Sci-Fi Godzilla (2014)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Godzilla

Tagline: The world ends, Godzilla begins.

Genre: Action, Drama, Science Fiction

Director: Gareth Edwards

Cast: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, Al Sapienza, David Strathairn, James Pizzinato, Juliette Binoche, CJ Adams, Richard T. Jones, Victor Rasuk, Patrick Sabongui, Carson Bolde, Jared Keeso, Luc Roderique, Eric Keenleyside, Primo Allon, George Allen Gumapac Jr., Ken Yamamura, Garry Chalk, Hiro Kanagawa, Kevan Ohtsji, Kasey Ryne Mazak, Terry Chen, Mas Morimoto, James D. Dever, Akira Takarada, Yuko Kiyama, Takeshi Kurokawa, James Yoshizawa, Jason Furukawa, Brian Markinson, Ty Olsson, Gardiner Millar, Kurt Max Runte, Peter Shinkoda, Bill Marchant, Christian Tessier, Derrick Yamanaka, Peter Kawasaki, Jason Riki Kosuge, Hiroyoshi Kajiyama, Tetsuro Shigematsu, Dean Redman, Taylor Nichols, Anthony Konechny, Jake Cunanan, Yuki Morita, Jill Teed, Eli Goree, Warren Takeuchi, Chuck Church, Dalias Blake, Lane Edwards, Todd Scott, Zoe Krivatsy, Serge M. Krivatsy, Lise Krivatsy, Josh Cowdery, Steven M. Murdzia, Keo Woolford, Lynne Halevi, Martin Kogan, Sandy Ritz, Kyle Riefsnyder, Eric Breker, Jesse Reid, Melody B. Choi, Catherine Lough Haggquist, Aaron Pearl, Amy Fox, Rich Paul, Dee Jay Jackson, Erika Forest, Michael Denis, Taya Clyne, Ben Harrison, Grayson Maxwell Gurnsey, Justin Blayne Lowery, Toby Levins, Marci T. House, Chris Shields, Zach Martin, Darren Dolynski, P. Lynn Johnson, Antonio Anagaran, Kevin O'Grady, Leif Havdale, Zachary Choe, Michael Rowe, T. J. Storm, Michael Leone, Bill Blair

Release: 2014-05-14

Runtime: 123

Plot: Ford Brody, a Navy bomb expert, has just reunited with his family in San Francisco when he is forced to go to Japan to help his estranged father, Joe. Soon, both men are swept up in an escalating crisis when an ancient alpha predator arises from the sea to combat malevolent adversaries that threaten the survival of humanity. The creatures leave colossal destruction in their wake, as they make their way toward their final battleground: San Francisco.
Godzilla (2014)

Toho's Godzilla is getting another US reboot, this time in 3D by Warner Bros & Legendary Pictures.

The already completed film had a teaser shown at the San Diego Comic-Con 2012 to good reviews. The scenes shown included massive destruction of a city complete with damaged skyscrapers, derailed trains, and dead bodies. The Robert J. Oppenheimer quote "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." was used for the voice-over of the teaser.

Directed by Gareth Edwards the film supposedly returns Godzilla to his roots with a "realistic" action plot. Edwards has said that he wanted to return the character back to its roots and away from the giant dinosaur direction that Roland Emmerich went with.

The release date is scheduled for May 16, 2014. The film will be released worldwide by Warner Bros except for in Japan where it will be released directly by Toho.

A poster from the Godzilla 2014 reboot has been released at Comic-Con 2013.

Godzilla Poster.jpg

Been a big fan of Godzilla since I was about three years old. I liked the design of the last Godzilla, the movie sucked but the design of Godzilla was cool I thought, liked it better than the old versions. The movie itself suffered from the same ailment as most movies these days....it was written by retards and poorly cast.

I hope this version is a good one, I can't wait to see it!

Did anyone manage to catch a glimpse of the leaked #Godzilla trailer before it was pulled?

I didn't see the whole thing, but someone managed to save a snippet as a gif before #Warner pulled it from Youtube.

godzilla.gif

Hoping this will be a full-on Godzilla monster movie :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.. there is no way in hell that I will pay to watch this. I wouldn't even pirate it if they begged me too.

Godzilla? I mean come on.. really!?

A new international trailer for the 2014 reboot of Godzilla has dropped. Starring Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Ken Watanabe (Inception), the reboot is is a modern retelling origins story that harkens back to the classic Toho movies with Godzilla battling other "kaiju" monsters.

Below is the original main official trailer.

And, of course, the official movie poster.

Godzilla_%282014%29_poster.jpg

I really want to see this when it comes out as I've been a huge Godzilla fan since I was a kid.

Watching the new international trailer, did it remind anybody else of Cloverfield a bit? :cautious:

The smaller 30 second TV clip gives a bit of insight into why Bryan Cranston's character has a personal hatred against Godzilla.

godzilla.jpg

Godzilla (2014) - IMDb

On opening day I was at the box office to watch the new Godzilla movie in 3D.
I got a large popcorn and large drink to support my local theater.

The 3D experience has really come a long way since Jaws 3d came out.
Love the title sequences.

Up front I should tell you that Godzilla has little screentime in this first feature.
However, His appearance does make a nice impact.

The back story was interesting and flowed nicely. It was believable as long as you can get into the whole fantasy scheme/theme of the pretense of the movie.
There was no hokey aliens, no irritating kid and the actors did a pretty good job immersing you in their story.

Now, The story itself, seemed a bit rushed and I would have liked a bit more back story but to do that it would have taken away from the monster screentime and I LOVED that!

The Monsters, gotta love monsters!, were done quite well and their movement physics were pretty close to realistic.
The Mutos initiative fit todays world conditions and was quite believable from a Godzilla Movie point of view.
Godzilla origins have been reimagined and I like the ideas presented that justify his existence and his reason for appearing at the time he did.
As we age, we tend to get chubby. Well, Godzilla has gained some pounds but he wears it well. I kinda like him like this.
One important thing that the 98 mess failed to do is give Godzilla a personality and an attitude. This was well-done in this film and
I came away just loving the big guy all over again.

They have already announced there will be more movies of him coming soon. Rumor has it the next movie will have King Ghidorah, Mothera and Rodan.
We will see.
I kinda wish they would get creative and find some NEW monsters to threaten the planet but perhaps future movies will explore that.
I will go see anything they put out.

@skwirlinator, is that you?! :wideeyed:
The 3D experience has really come a long way since Jaws 3d came out.
I haven't tried a 3D movie in years. I wear prescription glasses and the solutions back then were always a bit klunky. I understand modern theaters are a different experience versus then so I may have to give it another go.
As we age, we tend to get chubby. Well, Godzilla has gained some pounds but he wears it well. I kinda like him like this.
:blush: I kind of like the idea of a 'chubby Godzilla' as it makes me think instantly back to the early Toho movies with the literal man in a rubber suit versions of Godzilla.
I kinda wish they would get creative and find some NEW monsters to threaten the planet but perhaps future movies will explore that.
For us the monsters might be old but there is a whole generation (or two) after us who never saw Godzilla before so for them everything is new. Without giving me any spoilers (I haven't see the new Godzilla 2014 movie yet) is the door left open for new monsters to be introduced or has the story been established that would only cover existing ones?

Hi Kevin!
How do I send you a PM?

I've seen this movie 7 times now. (Yup, I have a copy)
Let me just say Godzilla can't be killed.
As fo setting up for more monsters, not really.
At the time they actually thought this was going to be a 1 time movie so its driven by that.
After it did extremely well at the box office they announced more movies on the way - I stress movie'S'
At I09 if you do a search on Godzilla you can find some incredibly positive news.

I wear Rx glasses and the 3d ones fit over top perfectly - not uncomfortable at all. 3d movies have really gotten impressive. You must take the time to investigate - you will LOVE it!

When you think back to Gino in the 98 Godzilla, after seeing this one, Gino makes you think it was done to insult Godzilla Fans. I mean Gino, the back story, the actors all give you the feeling of being bitchslapped.
This Godzilla actually got my nipples hard! LOL

If you have a skype connection I can share screens with you and stream you Godzilla. I've done it already with a few of my friends and I assure you it works well. Its like a watch and audio chat. Quite fun!
TTYL
Tom

Ideas for Monsters for Godzilla to Battle

Pennsylvania Coal Mine Fire Monster

Earthquakes shake the mine fire region for a month or so. Scientists are sent to try to get a handle on whats happening. The whole region is unstable and about to collapse. It's decided, to try to control the collapse, to detonate a series of explosive charges throughout the area. Teams are put to work placing ungodly amounts of high explosives all around the area. With a countdown - they fire off the charges and the region collapses as predicted. Unpredicted, they determine the fire is now completely out because the explosives snuffed out the oxygen.

As the people start making plans for rebuilding the area a huge quake registers and the ground in the center of the region heaves upward. That night a giant underground monster excises itself from the rubble and makes way toward the nearest oil refinery. This giant creature resembles an Anguirus but it is coal black and covered with thick scales with fire red underneath. It's mouth has that of a star-nosed mole but lined with huge teeth for grinding and pulverizing rock, coal and buildings. Its tail has a huge maul on its end tipped with a thick spike.

The huge claws on its hands and feet rip the earth to shreds as it clamors across the countryside. It spits a hot corrosive bright red fliud that burns or corrodes anything in its range. Nothing can stop it.

It eats coal, drinks oil and spits acid. It has thick, hot scaly armour able to penetrate the Earth easily.

Ocata

The American West is hit by a freak meteor shower. Rocks ranging from the size of a car to that of a 5 story building rain down throughout the Rockies. One stone, about the size of a 4 story building impacts the Hoover Dam causing it to fail. The resultant flood washes down the ravine with tremendous force wiping out everything and peeling away the land. FEMA struggles to keep up with the damage and loss of life while unknown to anyone the water has exposed a huge creature long buried in the rock. A severe lighting storm strikes and awakens the monster from its hibernation.

This massive creature resembles a giant dragonfly. It unfurls it huge wings and takes to the sky. The Air Force, who is doing damage fly-overs picks up this rather large blip on the radar. They dispatch a squad to investigate. They encounter the creature and are ordered to shoot it down as it is heading toward a population center. Their attempts fail because the flying monstrosity maneuvers too quickly and they all are destroyed by it. No matter what they fire at it, the thing manages to dodge it or smash it. The monster lands in the city and immediately sprays a hot viscous fluid from it abdomen. Everything organic that the goo touches is dissolved in a matter of seconds. The creature then commences to lap up the toxic sludge with it's proboscis. It then lifts off to the west, repeating this carnage in every town & city as it goes. It eventually reaches L.A. and as it's feeding Godzilla comes ashore.