Politics Global Warming

cinders

Cadet
Why have we had on eof the hottest summers and one of the coldest winters. Why is it that in my life time I've never had a snow blizzard (I live on the coast) but the last two days we've had 4 inches??? and non stop snow?? Is global warming catching up on us?

Could very well be. Sounds incredibly stupid this, I know, but I could put up with a freezing few months in winter if every year we we're gonna get a practically Mediterranean summer.

Though, that's not quite the point, is it?... :blink:

AJB Posted Today, 04:30 PM
  Could very well be. Sounds incredibly stupid this, I know, but I could put up with a freezing few months in winter if every year we we're gonna get a practically Mediterranean summer.

Yeah me too, but the point is it will only get worse and then you won't be able to put up with it -_-

*shudders* i love the weather now, its just so beautiful but i could not stand another hot summer, I'll prob move to the north pole or something, lol or just spend it hidden in my pool.

but seriously, were not made for weather like this, england isnt, our whole habitat could change

Yeah that's exactly true! But I wouldn't have a problem with hot summers, I'm slowly learning how to deal with them each year, I certainly won't get burnt from my neck to my stomach this time :smiley:

Its not even cold. And England's been colder than this, the Thames used to freeze and that hasn't happened for years so maybe we're just soft. (I am it is so cold outside, I thought I was going to freeze waiting for the bus)

Actually, the climate is getting warmer, not colder. Which would explain the seemingly excessive amounts of snow... when it's REALLY cold, it usually won't snow. Sometimes it's just too cold to snow.

The biggest problem concerning this global warming is the fact that icebergs, etc, at the north and south poles and on the tops of big mountains are beginning to melt. This is a problem because it will make sea levels rise... which is a bad bad thing for us on land.

The Kyoto Protocol went into effect this month, I do believe. However, the US refused to be a part of it, that's a big problem because the US causes more damage to the environment than all other countries.

Existentialist said:
The Kyoto Protocol went into effect this month, I do believe. However, the US refused to be a part of it, that's a big problem because the US causes more damage to the environment than all other countries.
[post="1231055"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It's no big surprise-- why does US have to be so capitalistic? Japan, Germany, New Zealand and Canda I believe adopted it why can't we be like them :-/

November 13 said:
It's no big surprise-- why does US have to be so capitalistic? Japan, Germany, New Zealand and Canda I believe adopted it why can't we be like them :-/
[post="1231234"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

No idea. But the Bush administration said that it would be bad for our economy... or something to that effect. I can't say I'm surprised.

The problems with the Kyoto protocal aren't just that America isn't in it.

None of the industrialising devolping countries like China aren't either. And I understand it is so they can industralise but thats going to make the problem worse. Sure America should cut emmissions but it must be cheaper in the long run for devolping nations to do it from the outset.

Existentialist said:
Actually, the climate is getting warmer, not colder. Which would explain the seemingly excessive amounts of snow... when it's REALLY cold, it usually won't snow. Sometimes it's just too cold to snow.

That explains why Antarctica is a desert. It's so freaking cold there that it can't snow.

The biggest problem concerning this global warming is the fact that icebergs, etc, at the north and south poles and on the tops of big mountains are beginning to melt. This is a problem because it will make sea levels rise... which is a bad bad thing for us on land.

Very bad thing. Of course, there is supposed to be runoff, but when runoff comes from places it is not supposed to be coming from, that really is not good.

[post="1231055"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:hmm: Bush and the U.S. really should have been part of it. We do cause the most damage to the environment from all our cities.

The Kyoto Protocol thing bugs me to no end. Why can't we just freaking sign it? Oh yeah, because COngress doesn't want to upset Big Business, which gives them all their campaign contributions.

And what's worse, because the U.S. doesn't ratify it, other countries, like Australia, won't either. God, we're slowly killing ourselves with our own SUVs.

hmmm maybe other countries havent joined as well, but for america being what it is and saying all that it does, you'd think theyd make a stand and sign it

AliasHombre said:
The US shouldn't let other nations dictate regulations for american buisnesses.
[post="1243411"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
With all the outsourcing going on their aren't too many companies that are strictly American.

Besides we live in a global economy, so it makes sense to have global regulations. Global warming IS happening and only with the cooperation of major powers like the U.S. can the problem be solved.

There is no point the Americans signing the Kyoto in its present form. Everyone needs to reduce emmissions. But when its going to be damaging to your economy and let others grow massivley. There is no incentive.

Back