Politics Global Warming

AliasHombre said:
With that said, its hard to buy into this agreement when one is not convinced that global warming is a man-made event.  Or a problem
[post="1244618"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Global warming might not be a problem?

:confused: Right.

The fact that the ozone layer is disappearing is a BAD thing.

With Bush's record as the environmentally the worst US president ever, I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything environment-related. And anyway, if the economy is Bush's excuse, I find that hilarious. What with his 'outstanding' economic record.

Our fool of a prime mninister follows anything Bush does, which is infuriating. :angry:

Sorry, I have experienced the opposite regarding extreme weather conditions. I live in Texas. Last summer was one of the most mildest summers and winters ever recorded. Yet in Europe I know that they had record highs.

I don't have a full understanding of this global warming stuff, I hear all sorts of conflicting stories of if it real or not. I have heard stories about NASA creating this theory of "Global Warming" so that they could get government funds to keep people working and the money coming in.

I do believe it is important to take care of the earth and that business need to be responsible for polliting their companies cause and put policies in order to prevent further polluting. But as far as global warming being real, I am not convinced.

AliasHombre said:
How did the glaciers that formed the great lakes melt?
[post="1246848"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Forewarning: I may be wrong, 'cause I haven't taken US geography in a long time...

But the Great Lakes formed after the last Ice Age, didn't they? Which means that the weather was extremely cold... and the glaciers melted and formed the great lakes after the coldness broke.

Since we're however many thousand years after the last Ice Age now, I think it's safe to say that this shift into warmer weather is not a result of a "break" in especially cold weather.

It is important to remember that global warming is a problem but it might not be man made. We had extreame weather in the 1800s, the Thames used to freeze and it snowed in Manchester in June right up to the 1980s. There isn't one distinct answer and maybe the earth has these cycles.

Records only began in the 1800s so we can only compare with then. Obviously we shouldn't be pumping carbon dioxide into the atmoshpere but there are more problems than that.

Existentialist said:
Forewarning: I may be wrong, 'cause I haven't taken US geography in a long time...

But the Great Lakes formed after the last Ice Age, didn't they? Which means that the weather was extremely cold... and the glaciers melted and formed the great lakes after the coldness broke.

Since we're however many thousand years after the last Ice Age now, I think it's safe to say that this shift into warmer weather is not a result of a "break" in especially cold weather.
[post="1247510"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
In other words, it got warmer. It got warmer without the assistance of the evil humans pollution.
Keep in mind that our existance on this planet is a tiny tiny blip on the lifespan of this planet. I dont believe that 140 years of industrialization will undo 4.5 billion years of climactic cycles.

but we have to also thinkt hat what were doing to the environment is a likely cause, i mean in the last 20years the change in climate has been expenential, surely climate change doesnt happen that fast due to just the environment

The climate change in the last 20 years has been extremely minute. We're talking 1 degree every century and in the 1800's, some of the hottest years ever were recorded, making them warmer than it is now.

AliasHombre said:
The climate change in the last 20 years has been extremely minute.  We're talking 1 degree every century and in the 1800's, some of the hottest years ever were recorded, making them warmer than it is now.
[post="1254252"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Actually that's not true. Since we started recording temperatures the top ten hottest summers have all happened since 1980.

2003 was the hottest summer on record, with thousands of people dying...especially in Europe. Scientists say that 75% of the increased risk is based on humans and not the environment.

Don't believe me? Look it up.

Deadly Hot Summers To Become The Norm By Steve Connor

tchgc.gif

Look at the middle ages on the chart. how did it get so hot without us evil humans to make it warmer? and why didn't everyone die and the world end?

I'm not saying that never happened...that event did occur without humans.

But the fact at hand is that SCIENTISTS agree that what's happening now is mainly do to global warming.

Just because you don't want to believe it's out there doesn't mean that it isn't out there.

Do you think that the earth would be getting warmer without us right now?

Did you know that of the 186 or so billion tons of carbon dioxide released each year that only 6 billion of them are from humans?

AliasHombre said:
Do you think that the earth would be getting warmer without us right now?

Did you know that of the 186 or so billion tons of carbon dioxide released each year that only 6 billion of them are from humans?
[post="1260605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't know where you're getting your information, but I did't find those statistics anywhere.

I found a report here: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Library/G...ire/fire_3.html

In it it talkes about how humans have increased the CO2 levels on earth by 25% and cause over 30% of the CO2 that's released into the atmosphere each year.

The problem isn't necessarily what we are putting in to the atmosphere. Maybe its not our fault in terms of emmissions but during the last warm period, they weren't cutting down an area of the amazon EVERYDAY that is the size of Wales. Nor did they allocate an are of the Congo (second largest rainforest in the world) that is the size of France to loggers to just cut down.

This is true. Cutting down rainforests cause tons of CO2 to be let into the atmosphere...and it is also destroying trees which would normally absorb CO2...so it's like a double edged sword.

one that is constantly being sharpened!!! I'm worried about the environmental issue, of course, but forgetting that, pumping all these chemicals in the air must obviously call out to you as not good in any circumstances, even if it cannot be proven to cause the next ice age or whatever (many scientists state it can or cause the earth to become too hot human existence cannot happen) surely we should try and use less fuel.

did anyone read the times today where it states that the effects of global warming are already too high and co2 emissions already are too big to ever be reversible, we are heading towards a grey future

cinders said:
one that is constantly being sharpened!!! I'm worried about the environmental issue, of course, but forgetting that, pumping all these chemicals in the air must obviously call out to you as not good in any circumstances, even if it cannot be proven to cause the next ice age or whatever (many scientists state it can or cause the earth to become too hot human existence cannot happen) surely we should try and use less fuel.

did anyone read the times today where it states that the effects of global warming are already too high and co2 emissions already are too big to ever be reversible, we are heading towards a grey future
[post="1264177"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I read it. It's really quite sad.

cinders said:
and to think, if ppl would have listend in 2000, it could all have been altered. but it doesnt mean we should stop trying
[post="1268669"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly. We go back and change the past, but we can change the future.

Back