Politics Global Warming

I have heard that if every country signed the Kyoto Protocal and followed it for 50 years that the global average temperature would be changed only 13 hundreths of a degree. I'll keep looking for that source

AliasHombre said:
I have heard that if every country signed the Kyoto Protocal and followed it for 50 years that the global average temperature would be changed only 13 hundreths of a degree.  I'll keep looking for that source
[post="1280314"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That could be the difference though. I hadn't heard that, but 13 hundreths of a degree could still make an impact, if that is infact true.

I think also the USA should sign such a protocal. It's the country which pollutes the air most and so on, but it's doing almost nothing for the environment.

Jamison said:
That could be the difference though.  I hadn't heard that, but 13 hundreths of a degree could still make an impact, if that is infact true.
[post="1280522"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
No, i really don't think .13 degrees makes much of a difference.

AliasHombre said:
No, i really don't think .13 degrees makes much of a difference.
[post="1283612"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

You don't think...but do you know?

Actually if you look at rising temperatures over the earth in the past few years, it usually isn't by a whole degree, but fractions of a degree...and this rising in temperatures has caused major problems.

And you haven't given the source for that information, and I honestly don't know if it's true. It seems that if pollution production was cut down, then the temperature would go down by more.

Plus, pollution is bad and eating away at the ozone. If we don't do something about it, then it's just going to get a lot worse.

I dont know how much cutting industrial output would cut rising temperatures because we make a fraction of all the CO2 put in to the atmosphere every year.

And i have a question: If people destroy the ozone layer, why is the hole over antarctica where no people are?

The Ozone hole: Why over Antarctica?

When the topic of the ozone layer arises, many people immediately think of the hole over Antarctica, but few know why the hole is actually there.  In 1985, British scientists discovered this hole.  A special condition exists in Antarctica that accelerates the depletion of the ozone layer.  Every Arctic winter, a polar vortex forms over Antarctica.  A polar vortex is “a swirling mass of very cold, stagnant air surrounded by strong westerly winds” (Roan, 126).  Since there is an absence of sun during Arctic winters, the air becomes incredibly cold and the formation of ice clouds occurs.  When the sun returns in the spring, the light shining on the nitrogen oxide filled ice particles activates the formation of chlorine.  This excess of ozone destroying chlorine rapidly accelerates the depletion of the ozone layer.  Finally, when the polar vortex breaks up, the rapid dissolution decreases.  It is evident that the effects of the polar vortex are dramatic.  “For about two month every southern spring, the total ozone declines by about 60% over most of Antarctica.  In the core of the ozone hole, more than 75% of the ozone is lost and at some altitudes, the ozone virtually disappeared in October, 1993” (Nilsson, 19).  The average size of the ozone hole is larger than most continents, including South America, Europe, Australia, and Antarctica, and the maximum size of the ozone hole in 1996 was larger than North America (See Figure 5).  Finally, one must note that the “hole” over Antarctica is truly a “hole” only in the Antarctic spring, when the depletion is extremely severe due to the vortex.

That's taken directy from this website: http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/society/ozone.htm

They also have a very interesting graph that says the percentage of responisbility for ozone damage each is caused mostly by human activity (75-85%). Natural sources only account for 15-20%, and Volcanic eruptions account for (1-5%).

So obviously humans are causing the most damage.

And we don't make just a fraction of CO2 input...I posted a statistic and just with cutting down rainforests alone we cause 30%. If you add that with all of the industrial pollution, we cause more than half of CO2 output.

Back