• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
we had a debate about this at school--it's a really good one to get into:

is globalization:

good:
helps world economies, creates jobs, makes money, spreads ideas, enhances technologies etc etc

bad:
goes against human rights (sweat shops etc), is actually "Americanization," also called "McDomination," only the rich are getting richer, the little guy is getting cheated, small businesses can't flourish etc etc

please bring your own points

oh, and we all know globaliztion CANNOT be stopped--so try not to make that the main argument . . .

my opinion: good for U.S. BUT
bad for world

anyone else?

I just think it's sad how many cultures lose their traditions because of globalization. I love America, but I don't think the whole world has to accept our values and our way of life. As our economy spreads, though, that is exactly what happens.

it's good and bad. Benjamin Barber wrote an article, later turned into a book on the two competing forces of globalization and fragmentation called "Jihad vs. McWorld." Here is the article. we did a big unit on it in my poltics class.

I think its a great thing, and to call it Americanisation is a bit strong. A lot of countries still use British tradtions but we didn't Briticise the world. The new pidgin culture you get when you get the meeting of two culture is one of the best things about travel.

If Globalisation was done properly ie Western economies submitted themselves to the market forces like we want third world nations to do and stopped all this protectionism, then people would have true social mobility.

John Lennon said "imagine theres no countries" surely that would be the best thing in the world.

noggi16 said:
I think its a great thing, and to call it Americanisation is a bit strong. A lot of countries still use British tradtions but we didn't Briticise the world. The new pidgin culture you get when you get the meeting of two culture is one of the best things about travel.

If Globalisation was done properly ie Western economies submitted themselves to the market forces like we want third world nations to do and stopped all this protectionism, then people would have true social mobility.

John Lennon said "imagine theres no countries" surely that would be the best thing in the world.
[post="1323733"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i can see how it can be good, but i still find it sad when beautiful traditions are lost to an ever-expanding conglomerate of western corporate interests. my best friend is taiwanese-american and her parents speak a mountain dialect of chinese, sort of related to mandarin. however, with the emphasis on english and mandarin, that dialect is dying. hardly anyone in the younger generations speaks it anymore. that just seems sad to me. individual culture seems to be dying.

while i see a lot of economic benefits in globalization, i must say that people's dignity are worth more than profit. globalization not only damages the environment, but it also eliminates comepetition with non-franchised companies. globalization also takes advantage of cheap/free labor and usually develops into human rights abuses.

some would argue that it is a necessary evil to the ultimate good, but i dont believe in "end-justifying-the-means" processes.

Back