GHOSTS

lenafan

Cadet
Here’s the first part of a story about Irina and Jack. It certainly will make sense if you have read The Legacy first. If not, then know that Irina as Laura has been living with Jack happily in Hawaii.
Thanks to JJ for some wonderful characters and all his writers for giving all Alias fans the fits! :rolleyes:
Enjoy your feedback.

GHOSTS

THE CAPTURE

PARIS
Vaughn had come to Paris in response to Sydney’s request to see him. Grigor had driven him to the hotel and gone with him up to the room. Sydney had run into his arms as soon as he entered. The bodyguard had quickly and quietly shut the door.

After the first long hungry kiss, they stood together holding each other tightly, afraid to let go. Sydney rested her head on his shoulder, feeling his warmth. His hands were on her back, pressing her against him. Then he released her a little so he could look into her face.

“Syd, I’ve missed you so much! When your mother took you that day in Tuscany…”

“She saved my life, Vaughn!”

He swallowed, “Yes, I know. We figured out Sloane had done something to you.” He kissed her lightly. “Anyway, we thought you would be sent home…” He hesitated. “Sydney, I’ve missed you so much I haven’t been of any use at the office. I thought about resigning.” He picked her up and put her on the bed.

She kissed him, “I need you, Michael."

He grinned, looking down at her. “You called me Michael?”
“Ummm, so I did.”

The next morning Vaughn stood looking in the mirror as he shaved. He was reliving the night before. It had been an incredible night of loving. She was amazing. If he hadn’t missed her so much, he’d almost wait six months before seeing her again. No, he loved her and wanted her with him all the time.

He frowned. There was something different about her now. Something he was trying to put a finger on, but wasn’t quite able to yet. He stood with the razor in his hand, staring, trying to figure her out. What was it? There was a new toughness about her. She seemed so much more assured, so much more focused on what? He tried to remember what she had told him between their love making. And she spoke with a slight accent too! She did say she had spent most of 00000000the last six months in Russia.

He put the razor to his beard, his blue eyes crinkling at the corners as he tried to remember what she told him. Money? Lots of it? He had been sleepy when she talked to him about Irina’s death. He really could have cared less. Let her be dead and out of his life. Then he stopped and he shivered. Sydney had told him he had to talk to her about her mother and his feelings about her. She had been so positive that he knew he could not stall anymore.

Minutes later he was dressed and walking out to the sitting room of her suite. He could see the sun was shining. “What a beautiful day,” he said, coming up to her and kissing her lightly. “You were amazing last night!”

She grinned that great Sydney smile. “You weren’t so bad yourself.”

“What say we go out for a brioche and café au lait?”

“All right, but Grigor will be close by!”

He was surprised. “That big oaf!” Oh, oh he thought wrong word. “Why do you need a bodyguard when you have me.”

She laughed. “He is kind of big, but I promise you he won’t bother us, because we’ll converse in French!”

So a half-hour later, the two young lovers walked hand in hand toward an outdoor restaurant. They sat down and Grigor took a seat behind them. Sydney looked at the big man fondly. “Whatever you want, Grigor!” she said in Russian. He told her. When the waiter came, she ordered for him. Vaughn ordered for the two of them.
Sydney stared at her lover over the rim of her cup. She was trying to decide what his mood was. Vaughn was looking at her with a man’s appreciation. She was more beautiful than her mother, he thought. She was dressed in a much more subdued fashion than he was used to seeing. She was, he thought, wearing power clothes.

“You wanted to talk about your mother,” he started in his perfect French.

“Yes,” she said quietly. “More specifically, I would think that after Tuscany your attitude would have softened. I also want to know specifically what you know about your father’s death…”

“Assassination,” he said abruptly.

“Tell me!” She demanded.

“First of all, about Tuscany…I probably would give her a hug for saving your life, but I still harbor a hatred for what she did to my father and my family.”

“And how did he die?”

“He took a bullet to the back of his head. It blew off most of his face.” He swallowed. “Before that happened, he had been tortured. Almost every bone in his arms, hands, feet, legs, and ribs were broken. His body was a mass of bruises where he had been kicked. When they did an autopsy on him, there was massive internal bleeding from a ruptured spleen and liver. He did not die easy.”

“How do you and the CIA know mother did this?”

He pulled out his wallet. “I’ve kept this ever since the Agency gave it to me.” He handed her a photo. “They found it on his body.”

Sydney froze. It was a grainy picture, but it was her mother firing into the back of Bill Vaughn’s head. “Still, why do you think she had anything to do with the torture?”

He sighed, “it stands to reason she would…"

Suddenly a very large hand reached in and took the photo from Sydney. “Where this come from?” said Grigor, his voice angry.

Vaughn was going to grab it back, but Sydney put her hand on his. “Wait,” she warned. Then in Russian, “I believe Mr. Vaughn was given this by the CIA when they recovered his father’s body.”

Grigor stared at it. “Not good for Irina. Bad time then, very bad.” He gave the picture back to Vaughn.

“What does he know about it,” asked Vaughn?

“I think he was a guard.”

Vaughn turned to look at the big man, but Grigor was gone. “Maybe he knows something.”

“He’s in love, no, was in love with mother. He’s been devoted to her since she was released from that prison.” Sydney looked at the picture, trying to visualize the moment of Bill Vaughn’s death.

“So,” she continued, “based on the picture, you believe mother was behind the torture, that she participated in doing this to your father?”

“Pictures don’t lie,” he said stubbornly.

“And sometimes,” she said thoughtfully, “they don’t tell the complete story.”

HAWAII
Jack and Laura were on the patio. He was reading and she was gardening on her knees, hands deep into the rich volcanic soil. The area around the patio had benefited from her constant puttering. It was filled with lush flowers and plants. The air was filled with scents of gardenia, ginger and many others associated with Hawaii. Jack enjoyed the patio more than ever.

She stood up. “I’m going in to fix dinner. Want something to drink?”

“No, I’m fine.”

A few minutes later she called to him. “Jack, I need something from the store. Would you get it for me?”

He got up. “What do you want?”

“A pound of butter.” She called.

“Okay, be back in fifteen minutes.” He picked up the keys to his Hummer and left the comfort of the cottage.

It took him a little longer because of a traffic accident at the bottom of the hill. When he pulled into the driveway, it had been a half-hour. He entered the kitchen and stopped. Laura was no where to be seen. The food was cooking and there was a smell to suggest something was burning. The table was set, candles even lighted.

Turning off the stove, he called, “Laura!”

No one answered.

He moved quickly through the house. It was empty. He walked to the patio. It was as he had left it. His paper was on the table. Her gardening tools were still lying where she had left them. He ran outside. Her Mercedes SL was still parked in the small garage they had built to house it. He ran back to his car, jumped in and drove down the hill to the highway. Traffic was moving steadily. The cars involved in the accident were gone, so were the police.

Where had she gone? His had a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. Had she left him again? He was undecided. She couldn’t have gone. Laura was so happy to have left everything behind to be with him. They had talked about it many times the past six months, but with always the same ending. She wanted to be with him. She had loved him but her job, in those Cold War days, made things so difficult. Laura had been under scrutiny by the KGB, both at work and at home. They watched her and she knew it. She was afraid for his life and then later, for Sydney’s. So she ran when the FBI began closing in on her. After prison and Aleksey’s birth, she had been re-assigned to a teaching job within the KGB. Then came the break-up of the U.S.S.R. and she was without job.

Rambaldi had always held a fascination for her. She finally told him why and he’d been astonished. She told him she had sustained so many injuries, including the bullet wound in her arm, yet she had no scars. The night she told him that, Jack had done a complete check and she was right. No scars anywhere.

“So,” she said, “I had to find out what that formula was that was injected into my mother0 and what it would do to Sydney and Aleksey.”

Jack now sat in the darkened room, wondering. What was he going to do? Should he call the kids? They would be shocked to hear she was alive and then they would worry. But they certainly had more contacts now than he did. She had been gone – three hours, now. He had a feeling she was no longer on the island.

PACIFIC OCEAN

The plane hurtled on into the darkness, heading for Los Angeles carrying Laura Bristow, a CIA strike force, the pilot and co-pilot. Laura was handcuffed to the arms of the seat. She was barefoot and shackled. After sitting her down, they had left her alone in the middle of the plane. The five man strike team sat near the front, chatting. No one paid any attention to her. Laura felt like crying, but wouldn’t give them the satisfaction.

What was Jack going to think? Oh, God, will he think I’ve left him again? She looked at her wrists, held tight to the seat arms. Damn, damn it! She should have been more careful. How did they find me? How did they know I was even alive? She concentrated on her first thought. He will think I’ve left him again. She looked without seeing out the window at the dark blue ocean below. Still, he couldn’t think that, not after all they had planned.

Jack knew she was going to leave everything behind when he heard about the accident. It had been at the debriefing she had with him before Sydney’s graduation. What was it she said? “Remember Jack, with me nothing is as it seems.” He’d looked at her without emotion, but when she was “killed” he had come to Hawaii and found her waiting.

How did they find her? She had covered her tracks perfectly she thought. Now she had doubts. She closed her eyes, letting her mind backtrack the past two weeks. What was different in their living routine? Then she froze, her thoughts straying to the day she had gone to the bank. It had been robbed while she was inside. No one gave the robbers any trouble and they did no harm, just took the money and left. What happened to make the CIA or FBI aware of her presence on the island?

Then it came to her. She had filled out a deposit slip, leaving her fingerprints on the writing desk and on the pen. She had stood next to one of the robbers as he was filling out a slip to use as a ruse to get the attention of the clerk. He had been in line in front of her.

“Damn,” she thought, “my fingerprints.” She and Jack had talked about having some plastic surgery done on her hands, but it had only been talk. They had begun to feel safe in their small part of the world. Now it was too late.

MOJAVE DESERT

The van pulled up in front of the gate. Two U. S. Marshals got out of the air-conditioned cab and walked to the back, opening the double doors. Moments later, they reappeared with a tall, blond woman wearing handcuffs and tether chain with shackles. She was barefoot, looking hot and tired. It was two in the morning. A hot wind blew through the camp. The two men marched her into the office where a man waited. When he saw them, he took a key from his desk and led the way to the cellblock. There he opened one of the cells and stepped back as they led her inside. She stood, swaying slightly, as they took off the chains. Then, without saying anything, she dropped onto the bunk, turned to the wall, and fell asleep. She wondered as she fell asleep if maybe she didn’t have some sort of permanent reservation for a cell at the CIA’s interrogation headquarters.

It was hot and sticky. She was on board a ship. She looked around. It must be the Libertad, a small insignificant freighter under a Liberian registry plying its ugly trade along the ports of the Mediterranean. She had been a passenger until moments ago when she and Khasinau, along with her men, had taken over the ship. The Captain stood in front of her. She held her gun on him.
“Where is the heroin?” She said menacingly.
“I-I don’t know what you mean?”
“Fool!” She fired. The bullet struck him in the shoulder. He fell backward into the bulkhead. There was fear in his eyes. She meant business. “Do you think I came on board as a simple tourist? Who in their right mind would travel on this filthy bucket of bolts. I know exactly what you do and —“ she paused significantly, “— I know where you are going.”
“My—my shoulder,” he cried, tears running down his face.
She took two steps to him and punched him in the shoulder wound with her gloved fist. He howled in agony. “Tell me!” She hissed.
He closed his eyes, trying to think if she was any worse than his bosses. They would surely kill him if he disclosed anything. Then he opened his eyes and saw the gun held with unwavering determination.
“In the hole, the forward one.”
She looked at the tall man standing to one side. “Take a look!”
The man disappeared. She said nothing. Five minutes later the man was back.
“It’s there! Packed in air tight plastic bags. There must be two hundred million dollars worth—uncut!” His eyes were wide with anticipation of the money he would get as his share.
She looked at him in disgust. “Idiot!” She turned to the Captain. “Who is your contact in Russia?”
He did not like what he was hearing. “I don’t know. I just unload the cargo in a port on the Black Sea.”
“Where?”
“I don’t know. They were to radio me the information when I signaled from Cyprus!”
She shook her head sadly, “Too bad you won’t be making that call.” She pulled the trigger. The Captain slumped to the floor, his eyes never leaving her face, then keeled over.

Irina sat up. The cell was hot and sticky. This was the desert, not the sea, but still she shivered, remembering the eyes of the doomed Captain.

MOSCOW
Sydney looked up from her desk. She looked around to see if there was a window open. She felt chilled to the bone. Her heart seemed to skip a beat. The hair on her arms moved as though a wind was blowing, but it wasn’t. She swallowed hard. Something was wrong somewhere and it had to do with…Jack? She hadn’t talked to him, really, for the past six months, she realized guiltily.

“Syd, are you all right?” Aleksey stood in the doorway.

“Not really, why?”

“I just had the strangest feeling that something wasn’t right.”

“I know.” She studied him. Then looked at her hands, they felt cold. “There’s something wrong somewhere, but I don’t know…”

“Syd,” Aleksey said, “Do you think its Father?"

“No!” She stood up, intuition on full throttle, “its…Mom’s alive! I know it!”

Aleksey stared, and then smiled, “Thank goodness. I thought I was going crazy when that popped into my head.”

“I’m calling Dad,” she said, dashing back to her desk and the satellite cell phone, which was the only link they had with Jack. Punching in the number, she waited for him to pick up.

“Yes, Sydney?” He answered.

“Mom’s alive, isn’t she?” She didn’t waste time coming to the point.

There was silence from the other end, then he sighed, “Yes!”

He waited a moment, then, “Sorry, but we had an agreement months ago, that if I heard she was dead by an accident…I was to assume,” he stopped his voice tailing off lamely.

“Dad,” laughed Sydney. “We think it’s wonderful. You and she have been living together in Hawaii?”

“Yes!” He was relieved. “We have a home near Princeville on Kauai.”

“Sir,” interrupted Aleksey, “what’s happened? Mother’s someplace else, isn’t she?”

“I think the CIA grabbed her about 20 hours ago.”

“How did they find her?” Sydney asked.

“How did they even know she was alive?” Aleksey said.

“Dad, you’ve got to find her.”

“I’m leaving for California in a couple of hours. I’ll keep you posted. I think I know where they have her, at least for the present.”

CAMP HARRIS
The big black Hummer drove up to the gates late at night. The guard was handed a piece of paper. He looked at it, then up at the man driving. He saluted and waved him through the gates. The Hummer proceeded to the parking lot at the rear of the building. Jack left the rented vehicle and walked into the office. He handed a paper to the man sitting at the front desk.

The man spoke into the intercom. Moments later, Mark Hanson, commandant and chief interrogator for the CIA entered, motioning Jack to follow him.

They went down a hall to a small room. It had two chairs facing each other. A wall divided the room. There was a window and beside it a telephone handset. Jack sat down to wait. Hanson told him he would send for the prisoner. When she entered, Irina was wearing the same type of clothing she had at the op center months before. The guard put her into the chair then walked back to the doorway and stood there watching.

Jack picked up the handset as did Irina. “Are you all right?” He said.

“Yes!” She smiled wanly. “I love you, Jack. You know I didn’t leave you?”

He smiled, “I know, but it gave me a chill. Do you need anything?”

She shook her head. “Your government provides everything.” She smiled. “How did you find me?”

“Actually, Sydney and Aleksey thought you were alive, but not in Hawaii.” He smiled. “I had a hunch they would bring you here first.”

“Oh!” She looked sad. “I hope they don’t think too badly of me for deceiving them?”

“No!’ He exclaimed. “They guessed. Sydney said both of them knew quite suddenly that you were with me. It must have been enhanced genetic intuition.” He leaned forward. “We have to make some plans. The government is going to put you on trial in Federal Court for murder and espionage.”

She closed her eyes for a moment, then looked at him resignedly. “Jack, you know I did spy for the KGB and I did kill Bill Vaughn. But the other eleven, I didn’t, but I have no proof! None whatsoever!”

He stared at her. This was the first time she had confessed to him. “You killed Bill?” He had known Vaughn’s father briefly when he was at Langley. It had been before he married Laura.

“Jack!” She sighed. “I was in prison and seven months pregnant. The KGB officers told me if I – executed him, they would let me go. Bill was in the cell next to me. He was in terrible pain from the torture he went through every day.” She wasn’t sure Jack believed what she was saying yet. “They broke all the bones in his hands and feet; dislocated his shoulders, and evidently caused internal bleeding from blows to his abdomen.

“The day it happened, he was taken away for more…more heavy interrogation. When I was taken to the room, he was bleeding from both ears and his mouth. His jaw had been broken. They told me I could go home if I executed him.” She put her head between her hands, took a deep breath, and looked up into Jack’s stare. “He begged me to shoot him. Twice, he begged. So I took the gun and fired into the back of his head. And they took a picture!” She was angry. “They wanted to make sure I never returned here.”

Jack looked at her. Was she telling him the truth or was it more deception? He smiled. “Did you ever tell Vaughn?”

“Yes, but I don’t think he believed me,” she said wryly. “And I’m not sure I’d blame you either if you didn’t. It’s a-a story that no one would believe.”

“We’re hiring a lawyer,” he said. “You are going to tell your side of the story. Sydney and Aleksey can’t be there, but I will.” He put his hand to the window. “Touch my hand, darling, and then I’ll go.”

She put hers up to the glass. It was what she had done before Panama when Sydney had come to see her. “Goodbye, Jack. I love you.”

Back in her cell, she stretched out, thinking about Jack and for a moment, Bill Vaughn. She finally closed her eyes.

It was hot and sticky. The air was fetid from smells of unwashed bodies, feces and urine. Irina felt a little sick. She was trying to sleep a little. The afternoon session in the interrogation room had not been pleasant. Now she was fighting nausea and being quiet in order to keep the rotten food they fed her in her stomach. She was sure she was pregnant now, almost three months along. That was a complication she had not planned. She thought of Jack and Sydney. He had wanted another child and Sydney was always begging for a little sister. Now she was twelve thousand miles away in a hellhole. There were no doctors here and no medicine. She wondered if she would carry to term or perhaps lose it. She wondered if they would make her abort the baby. She hoped not. It was strange, this feeling she had when she knew she was carrying Jack’s child. She wanted it in spite of her circumstances.
The cell doors were opening into the cellblock. She could hear footsteps, keys and voices. The empty cell next to her opened.
“Get in, American spy!” The sound of a body crashing to the floor interrupted her thoughts.
The cell door clanged shut . Irina waited a moment, then she stood up walking to the bars that separated the two cells. There was not much privacy in this prison. There was a man lying on the floor. He was bleeding from the mouth.
“You’re American?” She asked quietly.
“Yeah!” He pushed himself up to a sitting position, his back to the bed, and looked up at her. “You, too?”
She smiled, “No, Russian. I lived in your country for awhile.”
“Wait,” he said. “Don’t tell me anything to identify yourself and I’ll do the same. Let’s be, Russkie, you, and Gringo, that’s me! Okay?”
She nodded. “Okay.”

Irina opened her eyes. Russkie and Gringo two people from different countries, but the same given where they were — in prison. She smiled, remembering the tough American, the hell he had to face and the strength he showed during the weeks ahead. They had never broken him.

LANGLEY, Next Day
Jack walked up to the reception desk and asked for Vaughn. Fifteen minutes later, his daughter’s lover walked through security gate and up to Jack.

“Sir, I’m glad to see you.”

“If it hadn’t been for the CIA, I wouldn’t be here.” He glared at Vaughn, who immediately felt the discomfort of being blamed for everything that had happened.

“Look, I didn’t—“

“I want to see Devlin. Get me an appointment, now.” Jack’s voice made it clear that he would not take no for an answer. “Sydney is waiting to hear from me.”

Vaughn understood the veiled threat. If he didn’t act promptly he would no doubt hear from Sydney. “Then, she knows?”

Jack didn’t answer. He just stared.

Thirty minutes later, Vaughn took Jack up stairs.

DCI Devlin was behind his desk when Jack entered the room. “Jack! Nice to see you.” He got up and went to shake Jack’s hand.

“You son of a b---h,” snarled Jack. “How dare you invade my home and take my wife?”

Devlin’s smile disappeared. “You’ve got a helluva lot of nerve coming here after what you and she did.”

“What did we do that was wrong? We just lived quietly, bothering no one.”

“She owes this country a debt and she’s going to pay.” Devlin sat down behind his desk.

Jack leaned forward, both hands on desk, “Irina Derevko is dead to both her country and this one. To bring her back alive is to make both countries look ridiculous. Not only that, but the CIA is going to have to explain why it gave her access to Echlon and why she saved its butt in Kashmir when we nearly failed to get the nukes. Furthermore, Russia won’t be at all happy with you hanging its dirty laundry out for the world to see.”

“They sent her here to spy on you as well as kill our agents.” Devlin was angry now. “The CIA has 12 stars downstairs that want an answer and revenge. The families of those men want their day in court. They are the victims here, not your wife.”

“Then put her on trial, but take her out of Camp Harris and put her into the Federal Prison. Further harassment of my wife will get you nothing, but a big headache when I tell her lawyer what you are doing.” Jack turned on his heel and walked to the door. He opened it and turned back to Devlin. “I mean it.” He slammed the door and stalked out past the secretaries who had heard everything through the door.

CAMP HARRIS
Mark Hanson studied Irina Derevko. She was in the interrogation room, locked down in the chair. She had not said one word the entire time she was there. He had seen the look on her face and in her eyes. She had gone somewhere else again. He was at a loss to understand it. She was, he thought, incredible. He really had to admire her strength of will. He and another man had been questioning her steadily through the morning. She had said nothing. It was as if she had left the room and gone somewhere he was not privy to.

Irina was hot. The air was heavy. The blouse she wore was wet with her sweat. It stuck to her like glue. She had rolled the sleeves up, but it gave her little respite from the heat. The road she and Khasinau had traveled was shimmering. She looked back at the buildings. The man getting out of the car was heavy and sweating even more than she was. Morris Carson was the contact man for The Alliance and in his brief case, she knew, was one hundred fifty million dollars in bearer bonds, which he was going to use to buy precious diamonds.
She glanced to the left of the building and saw Khasinau waiting. She pulled the rifle up to her shoulder, sighted, then fired. Morris Carson died instantly. Then she swung the rifle to the three men who had been standing near him and dropped all three in ten seconds, even though they had tried to scatter. She ran forward as Khasinau knifed the man who had come out of the building. He was the owner of the diamond mine and the seller of the diamonds.
She was through the door almost before Khasinau could take his knife out of the owner. Inside, sitting on his desk, was a brief case. Flipping it open she saw raw diamonds, hundreds of them. She closed and locked it. Khasinau glanced at her as she left the office. She swooped up the briefcase Carson had had with him.
“Let’s get out of here,” she said, running for their car. As she jumped into the rear seat, she thought of Sydney. Maybe she would like a diamond ring.

Hanson glanced at his watch. It was time for her exercise period. He heard the door open behind him. “Sir, this just came from Langley.”

Mark looked at it and was relieved. “Okay, let’s get the prisoner ready for transfer.”

“Where?”

“Federal prison in San Pedro.”

Irina opened her eyes.

BOSTON
Eleanor Frutt was in the office alone. Everyone else was out to lunch and it had been her turn to answer the phones while Lucy was gone for an hour. The door opened at the end of the room. She looked up to see a tall man with steel gray hair, dark eyes, and impeccably dressed walk toward her. She smiled, “can I help you.”

“I’m looking for Eleanor Frutt or Lindsey Dole.”

“I’m Eleanor.”

“Good! I want to hire you as a defense attorney for my wife.”

“Is she in jail?”

“She’s been taken to Federal prison in San Pedro, California.”

Eleanor was surprised. “California?”

“Yes. I should tell you that she will be tried for 86 counts of espionage and 12 counts of murder.”

Her eyes widened in shock. “When did this happen?”

“Between the years of 1972 and 1982.” He took a checkbook out of his pocket and picked up a pen from her desk. He looked at her. “Are you interested in defending her?”

“There are some excellent lawyers on the West Coast. Why me or this firm?”

“The firm’s reputation for handling some of the toughest criminal cases. A friend of mine, David Kelly, told me you were the best.”

She smiled. “It does intrigue me! I’d like to hear more before I say yes or no.”

He scribbled something on the check and handed it to her. “This is your retainer fee. You free my wife and we’ll double that!”

Eleanor glanced at the check and did a double take. “Five hundred thousand!” She looked at him and saw he was serious. “It’s good?”

“Call the bank!” He answered.

An hour later, Jack, Eleanor and Bobby Donnell, senior partner, were in the conference room talking. Jack gave them the entire story, at least as much of it as he knew.

“She staged an accident six months ago in order to be with me. I had resigned from the CIA and was going to live in Hawaii. We had spent a week honeymooning there in ’74. She was waiting for me when I returned from the funeral.”

Bobby looked at Eleanor. It was one of the most bizarre and romantic stories he had ever encountered. “What do you think, Eleanor?”

“I want to see her and talk, but,” she looked at Jack, “I have to know there is some kind of legitimate defense, because you can believe the federal prosecutors will have every nail in her coffin ready to hammer down.”

“Who do you want as second chair?” asked Bobby. “I’d like to help, but I’ve two murder trials to prepare for.”

“How about Jamie?”

“She’s not as experienced,” said Bobby.

“But if I’m not mistaken, she’s licensed in California as well as Massachusetts.”

“Then take her with you. You’ll need to assess the amount time and work it will take, as well as prepare any motions. Mr. Bristow, I know you’ll give them all the assistance they need.”

“When do you want to meet my wife?” He asked Eleanor.

“As soon as possible!”

I really like this story so far and I can't wait to read the next part! Great job lenafan!
kylo4

:blush: Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Second part will be posted tomorrow. I'm just finishing it up with some editing. :cool:

As promised the next part of GHOSTS. Enjoy. :D

PRE-TRIAL

SAN PEDRO
The Hummer pulled into the prison’s parking lot. Eleanor, Jamie Stringer and Jack left the big car and walked into the lobby. He spoke with the senior guard, who made a quick phone call. Minutes later, the warden entered through a door at the end of the corridor.

“I want to see Irina Derevko. These are her attorneys. Here are the papers from the federal prosecutor’s office.”

The warden nodded. “Visiting hours are…”

“I know when they are, but these lawyers flew in from Boston to see her. The papers,” he gestured at them, “say they can have access today at any time.”

The warden grudgingly turned to the senior guard and told him to phone the cellblock and get the prisoner to the interview room. Another guard opened a door and led the three down another corridor to a room. It had only three chairs: one on the prisoner’s side and two on the visitor’s. He left to get another chair.

“Look, don’t be surprised when you see her. They won’t take anymore chances that she’ll escape. She’s done that a couple of times, plus times when the CIA let her out for a special mission or two.” He explained. Both Kate and Eleanor regarded him with open mouths. The guard came back with the third chair.

Then, they heard a noise from the other side of the door facing them. A lock turned and the door opened. Irina Derevko shuffled into the room. She smiled when she saw Jack and sat down.

The two lawyers in turn, stared at her. She was six feet at least, wiry, with long, dyed blond hair whose color was beginning to fade out to her natural chestnut brown. Her intelligent eyes were dark brown. She had wide cheekbones and a chiseled jaw line. She was a handsome woman. No one said anything for a moment.

Jack said, “Irina, this is Eleanor Frutt and Jamie Stringer, the two lawyers I hired for your defense. They want to talk to you first. Please answer all their questions.”

Jamie took out a pad of lined yellow paper. She was prepared to take notes while Eleanor asked the questions.

MOSCOW
Sydney sat in front of her computer watching the screen. Jack stared back at her. “So that’s the situation. It’s not too good in fact, it’s pretty bleak. But Eleanor and Jamie liked your mother and they said they would do their utmost to keep her from Death Row. They weren’t too sure what, if anything, they could do about the espionage charges since she readily admits to them.”

She nodded. Mom had told her about that some time ago. “So she doesn’t know if there are any records left to corroborate her story that she didn’t kill the other eleven agents. Still, there’s Bill Vaughn…what about him? I saw the picture Michael carries with him.”

Jack shook his head, “that’s one reason I’m calling. Talk to her father. Maybe he knows where there might be some old KGB files.”

“We’ll try, Dad.” She shook her head.

SANTA MONICA
Jamie and Eleanor had been given an empty penthouse suite. Jack assured them there would be no rent while they used it. They set up an office in one room with computers, books, television with recorder, two desks with chairs, three file cabinets and three phone lines. Jack said he would help in any way he could. He also said he had an apartment one floor down.

“How did you manage this,” asked Eleanor, surveying the comfortable livingroom.

“I didn’t. Irina owns the building.”

The next morning a messenger from the Federal Prosecutor’s office arrived with a copy of the filed charges and a list of evidence they were presenting at the pre-trial hearing which was scheduled in two weeks. There were two boxes of copied files for them to go through. After that they would have to see their client again to go over what they had found.

The days seemed to fly by. It was getting closer to the pre-trial date. Because Jamie had a California license, she had to be lead counsel with Eleanor as her assistant. Young and brash, Jamie nevertheless was a brilliant lawyer who had been editor of the Law Review her senior year at Harvard. She just needed to calm down and not get too emotionally involved or excitable which Eugene had said she tended to do. The calmness usually came with experience she was told. However, this case needed to be dealt with calmly now. There could be no waiting for experience.

The issue of the murders was the hottest topic in the charges. leanor was sure someone from the prosecutor’s office had notified the media. Now, whenever Jamie or Eleanor went to the prison to see Irina, television cameras were pointed at them and questions asked. Eleanor did not want this to be tried in the media. The less said to the public, the better.

The two of them had done some interviewing of Jack, Sydney and Aleksey by cell phone, and even Vaughn.

MOSCOW
Grigor drove Sydney to her grandfather’s office at #2 Dzerzhinskiy Square, near the Kremlin. She stood for a moment looking over the magnificent buildings. It was thrilling to know that this was a part of her heritage. Asking Grigor to wait, Sydney walked to Mikhail Probukov’s office on the tenth floor of the Sluzhba Vneshney Razvedki, the SVR.

She presented her credentials at the front door to a Captain who was checking all who entered. He smiled, saluted her and passed her on into the building. Sydney hurried up the stairs instead of waiting to take the elevator. She stopped at a desk, which was in front of another long corridor. She gave the Captain there her papers. He looked at them, saluted and gave her permission to pass.

Moments later, Sydney entered her grandfather’s office. His Secretary looked up from her work and saw who it was.
”Anna!” She smiled. “He’s expecting you.”

Sydney opened the door and entered the office of the Director of SVR.
“Grandfather!”

He got to his feet, a huge smile on his face. He adored his American granddaughter. She was so beautiful and looked so much like his dead wife. She even went by her middle name, Anna.

Mikhail grabbed her by the shoulders, kissed her on both cheeks then, gave her a hug. “Anna, you haven’t been by for a week? What have you been doing?”

“Grandfather, there is no way for me to tell you, but straight out. Mother is alive.”

He stared at her in shock. “What?” He shook his head. “No, that’s impossible!”

The look on Sydney’s face told him different. “Tell me,” he demanded.
She did.

“She did that to be with Jack?” He was astounded.

“Yes. Grandfather, they have loved each other for over thirty years. Mom figured it was time for her to settle down, I guess.”

He laughed. “Yes, this is good.”

Sydney then became quite serious. “However, I should also tell you that the CIA found out she was alive. They captured her in Hawaii and she is now on trial for her life in Los Angeles. We need your help. Her lawyers need evidence they can’t get. Anything, old documents from the days of the KGB that might help her.”

General Probukov looked suddenly very angry. “What will they do to her?”

“If she is found guilty, execute her by lethal injection.” Sydney heaved a sigh. “I cannot be there with her. They would arrest both Aleksey and me for…Ummm…burglarizing CIA headquarters in Langley.”

“God in Heaven,” he exclaimed, thinking the SVR had never been successful trying to do that.

She explained. “Can you help us?”
“To help my daughter, I will do anything.” He sat behind his desk, making some notes.

Sydney told him what they were looking for to assist the lawyers. “We need to find any evidence to support her story that she was told to kill the CIA agent Bill Vaughn and that if she did, she would be set free. She was pregnant with Aleksey.”

“Yes. When I found out about Andropov’s order, I was able to persuade him to rescind her prisoner status. She was barely home a month before he was born.” He thought for a moment. “I will get several clerks working right away. I suppose you need this yesterday?”

“Naturally.” She got up from her seat, went around to his side of the desk, and gave him a hug. She handed him a piece of paper. It had a telephone number on it. “You can reach Dad here.”

“I will keep him informed.” Mikhail promised.

“I have to go.” She grinned. “Working together, we might find a way to get Mom off and home again with Dad.”
“Let’s hope so,” he said.

THE TRIAL

LOS ANGELES
Irina sat in the small waiting room. The two marshals sat in a corner near the door. Jack sat across from her. He was not allowed to be close to her or to touch her. The marshals were adamant on that. He looked at her appreciatively. Jamie had insisted that Irina’s hair be dyed back to her natural color. The dyed blond look was not one her lawyers wanted. She was wearing an expensive pantsuit. It was a rich dark green and went with her dark chestnut hair. There was only a hint of lipstick. Her nails were manicured and only a clear polish had been applied. There was nothing ostentatious about her at all. She was just an attractive woman in her fifties, who no more looked like a spy and an assassin than any woman on the street.

Eleanor and Jamie entered, nodding to the two marshals. “Are you ready?” Jamie looked at Irina.

She shrugged. She looked very tired. “I guess.”

“Are you okay,” said Jack concerned now by the tone of her voice. “What’s wrong?”

“I haven’t slept well.”

There was a small silence. “Look Irina,” said Eleanor, “it’s important that you are attentive and interested. The jury is going to be watching you from time to time as the trial progresses. They are going to be staring at you during the opening statements. I would like you to be alert.”

Irina nodded slowly. “Very well,” and sighed again.

The bailiff opened the door. “Bring in the defendant.”

Jack, who had been subpoenaed and could not be in the courtroom until called, left by the door they had entered. Eleanor, Jamie and Irina followed by the two Marshals entered by the other. The courtroom was packed. The judge would not allow television cameras. The media were allowed only two reporters and they had to share the information with the others.

The room was large enough for only fifty spectators. The windows were located in the upper half of the room. It was oak paneled and all the wood was polished: chairs, judge’s bench, jury box, desks, and the doors. Fluorescent lights lighted the room brightly.

Irina took her seat behind the defense table. The prosecution table was to her right. In front, was the Judge’s seat and desk, rising at least three feet over the rest of the room. The witness stand faced her. The jury box was also on her right. There were twelve men and women as well as two alternates seated. They looked at her as she sat down, flanked by her attorneys. In fact, everyone in the room looked at her.

The prosecutor, James Daniesl, glanced at the defendant. He was amazed that this woman had a history of deception, evil and brutality. At least, that was what he had to prove.

Daniels’ opening statement was short, terse and brutal in the way he characterized the defendant as evil, manipulative, and the perpetrator of horrendous acts, leading to the deaths of twelve CIA operatives. She had also committed 86 acts of espionage against the United States during the years 1972 through 1982. She had run when she learned the FBI was going to arrest her, leaving her husband and small child without a thought or care. Because of her duplicity, her husband had been arrested and imprisoned for six months until he had been cleared. She had no conscience. She was guilty by her own admission of the espionage.

“We are here to find her guilty or not guilty of the twelve murders she has been charged with. We intend to prove she is guilty and deserving of the death penalty.”

There was a buzzing in the courtroom as he sat down.

Eleanor knew she could not overshadow this performance. She therefore kept her remarks low-key and short. She simply said that the defense was going to prove that all the evidence against Irina Derevko, regarding the murders, was circumstantial and that there was reasonable doubt.

“If any of you believe this, then you must find for the defendant.”

The judge banged his gavel and told everyone to take a ten minute break and that the prosecution could begin its case with by calling the first witness after they returned.

Eleanor and Jamie accompanied Irina to the conference room. One marshal went out to get coffee for everyone. Jack entered the room and asked how things went. Irina smiled and let Jamie do the talking.

“As well as we could expect. James was his pugnacious self.” She had been the one to deal with him during the period before the trial. He had not been overly gracious to the two lawyers from Boston.

Jack wanted to touch Irina, but the marshal was watching him. His heart was racing and there was a small bit of perspiration on his face. Irina noticed it, and looked at him questioningly. He smiled quickly then, turned to look at Eleanor and Jamie. “Daniels is putting me on first. He considers me a hostile witness.”

Irina looked at him with understanding. “Don’t worry, Jack. I know how you felt when I turned myself in to the CIA. And,” she gave him a small smile, “under the circumstances, I might have done the same thing if our positions had been reversed. So don’t lie to them.”

He gave her a brief grin, looked at Jamie and Eleanor and said “Good luck.”

“Sounds like you might need it,” said Eleanor. “Do what Irina says, don’t lie.”

Ten minutes later, the judge entered from his chambers behind the courtroom. Everyone sat down and waited.

“Mr. Daniels, are you ready?”

“Yes, your honor. The government calls Johnathan S. Bristow to the stand.”

Jack was sworn in and took his seat.
“I understand you are still married to the defendant?”

“Yes.”

“In spite of everything she’s done?”

‘Yes.”

“You must love her a great deal in spite of her murdering 12 of your fellow agents.”

“Objection!” Jamie snapped.

“Sustained.” The Judge glared at Daniels.

“I’ll rephrase the question: You must love her a great deal in spite of her past which, of course, included the 86 acts of espionage committed against you.”

Jack just stared at him. Daniels flushed, then turned to the judge. “I want to treat Mr. Bristow as a hostile witness, Your Honor?”

“Granted.”

“Answer the question, Mr. Bristow.”

“Yes.”

“When did you marry Irina Derevko?”

“I married Laura Cain on July 12th of 1972.”

Jaime checked his notes. “Very well, Laura Cain. That was her alias, was it not?”

“Yes.” “When did you learn she was a Russian spy.”
“Shortly after she was officially listed as killed in an auto accident.”

“Please describe the auto accident?”

“Her car went off a bridge into the harbor and she reportedly drowned.”

“This was in 1982?”

“Yes.”

“When did you learn she was alive?”

“Two years ago.”

“How?”

“An old KGB video tape.”

“What was on the tape?”

“My wife, Laura Cain.”

“What was the tape about?”

“It was a debriefing.” Jack was not about to give the man anything he didn’t directly ask for in his question.

“The KGB, which in 1972 was Russia’s equivalent of the CIA, was debriefing Irina Derevko on her return to Russia after a ten-year marriage to you?”

“Yes.”

The questioning went on after lunch. Jack never deviated from his decision to bore the hell out of the jury by not giving anything more than a yes or no answer whenever possible. He occasionally used more than one word, but not often enough. Jack’s face never betrayed any emotion while answering questions. It was near the end of the day when the prosecutor delivered his first blow to the defense’s case much to Jack’s discomfort. “I hold here a series of memos from the CIA files regarding Irina Derevko’s appearance at the Operations Center just after turning herself in. Do you remember these?”

“Yes.”

“I would like you to read the highlighted section and verify if this was your memo.” He handed the paper to Jack.

Jack then read, “Irina Derevko is an opportunistic sociopath and won’t hesitate to use this agency as a means to further her own agenda. And yes, this is my memo.”

“Evidently they didn’t pay attention to it. In this memo, “ Daniels handed it to Jack, “you further state…”

“She will prostitute herself in any way to get us (the CIA) to help her reach that agenda. And yes, I wrote that also.”

“Did she?”

“Yes!”

“So she is a *****…”

Jamie jumped up, “Objection!”

The judge agreed. “Sustained.” He looked at Daniels. “Be careful.”

Daniels shrugged. He looked at Irina, then back at Jack. “Please read this memo.”

Jack took it and read in a monotone voice, “I believe she is setting up Agent Sydney Bristow to be killed.”

“This is your handwriting?”

“Yes.”

“Did she?”

“No.” His voice was low.

“The truth is, you set your wife up, the woman you say you love, to take the fall for almost killing her daughter, Sydney.”

Jack tried to maintain his dignity by not squirming. He looked at Irina. “Yes.”

Daniels waved the memos at Jack. “Based on these, you painted a picture of an extremely dangerous woman without conscience, who was working toward her own agenda.”

“Yes.”

“That’s all.” He knew he couldn’t delve into the reason Irina had turned herself into the CIA. It was classified.

“Defense,” said the Judge looking at his watch.

Jamie stood up. “I have only a brief question or two.”
She approached Jack.
“Do you love your wife?
“Yes, with all my heart.”
“In spite of everything she has done?”
“Yes!”
“And why is that, given the reasons for this trial?”
“Because I know now what has driven her these past thirty odd years. It has to do with our daughter,” he paused, “and our son.”
There was a buzz in the courtroom as this was the first time that anyone, other than the two Boston lawyers and the parents, knew about a son. James Daniels stared at Jack and then at Irina. What goes on here he thought.
“Can you tell us what that is?”
“No, because it has nothing to do with this trial,” he indicated the courtroom. “It’s personal between my wife and me.”
“Thank you. That’s all, Your Honor.”

The Judge banged his gavel. “Court is adjourned until 9:00 in the morning.”

MAZAFARABAD
Sydney was dressed as a poor farmer. Her head covering was wrapped in such a way that only her eyes showed. She carried an Uzi over her shoulder. She moved along a road leading to the abandoned prison a half-mile away. Behind her strode Grigor, similarly attired. Leading was Sergei Chernokoff, a young SVR officer who had been assigned to take Sydney to the prison by the General. Sergei had been on assignment many times in the area and it was for that reason he was recommended by his immediate superiors. He had been impressed when he was introduced to “Anna Derevko,” who looked to be about his age. She was quick, smart and beautiful. However, he was mindful after the briefing, that he was accompanying the General’s granddaughter.

“This is a different way to the prison,” she commented. “We came in the back way the last time.”

“You mean with your parents?” He had been briefed on the first time earlier.

She nodded. “We crossed a mine field and came in through the air conditioning vents.”

He flashed a bright smile. “Much easier this way.”

“And significantly less dangerous! How long did you say the prison had been abandoned?”

“About a year…actually it was the headquarters for the PLF, a small rebel outfit. Then the Indian Air Force tossed some bombs at it and they left.”

Sydney felt some chills go up her spine. “Yeah, I remember.”

They emerged from around the curve, and the prison was before them. Sydney saw the crumbling building, trying to remember the exit she, Mom and Dad had used to make their escape with the nuclear warheads and – the flower. She glanced at Grigor and was startled to see his face paler than ever, even in the sunlight.

“What’s wrong, Grigor?” She put her hand on the big man’s arm.

“I don’t like this place. Too many ghosts!”

Sergei smiled. He had been more than a little surprised when Anna told him she was coming with her bodyguard who had formerly worked at the prison as a guard. Of course, it had been over twenty years ago. “Don’t worry. There’s no one here now.”

Grigor looked at him with unseeing eyes. “The ghosts are here.”

Sydney studied his pale face. “You don’t like this place? But you worked here as a guard, didn’t you?”

He nodded, staring off, not meeting her eyes. “Bad for your mother. She was hurt bad.”

Sydney knew she would find out more if she was patient. Nodding at Sergei, the three started for the entrance to the prison. They pushed through the door, which was half off its hinges. It was dark inside, smelling musty. There were no lights available. The three took out powerful halogen lamps and, turning them on, swept the area where they were standing. Only old broken furniture, chairs and desks remained. It was obvious that the prison had been looted for serviceable items.

The three walked through the rooms on the first floor. They searched the area and found nothing of value or use. Then they went to the floor below. This floor contained a number of cells. The steel doors were intact having been too heavy to move or to hard to get out of the concrete they were imbedded in. Sydney recognized the cells she and her father had occupied that awful day when they both thought Irina had betrayed them again. Sydney bit her lower lip as she remembered.

“Here,” said Grigor. “Here is where your mother was kept for six months.”

Sydney stood looking at the six by six cell. The bunk, imbedded in the wall, was still there. She saw the hole in the floor. “Oh my God,” she thought, “how awful for her.” She leaned against the bars.

“It was bad.” Grigor rumbled in a strangely soft voice.
Sergei said nothing, listening quietly and not wishing to upset the big man’s thoughts. He had a feeling there was a lot more coming.

Grigor stared into the cell as he recalled her arrival.

The guard, a big man, brought her to the cell and pushed her hard inside. She slammed into the bunk. Irina looked up to see him staring down at her. She tried to scramble up, but she was still handcuffed, which made it very difficult.
The guard grinned, unbuckling his pants. “We can make it a pleasurable time, or—not!” His voice was menacing. He took another step closer. He could see the hate in her eyes. He swung a big fist and caught her on the side of the head, knocking her out.
As she slumped over, he grabbed the front of her shirt. He put her down on her back. He knew he didn’t have a lot of time. He pulled her pants off and then his. Five minutes later, she began to revive, but felt smothered, pinned down. Then she realized the guard was raping her. She tried to push him off, but he was too heavy. He reached up with his right hand, putting it across her nose and mouth so she couldn’t scream. She couldn’t breathe and struggled as he continued. He finished. He zipped up his pants, a grin on his face. Now able to breathe, she scrambled to find her clothes he’d ripped off.
“See, now that wasn’t so bad was it? He laughed and removed her handcuffs.
“I’m going to kill you, remember that!”
Again he laughed, walked to the door, and left her alone.

Sydney, horrified, looked into the cell, trying to see what happened that night as Grigor retold it. “Did you see it happen?”

He shook his head. “No, Pavel, the foolish guard, told us about it later. That was when I became Irina’s friend. I was a corporal, he was only private, so I made sure he never was on duty in her cellblock. He visited your mother no more.”

“What happened to him?”

“She hunted him down and kill him after she get out—after Aleksey was born.”

They walked down the long corridor and came to some open doors and some that were closed. Most were empty, dusty and silent. They came to another room that was empty except for a large bolt high on the far wall.

Grigor grunted, “Bad place for Irina.”

“What happened?” Sergei asked.

“Here is interrogation. They chain prisoners to steel ring up there where you see the bolt.”

“And what --?” said Sydney.

“They beat them or sometimes use water…” Grigor closed his eyes. “Your Mother here many times at first.”

Sydney’s face showed the anguish she knew her mother must have felt. This was something she had never told Jack or anyone. “At first? What does that mean?”

“When it showed she was going to have baby, they stop.”

They continued down the corridor to another room. “Gringo die here,” said Grigor. He shook his head. “Bad time.”

Bill Vaughn was in agony. They had broken his jaw this time. His hands were swollen the size of a baseball mitt. All the bones had been broken. His feet were equally swollen for the same reason. Both of his shoulders were dislocated. He knew he was bleeding internally from heavy blows to his spleen and liver. They had hit his kidneys several times. He was slowly dying. How much longer, he had no idea, but he wasn’t going to tell them what they wanted to know. F--k ‘em!
The door opened. A big guard entered with Russkie, his pregnant friend from the next cell. They had agreed not to use their real names, only nicknames. He was Gringo and she was Russkie. The two KGB officers motioned her over to the table. She was staring at him strangely. Then he could hear what was being said. They wanted her to kill him and if she did, she would be let go. She could have her baby at home and not in this filthy prison.
“Please,” he begged, “do it.” He could barely raise his head to look at her.
“Gringo, I—I can’t.”
“Russkie please, I beg you! I’m dying.”
There was silence.
He heard nothing as the bullet slammed into the back of his head.

Sydney swallowed hard. “Grigor, you were there?”
“Yes.” He heaved a sigh. “Irina feel terrible about her friend, but also glad he would not suffer more.”
“When did they let her go?”
“A couple of days later. She take me with her.”
“She could do that after being a prisoner?”
“Of course. Her father had come for her. He was KGB Colonel then. She asked and he say okay and I go with them. I work for her ever since.”
Sydney looked at Sergei. “I need to be in Moscow yesterday.”
He laughed, “Well, given we’re where we are, I think it will take a little longer.”

LOS ANGELES
“State you name, please.” Daniels was about to question one of his witnesses.
“Dimitriy Ustinov.”
“You were a KGB psychiatrist in 1970 until--?”
“Until 1990.”
“And you emigrated to the U.S. in what year?”
“1996 and I eventually became licensed here” he told the court.
“I have here a report on the defendant when she finished her training as a KGB operative. I know the defense is going to want to know why you have this report.”
“Everyone who wrote any kind of report, kept a copy to protect themselves from misinformation being produced by the directorate. No one in their right mind would trust the KGB to tell the truth.”
James flipped over a page. “It states in the report that you would not hesitate to assign her for any job.”
“Yes. She had an incredible ability to withstand pressure and stress. She could compartmentalize her emotions and live only in the moment. Everything else is locked away out of her mind.”
“In other words, if she were assigned to kill, she could do it without a conscious thought.”
“Yes.”
“Your report also states she can be dangerous if crossed.”
“No, not exactly. I believe I said ‘if not treated with respect’”
“Meaning?”
“She has an IQ of about 170. She was the best agent the KGB had. I warned the 2nd Directorate Chief she would be a danger to those who did not respect her intelligence and abilities. She would kill anyone who crossed her.”
“Do you think she did?”
Dimitriy nodded, “Yes!” He glanced at the defendant who was staring at him, showing no emotion.
“Why?”
“She was imprisoned on her return to Russia. I warned them not to do it, but they didn’t pay attention. A couple of months after her release, two KGB interrogators and a guard were murdered. All three had come in contact with her.”
“In what way?”
“No information was provided. Her father was a colonel in the Directorate. I believe the incident was covered up.”
“Thank you. I have no more questions.” He looked at Eleanor and Jamie.
Jamie took the papers from him as she approached the witness. “I won’t keep you long, Mr. Ustinov.
“I’m interested in why you think she killed the three men? I mean, did you see her do it?”
“No, but—“
“If there is no visual proof, then you must be guessing and when someone is being tried for murder there can be no guessing. So what are you basing your accusations on?”
“My knowledge of her skills and mental capabilities.”
“That is not proof.” She looked at him. “So you are guessing, right?”
He shrugged, “Yes.”
“I have no further questions.”
The next two days were spent on testimony from Yuri Turogev, Irina’s firearms instructor, now an owner of a gun shop in New Orleans. Eric Johnston, the interrogator at Central City, who was now an instructor at the the Farm operated by the CIA, also testified on Irina’s ability to withstand intense questioning and forms of physical interrogation. Mark Hanson, his American equivalent at the CIA, confirmed the same.
On the fifth day of prosecution witnesses, James Daniels announced that the next witness would be the Director of Counter Intelligence, Arthur Devlin. The DCI was sworn in then, sat back in the witness box. He looked at Irina without emotion. Daniels walked over with a piece of paper in his hand.
“ Please state your name and current position.”
“You are acquainted with the defendant?”
“Yes! I met with her when she turned herself into the CIA in September, 2002.” Under James' skillful guidance, Devlin related all of his personal dealings with Irina Derevko who had been the number one most wanted on the CIA’s list.
“Why was that?”
“She killed twelve of our agents.”
“When?”
“During the years she was in the United States—1972 to 1982.”
“How do you know she killed them?”
Devlin went through the agents’ deaths. He produced a paper from which he read the dates the men were killed. “The defendant was in those cities at the very same time. She was sighted once at the hotel where one agent was knifed.”
Irina’s eyes widened.
“The hotel was where?”
“In Paris. The Hotel Metropole. The year was 1974. We lost Matt Grimes. When he was found, his throat had been slashed.”
The jury, almost as one, looked at Irina.
Devlin handed something to James, who took it and on his way to the defense table, said, “The people wish to enter this as exhibit 14A.” He showed it to Eleanor and Jamie. It was a picture of a younger Irina leaving the hotel. They passed it to Irina, who said nothing.
“Who took the picture?” asked James.
“A street photographer who was really aiming at a young couple. Derevko happened to be in the background. We actually didn’t realize what we had, until we began to gather evidence.”
Irina pulled Eleanor’s yellow tablet to her and quickly wrote something. Eleanor looked at it and nodded.
Daniels then had Devlin go through the other deaths in other cities during the years Irina, as Laura Bristow, had gone to conferences. She was an English Professor at UCLA and went to various conferences out of the country at least twice a year. There had been three deaths by knife, four by a Glock pistol and four by sniper rifle. There was no evidence of how she had managed to get close enough to kill the agents with a knife. The CIA had gone through the crime scenes with the local police to make sure no evidence was missed. However, they had found nothing until Jake Francona’s murder.
“What was that?”
“Fingerprints that matched those of Laura Bristow.”
Irina stared a Devlin, shocked.
”Where were they found?”
“All over the room.” Devlin went on to describe where and the procedures used
to gather the evidence.
Eleanor glanced at Irina who was scribbling something on the yellow pad. Irina then turned the pad so she could see it. Eleanor’s eyes widened then, she nodded. “Show it to Jamie.”
“So now we have fingerprints of the defendant in the room where Agent Francona was murdered?”
“Yes.”
“It seems rather careless of the defendant given her abilities as a spy and assassin…”
“Objection!” Jamie jumped up. The defendant has not been found guilty of murder.”
“Sustained. “ The judge agreed. “The jury will disregard that last statement by the prosecution.”
“Sorry, your honor.” Daniels turned back to the witness. “It seems careless by the defendant, does it not?”
“We all make mistakes. Criminals make them constantly. That’s how we are able to catch them. Irina Derevko is no different.”
“Francona was killed in 1982?”
“Yes, October. It happened shortly before the FBI was going to arrest her. It was actually the final piece of real evidence needed to verify her guilt.” Devlin stared at Irina. “Someone at the FBI warned her. We later found out her handler had worked at the FBI’s offices here in Los Angeles as a clerk. He was the informant.
The courtroom buzzed.
“So, as the Director of the CIA, you believe the evidence was strong enough to merit her arrest?”
“Yes, although not the Director then, I concur the evidence was strong enough.” He looked at Irina. “She’s guilty.”

MOSCOW
Sydney knocked at the door. Grigor stood behind her, a little nervous. The door opened. General Mikhail Probukov smiled. “Anna!” He motioned her and Grigor insides. He hugged her when the door closed.
“Did you find anything to help Irina?”
“Sydney nodded. “It seems there was an eye witness to the day she killed Bill Vaughn. Mother forgot the guard who brought her into the room where Vaughn was being interrogated.”
“Who?”
Sydney turned, putting her hand on Grigor’s arm. “He was.”
“Grigor?” The General stared at the big man. “Why have you not said anything before this?” He seemed a little angry.
“Grandfather, take it easy. Grigor didn’t know Irina needed someone who was there. Remember she killed the two men who had been interrogating Bill Vaughn that day. I think she simply forgot Grigor was there. She had been so traumatized by the event that all she saw were the interrogators and Bill. And they were all dead. No one, in her mind, was left except herself.”
He looked at her. “The trial is not going well.” He told her what had happened with the CIA Director’s testimony. “I think it is time I put pressure on our President.”
“Would Grigor’s testimony even be allowed?”
“I doubt it.” He looked at her kindly. “But it would help you and Jack, would it not?”
Sydney nodded. After the trip back to the prison and hearing what had happened to her mother there, she understood more about Irina Derevko and her life. It would make their relationship so much better. She thought Jack would understand his wife even more. Vaughn, however, might not even care.
“So you have to see your President? Why?”
“To free Irina.” His eyes twinkled with a secret. “You better get ready to travel?”
“I can’t go back to the U.S.” She stated. “I would be arrested.”
“They won’t know you are there.” He smiled. “Trust me.”

WASHINGTON, D.C.
The black Lincoln pulled up to the White House VIP entrance. A very tall, distinguished looking, man climbed out followed by a young woman in uniform carrying a briefcase. Another big man left his seat next to the driver. All went through the Security door without incident. An usher met them at the door, turned and led the way inside.
In the large lobby, three more people waited to greet the party.
“I’m John Givins from State and this is DDO Alyce Murry of the CIA and her counterpart from the FBI, Albert Darrell. Welcome to Washington, General Prubokov.”
“Thank you. My aide, Anna Marovsky and my bodyguard, Grigor.” The General shook hands with everyone. “I take it I have an appointment with the President?”
“Yes.” John was puzzled. “He is waiting in the Oval Office. Why didn’t you go through the State Department, if you don’t mind me asking?”
“I believe the President of Russia called?”
Givins was startled. “I wasn’t aware that he did?”
They were walking down a busy hallway toward the West Wing, the business area of the national home of the U.S. President. Several people stopped and stared at the entourage. In the outer office, John Givins walked over to the President’s Secretary to announce the names of the visitors. She buzzed the Oval Office.
“You can go in, General…just you!”
Givins was surprised. “Shouldn’t…”
“No, Sir. The President asked to see the General first…alone.”
Mikhail took the briefcase from his assistant and entered the Oval Office.
A half-hour later the Secretary answered the intercom. “Mr. Givins, you and the others may enter now.”

LOS ANGELES
The trial judge was in his office having his last cup of coffee before going into the courtroom when a bailiff knocked and entered. “Sir,” he said, “There’s a gentleman here from the State Department, a Mr. John Givins.”
“Send him in,” said the judge, putting on his robe.
Givins entered with a briefcase. “Judge Richards?”
“Yes?”
“I’m here on behalf of the President.” He opened the briefcase and took out two envelopes that he handed to the judge. Richards opened the first letter and read it, astonishment registering on his face. “Do you know the contents?”
Givins nodded. “Yes sir, I do! I was with the President when he wrote them.”
The judge opened the other envelope, read the contents and sat back in his chair.
“I don’t think this has ever happened before at least in recent history.”
“I have to agree, sir.”
The judge glanced at the clock, just as the door opened and his bailiff stuck his head inside to say, “Courtroom’s ready, Your Honor.”
“Be right there.” The judge looked at Givins. “Better join the others.”
Five minutes later, Judge Richards looked down from his desk. Everyone was in place, including filled spectator seats and jury box.
After some whispered instructions to the bailiff, he banged his gavel. “Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury. The trial is over. Your services…” The courtroom erupted. The prosecutor jumped up. Eleanor and Jamie looked at Irina, stunned. She turned in her chair and looked at Jack questioningly.
“Quiet!” roared the judge, banging his gavel until order was restored. “As I was saying to the jury, your services are no longer needed. On behalf of this city and the federal government, I thank you for your time and energy. You are free to leave now.” He watched them being led out into the jury room. Then he turned back to the spectators. “Bailiff, see that all spectators leave this room immediately.”
There were murmurs of discontent, but the bailiffs, with the help of the marshals, gently removed everyone except the attorney’s, the defendant, Devlin, and Jack . Devlin was talking to the prosecutor and Jack looked at Irina who was just as puzzled as he was. The judge banged his gavel to get the attention of everyone left in the room.
“I know you all have questions, but, please, let me continue. Ms Derevko!”
Irina looked up at him. “According to my instructions, you are to be removed from prison tomorrow morning and flown back to Washington D. C. When you arrive, you will be put on a Russian plane and deported. You are now a persona non grata here in the U. S. Do you understand what that means?”
“I can never return.” She said quietly.
“On penalty of death. You are being released into the custody of your country. This is at the request of its President to our President.” He shook his head. “Marshals, please take the defendant back to her cell. She is to be taken to the Long Beach Airport in the morning. I understand the CIA will arrange transport.”
Irina turned around, looking at Jack. “Can you come with me?”
“I’ll try.”

That night Irina lay in her bunk asleep. She had been awake until after midnight, thinking. The Russian President had called to get her freed. He had succeeded. That must mean Papa had interfered. She wondered if Sydney had had any part in it. She would find out when she arrived in Moscow. Now…her eyes closed as sleep shut down her conscious mind.

She had been in the library at the University when he came in the room, sitting across from her. She was eighteen.
“Irina.”
She looked at him, “Khasinau!”
“You are doing very, very well in your studies. I understand you speak perfect English.”
She smiled, “Yes.” Like any eighteen-year old, she was proud of her accomplishments.
“I have a proposition for you! How would you like to live in the United States and perhaps teach there?
She stared at him. “Of course!”
“Would you be willing to serve the Rodina, your motherland, as a foreign agent?”
Irina was stunned. She was being asked to become a secret agent, a spy. Her young heart soared with excitement and eager patriotism. Her face was gleaming with pride. “Of course, I will! It would be an honor to serve.”
Then the dream wandered through a door, which opened to find her, twenty-two years later, with Khasinau again. She was sitting in front of a desk. Khasinau was beside her. It was at KGB headquarters. Her father, now a colonel, was asking them to do something for the Rodina, the motherland.
“I want you to go under deep cover. Our country is about to break apart, leaving Russia vulnerable to the thugs and gangsters that even now wear KGB uniforms.” He looked at Irina. “I want you to form an organization that will serve as a secret army to protect it from these people. You will not be based in Russia.” He handed Irina a packet. “In here are instructions, including a bank account from which you will draw your first expenses. However, in time, you will need to fund it by other means. How you do that will be up to you. Will you do it, Irina?”
“Of course, Papa. When do I start?”
“Yesterday – and one more thing, Khasinau will be your second-in-command.”
The door closed. Irina frowned in her sleep. She was not particularly fond of the man, but he had been a friend of her fathers for a long time. She was aware, however, he was just as much a “thug” as some of the men who fit the description. It was only his loyalty to her father that kept him from falling…
The scene shifted. A burning sun blazed down over a city…Barcelona! She stood on the roof looking down. Sydney was running after Khasinau who had her briefcase with all the information about her organization in it. Irina turned and ran, drawing her pistol. She knew where he was heading. She had a car stored on the premises and it took only a seconds to get it started. He’d make it unless Sydney stopped him first. She ran down the inner stairs. She stopped at the door leading into the warehouse. Then she cautiously and quietly pushed it open. Khasinau and Sydney were struggling. The briefcase was on the floor. Sydney had just won the one on one fight and had her gun pointed at the man. Irina moved quietly behind her. Khasinau watched.
“Drop the gun!” Irina ordered.
Khasinau smiled as Sydney turned to look at her mother. He grinned. Irina faced her daughter and pulled the trigger. The bullet struck Khasinau in the heart. He died staring at her in shock and the word, “why?” on his lips.
“Because you have become too greedy and are a danger to my daughter.” She thought.

Irina’s eyes opened for a moment, adjusted to her surroundings then, closed as sleep once again claimed her.

THE FLIGHT
LONG BEACH AIRPORT

The van pulled up on the tarmac next to a small business jet. The marshals got out and opened the rear doors. A minute or two later, they helped the woman down. Irina was not longer cuffed and shackled. At the foot of the stairway, the marshals turned her over to two “suits” – CIA agents waiting for her. They led her into the plane. The door shut and minutes later, it took off for Washington D. C.
She was put into a seat in the middle of the plane. They cuffed her left wrist to the armrest. As soon as she was secured, they turned and went to the front of the plane. She looked around. There didn’t seem to be anyone else on board. Then the door to the cockpit opened and Jack stood there looking at her. Her heart leaped in relief. He had been able to make arrangements to fly back with her.
“Mind if I join you?” He smiled.
“Thank you,” she said quietly.
As he moved past her, Jack caressed her right cheek with his hand. He sat down and took her right hand in his. He brought it up to his lips, “So, my darling, how did you sleep?”
“I dreamed about Khasinau last night.” She stared at the seat in front of her.
“Your second in command?”
She nodded. “He knew about Sydney being a double agent. He was too dangerous to let live.”
“So you shot him.” It was a cold statement of fact.
“Yes!” She sighed. “That happened a year ago.” She looked at him. “Enough about my dreams—my ghosts. How did you get permission to come with me?”
He smiled, his left thumb tracing the lines in the palm of her right hand. It was almost sensual. She caught her breath. “Jack, please…” She pulled her hand away, looking at him, puzzled.
“Irina, you and I have some serious talking to do.” He leaned his head in toward hers.
“About what?” She whispered.
“Secrets! Secrets that we’ve been keeping from each other.” He recaptured her hand and began stroking it. She tried pulling it back and he gripped her wrist, imprisoning it with his hand.
She looked at him surprised, “What are you talking about?”
“The President of your country calls my President about you and one day later you are free to return home. Why? Why are you so important? I want to know. Trust me. I won’t tell anyone.” He let go of her wrist. He turned in his seat to look at her. This woman whom he adored and who had caused him so much anguish and joy.
Irina looked at this man she had fallen in love with so long ago and whom she had betrayed. He was so earnest and so sincere. Trust me, he said, and suddenly, she knew she could, absolutely and without question. She looked forward and saw the two CIA agents were busy talking at the front of the plane. She still didn’t trust the CIA. She motioned for a pen. Jack handed her his along with a magazine.
She quickly wrote down, “Is the plane bugged?”
He shrugged, staring at her then said, “Honestly, I don’t know.” He leaned forward so his lips and face were only an inch or two away from her. “If we whisper, like this, no one can hear.” He looked into her eyes, leaned forward and kissed her lightly on the lips.
She gasped, then whimpered, “Jack, stop!”
He pulled back a little, then glanced behind and saw the two men were not paying any attention to them. After all, they were married. “Tell me why, Irina, you are so important to your country?”
“I am an officer of the SVR.”
“Rank?” he whispered.
“Colonel.”
“What Directorate?”
“Foreign.”
He leaned forward and kissed her again. “Now that wasn’t difficult, was it?”
“And your secret?”
“I really didn’t retire from the CIA. I just took a leave of absence.”
Irina looked at him and sensed he hadn’t told her everything. Then she saw in his eyes a look of more questions.
“We still aren’t telling each other the whole truth, are we?” She said.
“I think not.” He whispered.
She laughed. “Jack, dearest, we have got to trust each other.” She sighed then, whispered, “I’m probably going to be taking over my father’s job at SVR. I’ll be running the 1st Directorate.”
He chuckled. “and I, dear Irina, am going to be Deputy Director of Operations for the CIA!”
They looked at each other and, as if on cue, began to laugh.

this was great! i loved it...write more soon!

*sidenote: i thought it was kind of funny that some of this took place in san pedro, which is where my school is located

This is the end of Ghosts...but I'm doing another story with another writer which we'll be posting and have another one of my own. Plenty of stories to do after the season finale. Wow lots of good ideas. :rolleyes:
Thanks for all your good words. Appreciate it very much. :cool:

Late again, sorry lenafan! I am really surprised to see that jj abrams has not recruited you to write for the show! ;) I really enjoyed the last two parts, the trail was genuis. The first part, I don't mean to be harsh by any standards, but for some reason Irina/Laura wasn't as strong as she was later on in the piece. Overall, all I can say is your writtings just get better and better. I like the involvement of the other child! It was great! Can't wait for the next fic. (y) :D

Hi...this is the end of this story. No more chapters. Another story brewing. Watch for it. Probably in a couple of weeks. I'm also writing a column about Irina at another site. PM me if you want to know where.

ahhhhhh!!!!!! write more! i need to read more! its so good! i love it! keep on writing! i love it! i like to emphasize my point if you already hadnt noticed! im icky sicky today so ill be reading all the fan fics prob. and working on my own. mines called HIDDEN SECRETS. im on chapter 11. i think tis turning out pretty good. ill definately be working on it today. keep writing! i cant wait to read more!

<3, Kailyn

ps- i dont like to be SICK!

Back