I ____ Believe in Global Warming

• Do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by crisisfox@Jun 27 2006, 06:36 AM
it's just to get a feel for how many people even believe that very basic fact

Again: people can't have opinions on *facts*.

For example: if we are talking about the score in the Italy-Australia game yesterday we both know the game ended 1-0 to Italy. We can choose to believe whether or not Italy deserved to win the game, we can choose to believe that one or the other was the stronger team on the night, but the actual result is a fact and therefore not subject to belief.
The first part confused me, and I drank a bit last night, so I'll try to comprehend it later. (It actually made me say "huh")

Now, the sentence, "it's just to get a feel for how many people even believe that very basic fact"

doesn't say anything about opinions.

It says they want to know how many people believe a fact.

I can believe in things that are not true, and therefore not facts. I can also have an opinion on facts. I know Bush is the president. That is a fact. My opinion is however, that he should not be and the position was stolen unrightfully.

Is my opinion correct? I certainly think so, and I know I'm not the only one. Is it a fact? Partially, it was definitely based on them.

I can also think facts are wrong, but then I am wrong (and just about where I correct myself). :D

Sorry if I sound cranky, I just woke up, tiniest hangover, and I have to go to a job interview in like 40 minutes. :smiley:

Originally posted by crisisfox@Jun 27 2006, 03:36 AM
The unwritten distinction between capitalised terms and their lesser brethren is that the former refers to a *specific* item, implying a meaning different from the linguistic. That is the difference between the Turkey that intrigues people with its deep cultural heritage and the turkey we devour at any of the major holidays. Between The Queen that rules England and the queen who probably changes back into his lumberjack clothes when he has to go to work.
I was unaware of that at the time of my post writing. My "GLOBAL WARMING" (in all caps for ease of reading and to disable any misinterpretation of my intentions) was refering to teh earth's temperature rising over the last century, and continuing to do so; cause UNSPECIFIED.

P.S. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky. (AKA I feel like I'm on trial for starting a poll, as if I'm doing something wrong by asking a simple question)

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@Jun 27 2006, 05:23 PM
I can believe in things that are not true, and therefore not facts. I can also have an opinion on facts. I know Bush is the president. That is a fact. My opinion is however, that he should not be and the position was stolen unrightfully.

"Is George W. Bush president of the United States: yes or no?"

You can't choose to believe he is not president, because that is a fact. That he is suitable to be president of any country is not a fact, so you may choose to believe it or not.

Sorry if I sound cranky, I just woke up, tiniest hangover, and I have to go to a job interview in like 40 minutes.

Belated best wishes for the interview, girl! Keep us posted so we can have a celebratory thread, like good online frieds do. ;)

P.S. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky. (AKA I feel like I'm on trial for starting a poll, as if I'm doing something wrong by asking a simple question)

Oh no you're not on trial at all, dude. There has only ever been one whole thread I have had objections against, and the mod team beat that one down like Argentina did every team other than Mexico. Making you a better debater makes for more interesting discussions with you in the future, and (under the current schedule) we are all in this for the long term ;-)

Originally posted by crisisfox+Jun 28 2006, 05:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crisisfox @ Jun 28 2006, 05:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Diviana@Jun 27 2006, 05:23 PM

"Is George W. Bush president of the United States: yes or no?"

You can't choose to believe he is not president, because that is a fact. That he is suitable to be president of any country is not a fact, so you may choose to believe it or not.

Sorry if I sound cranky, I just woke up, tiniest hangover, and I have to go to a job interview in like 40 minutes. 

Belated best wishes for the interview, girl! Keep us posted so we can have a celebratory thread, like good online frieds do. ;) [/b][/quote]
The thing is, opinions are based on facts. That is why people make them. They hear a fact and form their own additional ideas to make it their own. Sometimes they're wrong, and sometimes they're right. Sometimes they're completely out there and make everything up. They're all opinions.

And I already know I have the job, I've worked there (seasonally) twice already. I have to go back today to finish the interview because one of the managers was doing something and couldn't do the second half with me.

Originally posted by Sylvado@Jun 29 2006, 10:37 AM
Here is some interesting data on the subject.

Waterworld
Very interesting. Though, one thing I might point out is that that article does not address ecosystem changes as a result of the altered coastlines demonstrated. Not that I'm discounting his theory, just that it ignores part of the issue.

Back