfortable. After about 10 minutes the couple from the lobby enters and they immediately go straight to the seats literally behind my wife & I. WTF? :wtf:

The place was huge with stadium style seating, easily a few hundred seats, and they chose those seats?! The seats my wife & chose were at the front of the second level so we got the seats with the metal railing in front of us instead of another row of seats; between that and the nice reclining leather seats that allowed me to relax a bit instead of feeling like I was stuffed in like usual. Before the movie starts I'm relaxed and slouched down a bit. As the previews start I then sit up straight. Next thing I hear is the woman behind me mumbling something and moving down a few seats.

Seriously? She saw how tall I was before and she still chose to sit behind me in an empty theater so she is going to grumble because I sat up?! :thinking: A few minutes later another couple comes and wisely chose a row several back near the exact top of the seating. So, yeah, a huge empty room with only three couples and one of them chose to sit directly behind another. Odd.

Anyway, except for the odd seating choices, the movie was an absolute joy to see on the huge screen with blasting surround sound. Even though I've seen the movie dozens of times to the point of having whole scenes of dialog memorized it was fun watching it because on a screen that big you notice little things in the background that may not have been obvious when watching it on a TV such as all of the places where "Stay-Puft" marshmallows references are shown. And, of course, all of the '80s music! :D It was like having a flashback to 1983 and being in school out on a date.

I am so tempted to hang a few of these flyers up on the public bulletin boards around town! :LOL:

Maybe around Halloween time. :D

1683331446012.png

1984?
555?
I think most people, if they even stopped to read it would just think some dweeb posted it.

There was a Ghostbusters cameo in 1995's Casper with Dan Akroyd?! 🤔 And Father Guido Sarducci from SNL? How did I not know this?! 😲