Sci-Fi GI Joe: Retaliation

Alien Soup

Head Chef
G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Release: 6/29/2012

In this sequel, the G.I. Joes are not only fighting their mortal enemy Cobra; they are forced to contend with threats from within the government that jeopardize their very existence.

The film stars D.J. Cotrona, Byung-hun Lee, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park, Jonathan Pryce, Ray Stevenson, Channing Tatum with Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson. Directed by Jon M. Chu, and produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner, from a screenplay by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick based on Hasbro's G.I. Joe® characters.

"Go, Joe!"

In a last minute move Retaliation has been taken off of the 2012 release schedule. It will now be released in the Summer of 2013 so that it can be converted to 3D.

Maybe they'll do a good job if they have a year to work on it. Think Avengers scared them off?

Maybe they'll do a good job if they have a year to work on it. Think Avengers scared them off?
I think Avengers was a big part of it. It is proving to be a monster at the box office this summer and Battleship, even with less than raving reviews, is doing pretty good. Between a 'comics movie' and a 'toy movie' already out there my guess is that they felt another 'toy/comics movie' would get lost in the shuffle. Plus they are going to do something that Battleship did of releasing it first in the non-US markets to help hype it up.

Can't say I have any interest in the GI Joe movies. Played with the action figures when I was a child, but that is where the interest ended for me. Not to say you have poor taste if you like the GI Joe movies, all I am saying is that this a franchise that is not for me. More power to you if you like them.

Can't say I have any interest in the GI Joe movies. Played with the action figures when I was a child, but that is where the interest ended for me. Not to say you have poor taste if you like the GI Joe movies, all I am saying is that this a franchise that is not for me. More power to you if you like them.
It isn't a franchise that I'm a big fan of unlike the Marvel movies. The first GI Joe movie I think I caught on cable complete with commercials before watching it again on streaming Netflix. Even the first movie they changed the premise of in that it wasn't a US military team but an international unit. As a rule of thumb movies that change the source material usually don't interest. The first GI Joe movie was a decent action movie but it wasn't the "GI Joe" that I grew up with.

I finally got caught up to watching GI Joe: Retaliation.....

I watched the entire thing waiting for the fate of Duke to be revealed and... well, never mind if you haven't watched it already. I'll just say you'll be disappointed.

The first movie was a team move. An over the top silly movie with some casting flaws but still a team movie. The sequel by contrast should have been named GI Joe: The Rock Saves The World... Except for London.

I recently had a chance to rewatch this; when working I often have movies playing on the TV as background noise and this was one.

Do you know how sometimes you watch a 'bad' movie a few times and after a while it sort of grows on you and it wasn't as bad as you think it was? This is not one of those movies! :banghead:

I mean, come on, they killed ALL of the GI Joe's except for the couple you see in the movie (Roadblock, Flint, Lady Jaye, Snake Eyes). Duke, Scarlet... all of the oddball characters people grew up with in the cartoons, dead! No chance of them coming back, they are dead for good and within the first few minutes of the movie. How the heck could another movie even be made if they have killed off all of the characters?

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson fit in well as Roadblock but whomever thought the plot of this movie was a good idea should be barred from making creative decisions going further.

I mean, come on, they killed ALL of the GI Joe's except for the couple you see in the movie (Roadblock, Flint, Lady Jaye, Snake Eyes). Duke, Scarlet... all of the oddball characters people grew up with in the cartoons, dead! No chance of them coming back, they are dead for good and within the first few minutes of the movie. How the heck could another movie even be made if they have killed off all of the characters?
(bolding mine) Prequels and/or reboots (or super-secret clone technology). :smiley:

That said, your rant was exactly my rant when I got out of the movie...it was definitely a WTF moment.